PDA

View Full Version : Things are Worse in South Bend....

Blues1
1/24/2007, 11:34 PM
Just Thinking.....
Not Jumping for Joy --- BUT

The One thing we can say is - We played "IN THE ONLY" Close Game of The BCS Bowls.....

1/8: Championship — No. 2 Florida 41, No. 1 Ohio State 14
1/3: Sugar — No. 4 LSU 41, No. 11 Notre Dame 14
1/2: Orange — No. 5 Louisville 24, No. 15 Wake Forest 13 - (Almost)
1/1: Fiesta — No. 9 Boise State 43, No. 7 Oklahoma 42, OT
1/1: Rose — No. 8 USC 32, No. 3 Michigan 18

Michigan
Norte Dame
Ohio State
Not Only Lost - But Lost BIG Time....!!!
At least We kept the College Football Nation entertained....... :)

What would they do without US ....:)

R'

snp
1/24/2007, 11:44 PM
Losing to Boise is not the same as losing to USC, Florida, or LSU. Not even close.

Blues1
1/24/2007, 11:47 PM
They were Ranked number 9 -- We didn't invent the rankings -- Not proud - But just saying - Who knows who else BS would have beat...??

sooneron
1/24/2007, 11:50 PM
They were Ranked number 9 -- We didn't invent the rankings -- Not proud - But just saying - Who knows who else BS would have beat...??
None of the teams that won their bcs games.

Blues1
1/24/2007, 11:54 PM
None of the teams that won their bcs games.

We will never know.....?? --Louisville .. ?? -- Maybe
And Remember UCLA took down USC Last game of the season....

I just know I'm still Proud of Our Season...!!

Still R'

sooneron
1/25/2007, 09:04 AM
SUC was too busy listening to all the pundits pimp them into the title game. (sounds familiar) They came in flat against a rival. MAYBE they beat Louisville. What would that really prove? They beat the big 12 champ, BARELY, when the big 12 was down (this was Stoops' 4th best team since he's been here, which says something about bsu's opponent), maybe they do beat the big lEAST champ. The big lEAST which is a tad stronger than any other mid major. They just hit the lottery by continuing to be included in the bcs.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/25/2007, 09:43 AM
Losing to Boise is not the same as losing to USC, Florida, or LSU. Not even close.

Still, I'm yet to hear a single sports commentator say that losing to BSU was an embarrassing loss. Only that it was a legendary game and a great win for BSU. Any shame in this instance is self-inflicted. I'm like most of us and I think we should have won the game by at least a couple TDs but I respect BSU and I'm pretty much over it.

As for NDs problems. They haven't won a bowl game in over a decade and many of those bowl games haven't even been close. I don't know the scores but I wouldn't be suprised if their average margin of loss is 17 points or more. I know that some of their homers like Tom Lemmings are trying to sell us that they have an unbelievable recruiting class coming in but I bet it is more like some of the other recent ones hyped similarly that turn out to be good but not great. They just lost their QB, all-time leading rusher and top WR and their defense sucks. I don't think they will be terrible overall but the BCS rules almost guarantee that they go to a bowl where they are overmatched and get spanked.

trey
1/25/2007, 09:45 AM
:rolleyes: yippee, we kept it close! i feel a lot better about the game now.

cjames317
1/25/2007, 01:51 PM
"If you ain't first, you're last."

Seamus
1/25/2007, 02:44 PM
SUC was too busy listening to all the pundits pimp them into the title game. (sounds familiar) They came in flat against a rival. MAYBE they beat Louisville. What would that really prove? They beat the big 12 champ, BARELY, when the big 12 was down (this was Stoops' 4th best team since he's been here, which says something about bsu's opponent), maybe they do beat the big lEAST champ. The big lEAST which is a tad stronger than any other mid major. They just hit the lottery by continuing to be included in the bcs.

I'd say fifth-best -- 2000, 2003, 2004 and 2002 were all better, more rounded teams. And 2001 had just a sick defense, but the O struggled.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/25/2007, 02:53 PM
"If you ain't first, you're last."

It's a nice cliche but I'd still rather have been in Ohio States' shoes this year than be in Buffalo's or Florida Atlantic.

OK2LA
1/25/2007, 02:58 PM
:rolleyes: yippee, we kept it close! i feel a lot better about the game
now.

EXACTLY! Are we marking down moral victories now?!? Holy chit! How far we've fallen! Come on.

Oh, by the way - I went to all 3 of OU's losses this year. The only games I went to. I guess I'm now the jinx.

Crucifax Autumn
1/26/2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah...Stay home next year please!

Blues1
1/26/2007, 02:04 AM
If you some of you guys wanna "Feel Bad" why don't get out your video of the usc vs OU orange bowl ---

Unless you were around from 1953 to our Loss to ND in 1957 and followed those teams - you have No idea How it feels to see a 47 game Win streak go down the Drain....

I said I'm Proud of our 2006 Sooners - Nothing about Moral Victories - We lost a bowl game - Give credit to the team that won....Hiding your head in the Sand won't change College Football History - I stick to my Statement "Things are worse In South Bend.

With everything we faced and went through The 2006 Sooners gave us one hellva of a Season

How far have some spoiled fans Fallen...??

I'm still Rockin'

MiccoMacey
1/26/2007, 09:52 AM
It's not a moral victory to say we lost the game but are proud of our season. Plus, that was a great game. I was proud of our guys for the way they rallied from 18 points down to take the lead. Twice. It just didn't end the way we wanted it to. Doesn't always work out the way you want it to in life. But I'm not ashamed of losing that football game. Label me what you want.

We had the best year of any Big Twelve team. Best overall record, best bowl, best team. That's not really questionable.

And we lost to a team that every college football analyst had as their top five (collectively). So only fans of four teams can really laugh at our loss (plus Boise State).

FaninAma
1/26/2007, 12:40 PM
The Fiesta Bowl could have been a lot worse. OU could have continued to lay down and gotten beat by 3 TDs. Then we all would have serious doubts about the direction this program was heading.

But they sucked it up and finished strong. Sure it sucked to lose but it could have been a loss on par with the USC debacle.

85sooners
1/26/2007, 01:33 PM
:pop:

OK2LA
1/26/2007, 02:15 PM
If you some of you guys wanna "Feel Bad" why don't get out your video of the usc vs OU orange bowl ---

Unless you were around from 1953 to our Loss to ND in 1957 and followed those teams - you have No idea How it feels to see a 47 game Win streak go down the Drain....

I said I'm Proud of our 2006 Sooners - Nothing about Moral Victories - We lost a bowl game - Give credit to the team that won....Hiding your head in the Sand won't change College Football History - I stick to my Statement "Things are worse In South Bend.

With everything we faced and went through The 2006 Sooners gave us one hellva of a Season

How far have some spoiled fans Fallen...??

I'm still Rockin'

I'd watch a 47 game win streak come to an end 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday before I'd watch that Orange Bowl.

When that win streak came to an end, it wasn't in the National Championship Game & the last game of the year.

You had to know that the win streak wasn't going to last forever - if you did, count yourself as a "head in the sand" kinda guy and a myopic fan. I mean geez! How many undefeated seasons did you get to watch? Talk about spoiled fans - :rolleyes:

Obviously our pain is felt in different ways. Those of you that were lucky enough to witness that 47 game winning streak have some different feelings for ND than I do - as a 36 year old man. I don't care for ND for several reasons, but for ending our 47 game win streak - not as much as the love affair from the media, & preferential treatment and exclusiveness self absorbtion.

I'm not a spoiled fan, nor am I hiding my head in the sand. I've given credit where credit is due - it was an exciting 4th quarter comeback by our guys, and I'm (as I always have been & always will be - PROUD TO BE A SOONER!) - I'm proud of our team, and what they did.

It's not a moral victory to say we lost the game but are proud of our season.

You are correct, but that's not what I'm saying. The original statement was this:

The One thing we can say is - We played "IN THE ONLY" Close Game of The BCS Bowls.....

MORAL VICTORY. PERIOD. (aggy)

When you say things are worse in South Bend, it sounds to me like you're saying:

"Well, we lost, but at least we didn't get blown out by LSU, or get beaten as badly as ND did." (aggy) I think that you might have an extreme hatred for everything that is ND. (replace OU for ND, and it is aggy) Kind of like telling someone to give credit where credit is due. You're relishing in ND's failures (which is ok, but sounds aggy :D)

I don't compare our program to ND's. I feel that they are a program of the past, and struggling to get back to a shadow of what they were. I'm more concerned with our relevance in the big picture and competing with programs the likes of tejas, usc, ohio state, and the like.

This struck me as aggy. That's it. As Blues has stated - he doesn't feel that way, and we'll have to just disagree on that point - which is cool with me - no offense taken or meant.

Blues1
1/26/2007, 02:52 PM
When I say "things are worse in South Bend" - I'm talking about the ND fans and most Likely the way they feel....How many bowl games have they lost in row 8 - 9...?? - Way too many...!!! (whatever it is)

For the OU ND game in 57 -It's Not only just we lost our Win Streak - We also lost to a ND team that wasn't even in top 15 - and then failed to score after 123 straight games - another record at that time - And I did lived in Chicago at the time (ND's other home town) You wanna talk about never hearing the end of it - I Lived it --- So when I see folks so-called hurting over losing to a undefeated Boise State ranked number 7 - by 1 point in a high scoring exciting game - It cross's my mind some of you ain't felt the PAIN we sufferd a long time ago...

Anytime we score 42 points to a ranked top ten ranked team I don't Like it - But I can handle it -- But trying Losing 7 to 0 to a team NOT ranked and not scoring a single point and then Live around 3 million fans who remind you of it for 20 years....

Now that's what I call feeling "The Hurt"

But you gotta "Keep on Rockin" ---- :)

OK2LA
1/26/2007, 06:27 PM
Forgot to mention -

I live in Los Angeles.

(fwiw - I don't look at the fiesta bowl as a HORRIBLE loss)

Again, I can feel your pain in regards to where you lived at the time, and how it happened.

It is VERY similar to my situation right now.

Remember - usc got "robbed" out of playing us in the sugar bowl the year before, so I'm hearing it for not just the big xii ksu debacle, & us losing to lsu ("we woulda killed them AND YOU" - :rolleyes: ) But also the entire next year (2004) when we both went undefeated up to that point and into the Orange Bowl - I flew out of L.A. with an entire plane full of sc fans, and obviously all the way back after the game. The Prelude up to that game lasted for over a year. I lived in it - people tore my flag down off of my house - I heard it everytime I wore any OU stuff out to the bars/restaurants/shopping malls - etc. I live in the "south bay" which is basically where all of the sc grads/(students that don't live on campus) live. AND I still live here, so I know PAIN. Still got a little bit of that pain that I'll carry around with me until the day that I die.

Again. For me - I'd watch that 47 game winning streak come to an end to an unranked BOISE STATE team ANY DAY - over what I've had to endure the last 4 years - and years to come - until we defeat them the same way (humiliating fashion in the national championship game) which will likely never be in my life time.

I think you might have gotten off easy.:D

Blues1
1/27/2007, 12:45 PM
My fellow Sooner ---- I know you got off easy.

Breaking the 47 Win Streak was The Biggest Thing since Sliced Bread....

Unless you Lived during that time you have 'No Idea' How Big that Loss went Down in College Football ....

Here's one Small Example -

Back in those days Newspapers came out twice a Day ----Morning and Afternoon editions -
The Afternoon "Chicago Tribune" had Huge Front Page Headlines of the *Half Time Score* - Oklahoma 0 - Norte Dame 0 --With a blow by blow report of the game up to that point....

I appreciate your situation - But you younger guys have *No Idea* how Big that Loss was.....Tell me when was the last time you saw a Major Big City Newspaper Run Huge (World War type Printing) of Front page HeadLines of a a College Football Half Time Score.....??

I will answer that for you - Never ....!

That's a Small Example on what went down in November 1957....

You only Think you know ....

Keep Rockin' -

goingoneight
1/27/2007, 09:08 PM
It's a nice cliche but I'd still rather have been in Ohio States' shoes this year than be in Buffalo's or Florida Atlantic.

We've been in FAU's situation before...
Worst.
Season.
EVAR!!! :mad:

Dizzle Shizzle
1/28/2007, 12:35 AM
Forgot to mention -

I live in Los Angeles.

(fwiw - I don't look at the fiesta bowl as a HORRIBLE loss)

Again, I can feel your pain in regards to where you lived at the time, and how it happened.

It is VERY similar to my situation right now.

Remember - usc got "robbed" out of playing us in the sugar bowl the year before, so I'm hearing it for not just the big xii ksu debacle, & us losing to lsu ("we woulda killed them AND YOU" - :rolleyes: ) But also the entire next year (2004) when we both went undefeated up to that point and into the Orange Bowl - I flew out of L.A. with an entire plane full of sc fans, and obviously all the way back after the game. The Prelude up to that game lasted for over a year. I lived in it - people tore my flag down off of my house - I heard it everytime I wore any OU stuff out to the bars/restaurants/shopping malls - etc. I live in the "south bay" which is basically where all of the sc grads/(students that don't live on campus) live. AND I still live here, so I know PAIN. Still got a little bit of that pain that I'll carry around with me until the day that I die.

Again. For me - I'd watch that 47 game winning streak come to an end to an unranked BOISE STATE team ANY DAY - over what I've had to endure the last 4 years - and years to come - until we defeat them the same way (humiliating fashion in the national championship game) which will likely never be in my life time.

I think you might have gotten off easy.:D

Maybe you should not take it so personally. Maybe you should realize it is just a game played by boys barely able to vote much less buy beer legally.

birddog
1/28/2007, 02:04 AM
Maybe you should not take it so personally. Maybe you should realize it is just a game played by boys barely able to vote much less buy beer legally.

yeah, you're right, how dare he have a sense of pride for his team on a sooner football message board....for sooner fans. :rolleyes: