PDA

View Full Version : people who know stuff about dropping $$$ for shiney rocks

fadada1
1/24/2007, 04:03 PM
any advice on "spending 2 months salary" (what a joke) for her happiness??

this thing is going down soon, and she's been nice enough to pack up and move with me in about 2 months, with the stipulation that we make everything official. fair enough, because she's great and it's not like i/we haven't thought about it.

anyhow, the idea of dropping $5K +/- is a bit overwhelming. i haven't planned on anything giant (nothing over 3/4 carat), but i want a HIGH quality pellet.

the one i put together (for pricing purposes) is this:

This Platinum Knife Edge Setting has a 0.75 carat Round diamond with Ideal-cut, F-color, and VVS2-clarity. she demanded platinum... figures:D

final damage: $4749

thoughts??

btw, she'll probably get the official question this coming week. heading on a windjammer cruise this saturday and will be so romantic:rolleyes:

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 04:09 PM
Expensive wedding/engagement rings are the biggest waste of money there is. Ever. If you really love each other, a modest token of your marriage is sufficient. If you really love each other, you really shouldn't start your marriage broke or in debt because she wants a big rock to show her girlfriends. If you really love each other wait until you're married a decade or two, then go drop a brazillion bucks on a ring when you can afford it, and know she ain't gonna be knobbing the guy down the street next week while you're out giving golf lessons.

And simply statistically speaking, your marriage has a pretty fair chance at failing. Wasting $5K on a ring now is just a very poor decision.

Keepin' it logical.

royalfan5
1/24/2007, 04:10 PM
Do what my roommate did, work out a deal where she buys you something of equal value to the ring. My roommate is getting a custom built rifle of equal value. It's the 21st century afterall. Demand equality.

Mongo
1/24/2007, 04:11 PM
go here,http://www.simayof.com/ you can enter in the type of stone you would like with all the grading criteria. Got my wifes ring there and payed alot less that typical stores.

at least use it as a reference.

hope it helps

Mongo
1/24/2007, 04:12 PM
oh, and if you spend that much on a ring, you need to be shot:D

TexasLidig8r
1/24/2007, 04:14 PM
God.. I love Dean's down home back porch advice! Kinda sux I agree with most of it.. in an urbanite way of course.

As for the engagement/wedding ring.. do THIS instead! :D

http://www.awesomebackgrounds.com/templates/prenuptial-agreement-01.JPG

fadada1
Do what my roommate did, work out a deal where she buys you something of equal value to the ring. My roommate is getting a custom built rifle of equal value. It's the 21st century afterall. Demand equality.
heh. this was in my original plans for when i found the right lady. one fancy ring = a kickass set of irons. now that i get all my golf equipment for free, i have to rethink my prize.:D

good point CCD, if i were 25 and going after the blonde, easy cheerleader... i would think a bit differently. but, i'm 35, and know better than to throw rings around to get a piece of tail. but i totally understand your point.

Beef
That five grand can keep you going on hookers and skanks you pick up at last call for a while. I'd go that route.

Mongo
1/24/2007, 04:15 PM

This is true, I scored a big screen tv

fadada1
1/24/2007, 04:15 PM
go here,http://www.simayof.com/ you can enter in the type of stone you would like with all the grading criteria. Got my wifes ring there and payed alot less that typical stores.

at least use it as a reference.

hope it helps
that number i found was for reference only. i have a connection up in rochester and can probably get that same set up for about 1500 less. i was doing some research and that's what i liked.

SoonerStormchaser
1/24/2007, 04:29 PM
OK...take some unwanted advice from someone who's getting married in 72 hours.

DON'T GO OVER $1K ON THE RING!!! You're a damned fool if you do. My woman got a .65 carat round cut solitaire in a tiffany setting for $932.

Come up with something clever and romantic for the proposal...that's what makes or breaks the entire operation.

Most of all...

Make sure she's hawt!

fadada1
1/24/2007, 04:34 PM
Come up with something clever and romantic for the proposal...that's what makes or breaks the entire operation.

i was thinking of pushing her off the boat off st. lucia, and then point and laugh.

maybe i'll re-think that plan.;)

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 04:37 PM
that number i found was for reference only. i have a connection up in rochester and can probably get that same set up for about 1500 less. i was doing some research and that's what i liked.

pfffft. You're doomed already. It ain't about what you like.

SoonerStormchaser
1/24/2007, 04:38 PM
<FADADA>
Bwa ha ha ha ha!

By the way, will you marry me baby?

/<FADADA>

Fugue
1/24/2007, 04:39 PM
i was thinking of pushing her off the boat off st. lucia, and then point and laugh.

maybe i'll re-think that plan.;)

rethink it indeed, cause you'll need to hold up a sign that says "cubic zirconia =$20" while you show her the $4,980 wad of cash. :texan:

Boomer.....
1/24/2007, 04:41 PM
I found my ladies engagement ring at Trust House Jewelers in OKC which was going out of business and having a (so called) 50% off sell. I found around a .75 carat diamond with next to perfect clarity, color, blah, blah for around $2500. It was a lot of money, but it is worth it in the end.

My friend just got engaged and got his fianc&#233; a tiny diamond. Behind their back, all anyone was talking about is how small it was. Do it right the first time.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 04:42 PM
its times like these that having gdc around would be beneficial

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 04:43 PM
My friend just got engaged and got his fiancé a tiny diamond. Behind their back, all anyone was talking about is how small it was. Do it right the first time.

If you're still worrying about what people are saying about you behind your back then you've got a lot bigger problem than money.

Boomer.....
1/24/2007, 04:45 PM
If you're still worrying about what people are saying about you behind your back then you've got a lot bigger problem than money.

True, but we are talking about females here.

Mjcpr
1/24/2007, 04:46 PM

If they had been putting it in spek comments though, that's when you need to start worrying.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 04:48 PM

Who is driving the standard of 50% net worth on a damn diamond- 7-25K rocks are ridiculous.--- My ex Fiance sent me e-mails with diamonds all of which were in the 9-10K range.. I called her on it and she said she was just playing.... yeah right and she is the least of material woman I meet in the Washington marketplace... I do have to agree that this kind of money goes a long way for hookers, shanks and other manly things that make work worthwhile. 3-5 should be more than sufficient for a month of good deeds!!! on demand

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:00 PM
diamonds are overinflated anyway, it's not like you can sell that thing later

unless you just have money to throw away, aren't you better off just saving that for a down payment on a house or something?

skycat
1/24/2007, 05:05 PM
diamonds are overinflated anyway, it's not like you can sell that thing later

unless you just have money to throw away, aren't you better off just saving that for a down payment on a house or something?

Does your girlfriend still post on here?

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:08 PM
i'm not necessarily saying that a ring is a dumb thing to buy, just the whole 5 large on a rock thing

and yeah, she's still around on occasion :D

skycat
1/24/2007, 05:09 PM
;)

NormanPride
1/24/2007, 05:09 PM
Man, I got platinum and a .79 with a special cut for 1.6k. And that was splurging. 5k better get you one ****ing huge rock.

skycat
1/24/2007, 05:18 PM
When I went shopping for a ring I didn't have any idea how much I'd end up spending, I had a ceiling that I didn't want to go over, but I had no idea what any given amount of money would buy.

So I looked at stuff, and the setting/stone combination that I thought she'd really like turned out to be less than my ceiling but more than most stuff I've purchased.

Here's the thing, it doesn't make any sense to me to hurt yourself financially, but if you're the type that sometimes blows money on "luxury" stuff anyway, (and looking at the number of threads dedicated to big-screen tv's, golf clubs, top of the line computers, etc, many of us on here are), you might as well divert some of that cash to get something that she'll always be proud to have on her finger. After all, with luck, she'll be wearing that thing a lot longer than you'll be watching a new plasma. Statistics be damned.

Yeah, it's just a symbol, but that doesn't mean that it has to be as wee as yermom's iPod. ;)

OUAndy1807
1/24/2007, 05:18 PM
don't buy her a nice ring unless you care about making her happy. you guys can bitch about having to buy a ring or what a waste of money it is, but it's a BIG deal to most women. you can try to act like it isn't, but it is.

my wife would have been ok with a more modest ring, but we had dated 10 years and I knew this engagement ring would be something that she would have for the rest of her life.

that being said, go for quality over size. The ring I got my wife was only .81c, but the cut and clarity on the thing make a huge difference. I had buddies who got their chicks huge fraking diamonds, but when you hold them up next to my wife's ring, they look yellow and silly.

get something classy, spend what you feel is right, but don't skimp on something (especially if you know it's important to her) because a bunch of dudes on a message board tell you what a waste of money it is.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 05:22 PM
get something classy, spend what you feel is right, but don't skimp on something (especially if you know it's important to her) because a bunch of dudes on a message board tell you what a waste of money it is.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have money too blow and 10 years of a relationship without tying the knot... I would have too think she would take something classy and modest... When you have too think about inflation, rising healthcare and college education for the kids... Just me but abusing the nest egg depending on your age or where you are at in Maslow's hirarchy of needs that investing in a rock with your kids futures on the line- says a lot about womans priorities... Just me though

OUAndy1807
1/24/2007, 05:26 PM
Unless you have money too blow and 10 years of a relationship without tying the knot... I would have too think she would take something classy and modest... When you have too think about inflation, rising healthcare and college education for the kids... Just me but abusing the nest egg depending on your age or where you are at in Maslow's hirarchy of needs that investing in a rock with your kids futures on the line- says a lot about womans priorities... Just me though
it's not about giving her what she'll take.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 05:28 PM
it's not about giving her what she'll take.

I hear you- but with today's divorce rate- may want to save some for the lawyers too... I left that out.. I think the 10 year thing is worth a big arse diamond weather commited or married.

C&CDean
don't buy her a nice ring unless you care about making her happy. you guys can bitch about having to buy a ring or what a waste of money it is, but it's a BIG deal to most women. you can try to act like it isn't, but it is.

my wife would have been ok with a more modest ring, but we had dated 10 years and I knew this engagement ring would be something that she would have for the rest of her life.

that being said, go for quality over size. The ring I got my wife was only .81c, but the cut and clarity on the thing make a huge difference. I had buddies who got their chicks huge fraking diamonds, but when you hold them up next to my wife's ring, they look yellow and silly.

get something classy, spend what you feel is right, but don't skimp on something (especially if you know it's important to her) because a bunch of dudes on a message board tell you what a waste of money it is.

Advice from a munchkin always is sound advice.

Yeah, you better buy her a big, expensive diamond. After all, it IS the only thing important to the female units. You don't want her being ridiculed by her teenage-level friends, so go ahead, take a big *** loan and buy her a rock for 3 times what it's worth. Hey, you're gonna make her one happy woman. Of course you'll be broke, will not get one smidgen more poon than you would if you gave her a beer can popper, and when you get divorced, she will sell it for pennies on the dollar and keep the change. But she'll be happy the day you hand her the big ring.

yermom
When I went shopping for a ring I didn't have any idea how much I'd end up spending, I had a ceiling that I didn't want to go over, but I had no idea what any given amount of money would buy.

So I looked at stuff, and the setting/stone combination that I thought she'd really like turned out to be less than my ceiling but more than most stuff I've purchased.

Here's the thing, it doesn't make any sense to me to hurt yourself financially, but if you're the type that sometimes blows money on "luxury" stuff anyway, (and looking at the number of threads dedicated to big-screen tv's, golf clubs, top of the line computers, etc, many of us on here are), you might as well divert some of that cash to get something that she'll always be proud to have on her finger. After all, with luck, she'll be wearing that thing a lot longer than you'll be watching a new plasma. Statistics be damned.

Yeah, it's just a symbol, but that doesn't mean that it has to be as wee as yermom's iPod. ;)

always with the iPod, this is what i get for posting personal stuff here :mad:

i kinda put this in the same boat as Chick Christmas, women work now, they vote, why the hell does she need a huge rock from me?

i agree with Dean on this one, but kinda from the other end of the spectrum ;)

crap like this is kinda why i'm not married though...

Petro-Sooner
1/24/2007, 05:30 PM
Actually diamonds are minerals, not rocks.

Sorry, it had to be said. :cool: :D

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 05:31 PM
And FWIW, my wife has a fairly nice ring. Only a fag could tell you the cut, carats, and carat weight of the gold though. And I don't have a clue what I paid for it. Couple thou probably, I really don't remember. I'm pretty sure she likes it, and I think she wears it, but I haven't checked in years.

OUAndy1807
1/24/2007, 05:32 PM

Yeah, you better buy her a big, expensive diamond. After all, it IS the only thing important to the female units. You don't want her being ridiculed by her teenage-level friends, so go ahead, take a big *** loan and buy her a rock for 3 times what it's worth. Hey, you're gonna make her one happy woman. Of course you'll be broke, will not get one smidgen more poon than you would if you gave her a beer can popper, and when you get divorced, she will sell it for pennies on the dollar and keep the change. But she'll be happy the day you hand her the big ring.
I never said to buy her something you can't afford or to go into debt for it, but I know what's important to my wife and her friends, and even if I don't understand it I care enough about her to want to give it to her if I'm able. Maybe your wife isn't into these types of things. If that's the case then good, you're lucky. To most women I know it's a big deal.

Again, I'm not saying be irresponsible about it. We all spend money on illogical things, I don't understand why people freak out about this one in particular.

sooneron
1/24/2007, 05:34 PM
I have a guy in the diamond district, he gets the stuff at an awesome price. The security in his building is crazy. Let me know if you want his digits. I bet he could do better than the price you quoted for .75 .
The best thing is that he's not Hassidic.

Oh, and I got a Rolex out of the deal from her. Of course, she also got a diamond wedding band with much bling. I've had my guy do 3 pieces of jewelry and they were all great. No loose settings etc and beautiful rocks.

sooneron
1/24/2007, 05:35 PM
And what Andy said!

skycat
1/24/2007, 05:36 PM

People spend gobs of cash on stereo speakers, and spinning rims, and fancy cameras, and all kinds of other things. I think all Andy and I are saying is that if you're one of these kinds of people, spend a little less on that crap for a while to pay for the ring. No big deal.

MojoRisen
I have a guy in the diamond district, he gets the stuff at an awesome price. The security in his building is crazy. Let me know if you want his digits. I bet he could do better than the price you quoted for .75 .

Oh, and I got a Rolex out of the deal from her. Of course, she also got a diamond wedding band with much bling. I've had my guy do 3 pieces of jewelry and they were all great. No loose settings etc and beautiful rocks.

Now your talking pay 3K and get 7K worth of mark up! Sounds like a winner too me... Who you know not what you know...

yermom

dude, they are minerals

C&CDean
I never said to buy her something you can't afford or to go into debt for it, but I know what's important to my wife and her friends, and even if I don't understand it I care enough about her to want to give it to her if I'm able. Maybe your wife isn't into these types of things. If that's the case then good, you're lucky. To most women I know it's a big deal.

Again, I'm not saying be irresponsible about it. We all spend money on illogical things, I don't understand why people freak out about this one in particular.

I'll tell you why. Cause this one is stupid. A car you can drive. A house you can live in. A bed you can sleep in and ****. A vacation you can enjoy together. A $5K bottle of wine you can at least drink and cop a buzz on. A ring? She holds it on her finger and shows her friends. And you wonder why this one is stupid?

My wife loves her ring. I guess. Ain't never complained. And she shouldn't. She picked it out. Judas H. Priest in a B.C. Clarke store people, men ain't designed to pick this **** out. You boys who know about carats and all that worry me.

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 05:38 PM
And what Andy said!

pfffft. Says the newlywed sucker. You wait my friend, you wait....

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 05:40 PM

Boy, you really have gone whole hog yankee, haven't you. I don't even know you any more. Next you're gonna change your name to Vito and become "made" huh?

sooneron
1/24/2007, 05:41 PM
pfffft. Says the newlywed sucker. You wait my friend, you wait....
The honeymoon has BEEN over. Now she's knocked up and grouchy today.

Mongo
1/24/2007, 05:41 PM
I just think Dean is upset at this subject cause he spent way over market value for his diamond encrusted Prince Albert.

sooneron
1/24/2007, 05:42 PM
Boy, you really have gone whole hog yankee, haven't you. I don't even know you any more. Next you're gonna change your name to Vito and become "made" huh?
Sure, if you would like to put a wager on the super bowl, just call cha cha at his pastry shop on Mulberry.

Hey, I could be an uber-idiot and go to Tiffany or something. What I bought would have cost 1.5 - 2X what I paid for it. Always go to the middle man.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 05:42 PM
The honeymoon has BEEN over. Now she's knocked up and grouchy today.

Should have saved a couple of Gs for the fudge sickle midnight cravings and lost sleep and productivity :D

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 05:43 PM
i didnt get mrs jk the cheapest ring in the store, but i got her exactly what i could afford on my budget.....she's happy with it

if you've got $$ to throw around on a ring, then great

but if you have to finance it or otherwise go in debt, then not a good idea

proud gonzo
1/24/2007, 05:44 PM
DON'T GO OVER $1K ON THE RING!!! You're a damned fool if you do. My woman got a .65 carat round cut solitaire in a tiffany setting for $932.

i disagree completely. If she loves you, and you're asking if she'll marry you, it doesn't matter how you do it. I don't know that I'd WANT some clever weird proposal.

Don't spend beyond your means to buy an engagement ring, but don't be cheap. IMO, it's far more important to buy the absolute best quality ring and diamond you can for the amount of money you're able to spend. If that means a slightly smaller but higher quality diamond, that's ok. You're not just buying a shiny thing for her to show off, you're making an investment.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2007, 05:45 PM
I think the amount of money one spends on something like this is relative to ones net worth (or lack thereof) and financially ability. Now I know the size of the ring has nothing to do with how much you care about someone, but to say that you should only spend X on a ring is stupid. Unless X is some sort of percentage of what you can truly afford to swallow. The ring my boss bought his wife is retarded big. But he can afford it. So whatever.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2007, 05:46 PM
You're not just buying a shiny thing for her to show off, you're making an investment.

Ummmm, no you're not. Ever try and resell a diamond? It ain't pretty.

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:47 PM
yeah, you'd be better off with a shotgun ;)

skycat
1/24/2007, 05:47 PM
Is "retarded big" some kind of forehead joke?

mdklatt
1/24/2007, 05:48 PM
you're making an investment

You make it sound like he's going to be able to sell the ring.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2007, 05:48 PM
Is "retarded big" some kind of forehead joke?

Maybe you could use some makeup or something to add some shadows so it doesn't seem so big.

:dean:, I apologize for talking about makeup in this thread. I will go kill a small mammal and cook it on my grill tonight as penance.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2007, 05:50 PM
yeah, you'd be better off with a shotgun ;)

Who'd you knock up?

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 05:52 PM
you usually get a return on your investment...... ;)

sooneron
1/24/2007, 05:54 PM
but if you have to finance it or otherwise go in debt, then not a good idea
Yep!
I have a buddy that was talking about engagement rings one day and he says, "Well of course you finance that"

I was so stunned, I couldn't speak. I'm pretty sure he spent WAY too much at BC Clark's. He came close to breaking the 2Ct. barrier.

Plus, my guy takes cash and you don't have to pay tax!:texan:

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:54 PM
Who'd you knock up?

SKEET SKEET SKEET!

sooneron
1/24/2007, 05:55 PM
you usually get a return on your investment...... ;)
For about a month.

proud gonzo
1/24/2007, 05:57 PM
Ummmm, no you're not. Ever try and resell a diamond? It ain't pretty.good lord, i forgot i'm talking to men. :rolleyes: I didnt' mean you're making an investment with the diamond. I mean by proposing, you're making an investment. you know, of your life.

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:59 PM
good lord, i forgot i'm talking to men. :rolleyes: I didnt' mean you're making an investment with the diamond. I mean by proposing, you're making an investment. you know, of your life.

have you seen the returns on those investments? :eek:

;)

skycat
1/24/2007, 06:00 PM
good lord, i forgot i'm talking to men. :rolleyes: I didnt' mean you're making an investment with the diamond. I mean by proposing, you're making an investment. you know, of your life.

How do I record that in Quicken?

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 06:01 PM
For about a month.

that long? really? ;)

sooneron
1/24/2007, 06:04 PM
that long? really? ;)
;) :rolleyes: :(

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 06:06 PM
:eek: :confused: :mad:

soonerboomer93
1/24/2007, 06:07 PM
How do I record that in Quicken?

and is it tax deductable?

skycat
1/24/2007, 06:11 PM
and is it tax deductable?

No. In fact if you're like me, you end up paying a penalty. :mad:

BajaOklahoma
1/24/2007, 06:18 PM
One of my son's friends got married in October. Everyone is talking about how much he spent on the ring - 30,000. Plus the band, another 10,000 as it had lots of diamond chips. We are talking almost a year's salary for him. She's not worth it.

My son's girlfriend is serious about my son spending two month's salary on her diamond. I am going to advise him on the 4 Cs and tell him he can get her a bigger diamond (which is what she wants), but of a lesser quality to keep the price reasonable.

I lost the diamond out of my ring several years ago. :( A friend worked parttime at the Diamond Exhange in Dallas and she got us in. I got a 3/4 carat diamond, very high quality, for around 5,000. I went for the quality.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=BajaOklahoma]One of my son's friends got married in October. Everyone is talking about how much he spent on the ring - 30,000. Plus the band, another 10,000 as it had lots of diamond chips. We are talking almost a year's salary for him. She's not worth it.

PW'd Son PW'd is what they are saying!!!

Stoop Dawg
1/24/2007, 06:45 PM
Put me in the "it's okay to spend money on your wife" camp.

However, if you have to finance it for more than 4-6 months then you're spending too much. Also, be sure to discuss the financial aspect with her. Let her know that there is a trade-off with a more expensive ring (waiting longer for a bigger house, a less expensive wedding, etc.). It's definitely a "luxury item", so don't budget it ahead of the staples. But if you make a decent wage then there is no problem with purchasing a nice ring for the woman you love.

We selected the diamond and the setting separately (even bought them at different places). I thought it was easier to make a decision when you know what you're paying for each one.

sooneron
1/24/2007, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=BajaOklahoma]One of my son's friends got married in October. Everyone is talking about how much he spent on the ring - 30,000. Plus the band, another 10,000 as it had lots of diamond chips. We are talking almost a year's salary for him. She's not worth it.

PW'd Son PW'd is what they are saying!!!
Uh, no, they are talking about how he's painfully retarded.

Stoop Dawg
1/24/2007, 06:47 PM
One of my son's friends got married in October. Everyone is talking about how much he spent on the ring - 30,000. Plus the band, another 10,000 as it had lots of diamond chips. We are talking almost a year's salary for him. She's not worth it.

IMO, a woman worth marrying wouldn't let her fiance spend a year's salary on a ring (not when a year's salary is $40K anyway).

sooneron
1/24/2007, 06:53 PM
IMO, a woman worth marrying wouldn't let her fiance spend a year's salary on a ring (not when a year's salary is $40K anyway).
Isn't the part in parens pretty obligatory?

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 06:56 PM

For 40K I could have a Dynamic Website, 10 woman and 2 drivers and a strong marketing strategy to last atleaset until breakeven at 3 months! Just me though....

Stoop Dawg
1/24/2007, 07:01 PM

Not sure what you mean, but if you make a mil a year and have 50 mil in the bank then dropping a mil on a ring wouldn't be all that crazy.

I guess if the dude has a mil in the bank then dropping 40K isn't that big a deal - but if he's only making 40K a year I doubt he has a mil in the bank. Could be, I guess.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 07:09 PM
Not sure what you mean, but if you make a mil a year and have 50 mil in the bank then dropping a mil on a ring wouldn't be all that crazy.

I guess if the dude has a mil in the bank then dropping 40K isn't that big a deal - but if he's only making 40K a year I doubt he has a mil in the bank. Could be, I guess.

therfore 4.5 5 % of net worth.... I would go as far as 20%(relevance) but would never finance over 5K - no way not on a ring.... I think the kids who are throwing out all the pizza,fudgesickle and diaper money that they can bye on a ring are out of their minds... but if it doesn't matter then that is the competition and the force behind the evil blood diamond industry and ADJ interest rates! I may just purchase my next fiance 10gs in Copper,Gold and silver with the failing dollar and she can wear the damn bond on her neck....

Oldnslo
1/24/2007, 07:20 PM
INVESTMENT?! Certainly not in the traditional sense, as has already been pointed out, as this item is not to be "traded". And, dear PG, not in the "life" or "oxygen channel" sense, either.

Somewhere along the line, some advertising executive/diamond cartel mofo decided to make the price of the ring somehow reflective of the gent's love or level of committment to the lady.

B f'n S

The Wife Unit and I designed our rings. She went with a ruby instead of a diamond. It's not so big, either, what with the two of us being as poor as... recently graduated lawyers, just starting our careers with a mountain of school loans and trying to buy a house who are working fo de gubment.

She wears her wedding ring exactly half the year. The other half? When the Princess was born, I gave her another ruby ring. When the Beautiful Boy was born, I gave her a diamond ring, where the diamonds surround the ruby. 'cause I'm thoughtful and awesome and all that.

But, the rings, ANY RINGS and for that matter, ANY JEWELERY is worth more for its intrinsic value than for its extrinsic (dollar, hillbillies) value. You just don't sell Grandma's ring, no matter what it is made of or worth.

...and when Dean and I agree, it's got to be True.

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 07:30 PM
Then it is the vision of love and things to come and not of that of material acceptance! If you have the communication level to handle the longevity of a plan(death do us part) that last more than a 50% divorce rate you are likely ahead of the curve... If you want too talk net worth and how much should can spend be sure you love her and she loves you and not the idea of you...

I just took another shot at people who are shallow and worried about inner circles of politics or circles -

Man I would love to find a woman who I could hook up over time! and not pay for both lawyers while I am at it and a ring payment when I could be driving a new hummer and taking the depreciation value against my income!

sooneron
1/24/2007, 11:33 PM

Crap, forgot about the savings part.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 08:42 AM
So, I believe we've come to a consensus that spending a bunch of jack on a ring is hopelessly stupid. Good. Should I lock the thread now?

sooneron
1/25/2007, 08:43 AM
Nope, we need closure. And strangely, this thread hasn't been jacked yet.

1stTimeCaller
1/25/2007, 08:52 AM
So, I believe we've come to a consensus that worryng if others spend a bunch of jack on a ring is hopelessly stupid. Good. Should I lock the thread now?

throw away the key, Deano.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 09:34 AM

Worrying? Personally I could give a **** if somebody wants to be a dumbass schmo and blow his cash on some huzzy who's gonna pawn the POS ring later and go buy crack with the $$. I'm just trying to help here. Now scramble me some eggs, bitch.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2007, 09:36 AM
methinks there is some confusion.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 09:41 AM
Well there is now.

85Sooner
1/25/2007, 09:49 AM
Don't get hitched. That is all.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2007, 09:49 AM
Should I lock the thread now?

Worrying? Personally I could give a **** if somebody wants to be a dumbass schmo and blow his cash on some huzzy who's gonna pawn the POS ring later and go buy crack with the $$. I'm just trying to help here. Now scramble me some eggs, bitch.

interesting progression :D

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 09:50 AM
interesting progression :D

You have to read his jacking of my quote. Try to keep up.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2007, 09:52 AM
I can only read 1 post every 60 seconds.

It makes it tough.

fadada1
1/25/2007, 10:13 AM
sheesh!!! sorry i missed all this conversation after i left work yesterday.

amazing what a single shiney rock... err, mineral will do to us men.

basically, i'm not looking to break my checking account, but i am willing to spend a little to get a (very) good diamond. i'm not going to get some yellowish stone that looks like it was cut with a soap dish. if the thing is smaller... fine. i just want it to be a quality stone.

i've got some friends that bought some giant rocks that look like they came out of a crackerjack box. i'm not that type of guy, and my lady is not that type of girl. maybe i can get a flat screen out of this....

sooneron
1/25/2007, 10:16 AM
Check yer peems

and this thread got really good. Thanks 1tc!!

frankensooner
1/25/2007, 10:19 AM
When my misses was pregnant the first time, she took her ring off and put it in her purse. (her hand had swollen) She then promptly lost the ring at the mall. A ring is nice, but wouldn't she rather you put the cash into an annuity or something?

frankensooner
1/25/2007, 10:33 AM
Truth be told, I have been engaged three times and married the once. Don't spend a lot of jack on something that will either get lost or you will have to resell. The first one I bought I got for cost and sold it back taking a small loss. The second one, I lost over 50% of the value when I sold it. As I mentioned on the third one, she lost it within two years of the wedding.

Do like Dean says, don't go overboard and in 10 years or so, get her something nice.

TexasLidig8r
1/25/2007, 10:52 AM
Proving that once again, the most expensive piece of real estate in the world.. is...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/552536/2/istockphoto_552536_swing_girl.jpg

skycat
1/25/2007, 11:02 AM
Swings? Parks?

It's weird what people sell as stock photographs.

mdklatt
1/25/2007, 11:06 AM
A ring is nice, but wouldn't she rather you put the cash into an annuity or something?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 11:07 AM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

I was gonna do that too. Like reason and common sense matters when you're dealing with chicks and guys who are under the stupid spell.

frankensooner
1/25/2007, 11:10 AM
Stupid spell is an apt description. Thanks Dean. That is why I was engaged twice before I found the right one.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 11:17 AM
Stupid spell is an apt description. Thanks Dean. That is why I was engaged twice before I found the right one.

I've seen grown-assed men do the silliest stuff while under the spell. Can you believe that a man would attend a baby shower or a wedding shower? Can you believe that a man would just open up his wallet and say "here honey, I work only for you, take it all, hell I don't need it as long as I've got you..." Can you believe that a man could be coerced into learning how to do laundry and run a vacuum cleaner?

Only the stupid spell could make this stuff happen.

proud gonzo
1/25/2007, 11:42 AM
A ring is nice, but wouldn't she rather you put the cash into an annuity or something?seriously? LOL! you mean would she rather you save up the money rather than spend it? saving up money is only good if you're going to spend it on something. In this situation, that something is supposed to be a completely useless, big, sparkly rock.

frankensooner
1/25/2007, 11:46 AM
I said that tounge in cheek, next time I will add a smilie. I mean, I said I have been engaged three times, right, I understand what wimmins want as far as rings go! ;)

OUAndy1807
1/25/2007, 11:47 AM
so the concensus is:
married guys: try to make her happy.
lonely dudes: rings are dumb.
Dean: buy her a piece of farm equipment or a pig.

MamaMia
1/25/2007, 11:50 AM
My husband and I were so busy paying bills and saving money when we got married. I told him that a band would do nicely until he could pay for the diamond himself, without relying on any credit card or bank. So I picked out a band that would look beautiful with a diamond on it. We got that later on.

frankensooner
1/25/2007, 11:55 AM
You are a good egg Mom! :)

TexasLidig8r
1/25/2007, 12:09 PM
ok ok.. so, I need one of you good women folk to explain to me the significance of a shiny bauble?

Is it the symbolism? Is it the fact that the man made a financial investment in the relationship? Is it the manifestation of a commitment that can be shown to others? Does the purchasing of an expensive item convey that he is completely emotionally invested? Is it the female equivalent of saying, "mine is bigger than yours?"

mdklatt
1/25/2007, 12:24 PM
Is it the symbolism? Is it the fact that the man made a financial investment in the relationship? Is it the manifestation of a commitment that can be shown to others? Does the purchasing of an expensive item convey that he is completely emotionally invested?

What women say but don't really mean.

Is it the female equivalent of saying, "mine is bigger than yours?

What women won't say but really mean.

fadada1
1/25/2007, 12:29 PM
Is it the female equivalent of saying, "mine is bigger than yours?"
hopefully it's not the "*sigh* i wish it was bigger."

we are talking about a diamond, right???

:D

soonersweetie
1/25/2007, 12:29 PM
Been married 14 yrs, have probably a 1/4 carat diamond wedding ring of yellow gold. He picked it out for me, surprised me with it actually. But point is, it's not the ring that makes the marriage. I have no idea how much he spent on it, though I expect it wasn't tons and I wouldn't have wanted it to be. Same with the wedding, nothing overblown. We had 15 people at our wedding, small and inexpensive with a nice reception at a restaurant with our family.

I would much rather take that money and spend it on trips to see OU play and be able to have a nicer house, etc.

Good, happy marriage does not equate to how much money is spent. It's not about show and tell...see, my ring is bigger than your ring crap

fadada1
1/25/2007, 12:33 PM
Been married 14 yrs, have probably a 1/4 carat diamond wedding ring of yellow gold. He picked it out for me, surprised me with it actually. But point is, it's not the ring that makes the marriage. I have no idea how much he spent on it, though I expect it wasn't tons and I wouldn't have wanted it to be. Same with the wedding, nothing overblown. We had 15 people at our wedding, small and inexpensive with a nice reception at a restaurant with our family.

I would much rather take that money and spend it on trips to see OU play and be able to have a nicer house, etc.

Good, happy marriage does not equate to how much money is spent. It's not about show and tell...see, my ring is bigger than your ring crap
you looking for another man???:D

Boomer.....
1/25/2007, 12:38 PM
so the concensus is:
married guys: try to make her happy.
lonely dudes: rings are dumb.
Dean: buy her a piece of farm equipment or a pig.

Sounds about right. :D

Stoop Dawg
1/25/2007, 01:32 PM
Truth be told, I have been engaged three times and married the once. Don't spend a lot of jack on something that will either get lost or you will have to resell. The first one I bought I got for cost and sold it back taking a small loss. The second one, I lost over 50% of the value when I sold it. As I mentioned on the third one, she lost it within two years of the wedding.

Do like Dean says, don't go overboard and in 10 years or so, get her something nice.

"Honey, I love you. Will you marry me? Yes? Great! Here's a small ring just in case it doesn't work out. I'll get you something bigger in a few years if I still love you then."

You guys are pure genius. No wonder there's a 50% divorce rate in Oklahoma.

frankensooner
1/25/2007, 01:36 PM
Maybe there is a 50% divorce rate because of the money problems caused by going into hock buying something you can't afford.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2007, 01:38 PM
No wonder there's a 50% divorce rate in Oklahoma.
Where is the rate better?

Mjcpr
1/25/2007, 01:39 PM

Outside of the Oklahoma borders. Only those that like divorce live here.

Vaevictis
1/25/2007, 01:50 PM
You guys are pure genius. No wonder there's a 50% divorce rate in Oklahoma.

Heh, IMO, if a woman has a problem with a man not wanting to drop >15% of his annual income on a piece of jewelry, then the couple will probably be headed for divorce anyway because she clearly doesn't know the value of a f*cking dollar.

Save that money and put it towards a down payment on a house.

Stoop Dawg
1/25/2007, 02:21 PM
Maybe there is a 50% divorce rate because of the money problems caused by going into hock buying something you can't afford.

One of the categories in which you absolutely MUST be in agreement with your spouse is finances. If one person is a miser and the other a spend-thrift, you're gonna have problems regardless of what kind of ring you buy.

The point - which I'm not surprised most of you missed - is that you should KNOW the person you are going to marry BEFORE you propose.

Stoop Dawg
1/25/2007, 02:22 PM

Almost everywhere.

Except Nevada.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2007, 02:23 PM
The point - which I'm not surprised most of you missed - is that you should KNOW the person you are going to marry BEFORE you propose.
And how does that point relate specifically to Oklahoma and not other places?

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2007, 02:24 PM
Almost everywhere.

Except Nevada.
Are you considering 49% VS 50% being a significant difference?

fadada1
1/25/2007, 02:27 PM
i'm convinced the deep south and texas is pulling the divorce rate up nationwide. in my 2 years in texas, i had students that were 18-20 years old and had married their high school sweetheart. while there's nothing wrong with that (and i see it more in the south), once these kids get to college, they see how smoking hawt some of the other fish in the sea can be.

Stoop Dawg
1/25/2007, 02:28 PM
Heh, IMO, if a woman has a problem with a man not wanting to drop >15% of his annual income on a piece of jewelry, then the couple will probably be headed for divorce anyway because she clearly doesn't know the value of a f*cking dollar.

Save that money and put it towards a down payment on a house.

What kind of house? Surely you're not implying that it's impossible to buy an overpriced, oversized, "impress my friends" house?

Fiscal compatibility is the point. An engagement ring is only one of many places a couple can disagree on how much money to spend. A HDTV is another. A house is another. No matter what you buy there is a "practical" version and a "mega-bucks" version out there. And "practical" varies by individual. Some people would call Dean's $2K ring insane. Why spend $2K when you can get a gold band for $200 that has the same meaning? What a complete waste of $2,000!! I'm just sayin'.

fadada1
1/25/2007, 02:33 PM
interesting website - dude has some anger problems:

http://www.****thesouth.com/ (you gotta put the appropriate letters in there yourself)

here's 1994:

1 Massachusetts 14,530 2.4
2 Connecticut 9,095 2.8
3 New Jersey 23,899 3.0
4 Rhode Island 3,231 3.2
5 New York 59,195 3.3
Pennsylvania 40,040 3.3
7 Wisconsin 17,478 3.4
North Dakota 2,201 3.4
9 Maryland 17,439 3.5
10 Minnesota 16,217 3.6
Louisiana *** 3.6
12 Illinois 43,398 3.7
13 District of 2,244 3.9
Columbia
Iowa 10,930 3.9
15 Nebraska 6,547 4.0
Vermont 2,316 4.0
17 Michigan 38,727 4.1
18 South Dakota 3,022 4.2
South Carolina 15,301 4.2
Hawaii 4,979 4.2
21 California *** 4.3
22 Maine 5,433 4.4
New Hampshire 5,041 4.4
24 Ohio 49,968 4.5
25 Virginia 30,016 4.6
26 Kansas 12,093 4.7
Utah 8,999 4.7
28 Delaware 3,385 4.8
29 Montana 4,153 4.9
30 Missouri 26,324 5.0
West Virginia 9,179 5.0
32 North Carolina 36,292 5.1
Colorado 18,795 5.1
34 Georgia 37,001 5.2
35 Oregon 16,307 5.3
36 Texas 99,073 5.4
37 Alaska 3,354 5.5
38 Washington 29,976 5.6
39 Mississippi 15,212 5.7
40 Kentucky 22,211 5.8
Arizona 23,725 5.8
42 Florida 82,963 5.9
43 New Mexico 9,882 6.0
44 Idaho 7,075 6.2
Alabama 26,116 6.2
46 Indiana *** 6.4
47 Wyoming 3,071 6.5
48 Tennessee 34,167 6.6
49 Oklahoma 21,855 6.7
50 Arkansas 17,458 7.1
51 Nevada 13,061 9.0

skycat
1/25/2007, 02:35 PM
I don't feel like clicking on that link at work. What do those numbers mean?

fadada1
1/25/2007, 02:40 PM
I don't feel like clicking on that link at work. What do those numbers mean?
big number = number of divorces
last number on right = rate per 1000

Vaevictis
1/25/2007, 02:42 PM
What kind of house? Surely you're not implying that it's impossible to buy an overpriced, oversized, "impress my friends" house?

Sure, it's possible. My point isn't that you shouldn't buy an expensive ring... if that's what you want to do. My point is that if the girl gets annoyed because you won't spend >15% of your gross annual income, then she is probably someone who doesn't know the value of a dollar, and you're in for trouble anyway.

(Not always the case, just IMO probable.)

Fiscal compatibility is the point. An engagement ring is only one of many places a couple can disagree on how much money to spend.

It ain't the "couple" spending the money until their finances are combined, which usually happens at marriage. Until the marriage is finalized and/or daddy starts making payments on the wedding, the guy usually owns all of the risk. (And even once daddy starts making payments on the wedding, it's daddy's money at risk...)

Again, this isn't always the case. I've just seen it too goddamn often not to be bitter about it.

Personally, I like the way the Spanish do it -- guy gets girl a ring, girl gets guy a similarly expensive watch. If **** goes downhill for some reason, they're both out an equal amount.

skycat
1/25/2007, 02:42 PM
big number = number of divorces
last number on right = rate per 1000

Thanks. That's pretty interesting.

Stoop Dawg
1/25/2007, 02:45 PM
It ain't the "couple" spending the money until their finances are combined, which usually happens at marriage.

I would agree that the purchase of an engagement ring is a heck of a good first indicator of financial compatibility.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 02:49 PM
Personally, I like the way the Spanish do it -- guy gets girl a ring, girl gets guy a similarly expensive watch. If **** goes downhill for some reason, they're both out an equal amount.

It's NEVER equal in divorce. If you've got testes, you're gonna get screwed. Every time. I went through a divorce, ended up getting custody, the house, and $570 a month from her and I still got screwed. It cost me $34K in legal fees, I had to spend mucho time in court, had to jump through hoops, spent many a sleepless night, just to get what was right.

Her? Her daddy payed, and it was about $10K. If I'd have only spent $10K my kids would all be crackheads living with her now.

No, it's never equal.

Vaevictis
1/25/2007, 02:51 PM
It's NEVER equal in divorce. If you've got testes, you're gonna get screwed.

I was referring to it being equal if it went downhill prior to the marriage ;)

Every time. I went through a divorce, ended up getting custody, the house, and $570 a month from her and I still got screwed.
(...)

No, it's never equal.

And this isn't always true. Maybe most always. But not always. I know of a counter-example. ;)

fadada1
1/25/2007, 03:00 PM
$570/month!!!! that's a nice car you're not driving.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 03:04 PM
$570/month!!!! that's a nice car you're not driving.

And you know what's really not "equal?" At the beginning of the divorce, she got temporary custody. I was ordered to pay her $970 a month. Three kids. We're talking 1986 here people. $970 in 1986 bucks is about like $1,500 in 2007 bucks. We made almost the same amount of money, only I get hit for damn near double the child support. All for having testes.

fadada1
1/25/2007, 03:07 PM
And you know what's really not "equal?" At the beginning of the divorce, she got temporary custody. I was ordered to pay her $970 a month. Three kids. We're talking 1986 here people. $970 in 1986 bucks is about like $1,500 in 2007 bucks. We made almost the same amount of money, only I get hit for damn near double the child support. All for having testes.
good lord!!! and i suppose it was her fault as well?

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 03:16 PM
good lord!!! and i suppose it was her fault as well?

Well of course. How do you think I ended up with custody? She was a coke head of epic proportion. Sometimes wouldn't come home for a week. And the judge still gave her custody while we were going through the proceedings. Fair schmair.

fadada1
1/25/2007, 03:27 PM
Well of course. How do you think I ended up with custody? She was a coke head of epic proportion. Sometimes wouldn't come home for a week. And the judge still gave her custody while we were going through the proceedings. Fair schmair.
she must've had a helluva lawyer.

sorry to hear about all that.

TexasLidig8r
1/25/2007, 03:29 PM
It's NEVER equal in divorce. If you've got testes, you're gonna get screwed. Every time. I went through a divorce, ended up getting custody, the house, and $570 a month from her and I still got screwed. It cost me $34K in legal fees, I had to spend mucho time in court, had to jump through hoops, spent many a sleepless night, just to get what was right.

Her? Her daddy payed, and it was about $10K. If I'd have only spent $10K my kids would all be crackheads living with her now.

No, it's never equal.

I only would've charged you $30,000.

TexasLidig8r
1/25/2007, 03:30 PM

:rolleyes:

Explain mail order brides then! HA!

;)

MojoRisen
1/25/2007, 03:31 PM
If you are going to get hitched- make sure she is extremely cool and the one or that she is extremely wealthy!

I really think there should be some legislative changes to how divorces are handled with the current population of newlyweds and the divorce rate- could be a real problem down the road for divorced men...

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 03:34 PM
she must've had a helluva lawyer.

sorry to hear about all that.

No, her lawyer was a fat, ugly dyke. She never had anything prepared on time, continuously asked for extensions, and was as unprofessional as the day is long. I'm trying to tell you here, it ain't ever fair.

And you're considering dropping $5K on a ****ing ring that really doesn't mean squat. Several of the sensible females on here have already said the price/size of the ring doesn't mean anything to them, it's the relationship that matters. And they're right on. All these guys going "just make momma happy no matter what the cost" are losers who couldn't get laid if momma left the house so they spend a lot of $$ to keep her around.

Go blow your wad on your girlfriend if it makes you feel better. Go research a bunch of useless stuff on jewelry and learn all about clarity, carats, and other worthless crapola. Go ahead and try to chisel some greasy middle-easterner down a few bucks. Good on ya'. Just don't say you weren't warned.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 03:35 PM
I only would've charged you $30,000.

Mother****er I'd have given her the ranch if you were the only attorney to be had.

olevetonahill
1/25/2007, 03:45 PM
I said that tounge in cheek, next time I will add a smilie. I mean, I said I have been engaged three times, right, I understand what wimmins want as far as rings go! ;)
Yup they want one in your NOSE :eek:

fadada1
1/25/2007, 03:51 PM
No, her lawyer was a fat, ugly dyke. She never had anything prepared on time, continuously asked for extensions, and was as unprofessional as the day is long. I'm trying to tell you here, it ain't ever fair.

And you're considering dropping $5K on a ****ing ring that really doesn't mean squat. Several of the sensible females on here have already said the price/size of the ring doesn't mean anything to them, it's the relationship that matters. And they're right on. All these guys going "just make momma happy no matter what the cost" are losers who couldn't get laid if momma left the house so they spend a lot of $$ to keep her around.

Go blow your wad on your girlfriend if it makes you feel better. Go research a bunch of useless stuff on jewelry and learn all about clarity, carats, and other worthless crapola. Go ahead and try to chisel some greasy middle-easterner down a few bucks. Good on ya'. Just don't say you weren't warned.

don't worry, it won't be $5K.

i gots me a good one here. i think being older than the "typical" marriage age has helped our relationship. there are no games of any kind. she's made it very easy for me.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 03:56 PM
don't worry, it won't be $5K.

i gots me a good one here. i think being older than the "typical" marriage age has helped our relationship. there are no games of any kind. she's made it very easy for me.

Yeah, she's been easy for me too...

I'll be here all week folks.

fadada1
1/25/2007, 03:58 PM
heh.

Stoop Dawg
1/25/2007, 04:17 PM
All these guys going "just make momma happy no matter what the cost" are losers who couldn't get laid if momma left the house so they spend a lot of $$ to keep her around.

I guess my reading comprehension is bad, because in 8+ pages I haven't seen ANYONE say that.

Or are you just exaggerating other people's opinions to make yours look more palatable?

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 04:26 PM
I guess my reading comprehension is bad, because in 8+ pages I haven't seen ANYONE say that.

Or are you just exaggerating other people's opinions to make yours look more palatable?

Yes, I'd have to say your reading comprehension is bad. Especially reading between the lines. And there's nothing "palatable" at all about my opinion. It tastes like aardvark coochie. But it doesn't make it any less true. Foul tasting, yes. True, yes.

1stTimeCaller
1/25/2007, 04:52 PM

Dean's is very palatable. It's also awfully messy when he's done. You have been warned.

Stoop Dawg
1/25/2007, 05:00 PM
Yes, I'd have to say your reading comprehension is bad. Especially reading between the lines.

Can you enlighten me? I'd appreciate it. Who said (or implied) "make momma happy no matter what the cost"?

TexasLidig8r
1/25/2007, 06:54 PM
Yes, I'd have to say your reading comprehension is bad. Especially reading between the lines. And there's nothing "palatable" at all about my opinion. It tastes like aardvark coochie. But it doesn't make it any less true. Foul tasting, yes. True, yes.

No aardvark coochie no mo Kemo Sabe..

http://www.tenan.vuurwerk.nl/reports/cardinal/anteat.jpg

Them mo fo's are on the endangered species list... that is.. except my boots!!! :D

Melo
1/25/2007, 07:45 PM
When my grandmother died, I was informed that she wanted me to receive all of her jewelry. Having gone through it, I have three Engagement rings and two wedding bands. One Engagement ring of my great grandmothers, one engagement ring that my grandfather gave to grandma the first time, and a bigger diamond bought later on in life, on a spur-of-the-moment type thing, re-newing of vows, whatever. Im not clear on the story.

The idea was presented to me that I could use those diamonds, if I wanted to, to make one ring, with three stones. I dont know. Or maybe use only two of them so the third one can be one bought by whoever THE guy is. It seems rather dishonorable to use my great grandmas and grandmas rings in that manner. *shrug*

Personally... finding the right guy who is going to listen to me b**ch for the rest of his life is an important thing to me. He can wrap a rubber band around my finger, for all I care. Ive also never been a big person for jewelry, so its kind of whatever, with me. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future. Ive just never been material enough for that sort of stuff. I'd rather be shown that the guy loves me, rather than look at a ring and assume it.

Stoop Dawg
1/26/2007, 12:08 PM
Can you enlighten me? I'd appreciate it. Who said (or implied) "make momma happy no matter what the cost"?

That's pretty much what I thought.

You've provided enough fodder in this thread alone for me to make assinine exaggerations about you then blow your "hillbilly logic" to pieces. But I'm confident enough in my opinions to not have to do that.