PDA

View Full Version : The Fixed Hunting and/or fishing thread

royalfan5
1/24/2007, 09:01 PM
I am just curious to see what percentage of the men on the board have no interest in hunting or fishing. I've hunted and I've fished, I don't get any enjoyment out of either. I'd much rather spend time in the fall building fence and working cattle. In the summer there are a lot of things I would rather do than fish. I think this is an inherited trait as my dad didn't hunt or fish, and neither did either of my Grandfathers. Apparently my Dad felt birds were too pretty to shoot, and he would rather do fieldwork than fish. None of the other men in my family hunt or fish either.

Mongo
1/24/2007, 09:03 PM
Now this is a poll!:D

WILBURJIM
1/24/2007, 09:22 PM
When I say I fish, I don't mean I catch anything, other than the requisite beer buzz.:D

proud gonzo
1/24/2007, 09:51 PM
when I say "I fish" it means that I enjoy fishing, not that I fish regularly. I haven't been fishing since my grandparents sold their house on a lake in Virginia. :(

GottaHavePride
1/24/2007, 10:02 PM
I've never really been hunting. When I was a kid my allergies were such that spending copious amounts of time outdoors was not the wisest course of action. ;) I have been fishing, but it's not really my thing. If I want to hang around a lake and goof off I'd rather not be messing with a fishing pole the whole time. :D

proud gonzo
1/24/2007, 10:14 PM
it's all about the boat. the fishing is secondary. the main goal of fishing is to go really fast in a boat. preferrably when the lake's choppy.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 10:17 PM
Treasure chest(of beer all iced down and beautiful) and it doesn't get any better than this is something too behold!

Mongo
1/24/2007, 10:28 PM
I'll hunt birds and big game, but for some reason, i wont hunt predatory animals. Except sexual predators, I would love to shoot me a couple of them.

Bears, bobcats , basically anything that kills another animals, I wont kill.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 10:35 PM
I hate too admit that I will kill anything however I do get some kind of premative prenatul right of feeling righteousness too doo so....

cheers too the "treasure of beer" not the inability to imagine!

TopDaugIn2000
1/24/2007, 10:42 PM
I grew up fishing off my dad's dock on Lake Eufaula, and setting out trotlines/jug fishing with my step dad as well. Haven't been in TOO LONG, but I used to really enjoy it.

olevetonahill
1/24/2007, 11:14 PM
I fish on ocasion , quit Hunting years ago ,
I just bait the critters in so I can watch em :)

OCUDad
1/25/2007, 12:25 AM
when I say "I fish" it means that I enjoy fishing...He said he wanted to hear from "men," not "women who can't read."

proud gonzo
1/25/2007, 12:57 AM
hey, go yell at Tailwind, TD2K, and 1TC

OCUDad
1/25/2007, 01:21 AM
I'm in trouble, aren't I?

proud gonzo
1/25/2007, 01:29 AM
only a little ;)

Tailwind
1/25/2007, 03:22 AM
Heh.

LoyalFan
1/25/2007, 07:17 AM
I both hunt and fish, and have done so for most of my life. In fact, I'll be zipping out door in thirty minutes to meet one of my favorite bassing partners (A TexAg, but an OK guy, fer sher!). We'll be launching a bass boat on Canyon Lake, AKA "The Jewel Of The Texiz Hill Country" at about 0900 for a day of annoying, then releasing, both largemouth and smallmouth bass, as well as the occasional striper that blunders by. Good times!
I bassfish two-point-five times per week, on the average...love it, come rain, sleet, fire and brimstone, etc.
At sundown I'll drive the boat onto the trailer and we'll repair to a BBQ place for hot chow.
NOTE: NO alcohol permitted in the boat, nor when firearms are the tools of the day...period. PFDs are worn at all times in the boat and I have the kill switch attached to self before I even start the Mercury outboard...period.

Tight lines!

LoyalTheFishin'FoolFan

jk the sooner fan
1/25/2007, 07:51 AM
i chose "i dont" on both.....but the fishing option .....well, i wont go fishing by myself but have been invited many times and always enjoy it

never been hunting

TopDaugIn2000
1/25/2007, 08:05 AM
I'm in trouble, aren't I?

YES:mad: :mad: :mad:

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 09:03 AM
I enjoy deer and elk hunting. A lot. Killing? Not as much.

I always have to make a conscious/rational decision before I pull the trigger. Do I need the meat? Does anybody else want the meat? Do I have time to gut it, skin it, and get it to the butcher before too late? Is there a chance that a larger animal is close by? And of course being an ethical hunter, I always have a tinge of sadness when you see a beautiful, magnificent, stunning animal one second - and a stone-cold-dead carcass with eyes glassed over and it's tongue hanging out the next. This is why I hate "canned" hunts and hunters who "bag" animals on game ranches and farms. They're not hunters, they're killers.

I enjoy turkey hunting immensely. Killing? Very much so.

Turkeys are birds. For whatever reason, birds just don't have the "soul" that a deer or elk does. And it's very rewarding to call a big tom in close and drop him like he got hit with a sledgehammer. Plus, everybody agrees that turkey tastes good.

Dove, quail, duck I enjoy hunting. Killing? Yup.

They're birds, and they taste good.

Varmints (coyotes, coons, possums, skunks, armadillos, gophers)? ****in' A! I just don't feel any remorse at all when I vaporize these little demons. They're destructive, evil little spawn of Satan's loins who deserve killing.

Squirrell? Yes. I used to only shoot them for food. Now I shoot them because the little bastards rob my pecan crop blind. I probably killed 30 squirrell this winter and have only eaten a couple. Coyotes and buzzards gotta eat too.

Fishin'? I like it, but don't do it much anymore. Ain't got time for it. My kids love it though. My oldest and youngest would rather fish than ****. That's all they do, year around. Mostly on the farm ponds and creek out back. They've caught 8+ pounders out of the pond, and 4+ pounders out of the creek.

OK, enough for the dissertation.

jk the sooner fan
1/25/2007, 09:09 AM
i'd go hunting if i had an invite/chance.......i've just never had it, and really dont know the first thing about it to do it on my own

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 09:36 AM
i'd go hunting if i had an invite/chance.......i've just never had it, and really dont know the first thing about it to do it on my own

OK, you come up to the Deanarosa, you strip down nekkid, and put this cute little crown made of horns on your head and go hide in the woods. In a little bit, you'll figure out what you should do.:texan:

crawfish
1/25/2007, 10:22 AM
I'll fish or hunt if the occasion calls for it, but I don't particularly feel a compulsion to do either.

I'm not sure how to answer the poll. :)

OUDoc
1/25/2007, 10:45 AM
I don't hunt and haven't fished in years. I'm not against either of them, just never do it. No one in my family has ever been a big hunter.
Wait, does hunting people count?

OUTromBoNado
1/26/2007, 01:44 AM
I love fishing for the rainbow trout below Lake Tenkiller. I also like fishing for the smallmouth bass in the upper portion of the Illinois.

Spoonbill snaggin' is da bomb too. Pulled a 95 pounder out of Ft. Gibson a few years ago. Spoonbill is some good eatin'.

Pfunk
1/26/2007, 12:09 PM
I also like fishing for the smallmouth bass in the upper portion of the Illinois.
I concur, i also own some land on the baron fork and the brownies are a plenty and the water is clear!

Petro-Sooner
1/26/2007, 01:49 PM
I fish for marlin.

Big fighting marlin

OUTromBoNado
1/26/2007, 02:41 PM
I concur, i also own some land on the baron fork and the brownies are a plenty and the water is clear!

Hmm...I may have to hit you up on this. I've been wanting to do some fishing there for quite some time. Only time I was ever on the Baron Fork was at the old boy scout camp, but the river was way up and flooding at the time.

I know you can float it pretty easily, but I've heard there are some weird rules and stuff about wading it or stopping to fish because the creek is included on some folks' property. Although, I would think as a state-designated Scenic River the actual channel would be state/public property.

IB4OU2
1/26/2007, 03:14 PM
I enjoy deer and elk hunting. A lot. Killing? Not as much.

I always have to make a conscious/rational decision before I pull the trigger. Do I need the meat? Does anybody else want the meat? Do I have time to gut it, skin it, and get it to the butcher before too late? Is there a chance that a larger animal is close by? And of course being an ethical hunter, I always have a tinge of sadness when you see a beautiful, magnificent, stunning animal one second - and a stone-cold-dead carcass with eyes glassed over and it's tongue hanging out the next. This is why I hate "canned" hunts and hunters who "bag" animals on game ranches and farms. They're not hunters, they're killers.

I enjoy turkey hunting immensely. Killing? Very much so.

Turkeys are birds. For whatever reason, birds just don't have the "soul" that a deer or elk does. And it's very rewarding to call a big tom in close and drop him like he got hit with a sledgehammer. Plus, everybody agrees that turkey tastes good.

Dove, quail, duck I enjoy hunting. Killing? Yup.

They're birds, and they taste good.

Varmints (coyotes, coons, possums, skunks, armadillos, gophers)? ****in' A! I just don't feel any remorse at all when I vaporize these little demons. They're destructive, evil little spawn of Satan's loins who deserve killing.

Squirrell? Yes. I used to only shoot them for food. Now I shoot them because the little bastards rob my pecan crop blind. I probably killed 30 squirrell this winter and have only eaten a couple. Coyotes and buzzards gotta eat too.

Fishin'? I like it, but don't do it much anymore. Ain't got time for it. My kids love it though. My oldest and youngest would rather fish than ****. That's all they do, year around. Mostly on the farm ponds and creek out back. They've caught 8+ pounders out of the pond, and 4+ pounders out of the creek.

OK, enough for the dissertation.

What Dean said..(man we could be brothers)..I've hunted all my life. I have'nt missed a deer/turkey season since 1980, plus I really enjoy bassfishing I used to own a bassboat but sold it prior to moving over to the muddy water side of Oklahoma. :D

Pfunk
1/26/2007, 03:20 PM
Ive never really had any problems with owners of the property. Depending on the meandering of the river our land extends into or to the other side of the water at times. Ive only floated it a few times, but it was awesome. You have to catch the water when it is at the right level and you have to realize there is a decent getting out to drag. I generally wade within 2-3 miles of our land.

colleyvillesooner
1/26/2007, 05:08 PM
Never hunted, but like to fish. Don't really like to eat the fish, just throw em back.

BoogercountySooner
1/26/2007, 06:27 PM
I'm an avid outdoorsman. I own a home that is minutes from 2 of the best fishing streams in Arkansas. The Kings river and the War Eable river. I am 30 minutes from the White river which has awesome trout fishing. I take a week off every year to catch the White bas or sand bass as they are called running up river from Beaver lake. Beaver lake is 15 minutes down the road and Table Rock is 30 minutes.

I love to hunt deer, Hogs, Turkey and coyotes. I hunt squirrell from time to time also. I hunt with a bow, Muzzle loader and rifle. I take most of my deer with a bow. I am on 2 leases and have permission to hunt several other very good trcts of land. I have 16,000 acres of public hunting a mere 1 mile from my home. I also own 37 acres which I can hunt on. I eat everything I take except coyotes.

Rogue
1/27/2007, 09:39 AM
First of all, I almost completely agree with Dean. I'm not a big fan of varmint hunting though. I love the hunt, the camraderie with hunters, the scenery, and all. Killing a beautiful elk is a mixed-experience. And the "canned" hunts...count me out too. How's that different than shooting cattle?

I think this is an inherited trait as my dad didn't hunt or fish, and neither did either of my Grandfathers. Apparently my Dad felt birds were too pretty to shoot, and he would rather do fieldwork than fish. None of the other men in my family hunt or fish either.

I think you are on to something here. One of my buddies has this theory about there being 2 kinds of men...hunters and farmers basically. Sounds like you are the latter. :texan:

I had no idea that there was anyone who didn't like to fish. Hell even vegetarians fish. I think.