PDA

View Full Version : No WAY! Duke got help at home?

colleyvillesooner
1/26/2007, 07:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2744216

ACC admits to 'timing error' in final seconds
Associated Press

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Atlantic Coast Conference admitted Friday that a timing error was made in the closing seconds of No. 10 Duke's 68-66 win over Clemson (No. 17 ESPN/USA Today, No. 19 AP).

Coordinator of basketball officials John Clougherty said the ACC reviewed the game video and discussed the clock controversy with the officials, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski and Clemson coach Oliver Purnell.

"The league acknowledges that a timing error was made in not starting the game clock at the correct time," said Clougherty, adding the situation was resolved internally but did not elaborate.

The confusion started shortly after Clemson's Vernon Hamilton made a layup to pull the Tigers to 66-63 with 5 seconds left.

Josh McRoberts' inbounds pass for Greg Paulus went right to Hamilton just outside the 3-point arc. Hamilton hit a 3 to tie it with 1.8 seconds left, which seemed to have the game headed for overtime.

But officials stopped play to review the time remaining and restored the clock to 4.4 seconds. The clock, which stopped on Hamilton's layup, did not restart on the steal until the ball was almost in the basket -- a pause of more than a second. (more like 2)

McRoberts then inbounded the ball to Jon Scheyer. He pushed the ball near midcourt and passed to David McClure, who made a layup as time expired to give the Blue Devils the win.

"I am satisfied with their review in this matter," Purnell said Friday. "We now need to put 100 percent of our focus on our game with Virginia on Sunday, and that is what we will do, starting with today's practice."

A Duke spokesman did not immediately return a telephone message Friday seeking comment from Krzyzewski.

OUstud
1/26/2007, 07:39 PM
What I was surprised about was how little of a deal the announcers were making of it.

GrapevineSooner
1/26/2007, 10:01 PM
So when can we expect Bob Knight to protest this injustice? ;)

Ash
1/26/2007, 11:34 PM
So when can we expect Bob Knight to protest this injustice? ;)

dang it! that was MY line!!! ;) :D

josh09
1/27/2007, 12:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2744216

OREGON FOOTBALL!

tulsaoilerfan
1/27/2007, 12:56 AM
Just another reason why most everyone can't stand the Dukies

badger
1/28/2007, 02:58 PM
if you recall, there were two game clock issues at LNC a few years back (one involving bobby knight's tech, the other involving osu, if i remember correctly). OU publicly resolved the issue, stating they were letting the time clock guy go.

it really sounded like the time clocker was a sooner fan trying to help his team out... looks like he should have done his job, and let the team do theirs, in retrospect.

John Kochtoston
1/29/2007, 12:26 AM
if you recall, there were two game clock issues at LNC a few years back (one involving bobby knight's tech, the other involving osu, if i remember correctly). OU publicly resolved the issue, stating they were letting the time clock guy go.

it really sounded like the time clocker was a sooner fan trying to help his team out... looks like he should have done his job, and let the team do theirs, in retrospect.

Didn't it come out that, even if the clock had run correctly, OU still would have been able to get the game-tying shot off? I'm asking.

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 12:31 AM
Would've been close. There are many instances throughout a game (basketball or football) where the clock isn't started/stopped properly. They just get magnified at the end of games. I think the thing in Norman was a bit more blatant than the thing in Durham, but the refs made a horrible decision to only take .6 seconds off the clock for someone to catch, set, and shoot a 3-pointer... Ridiculous.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2007, 08:43 AM
Would've been close. There are many instances throughout a game (basketball or football) where the clock isn't started/stopped properly. They just get magnified at the end of games. I think the thing in Norman was a bit more blatant than the thing in Durham, but the refs made a horrible decision to only take .6 seconds off the clock for someone to catch, set, and shoot a 3-pointer... Ridiculous.

The Duke mistake should have been 2 more seconds off the clock. They showed it on sportscenter. It was just as bad and blatant as the one at our game.

NormanPride
1/29/2007, 11:37 AM
I remember the Spurs getting beat by the Lakers a few years back on a last second shot. .4 left in the game, the Lakers inbound the ball. Fisher turned, set, and shot before the clock had even started. :mad:

It just happens. There's a natural delay in what the timer sees and what the finger pressing the button does. Every once in awhile, things get a bit messier than normal.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2007, 12:38 PM
Must be a pretty slow guy if his natural reaction is 2 seconds. :D

OSUAggie
1/29/2007, 01:32 PM
The Duke mistake should have been 2 more seconds off the clock. They showed it on sportscenter. It was just as bad and blatant as the one at our game.

The Duke guy also did eventually start the clock and ran it until there were under 2 seconds left. The refs are the ones that reviewed the play and decided that it only takes .6 seconds to catch, set, and shoot a 20-footer.