PDA

View Full Version : ? for people in the Music business

OUHOMER
1/25/2007, 05:26 PM
Ok, here’s the deal. I have friend whose daughter can sing, I mean she can really sing. He brought a CD by today and I could not believe it. Which now prompts question?

She was at Toby Keith’s the other night for some kind of Elvis night and opened the show. Got a standing ovation etc.

But here are a few questions. She has some songs she has written but does not play an instrument. Does not know how to write music. How does a young singer get someone to write the music part?

How does someone get the music played…?

Basically how does one get started down the road in the music business?

By the way she is just 11 years old.

And she may be stopping by the SO later, so lets be nice

:pop:

crawfish
1/25/2007, 05:27 PM
By the way she is just 11 years old.

Well, that eliminates about 75% of the usual responses...

yermom
1/25/2007, 05:31 PM
if she's that young and talented, she should probably start learning real music, i would think... like reading and writing and probably playing something like piano

as far as getting someone to write songs and getting music played, that is what the sleazy music types are for ;)

i mean in the real music business i think someone would have to sign her and get her working a producer and/or song writer some studio time which would involve fronting some cash

at least that is how i understand it

OUHOMER
1/25/2007, 05:32 PM
Well, that eliminates about 75% of the usual responses...

I thought i had better mention that little tidbit:D

yermom
1/25/2007, 05:35 PM
will she be hawt in 7 years? :D

Ike
1/25/2007, 05:37 PM
my guess...it'll take a bit of cash.
you can hire musicians to play the instruments and/or transcribe the music.

In my opinion, I'd start her off with piano lessons though. Teach her how to read music and then perhaps she'll figure out how to transcribe whats in her head. She may figure out at the same time some music to go with her songs.

GottaHavePride
1/25/2007, 06:24 PM
I don't have time right now, but I'll post a good response in here later tonight.

Short version - there are a lot of options, but you have to be careful who you're dealing with. I'll 'splain more later.

OUHOMER
1/25/2007, 06:28 PM
I don't have time right now, but I'll post a good response in here later tonight.

Short version - there are a lot of options, but you have to be careful who you're dealing with. I'll 'splain more later.

Thanks,
:pop:

apusooner
1/25/2007, 07:14 PM
tell her to start taking piano and/or guitar lessons. probably piano, that will help teach to read and write music. if she's in the norman area, i would suggest mcmichael music. also, she should consider voice lessons. nobody is too good for lessons. a teacher would be able to help write down the music and get the process started, then send a tape to talent agencies. just my opinion. teachers can get you gigs.

olevetonahill
1/25/2007, 08:14 PM
If the songs shes writing are good she needs to get em copyrighted
Just sayin . GHP or someone else will No Mo about that

GottaHavePride
1/26/2007, 01:48 AM
OK, here goes.

As apusooner said, lessons on piano would be a big help - I'll get to why in a bit. Also, yes voice lessons will help, but the parents need to do some checking when finding a voice teacher. If the girl has and/or wants a pop/rock type voice, you need to keep that in mind. Someone teachin her to sing operatically will not be the best thing. In other words, just make sure the person doing the teaching is familiar with the right style of singing.

It's also good to make sure the teacher knows what they're doing - singing incorrectly can damage your voice. As an example: check out recent recordings of Elton John or Billy Joel compared to their old recordings. There's a reason they can't sing their old stuff anymore - they screwed up their voices by doing stuff wrong. On the other hand, Sting sounds the same now as he did 20+ years ago.

now, about getting someone to write out the music for her: are you talking just writing stuff for drums/guitars/bass/keyboards or are you talking like adding horn sections to the songs? Because the two require different skills in writing. To write out stuff for drums/bass/guitars/keyboards you really only need a lead sheet to pull of a tune with good musicians. And by "lead sheet" I mean a page that has the melody written out with words to the verses and choruses along with chord symbols that tell the musicians what chords go behind the melody. Anything else the rhythm section should be able to do on their own. Plus (so long as you have GOOD musicians) the more freedom you leave them the better they'll be able to use their talent.

On the other hand, writing for a horn section requires a lot more detail - you have to know all about the instruments you want in the section, how to use them, and so on. Slightly more complicated. Either way, a teacher or music arranger should be able to help get stuff written down, although it will be a lot cheaper and faster (in the long run) to learn to write it out yourself.

Again about the piano lessons: piano lessons will teach the girl several things - it will teach how to read (and write) music, it will teach about how chords are structured and function, and so on. Also, if the teacher is good it should show the girl about chord symbols, what they mean, standard chord progressions, and all the other stuff you need to write your own music. After that, it's just a matter of practicing until you get to the point that you can write it down like you want it to sound.

About getting the music played: first you have to have the tunes you want to play written out in some way that's enough for the other musicians to learn how the tune goes. then you have to find musicians. In my experience that's the hardest part - finding people to fill out a band that are all onboard with the idea and can play the hell out of their instruments. I don't really have a lot of helpful advice here. If the girl is good enough that an agent might pick her up, and agent can usually find musicians that are at least good enough to record some demos or play a few gigs to start out. After a while around a music scene you start to pick up on which people are hacks and/or posers and which can really play.

About copyright: as soon as you write down or record a tune in any way, it's already copyrighted. It helps to put a note on the page somewhere that says "Copyright 2007 GHP". (obviously she would use her name instead of mine.) You CAN register your copyright with the U.S. Government - you have to submit an application, a registration fee ($30 I think), and a physical copy of what you're copyrighting. That step isn't totally necessary for legality, but it helps prove your case if you ever run into legal situations over copyrighted material if you have registered it with the government.

olevetonahill
1/26/2007, 02:03 AM
the only thing I knew about was the copyrite thing , and didnt have a clue it was that simple :cool:

Frozen Sooner
1/26/2007, 02:31 AM
That's awesome that she's that talented.

However, allowing an 11 year old access to this board seems like a really bad idea to me. In fact, I think it's a violation of the TOS.

apusooner
1/26/2007, 03:21 AM
if you have $$$ you can find musicians good enough to record a demo. if you aren't willing to hand out some bread, there is no reason to pursue this career. it won't happen for free.

OUHOMER
1/26/2007, 05:57 AM
Thanks, GHP, and everybody else, I will pass this along. I agree that she really needs takes piano lessons and voice lessons. At 11 years old, she has plenty of time to learn her trade. Right now she is singing country music. I would think she could find some good teachers in the Moore/Norman area.

Also, I think I will tell here dad, to shell out the bucks, And maybe he should only read this board.

tbl
1/26/2007, 08:20 AM
If you're talking about her developing as an actual artist and not just a singer for hire, I disagree about piano lessons completely. Voice lessons, good idea for the reasons GHP stated.

The reason I disagree about piano lessons is b/c I don't think learning to read sheet music has anything at all to do with writing songs (unless you're writing a symphony). Most of the good songwriters out there (especially in the rock & country world) can't read a bit of sheet music.

If she has a natural knack for hearing melody, all she needs to do is sit in front of a piano and teach herself, or what I really think would be best is to get a guitar and have somebody teach her the basics, then let her develop on her own. That's the way you learn to write songs. Again, look at all the good songwriters in rock & country. Ultimately, she should learn an instrument, regardless of anything else. I didn't learn to play any instruments till I was 17, and I was self taught on all of them. At 11, she could be amazing (though with a great voice you just need to be able to play basic chords).

The thing about the country & pop world is that most of the famous singers don't write a lick of their own songs. For example, George Strait has never written a song. He's always been a singer for hire. If she has a good voice and just wants to sing, there's always opportunity.

Heck, in 5 years she could try out for Idol.

OUHOMER
1/26/2007, 05:33 PM
I will pass this along as well, Maybe on day i can say remember me asking advice. well here is the star i was telling you about

BoogercountySooner
1/26/2007, 05:47 PM
My son owns a recording studio in Memphis if she needs someone to set up some musicians and cut some tracks he can sure help her. Just PM me if interested.