PDA

View Full Version : CNN/SI Mock Draft -- Peterson

Easting
1/27/2007, 09:19 PM
They have him going to the Texans at number 8.

I'm only concerned, because unless he goes to Dallas, I won't get to see him play as often :(

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/01/26/mock.draft1.part1/index.html

Eielson
1/27/2007, 09:19 PM
I don't see why somebody as talented as Adrian Peterson would settle for the #8 pick.

Easting
1/27/2007, 09:24 PM
He'll have to settle for whoever drafts him. Number 8 money is still great! But yeah, it's not like 3-5 money.

SoonerGirl06
1/27/2007, 09:28 PM
I'd rather he go to the Texans than Dallas. Not a big Jerry Jones fan.

Unless Dallas gets a coach that's strong with the running game, I don't see his talents being utilized very well there.

birddog
1/27/2007, 09:31 PM
He'll have to settle for whoever drafts him. Number 8 money is still great! But yeah, it's not like 3-5 money.

the real money is made after you prove yourself in the league. i think ad will do that then get a contract comparable to tomlinson.

85sooners
1/27/2007, 09:40 PM
:pop:

kevpks
1/27/2007, 10:02 PM
AD is also a very marketable player. I can see it now: shoes, video games, soup, etc.

Texas Golfer
1/28/2007, 12:09 AM
I don't see why somebody as talented as Adrian Peterson would settle for the #8 pick.

I think he's satisfied knowing that he'll be the first RB picked.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/28/2007, 03:41 AM
if he goes to the texans he'll have a great shot at playing and he'll stay in the area. with dominick davis coming off injury and davis' main strength IMO is pass catching to stretch defenses (hes the poor mans LT), i think AD would get a good shot at getting the majority of carries and id like to see how he does with that

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/28/2007, 08:29 AM
here's the best mock draft database on the web. there's a TON of mock draft sites.

http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

Blitzkrieg
1/28/2007, 11:03 AM
the real money is made after you prove yourself in the league. i think ad will do that then get a contract comparable to tomlinson.

Not really, and not for a running back because of the risk of injury. The first contract is very important is establishing what you will get paid from that day forward. However, if you get overpaid on your first contract, you'll get flushed out of the league even faster.

Jimmy Wilkerson is a perfect example of this. He is getting jobbed by Karl Petersen and the Chiefs because he came out early and was asked to prove himself first before he gets paid. Jimmy is a few years into a deal and is still not getting paid what he should, because he has to take the deal offered him . One injury and it's all over with for him.

For a running back, it's even more important because your shelf life is so short in the NFL, just ask Q Griffin. You'll never get a chance to redo that first contract, that's why fans have a hard time relating to guys holding out when they are getting offered huge money, but the players understand they have to get that contract as big as possible, because if they come in and kick arse, they aren't going to pay you any more that what the contract says in black and white. The odds of you getting paid what you are worth as a free agent running back are very small, because one knee injury and it's over. Teams view running backs as expendable, moreso that almost any other position.

AD needs to make big bucks, and needs to set the combines on fire and run some blazing 40s for teams. They will freak out at his physical skills, I just wish we could have passed him more balls in his career so that question mark wouldn't be hanging over him right now.

JohnnyMack
1/28/2007, 11:58 AM
The teams in the draft that need help at RB are Oakland (who needs a QB even worse than they need a RB), Cleveland and Houston. Possibly Minnesota. Teams like Detroit, Washington, Arizona and Tampa aren't in the market for a RB. I think when it's all said and done AD will wow a lot of people at the combine and will end up at Cleveland at #3 or #4 overall.

birddog
1/28/2007, 01:21 PM
if he goes to the texans and runs for 2,000 yards and 500+ yards receiving in 2 seasons, they will have to pony up the cash or some other team will.

LittleWingSooner
1/28/2007, 04:11 PM
AD won't fall to number 8. He probably goes 3rd at worst. Someone will trade up for him.

SoonerLB
1/28/2007, 07:06 PM
3rd would probably be a "best" scenario. 8th is probably more realistic, but a good showing at the combine can change a lot of opinions.
As much as we all want the best for him, he still has to overcome those that doubt his pass catching ability, and have concerns about him being prone to injury. Even though those concerns are not that big, they are still there. We all tend to look at AD from the fan standpoint, those people are looking at production levels, or the probability of such.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2007, 07:17 PM
i will be shocked if he goes past the browns at number 4. i know they have definitely showed a great deal of interest

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2007, 07:25 PM
Not really, and not for a running back because of the risk of injury. The first contract is very important is establishing what you will get paid from that day forward. However, if you get overpaid on your first contract, you'll get flushed out of the league even faster.

Jimmy Wilkerson is a perfect example of this. He is getting jobbed by Karl Petersen and the Chiefs because he came out early and was asked to prove himself first before he gets paid. Jimmy is a few years into a deal and is still not getting paid what he should, because he has to take the deal offered him . One injury and it's all over with for him.

For a running back, it's even more important because your shelf life is so short in the NFL, just ask Q Griffin. You'll never get a chance to redo that first contract, that's why fans have a hard time relating to guys holding out when they are getting offered huge money, but the players understand they have to get that contract as big as possible, because if they come in and kick arse, they aren't going to pay you any more that what the contract says in black and white. The odds of you getting paid what you are worth as a free agent running back are very small, because one knee injury and it's over. Teams view running backs as expendable, moreso that almost any other position.

AD needs to make big bucks, and needs to set the combines on fire and run some blazing 40s for teams. They will freak out at his physical skills, I just wish we could have passed him more balls in his career so that question mark wouldn't be hanging over him right now.

All true. But we also have to consider that another year in college will shorten AD's NFL career by a year. That extra year of work could very well make up for the difference in pick #8 vs. pick #3 or #4 money. Also, while staying in another year could move him up a few spots, there's also the chance that it will move him down spots if he's injured yet again.

JohnnyMack
2/14/2007, 11:28 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7149535/

Aries
2/15/2007, 08:12 AM
It doesn't really matter what AD "needs" to get, or for that matter what anyone thinks he's worth. Salaries of draft picks are slotted, if AD is picked number 8, his contract will fall somewhere between what number 7 and number 9 get. There is a little wiggle room there, but not much.

His only option if he isn't satisfied with where he's drafted is to sit out a year, and hope to be drafted higher in 2008. I don't see that happening.

LittleWingSooner
2/15/2007, 11:12 AM
AD isn't going to fall to number 8. Someone will trade up and get him if he falls bellow the top 3.