PDA

View Full Version : I just got back from Disney World.

TopDawg
1/27/2007, 09:19 PM
It was awesome.

Mjcpr
1/27/2007, 09:45 PM
I agree. We learned that June, though, is not a great month for it weather-wise. Especially if'n you're golfing.

reevie
1/27/2007, 09:53 PM
Yep. I'm looking forward to going back, just don't know when.

soonerhubs
1/27/2007, 10:09 PM
I hope we get to DisneyWorld in the next couple years. I can only imagine how awesome Epcot is. I've heard alot of good things about the Animal Kingdom as well. Did you see anyone get a prize from the whole "year of a million dreams" thing?

oumartin
1/27/2007, 11:15 PM
I truly wish that was in california and land was in florida.. California weather so much nicer. I am a wimp when it comes to humidity

Jerk
1/27/2007, 11:34 PM
I am a wimp when it comes to humidity

Son, you wouldn't last 5 minutes in the jungle. Wuss.

Jerk
1/27/2007, 11:38 PM
Sorry, Martin. Forgive me, I'm plastered.

I drove down to Houston back in 2003 to pick up a bunch of dump trucks and deliver them back to OKC. We had a 'nam vet with us.

Me: "Man, this humidity is unreal. I've never felt anything like it"

'Nam vet: "I have"

Later that night, we planned on making the trip back to OKC non-stop. Most of us had already been awake for 24 hours.

Me: "I don't know if I can make it"

'Nam vet: "Son, driving at night when you're very tired is real simple. If you fall asleep, you die"

God bless the 'Nam vets.

TopDawg
1/28/2007, 02:08 PM
I agree. We learned that June, though, is not a great month for it weather-wise. Especially if'n you're golfing.

It was colder than usual while we were there. Tuesday was "normal" January Florida weather and it was perfect. But even on the colder/rainier days, the fact that there were no lines more than made up for that.

TopDawg
1/28/2007, 02:09 PM
I hope we get to DisneyWorld in the next couple years. I can only imagine how awesome Epcot is. I've heard alot of good things about the Animal Kingdom as well. Did you see anyone get a prize from the whole "year of a million dreams" thing?

From what I'd heard about them, I expected Epcot and MGM to blow the others away. I found that I liked them all about the same...maybe Animal Kingdom just slightly less than the rest. But they were all really cool. I think if we would've watched more of the stunt shows, MGM would've been a little cooler.

Mjcpr
1/28/2007, 02:19 PM
From what I'd heard about them, I expected Epcot and MGM to blow the others away. I found that I liked them all about the same...maybe Animal Kingdom just slightly less than the rest. But they were all really cool. I think if we would've watched more of the stunt shows, MGM would've been a little cooler.

How did you like the Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest? Those were probably my favorites.

proud gonzo
1/28/2007, 02:24 PM
i went on the tower of tower twice--there was no line last time I was there. The second time we went, we knew where the camera was so we posed for the picture. So there are three of us striking a pose, our friend in the row behind us with thumbs up, grinning, and everybody else in the car screaming with horror. It's the best picture ever. :D

Mjcpr
1/28/2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, all of the rides at DW (the major rides anyway) had a camera positioned somewhere along the route.

SicEmBaylor
1/28/2007, 03:15 PM
The small world ride ruined all of my experiences with Disney World.

Universal Studios>Disney

TopDawg
1/28/2007, 06:53 PM
How did you like the Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest? Those were probably my favorites.

Yeah, those were three of my favorites. If I had to do a top 5, it would be those three and then Soarin and Mission:Space from Epcot.

Everest broke while we were on it!. We had to get out and walk to the front. They gave us passes though and we got to ride it again later. Turns out it broke right before one of the really cool parts.

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2007, 06:59 PM
'Nam vet: "Son, driving at night when you're very tired is real simple. If you fall asleep, you die"

Nothing like a 'Nam experience, but... once, I left Minneapolis at 2:00 a.m. after closing down some bar and decided to drive back to Tulsa that night rather than spending another night in my hotel. After almost hitting a bridge support in KCMO at around 9:00 a.m., I didn't have any trouble at all staying awake for the rest of the trip.

TopDawg
1/29/2007, 09:17 AM
Nothing like a 'Nam experience, but...

...I got to fight space aliens with Buzz Lightyear.

85Sooner
1/29/2007, 10:45 AM
OK, I am looking at a trip there. So how much did it set you back and what were your accomodations?

TopDawg
1/29/2007, 10:57 AM
I'll have to ask the wife about the cost. It was a birthday surprise for me. On the 20th, she informed me that we'd be leaving on the 22nd. So I'm not sure about the cost.

We stayed at Caribbean Beach, which is on Disney property and, thus, has practically round-the-clock shuttle service to each of the parks. So that was nice.

A big chunk of the total cost was the meal plan. For $38 per person per day, you get one snack (usually something about $2-3), one lunch (main item, like burger and fries, soda and dessert) and dinner (appetizer, entree, dessert and soda). The dinners we ate usually added up to about $50 per person, and then with lunch and a snack you're easily looking at over $60 per day, but at the same time, you could easily get by eating much less than the plan offers.

TopDawg
1/29/2007, 10:58 AM
Oh, and the first non-Disney person we ran into was a Boise State fan.

Mjcpr
1/29/2007, 11:21 AM
The meal plan is the way to go, I think.

85Sooner
1/29/2007, 11:29 AM
I have been using their trip planner and for 4 days for 2 adults 1-4yr old and a 1 yr old ,I keep coming up between 7-8k with the meal plan during their off peak weeks. and that is not including transportation.

Mjcpr
1/29/2007, 12:34 PM
That seems like a lot. My MIL "gifted" about 12 of us with a trip last summer and she only paid like $10k not including transportation.. I'd suggest asking a travel agent.

frankensooner
1/29/2007, 12:36 PM
We drove down last spring break and rented a villa w/pool and got 7 day passes. For a family of 5 we spent less than twenty-five hundred. Of course we went with another family, and shared expenses, but all-in-all, it was a sweet deal.

TopDawg
1/29/2007, 01:14 PM
The meal plan is the way to go, I think.

It's definitely nice to be able to approach your meals as "free" since you've already paid for them. You don't feel as guilty for splurging. Especially if you want to eat at some of the nicer restaurants.

But I'd bet you could not use the meal plan, spend about or less than $38/person/day and still not go hungry. You might have bad indigestion though. Of course, I had it anyway.

TopDawg
1/29/2007, 01:15 PM
I have been using their trip planner and for 4 days for 2 adults 1-4yr old and a 1 yr old ,I keep coming up between 7-8k with the meal plan during their off peak weeks. and that is not including transportation.

Does it tell you where you'd be staying?

85Sooner
1/29/2007, 02:43 PM
Does it tell you where you'd be staying?

I was looking at a couple of the on site hotels. One kinda looked like a glass office building.

TopDawg
1/29/2007, 02:48 PM
I was looking at a couple of the on site hotels. One kinda looked like a glass office building.

If you're talking about the Disney resorts (which have direct monorail access) then it's probably the Contemporary that you're looking at. The Grand Floridian and Polynesian are the other two. Those will be a little more expensive than the ones like we stayed at. The Caribbean Beach is still a Disney property so you can use the meal plan, key-card stuff and they have shuttles that will take you to any of the Disney properties. There are several different locations like that with variations in price, but they are all cheaper than the resorts.

Petro-Sooner
1/29/2007, 02:51 PM
Am I reading this correct? 7-10 thousand for a vacation to DW? Man.

TopDawg
1/29/2007, 03:07 PM
If that's what my wife spent, I'm gonna be a little upset.

85Sooner
1/29/2007, 04:29 PM
Oh and what is this carp that you can only visit one park per day. Maybe I won't like the park I went to and want to visit another one. That means I have to wait until tomorrow , and waste a day or get their park hopping pass. For another nice fee I might add.

Mjcpr
1/29/2007, 04:33 PM
If you don't want the Park Hopper (or whatever) pass, you should have no trouble spending an entire day in each park.

TopDawg
1/29/2007, 04:34 PM
Oh and what is this carp that you can only visit one park per day. Maybe I won't like the park I went to and want to visit another one. That means I have to wait until tomorrow , and waste a day or get their park hopping pass. For another nice fee I might add.

Epcot and Magic Kingdom could easily take up a whole day...especially during the summer. Animal Kingdom and MGM aren't quite full-day experiences. MAYBE MGM could be, but it'd probably be a little bit of a stretch. You'd have to take in a lot of their shows.

But we got the park-hopper. It was nice. It's probably a good thing I wasn't aware how much she was spending on this thing.