PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I just missed the news...

dougsooner
1/24/2007, 12:27 PM
But, when the Dallas Cowboys head coaching job came open, and if I'm not mistaken, Dallas is still in texass, why did everyone jump right on the Stoops to be the head coach band wagon and Mack Brown's name was never brought up?? He's is supposed to be such a great coach and he IS right there in texass why wasn't he even thought of??? Interesting....

RacerX
1/24/2007, 12:40 PM
Stoops=Coach
Mack=Administrator

SoonerTerry
1/24/2007, 01:33 PM
Stoops=Coach
Mack=Adgoonistrator

Fixed:D

mxATVracer10
1/24/2007, 01:40 PM
and clapping doesn't go very far in the NFL :texan:

J-Rod12
1/24/2007, 01:55 PM
Because without Radio he still wouldn't have ever actually won anything?

Luthor
1/24/2007, 02:09 PM
Stoops=Coach
Mack=Administrator

That is closer to accurate than most believe. Stoops would be more likely to agree to running only the "on the field" stuff than Mack would and we all know that Jerry Jones would run everything if the NFL Players Association would allow it. Mack is definitely the CEO type and that don't mix with look only at me Jerry.

fadada1
1/24/2007, 02:17 PM
mack brown is a coach???

when did this happen???

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2007, 02:37 PM
But, when the Dallas Cowboys head coaching job came open, and if I'm not mistaken, Dallas is still in texass, why did everyone jump right on the Stoops to be the head coach band wagon and Mack Brown's name was never brought up?? He's is supposed to be such a great coach and he IS right there in texass why wasn't he even thought of??? Interesting....

Why limit it to Dallas? The partial list of teams that Stoops has been rumored to be a candidate for have been Ohio St, Notre Dame, Florida, Clevelend, Kansas City, Arizona and Dallas. (there may have been more). The only other job in which I have seen :mack: 's name come up was in Minnesota and that was because he is (accoring to that report) friends with the owner and that rumor was put to rest rather quickly.

:mack: is a great recruiter no doubt but there is a reason why when head coaching jobs come open that you hear some of the same names, Stoops, Saban, Carrol, Weis, Ferentz (sp) and Petrino come up. When an NFL job comes open and within minutes rumors start flying about where :mack: is, who is is rumored to be having lunch with, and ESPN goes into Carmen San Diego mode and tries to get a statement from him then he can say he has joined the club...

TexasLidig8r
1/24/2007, 03:04 PM
:mack: is a great recruiter no doubt but there is a reason why when head coaching jobs come open that you hear some of the same names, Stoops, Saban, Carrol, Weis, Ferentz (sp) and Petrino come up.

Please!!!

What the hell has Ferentz won.. that is, besides a perennial 4th place finish in the Big 10/11?

What the hell has Petrino won.. that is, besides a watered down conference title?

What the hell has Weis ever won... that is besides a highly overrated 9 games at Neutered Dame and the wheels are about to come off that team next year.

As for Stoops, Carroll and Saban.. what do they all have in common? Oh, that's right, Mack has scoreboard on all of them. (You can include Ferentz in that group.. as well as.. Miles, L.Carr and most others)

Mack's a college coach... he recruits lights out, runs a great program,. is he a brilliant Xs and Os coach? No, of course not. (see, it is ok to look objectively at your coach). He has found his place in football though. Texas very well may be the last place he coaches. Much as Paterno found his place.. and Bobby Bowden.. and Tom Osborne... and Wilkerson.. and Woody Hayes and Bo Schembeckler... and perhaps.. Stoops???

I'd rather have a coach who has found his place, loves it.. and excels at the job... then a coach who may be the flavor of the year and is bandied about like some cheap $2 hooker on dollar day at a sailor's convention.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2007, 03:11 PM
Please!!!

What the hell has Ferentz won.. that is, besides a perennial 4th place finish in the Big 10/11?

What the hell has Petrino won.. that is, besides a watered down conference title?

What the hell has Weis ever won... that is besides a highly overrated 9 games at Neutered Dame and the wheels are about to come off that team next year.

As for Stoops, Carroll and Saban.. what do they all have in common? Oh, that's right, Mack has scoreboard on all of them. (You can include Ferentz in that group.. as well as.. Miles, L.Carr and most others)

Mack's a college coach... he recruits lights out, runs a great program,. is he a brilliant Xs and Os coach? No, of course not. (see, it is ok to look objectively at your coach). He has found his place in football though. Texas very well may be the last place he coaches. Much as Paterno found his place.. and Bobby Bowden.. and Tom Osborne... and Wilkerson.. and Woody Hayes and Bo Schembeckler... and perhaps.. Stoops???

I'd rather have a coach who has found his place, loves it.. and excels at the job... then a coach who may be the flavor of the year and is bandied about like some cheap $2 hooker on dollar day at a sailor's convention.

So right now Ron Prince and Fran should be considered ahead of Mack because they have scoreboard on him? Brilliant! So Mack Brown is actually a more sought after coach by all these NFL owners but it is a big secret?

shavedmarmoset
1/24/2007, 03:13 PM

Uhm...All-time record against Bob Stoops=3-5.

And Mack does not have scoreboard over USC, Vince Young does. It was not Mack's incredible coaching that beat USC, it was Vince Young that did the job and won Mack a conference and national title for the first time in what, 23 years? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

BASSooner
1/24/2007, 03:56 PM
the university of texas has now been brought back to mediocrity. After the departure of VY, they have gone through a decline:

loss of momentum
the choke-factor is back
no more VY

and as for the season of 07 approaches, it get's even worse for them

loss of elite OL
loss of secondary and special teams(aaron ross)
loss of crowder and robinson
loss of chizik

according to past events and events that are happening, texas will return to it's old ways under the coach of mack brown. He is a great coach don't get me wrong, but his weaknesses are returning. it looks like history is repeating itself. texas getting b*tchslapped by us again is inevitable.

mojohornfan
1/24/2007, 04:04 PM
loss of chizik

Thank God.

TexasLidig8r
1/24/2007, 04:08 PM
So right now Ron Prince and Fran should be considered ahead of Mack because they have scoreboard on him? Brilliant! So Mack Brown is actually a more sought after coach by all these NFL owners but it is a big secret?

Don't be an idoit.. take off your crimson glasses read the rest of the post. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
1/24/2007, 04:10 PM
Uhm...All-time record against Bob Stoops=3-5.

And Mack does not have scoreboard over USC, Vince Young does. It was not Mack's incredible coaching that beat USC, it was Vince Young that did the job and won Mack a conference and national title for the first time in what, 23 years? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Uhm.. we didn't have Vince this past year. What happened in Dallas?

And.. it is Texas has scoreboard over USC.. and OU. The school is greater than any one player.. and any one coach.

BASSooner
1/24/2007, 04:11 PM
Thank God.
i can see that considering the outcome of this season but he was a great addition for the perfect season that you guys had back in 05.

fadada1
1/24/2007, 04:29 PM
Uhm.. we didn't have Vince this past year. What happened in Dallas?

we ran out of time and there was lots of wind.

oh, and we were 2 or 3 plays away from winning.

did i mention wind??

TexasLidig8r
1/24/2007, 05:34 PM
we ran out of time and there was lots of wind.

oh, and we were 2 or 3 plays away from winning.

did i mention wind??

You forgot the part about taking a knee numerous times and "letting me answer that for __________ " :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2007, 05:41 PM
Don't be an idoit.. take off your crimson glasses read the rest of the post. :rolleyes:

I read the whole the whole post and I'm pretty sure I got it.

My post had zero, zilch, not a thing to do with whether or not :mack: has "found his place" and plans to coach in Texas until he retires.

It had to do with NFL owners and who "they" think are the most sought after coaches. Whether or not I think :mack: is a better or worse coach than Petrino, Ferentz (who nearly beat Texas with I think you would admit vastly inferior talent) or whoever.

When Jerry Jones, Wayne Huizenga (sp) or some other sports gazillionaire go after a coach I don't think the first question that goes through their mind is "Can he recruit?" The second question he asks is not "Does he have scoreboard on any of the other candidates?". "Is he tough to pry from his current job?" is a legit question but you don't think JJ is too bashful to make a play for :mack: if he was on his short list?

I believe I would be in agreement with you that coaching the college game is different enough from the pro game that there are some coaches that may be best not even trying the pro game.

There is a reason why some of the same names come up when a job is available and it has nothing to do with crimson colored glasses.

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:42 PM
i think it's because everyone else wants Stoops to leave ;)

i still can't see all the love Ferentz gets

Octavian
1/24/2007, 05:49 PM

that guy seems to get a lot of praise....whoever he is.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2007, 05:51 PM
i think it's because everyone else wants Stoops to leave ;)

i still can't see all the love Ferentz gets

Please don't thin I have a man-crush on Ferentz or anything but:

"Kirk Ferentz is in his eighth year as head football coach at the University of Iowa. The Hawkeyes, under Ferentz, have put together the greatest four-year run in school history." From Iowa Media Guide

(That includes Hayden Fry who was a pretty good coach)

He was an assistant under Bellechik too in Cleveland/Baltimore for 6 years as well so it isn't like he doesn't have experience coaching at the pro-level.

To me having success at Iowa is about the same as being a coach at TT or Kansas. A good season is winning 7-8 games and going to a bowl. If you win 10-11 games that is a monster year. He won 38 games in a 4-year span.

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:52 PM
that guy seems to get a lot of praise....whoever he is.

he starts for the Chefs, doesn't he?

yermom
1/24/2007, 05:53 PM
Please don't thin I have a man-crush on Ferentz or anything but:

Kirk Ferentz is in his eighth year as head football coach at the University of Iowa. The Hawkeyes, under Ferentz, have put together the greatest four-year run in school history.

(That includes Hayden Fry who was a pretty good coach)

He was an assistant under Bellechik too in Cleveland/Baltimore for 6 years as well so it isn't like he doesn't have experience coaching at the pro-level.

To me having success at Iowa is about the same as being a coach at TT or Kansas. A good season is winning 7-8 games and going to a bowl. If you win 10-11 games that is a monster year. He won 38 games in a 4-year span.

your man crush is quite apparent ;)

Octavian
1/24/2007, 05:56 PM
he starts for the Chefs, doesn't he?

yep. that's him in the lower right

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4783/chefs20an.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OSUAggie
1/24/2007, 06:00 PM
JW starts?

Octavian
1/24/2007, 06:01 PM
JW starts?

try to keep up

OSUAggie
1/24/2007, 06:03 PM
try to keep up

sorry almighty lord... i'll try harder

SoonerJLB
1/24/2007, 07:22 PM
that Wilkerson guy seems to get a lot of praise....whoever he is.

I went to high school with a guy named Ricky Wilkerson in Tulsa and at OU. He was decent at inter-mural flag football but I wouldn't lump in in with Bo, Woody, Bob, Bear, Barry, JoePa, Bobby, or Pete.

goingoneight
1/24/2007, 11:33 PM

A-ahem...

1999 Bob scored 28, :mack: scored 38
2000 Bob scored 63, :mack: scored 14
2001 Bob scored 14, :mack: scored 3
2002 Bob scored 35, :mack: scored 24
2003 Bob scored 65, :mack: scored 13
2004 Bob scored 12, :mack: didn't score
2005 Bob scored 12, :mack: scored 45
2006 Bob scored 10, :mack: scored 28

28 + 63 + 14 + 35 + 65 + 12 + 12 + 10 = 239

38 + 14 + 3 + 24 + 13 + 0 + 45 + 28 = 165

You are getting awfully close, though... we'll have to smack you back down half a hundred this year.

SoonerGM
1/24/2007, 11:45 PM
And.. it is Texas has scoreboard over USC.. and OU. The school is greater than any one player.. and any one coach.

sorry, i just cant let this go. this is what you said:

you cant just say something, be proven wrong, and then say that you said something else. you are wrong about it, period.

Ash
1/25/2007, 07:12 AM
Uhm.. we didn't have Vince this past year...The school is greater than any one player.. and any one coach.

Not so sure this is the case for teh whorns. Even the whorn fans I know personally are convinced it was all VY.

kevpks
1/25/2007, 11:14 AM
Thank God.

Why in the world do horn fans think Chizik leaving is a wonderful thing. Look at the guy's track record.

Undefeated at Auburn in 2004
Undefeated at Texas in 2005

Granted that you guys lost three games, but one was to Ohio State, A&M only scored 12 points. K-State was a bad loss, but that was the worst defensive performance I saw.

stoopified
1/26/2007, 04:14 PM
Because without Radio he still wouldn't have ever actually won anything?
:D:D:D:D:D:D

shavedmarmoset
1/26/2007, 04:20 PM

If it is so great, then how did you lose to KSU and Aggie in consecutive weeks? So you beat us this year, congratulations. Thing is, Mack still crumbled in crunch time. All they had to do was win one game to clinch the south. They went 0-2. Good job, Mack.

TexasLidig8r
1/26/2007, 04:57 PM
If it is so great, then how did you lose to KSU and LSU in consecutive weeks and get humiliated the next year by USC then lose your next BCS game to a mid major conference champ? So you beat us that year, many moons ago, congratulations. Thing is, Stoops still crumbled in crunch time. All you had to do was win one game for a BCS win or MNC. You went 0-2. Good job, Stoops.

It's all a matter of perspective. :D

shavedmarmoset
1/26/2007, 05:26 PM
It's all a matter of perspective. :D

Right perspective. Let's not forget about how much OU has owned this decade. Four conference titles, 5-2 against Texas, National Title, Heisman Winner. All in all, we have the upper hand and Mack got lucky with Vince. Texas isn't bigger than any one player, if that were the case, they wouldn't have lost three games and almost lost to 6-7 Iowa.

At least we have been to more than two BCS games this century.