PDA

View Full Version : My Grandpa is a Hero

achiro
1/25/2007, 07:45 PM
He rarely talked about it when I was young, about all we knew as kids was that during WWII he was a medic. He has opened up about it a bit in the last couple of years and tears flow to this day as he remembers those days he spent in Europe. He is always very humble in his descriptions and rarely takes credit for anything he did. I can only imagine how many men he helped to save and how many he comforted as they drifted away. He talks of being with Patton’s 3rd Army at Bastogne and the Remagen Bridge seems to be the one place he talks about most, he was with one of the first groups to cross after it was taken. There are many more but coming in small snippets, like the “screaming mimi’s” that caused trees to literally explode around him, or the day another medic took his place in a jeep and was shot just after leaving the camp. I’ve never seen him talk about it more than a short time without breaking down, that’s how most of the conversations would end. He did earn a purple heart, a bronze star with at least one cluster, and several other medals that I don’t know. The only way I ever saw them was if I snuck in and dug his blouse from the back of his closet. His love for our country has never wavered and he has stated several times that he would do it again in a heartbeat.

Shortly after returning home he became a pastor and continued to preach the gospel from the pulpit until just a few years ago when he retired, he continues to preach it to anyone that will sit with him for more than a few minutes. In the aspect of his faith and love I have never met a more incredible man. In my 36 years I have never heard him say a curse word, and never anything in anger. Once in a while, he will speak of enjoying a beer with his buddies before the war but never had a drop after he gave his life to Christ. Over the years, those that considered him a fool for his cause or even an enemy, well…he would just pray for them even harder. An amazing man with strength of faith stronger than anyone I know. I’ve always seen him as a giant among men, not that he was particularly tall, in fact just about average. No, what I mean is that in his younger days, he was the type that would demand notice of a room without a word but just by walking into it. He was a guest pastor at a local church just a little over a month ago and even though his weakened body caused him to sit for much of the time, he showed that age had not weakened his ability to captivate a room.
Unfortunately this would be the last time for him to preach to a crowd. He was diagnosed with cancer just a few months ago with no hope of recovery, it has happened quicker than any of us could have imagined. Just two weeks ago he was talking about getting a pool table to give him something to do...this week he started morphine. Since Sunday, his catheter bag has been slowly filling with blood. The pain meds keep him asleep most of the time and when he is awake he speaks little more than a couple of words at a time. Yesterday he began talking to his mother and father as if they were in the room. Hospice tells us that this is a normal thing in the last few days and it won’t be long. Seeing him go through this is the toughest thing I have ever had to witness. I would love for him to wake up and be aware just one more time so I can tell him how much I love him but I am not selfish…I just pray that God takes him quickly, he shouldn’t have to hurt like this anymore. I hugged him tight today and told him goodbye, he was nothing but skin and bones…his body is just a shell of it former self but he’s still my grandpa, he is still my hero.

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2007, 07:56 PM
Best wishes for you and your family. Your grandfather is what America is all about.

Do you know what unit he was with? I only ask becuause the Remagen Bridge was captured by 1st Army not 3rd.

OUHOMER
1/25/2007, 08:35 PM
your grandpaw is my hero too. prayers for him and all of your family

achiro
1/25/2007, 08:41 PM
Best wishes for you and your family. Your grandfather is what America is all about.

Do you know what unit he was with? I only ask becuause the Remagen Bridge was captured by 1st Army not 3rd.
He wasn't there during the capture. Just after when they went across. I don't know for sure what his actual unit was, he's told me but I'm not coming up with it. I do know that as a medic, he was sent where he was needed, whether that crossed units or not, i don't know.

BoogercountySooner
1/25/2007, 08:50 PM
My heartfelt prayers for you and your grandfather buddy!

olevetonahill
1/25/2007, 08:54 PM
GrandPa SALUTE

picasso
1/25/2007, 09:12 PM
major props to your grandfather.
those stories remind me of my father who is just now starting to tell a few details of his year of fighting in Korea. It also reminds me of many of the men from Easy Company whose children had no idea about what their fathers had done prior to the book.
quite a special generation.

BajaOklahoma
1/25/2007, 09:19 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
It is very hard to watch them go through this.

My f-i-l's family kept all of the letters he sent to them during the war. My m-i-l typed them up and gave a copy to each of his kids. A copy is also in the National Archives - to help people understand what it was really like.

TUSooner
1/25/2007, 09:21 PM
That's a beautiful statement of love and admiration. I offer my prayers for you, him, and your family. May he go home to the LORD in peace.

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2007, 09:25 PM
I lost my grandfather a week into my freshman year of college. My mother and I feel guilty to this day because he had been in and out of the hospital for a long time and was in the hospital when I was moving down to Waco. It was on the way (Durant), but we didn't stop becuase I was in a hurry to get to school. That would have been the last time I had seen him.

He was a 1st Sgt. in a recon platoon in the 1st Cavalry Division and took part in every invasion from New Guinea to the Philippines.

He was one of the finest men I've ever known and never finished school beyond the 8th grade but he was also one of the smartest men I've ever known. He taught himself how to work the stock market and although he worked as a mechanic and at a gas station his entire life he was able to invest enough to keep his family comfortable and send 3 kids through college (and later OU law for my uncle) at the same time.

Howzit
1/25/2007, 09:30 PM
your grandpaw is my hero too. prayers for him and all of your family

Ditto.

Very nice post, Russ. Thank you for sharing that.

crawfish
1/25/2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks, dude. Enjoyed the story. You have a grandpa to be proud of.

usmc-sooner
1/25/2007, 09:41 PM
ohrah

your grandpa was a man among boys

OKC-SLC
1/25/2007, 10:11 PM
sounds like as fine a man as there ever was.

Tailwind
1/25/2007, 11:25 PM
My heartfelt condolences for a fine man, a man of God. May he go in peace and I know that you'll cherish the memories.

olevetonahill
1/25/2007, 11:42 PM
Achiro Please do not take this the wrong way ok ?
Your Granpa sounds like the Kinda Man that beatch slap you and Say I wernt no Hero Boy . The REAL heros are the ones I was trying to help .
That attitude MAKES him a HERO to me

PhxSooner
1/26/2007, 12:10 AM
Wow. What an amazing tribute to your grandfather. God bless.

OklahomaTuba
1/26/2007, 12:42 AM
They aren't kidding when they call that generation, the Greatest Generation.

I've seen way too many people in my own family go through the same thing, and I just can't help but wonder why. Why such a horrible end.

God bless you and your Grandfather. Without a doubt this world is a better place because he lived, and lived he did.

olevetonahill
1/26/2007, 12:43 AM
Wow. What an amazing tribute to your grandfather. God bless.
What I was thinkin .
Should be read as an euolgy at his Funeral .

SicEmBaylor
1/26/2007, 12:49 AM
What I was thinkin .
Should be read as an euolgy at his Funeral .

I gave my grandfather's eulogy. I wrote a fantastic one ending with a MacArthur quote who he loved and adore, but I couldn't get to the end. I broke down and had to quit.

SoonerJack
1/26/2007, 08:56 AM
lump. in. throat.

achiro
1/30/2007, 10:52 PM

He was in the 9th armored division. My facts may not be exact but they were from memory and pretty close as far as I can tell.

http://www.lonesentry.com/usdivisions/history/armored/division/9th_armored_division.html

achiro
1/30/2007, 10:56 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that grandpa went home Sat. morning. Services will be tomorrow morning here in Enid and he will be buried at the National Cemetery in FT. Gibson in the afternoon.

I would like to thank everyone for their support here and in the PM's I received. They helped more than you will ever know.

OKC-SLC
1/30/2007, 11:10 PM
our condolences, buddy.

GottaHavePride
1/30/2007, 11:40 PM
Sounds like your granddad was one to remember, achiro. Reminds me of mine, except mine was a paratrooper. Jumped ou of planes all over France and Germany. He never said a word about it that I can remember.

olevetonahill
1/31/2007, 12:04 AM
Give Him a Final Salut from me

85Sooner
1/31/2007, 08:49 AM
Great Story! Godbless him and your family during this terrible time. The good news is, I am sure God has a front row seat for him and is looking forward to hearing his stories about you.

sooner_born_1960
1/31/2007, 09:47 AM
Yes, he is.

sooner n houston
1/31/2007, 10:36 AM
May God bless you all.