PDA

View Full Version : Freakin Sports Illustrated

lexsooner
1/25/2007, 07:10 PM
Just when we thought it was forgotten, SI has to come out with a lengthy article this week about the three trick plays which beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl. It was essentially a long recap of the whole game, like we wanted to hear about it again. It was even a longer article than they had last week about the BCS title game.

Then last week their pre-season 2007 top 15 does not even include OU, even though we are loaded for next season.

BASSooner
1/25/2007, 07:34 PM
can u say, BIASED?

picasso
1/25/2007, 07:40 PM
it's still not as bad as the days of Douglas S. Looney. the all consumed hater of all that is OU football.

MichiganSooner
1/25/2007, 08:38 PM
Personally, I thought it was a good article. I don't subscribe to SI but a friend of mine brought it to me to read.
At the end, Rufus Alexander was quoted as saying something like--I was disappointed in the outcome but it will go down as one of the best games ever and I consider it an honor to have played in it.

Texas Golfer
1/25/2007, 08:49 PM
SI has never been an OU supporter but, in this case, it does make for interesting reading.

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/25/2007, 08:52 PM
OU players have been on the cover a few times...For good things

Let's not bring the mob and torches just yet.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/25/2007, 08:52 PM
Personally, I thought it was a good article. I don't subscribe to SI but a friend of mine brought it to me to read.
At the end, Rufus Alexander was quoted as saying something like--I was disappointed in the outcome but it will go down as one of the best games ever and I consider it an honor to have played in it.
I also liked what Bob Stoops told the players, to not hang their heads and said that it was an honor to be part of a great game like that, even in defeat. I totally agree with what he did. In fact, even after the Statue of Liberty play, I didn't get mad or anything like that, I just stood up and applauded for one of the greatest games I've ever seen, win or lose. I took that loss a whole lot easier than I did the Oregon or Texas games.
Stuff like that makes me so glad that Bob's our head coach.

badger
1/25/2007, 08:54 PM
Time (owned of sports illustrated) is cutting hundreds of employees. I guess they decided they had enough :D

oumartin
1/25/2007, 09:04 PM
BSU pulled off two the of the greatest plays I have witnessed and the two point conversion was pure genius. Just give it up to BSU and go get em next year.

picasso
1/25/2007, 09:07 PM
OU players have been on the cover a few times...For good things

Let's not bring the mob and torches just yet.
since Stoops, yes. they crapped on us in the 70's and 80's. go back and look at the cover when we won the title in '85.

has Maurice Clairnett been on the cover going to jail? just curious.

starrca23
1/26/2007, 10:49 AM
I haven't been able to read it yet. Just can't do it.

Fraggle145
1/26/2007, 10:59 AM
SI has never been an OU supporter but, in this case, it does make for interesting reading.

Actually they were before our longest winning streak in college football was broken... We were the original cover jinx... The title that week, "Why Oklahoma is Unbeatable"

PDXsooner
1/26/2007, 11:31 AM
i was expecting more "SI hates OU talk" as if SI gives a rat's *** about OU. i also love the "ESPN hates OU", NBC hates OU", and "God hates OU" talk - so entertaining!

BIG_IKE
1/26/2007, 11:45 AM
Why do we spend so much time whining and caring about what people that don't matter think about OU?? It reminds of seeing Stoops fuss all year at refs...and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of it. We are slowly turning into a pouty, whiny fan base...and for what?!?!
We are the Greatest College Football Program! We don't need to be validated by any person, magazine, newspaper or cable show. Our record and reputation speak for itself.

TexasLidig8r
1/26/2007, 12:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Each week it seems to be something new.. "ESPN hates us!"... "SI is biased against us!!" "ABC hates us now!".. "the media is not our supporter."

Well you know what.... The media in general don't hate or love ANY TEAM! They are interested in one thing and one thing alone.. that is.. increasing their circulation, advertising revenue and profitability. THAT'S IT! The media is not there to support or denigrate any one team. They want to publish stories, or broadcast reports which generate the most interest, resulting in more people who read their fishwrappers or watch their broadcast. THAT'S IT!

There are broadcaster and/or writers who do appear to have "chips" on their shoulders. Yet, the media keeps them employed because they bring consumers to the product, they create more interest which they can use to bring in more revenue.

Enough with the wah wah wah, all the media hates us! The media wants your money and attention.. they don't care if they get it by fellating you in the middle of Aunt Bessie's petunias or by casting you as a renegade program. It's all about the MONEY!

MyT Oklahoma
Why do we spend so much time whining and caring about what people that don't matter think about OU?? It reminds of seeing Stoops fuss all year at refs...and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of it. We are slowly turning into a pouty, whiny fan base...and for what?!?!
We are the Greatest College Football Program! We don't need to be validated by any person, magazine, newspaper or cable show. Our record and reputation speak for itself.

I agree 100%. Thanks for saying this.

picasso
I spend zero time thinking about it but it's a fact.

I'll give you a quick example of ESPN. A few years ago they had their top 10 all freshman basketball team.
no, and I said no mention of Wayman Tisdale.

he was only the FIRST consensus true freshman All-American.:rolleyes:

stoopified
1/26/2007, 12:06 PM
SI does in fact LOVE OU.When we are on top they put us on their cover and praise us to the heavens.When we fall they LOVE to cover THAT story too,in every last heart- breaking detail.I personally will never subscribe to SI because of the tacky,inexusable Thompson cover and venom-filled articles they wrote in that time frame.I WILL however buy every OU player cover issue I can find from past and future.I have a 1955 Wilkinson cover and am still searching for that elusive 1957 UNBEATABLE cover.

fadada1
1/26/2007, 12:18 PM
lid's ticked that nobody hates his team... except most college football fans.

;)

TUSooner
1/26/2007, 12:24 PM
can u say, BIASED?

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8288/kneejerkreactionuu6.jpg

Partial Qualifier
1/26/2007, 12:26 PM
Who reads SI anymore?? Serious question. I haven't picked up an S.I. since the advent of teh modern-day Intarweb.

TUSooner
1/26/2007, 12:28 PM

Each week it seems to be something new.. "ESPN hates us!"... "SI is biased against us!!" "ABC hates us now!".. "the media is not our supporter.",

Well you know what.... The media in general don't hate or love ANY TEAM! They are interested in one thing and one thing alone.. that is.. increasing their circulation, advertising revenue and profitability. THAT'S IT! The media is not there to support or denigrate any one team. They want to publish stories, or broadcast reports which generate the most interest, resulting in more people who read their fishwrappers or watch their broadcast. THAT'S IT!

There are broadcaster and/or writers who do appear to have "chips" on their shoulders. Yet, the media keeps them employed because they bring consumers to the product, they create more interest which they can use to bring in more revenue.

Enough with the wah wah wah, all the media hates us! The media wants your money and attention.. they don't care if they get it by fellating you in the middle of Aunt Bessie's petunias or by casting you as a renegade program. It's all about the MONEY!
He's sooooo right, you know. This persecution complex manifested by some of our fellow Sooners is a flat-out DISGRACE. So stop with the ****ing whining already !!

sooner518
1/26/2007, 01:28 PM
i dont think ESPN or SI are biased against us, but I cant read that article. I tried, but I just cant

Seamus
1/26/2007, 02:11 PM
they don't care if they get it by fellating you in the middle of Aunt Bessie's petunias or by casting you as a renegade program.

NO, NO, NO. It was cunnilingus with cousin Daisy in the hydrangeas. :cool:

Fraggle145
1/26/2007, 03:49 PM
However they feel about us; they sure are reluctant to through USC under the bus with Reggie Bush. Yet, we were a renegade program when we dealt with our problem. just sayin...

TUSooner
1/26/2007, 06:57 PM
i dont think ESPN or SI are biased against us, but I cant read that article. I tried, but I just cant
I'm not even gonna try. :O

zeke
1/26/2007, 07:17 PM
this is the 1st time that i can agree with texlid8r

elderlysooner
1/26/2007, 08:50 PM
You just have to face facts. BSUwas a heLL of a lot better than most people thought they were.http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif
Cool

AzianSooner
1/26/2007, 09:16 PM
If OU wins a NC, all newspaper including sport freaking stuff there have to praise us. Otherwise, we just try to kick the hell of anyteam on our way to another NC.

Nuff's said.