PDA

View Full Version : You'de think BOO BLAKE was at Tennessee!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/24/2007, 05:30 PM
My gawd, what a recruiting class they are assembling, and they have been hard on OU. Jesse Mahelona, Robt. Meacham, and now Gerald Jones this year, and they are getting top recruits from all over. Somebody needs to look at their "incentive program".

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:34 PM
Fulmer probably got some kinda of immunity deal out of narcing on Bammer

CatfishSooner
1/24/2007, 05:43 PM
RUSH...you da mon.

1/24/2007, 07:43 PM
RUSH...you da mon.Wakey yousself up; you owe me 1/3 of a brautwurst, fella.

1/25/2007, 12:39 AM
Seriously, Tennessee??? I don't get it. phil Fulmer doesn't impress, as far as I can tell. And with the super recruiting they always seem to have, they choke a lot. Florida, Auburn, LSU Tigerbait, are all better. I can understand in-state recruits, but not guys from those states that have their own excellent football schools. Does anyone know ?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/25/2007, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't say it about most of Eastern Tenn but Knoxville is a nice place. I'm no fan of Tenn but I can think of a lot of worse places to go. As for Fullmer, he must have pictures of a lot of people because no coach I can think of has even done less with more talent year after year.

1/25/2007, 10:11 AM
Maybe it's a secret killer party school, with the most fabulous babes imaginable?

starrca23
1/25/2007, 11:35 AM
They do send their share of guys to the league, but now that we have started doing the same thing, I don't get it either.

Scott D
1/25/2007, 05:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1595000/images/_1599354_cash_bbc300.jpg

1/25/2007, 06:35 PM
My suspicions, too. But, somebody needs to catch them.

Scott D
1/25/2007, 08:44 PM
It'll catch up to Fulmer eventually.

LSUdeek
1/25/2007, 11:29 PM
Rolando Melancon out of LA was a 4 star recruit that was not offered by LSU because we are loaded at D-tackle and had more talented kids coming in.

1/25/2007, 11:34 PM
Rolando Melancon out of LA was a 4 star recruit that was not offered by LSU because we are loaded at D-tackle and had more talented kids coming in.So, that explains Melancon, but what about the rest of the star-studded recruits that TN is getting? Is there illegal inducement? What's the wisdom from down there below sea level?

LSUdeek
1/25/2007, 11:36 PM
So, that explains Melancon, but what about the rest of the star-studded recruits that TN is getting? Is there illegal inducement? What's the wisdom from down there below sea level?

Baton Rouge is comfortably above sea level, my friend. I think you are confusing LSU's city with a certain city 80 miles to the east.

He's had a dropoff the past two years and is able to promise playing time. Something that real schools with real coaches can't do.

LSUdeek
1/25/2007, 11:40 PM
On top of that, Tennessee has always recruited nationally. I look at UThug's being able to sign 5 star kids out of Ohio, Georgia, and California as recruiting failures on tOSU, UGA/AU, and USC's part more than successes on Phat Phil's part.

1/26/2007, 12:10 AM
Still, Phat Phil is getting it done$$$.

man00
1/26/2007, 08:14 AM
Tenn puts players in the NFL

1/26/2007, 10:12 AM
Tenn pays players like the NFLfixed

Scott D
1/26/2007, 12:44 PM
fixed

nah, if they did then they'd find a way to make them retain 10 years of eligibility. They pay slightly worse ;)

1/26/2007, 01:19 PM
nah, if they did then they'd find a way to make them retain 10 years of eligibility. They pay slightly worse ;)Yeah, I corrected my "fixed" quote.(typo)

caphorns
1/26/2007, 05:43 PM
Out of TN's 5 5-stars, I really think they have 3 legit ones.

The prep 5-star was a 4-star out of HS last year when he originally committed to TN. He's stuck by that but is looking at WVU.

They also have a 5-star JUCO guy and those guys certainly don't always pan out. Just not the same level of scrutiny either as the HS 5-stars.

So in the end we'll see what Fulmer gets in from this class. Don't be surprised by some grade casualties and other bumps in the road.

I like USC and Florida's classes much better than Tennessee's class. Their class is actually two spots below OU's class this year on average ratings.

1/26/2007, 06:27 PM
[TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES]
Out of TN's 5 5-stars, I really think they have 3 legit ones.

The prep 5-star was a 4-star out of HS last year when he originally committed to TN. He's stuck by that but is looking at WVU.

They also have a 5-star JUCO guy and those guys certainly don't always pan out. Just not the same level of scrutiny either as the HS 5-stars.

So in the end we'll see what Fulmer gets in from this class. Don't be surprised by some grade casualties and other bumps in the road.

I like USC and Florida's classes much better than Tennessee's class. Their class is actually two spots below OU's class this year on average ratings.I casn understand why suc and fla can recruit well, but TN, not so much.

1/26/2007, 06:28 PM

I like USC and Florida's classes much better than Tennessee's class. Their class is actually two spots below OU's class this year on average ratings.I can understand why suc and fla can recruit well, but TN, not so much.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/26/2007, 06:33 PM
Am I the only one who could give a flip about Tennessee's recruiting class?

They can have all the 5 stars they want. They haven't done anything with them developmentally going on 3-4 years now.

1/26/2007, 06:50 PM
Am I the only one who could give a flip about Tennessee's recruiting class?

They can have all the 5 stars they want. They haven't done anything with them developmentally going on 3-4 years now.That's why it's so suspect that they are able to continue recruiting so well.
And, I for one, don't appreciate them being able to lure guys away from OU!

VolinArizona
1/27/2007, 01:27 PM
It's no secret Fulmer is one of the best recruiters in the land, and it's also no secret in Knoxville that he leaves a lot to be desired on Saturdays.

I wonder how much we "spent" on your 23rd ranked class last season.

1/27/2007, 03:56 PM
I wonder how much we "spent" on your 23rd ranked class last season. not sure I understand the question.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/28/2007, 01:50 PM
I think what Vol meant was:

It's no secret Fulmer is one of the best recruiters in the land, and it's also no secret in Knoxville that he leaves a lot to be desired on Saturdays.

I wonder how much we "spent" on our 23rd ranked class last season.

... meaning they didn't have a great recruiting class last year, evidence enough that they probably aren't funneling cash to the recruits....

...or maybe they were and they just weren't the right recruits. ;)

OUmillenium
1/28/2007, 11:00 PM
Baton Rouge is comfortably above sea level, my friend. I think you are confusing LSU's city with a certain city 80 miles to the east.

He's had a dropoff the past two years and is able to promise playing time. Something that real schools with real coaches can't do.

That's what I was thinking. Promises of playing time are in vogue the last 7-8 years.

VolinArizona
2/1/2007, 06:16 PM

Tennessee's history > LSU's history

Bar none.

Rogue
2/4/2007, 08:37 PM
Phil has raided Tulsa for a top kid about once every other year or so.
As for East TN, it's a beautiful area and Knoxville is a decent college city but the traffic is about as bad as Austin or Houston. When I moved here 3 years ago, my new staff had an autographed picture of Phil for my new office. They knew that I was a huge OU fan coming in, so it was kinda cool.

The VOLS have a few things going for them:
Tradition - General Neyland is comparable to Bud Wilkinson. VOL walk, VOL Navy, Smoky, checkerboard endzones, Smoky, one of the most recognizable fight songs in the country...
Neyland Stadium - One of the biggest still, right?
TeeVeee - Many weekends nationally and good regional coverage all year.
It's a ticket to the NFL - In all positions, from QB and RB to linemen & DBs.
Knoxville - "The Hill" is a nice campus, nice facilities, and lots of $$ around.
It's the biggest thing in the state, like Bammer and OU that way.
And the ladies, gorgeous southern women like OU, but more of 'em.
If you can get OK with the idea of wearing orange, I guess it'd be pretty attractive. And visiting during the summer, fall, and spring it is prettier and less extreme hot/cold than many campuses.

2/5/2007, 04:25 PM
The VOLS have a few things going for them:
Tradition - General Neyland is comparable to Bud Wilkinson. VOL walk, VOL Navy, Smoky, checkerboard endzones, Smoky, one of the most recognizable fight songs in the country...

TeeVeee - Many weekends nationally and good regional coverage all year.
It's a ticket to the NFL - In all positions, from QB and RB to linemen & DBs.
Knoxville - "The Hill" is a nice campus, nice facilities, and lots of $$ around.

And the ladies, gorgeous southern women like OU, but more of 'em.
If you can get OK with the idea of wearing orange, I guess it'd be pretty attractive. And visiting during the summer, fall, and spring it is prettier and less extreme hot/cold than many campuses. Well, TN sure doesn't have anywhere near the winning tradition OU has. General Neyland, nor any other Vol coach, has near the success of either Bud or Barry.
The rest of your points are good, but I still can't really grasp why an Okla. kid that OU wants, with a coach as good as Stoops is, would decide to go to TN.(better than domer, whorn or aggy, however)

OSUAggie
2/5/2007, 04:50 PM
Knoxville is a mystical place on a Saturday night. Nothing in the Big XII can compare, regardless of the locale from which the recruit hails.

J-Rod12
2/5/2007, 05:08 PM
I would second that, their stadium and campus in general are very impressive, especially on game day.

2/5/2007, 06:51 PM
Knoxville is a MYSTICAL place on a Saturday night. Compared to Stillwater...ya think? So, it's kinda like Dizzyland, or what?

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2007, 07:56 PM
I can understand why suc and fla can recruit well, but TN, not so much.

We know how SUC does it. Agent enticements. House your parents for free. Free Limo and wardrobes. Free trips to Vegas during the offseason. Stuff like that will entice anyone to show up!

2/8/2007, 01:12 AM
Somebody else just started another "why, how Tennessee" thread. Maybe a merger would be logical?-mods?

Octavian
2/8/2007, 03:16 AM
Tennessee's history > LSU's history

Bar none.

:pop:

VolinArizona
2/10/2007, 10:57 AM
Well, TN sure doesn't have anywhere near the winning tradition OU has. General Neyland, nor any other Vol coach, has near the success of either Bud or Barry.

The gap isn't as wide as you're making it out to be. OU's history is greater than Tennessee's, but not by THAT much.

And I do agree that kids IN Oklahoma should be going to Oklahoma. If I grew up in Tulsa or even Stillwater, and I was actually good at football, OU would be a dream.

2/10/2007, 11:46 AM
The gap isn't as wide as you're making it out to be. OU's history is greater than Tennessee's, but not by THAT much.

And I do agree that kids IN Oklahoma should be going to Oklahoma. If I grew up in Tulsa or even Stillwater, and I was actually good at football, OU would be a dream.Dude, how many real NC's has UT won? How many coaches has UT won that have 3 NC's to their credit? How many 30+ game win streaks(2 for OU), and how close to 47 in a row has UT had?
In the SEC, the only school with comparable tradition is the Bammer.

VolinArizona
2/10/2007, 11:52 AM
Dude, how many real NC's has UT won? How many coaches has UT won that have 3 NC's to their credit? How many 30+ game win streaks(2 for OU), and how close to 47 in a row has UT had?

I said Oklahoma CLEARLY has a better tradition than Tennessee. It's just not as wide as the one poster implied. He made it sound like Tennessee was Virginia Tech.

And how many times has Tennessee been on probation? Just saying ...

VolinArizona
2/10/2007, 11:53 AM
Dude, how many real NC's has UT won? How many coaches has UT won that have 3 NC's to their credit? How many 30+ game win streaks(2 for OU), and how close to 47 in a row has UT had?

Tennessee has 4 real NCs, though the school recognizes 6. I go with the 4 number. Oklahoma has 7. Clearly, OU = better, as I already said.

snp
2/14/2007, 04:03 AM

Nice criteria :rolleyes:

2/14/2007, 10:50 AM
Nice criteria :rolleyes:The only programs on our rarified platform are domer, bammer and suc, IMO.

VolinArizona
2/14/2007, 05:45 PM
The only programs on our rarified platform are domer, bammer and suc, IMO.

Agreed. Those 4 are the clear cut best programs of all time.

Harry Beanbag
2/14/2007, 06:09 PM
Tennessee has 4 real NCs, though the school recognizes 6. I go with the 4 number. Oklahoma has 7. Clearly, OU = better, as I already said.

Tennessee only has 2 if you count them like OU does, but the Vols are still a top ten program.

Fraggle145
2/14/2007, 07:29 PM
Who cares about tennessee?

2/15/2007, 12:55 AM
Who cares about tennessee?To stop this thread, you're not behaving logically.

Fraggle145
2/15/2007, 01:47 AM
To stop this thread, you're not behaving logically.

I was having a george costanza moment, I was trying the opposite movement. Basically, I would rather have the threads about our recruits at the top of the board instead of , not 1, but 2, threads about Tennessee, who haven won an SEC title since Peyton Manning was there.