PDA

View Full Version : Veep Blows Top?

Rogue
1/25/2007, 06:18 AM
I think the title of this article is misleading. Normally I'm not a big Dick Cheney fan, but in this case I admire his responses and agree with him.
So, for what I think is the first time in my posting career I'm gonna say it...
"Dick Cheney is right on this issue." Oh yeah, and, "you go girl." ;)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/story/491626p-414134c.html

Veep blows top

Rips Blitzer on CNN for asking about lesbian daughter's baby

BY KENNETH R. BAZINET
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - Vice President Cheney blew up yesterday when asked in a TV interview what he thinks of conservatives who are critical of his lesbian daughter Mary having a baby.
In a wide-ranging interview, where he was unusually testy in several instances, Cheney got steamed when CNN's Wolf Blitzer read him a comment from Focus on the Family, a social-conservative group that believes it's not best for a child to be raised by single-sex parents, like Mary Cheney and her partner of 15 years, Heather Poe.

"I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question," Cheney fumed.

Before Blitzer could explain his question, Cheney interrupted the anchor of the "Situation Room" and again snapped, "I think you're out of line with that question."

Blitzer then spoke kindly of Mary Cheney and insisted his question wasn't personal, just business. "Believe me, I'm very, very sympathetic to Liz and to Mary. I like them both. That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question," Blitzer said.

Cheney simply glared and replied, "I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective."

The veep has been getting it from all sides this week: His former aide Lewis (Scooter) Libby is implicating him in the Valerie Plame CIA leak trial, and Sen. John McCain accused him of being one of Bush's worst advisers on the Iraq war, along with former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney's longtime mentor.

Cheney fired back at McCain. "I just fundamentally disagree. You heard my speech when Don retired. I think he's done a superb job," the veep said.

He made a spirited defense of President Bush's controversial policy and bristled when Blitzer suggested that Republican members of Congress believe Cheney has a credibility problem because of his hard-line views on Iraq.

"I simply don't accept the premise of your question," he shot back. "I just think it's hogwash."

The Cheneys have a penchant for locking horns with Blitzer. In October, the vice president's wife, Lynne, slammed a CNN series, "Broken Government." She complained on-air to Blitzer, calling the series "terrible distortions of the President's and vice president's positions on many issues."

The veep, meanwhile, predicted Sen. Hillary Clinton won't become President "because she's a Democrat."

White House press secretary Tony Snow later told Fox News that Blitzer was out of line, complaining about "a double standard ... I think that family members ought to be off-limits."

Originally published on January 25, 2007