PDA

View Full Version : DVD Transfer Question

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2007, 03:49 PM
I made a slideshow of pictures for my Dad's funeral. I saved it on DVD so his siblings could watch it. Unfortunately, it plays on my Mom's and my work's DVD players and on computers, but not on anyone else's DVD player.

I saved it through a DVD creator program on a DVD-RW. I was going to transfer it onto a VHS, but it is saying my DVD is protected from copying.

Any suggestions? I would pay to have it done, but I would rather not.

yermom
1/25/2007, 03:50 PM
do you not have the master file?

i wonder if the players don't like the DVD-RW?

Newbomb Turk
1/25/2007, 03:51 PM
i wonder if the players don't like the DVD-RW?

yep - I've found most DVD players like a DVD-R.

Petro-Sooner
1/25/2007, 03:51 PM
Beta.

sooneron
1/25/2007, 04:10 PM
U-matic

sooneron
1/25/2007, 04:11 PM
Get a dvd ripping software off the net for free and re-burn the dvd on someone else's computer.
I use hand brake for Mac OSX

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2007, 04:24 PM
Can I hook up a VCR to my computer and do it that way?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2007, 04:25 PM
How do I get the DVD-RW to be copyable?

Widescreen
1/25/2007, 05:51 PM
I'm actually not sure why the DVD you made would be copy protected anyway. Do you know anyone with a DVD-R burner? If so they should just be able to copy the files from your DVD-RW to the hard drive and then reburn it to a DVD-R. Your chances of it working are much higher. If you don't know anyone, PEEM me and I'll do it for you (for free even).

Sooner_Bob
1/25/2007, 06:25 PM
Search for and download DVD Decrypter . . . it shouldn't have any problems ripping the file to an .iso image and then you can reburn it.

BajaOklahoma
1/25/2007, 09:01 PM
The media program I use requires you to finish off the DVD for compatible softeware (at the end of the copy session) if you want it to work on other electronic units. It actually stores a very small program on the disc.
When I forget to hit that button, the disk only plays on our computers.

oumartin
1/25/2007, 09:08 PM
Its all a scam! Recordable cd's and DVDs wear out, most are compatible with a certain number of dvd players and not others. In two years anything you have put on DVD will not play on any player you will currently buy and you will have to redo it all anyhow. Just make sure to never throw away the master copy of anything precious you may have.

Sooner_Bob
1/25/2007, 10:21 PM
Its all a scam! Recordable cd's and DVDs wear out, most are compatible with a certain number of dvd players and not others. In two years anything you have put on DVD will not play on any player you will currently buy and you will have to redo it all anyhow. Just make sure to never throw away the master copy of anything precious you may have.

Say what?

oumartin
1/25/2007, 10:35 PM
nevermind. i just venting on my dislike for dvd recordable devices

Widescreen
1/25/2007, 10:41 PM
If you're going to vent, at least be accurate.

oumartin
1/25/2007, 10:43 PM
you tell me what media you bought 3 years ago is still good today as far as dvd recordable media and devices?

Sooner_Bob
1/25/2007, 11:08 PM
The media I have had for at least 3 years still reads just fine in my DVD burner in my PC. The standalone DVD recorders are pretty crappy and I know for a fact that the issues you're bringing up regarding those machines is accurate.

My youngest brother ran into the exact same issue regarding "older" dvds not wanting to record anymore. Not sure about playback though.

Media hasn't changed so much that the drives in your PC won't read/record on it. Yet.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2007, 11:18 PM
I was told that because it is DVD+RW that is why it won't work. Will it make a difference if I buy DVD-RW?

Widescreen, I may take you up on that.

This is really ****ing me off. It's a 3 minute video fercryinoutloud.

Sooner_Bob
1/25/2007, 11:26 PM
I was told that because it is DVD+RW that is why it won't work. Will it make a difference if I buy DVD-RW?

Widescreen, I may take you up on that.

This is really ****ing me off. It's a 3 minute video fercryinoutloud.

Some DVD players will not read a DVD+RW . . . has something to do with how the files are burned onto the media.

Can you read it in your player that's on your PC?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2007, 11:45 PM
Yes.

Sooner_Bob
1/25/2007, 11:46 PM
Then DVD Decrypter should allow you to "rip" it to your hard drive . . . just so you'll have a copy there as well.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2007, 11:48 PM
Well the original is on the harddrive

Widescreen
1/26/2007, 10:39 AM
RW's are notorious for being incompatible with DVD players. Anything you plan to use on a standard player should always be on a DVD-R (or as a 2nd choice DVD+R).