PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Fixers

Mjcpr
1/24/2007, 12:07 PM
Anybody have any experience with the fine folks that do windshield repairs? Seems that Mrs Mj's windshield has taken on a couple of pits recently and we're hoping to get them fixed before they get worse. I'm sure the debris on the road from the sanding isn't helping much. :mad:

BeetDigger
1/24/2007, 12:10 PM
Go buy a kit at the auto parts store. They fix pits and chips pretty well. They are about $5. I've used them for these and they worked. You can also have a repairman come by and they will fix it for $50 or so. Usually if you go to their shop they charge quite a bit less, maybe $25. They do a much better job obviously. But if the chips are minor, then the kits work fine.

Of course if you were sicem, I would just recommend the shop option.

Jerk
1/24/2007, 12:26 PM
Anybody have any experience with the fine folks that do windshield repairs? Seems that Mrs Mj's windshield has taken on a couple of pits recently and we're hoping to get them fixed before they get worse. I'm sure the debris on the road from the sanding isn't helping much. :mad:

I went to Tulsa yesterday for the first time in about 2 weeks. You know I drive a sand truck when it snows down here. Jeez, your streets look like dirt roads compared to ours. Y'all take it serious. Even the sand is different. Our's is red and fine, yours is more brown and more like pebbles.

Fugue
1/24/2007, 12:30 PM
I went to Tulsa yesterday for the first time in about 2 weeks. You know I drive a sand truck when it snows down here. Jeez, your streets look like dirt roads compared to ours. Y'all take it serious. Even the sand is different. Our's is red and fine, yours is more brown and more like windshield cracking pebbles.

:texan:

Boomer.....
1/24/2007, 12:35 PM
If it is just a pit or knick in the windshield, it will not spread or grow. You can just buy one of those cheap DIY windshield repair kits. Just make sure that you have some good sun when you do it. If there is any kind of a crack, then you should have it sealed professionally. They drill tiny holes into the crack and fill it with some kind of hardener which will stop the crack.

Mjcpr
1/24/2007, 12:36 PM
I don't doubt that's exactly what did it.

Boomer.....
1/24/2007, 12:36 PM
and yes, I know: :hot:

:rolleyes:

Mjcpr
1/24/2007, 12:37 PM
They drill tiny holes into the crack and fill it with some kind of hardener which will stop the crack.
Anyone have Howzit's number?

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2007, 02:19 PM
I had one fixed on my old truck. I think it cost $20. I would recommend doing it on a sunny day as I think the epoxy sets up by UV rays hitting it.

Another time I waited too long and I couldn't cover the crack with a dollar bill so the fine folks at Geico sent someone out to give me a new windshield. I think that was $25. They fixed it in the parking lot at work.

Mjcpr
1/24/2007, 02:27 PM
So, no names of places you people have used?

****, do I have to spell out everything I'm needing here?

:D

BeetDigger
1/24/2007, 04:02 PM
Well, the gratitude that you display should have people falling all over themselves trying to help you. :D

Mjcpr
1/24/2007, 04:08 PM
Well, the gratitude that you display should have people falling all over themselves trying to help you. :D

I called a couple of the local places and found someone.

Fugue
1/24/2007, 04:12 PM

I called a couple of the local places and found someone.

Did it really take being rejected in an SO thread before you came up with the genius idea to call around to local places that, you know, actually fix windshields? :D

Mjcpr
1/24/2007, 04:14 PM
Did it really take being rejected in an SO thread before you came up with the genius idea to call around to local places that, you know, actually fix windshields? :D

No, as my original post stated, I was looking for people that had experience with a windshield repair place.

It took being rejected on that question. Doosh.

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2007, 10:00 PM
The Glass Shop in Chickasha. I didn't think you wanted to drive across the state to get this done but give ole George a call. He's an old Army buddy of mine.

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2007, 01:58 PM
I have a friend whose parents own a windshield fixing place out in West Texas.

Boomer.....
1/25/2007, 02:11 PM
I have a friend whose parents own a windshield fixing place out in West Texas.
Very helpful information!

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2007, 02:19 PM
Very helpful information!

I thought so as well. I bet there's some spek coming my way. :texan:

opksooner
1/25/2007, 04:27 PM
If'n ya got a pit in yer line o' sight and if'n yer lookin' ta get the insurance ta pay fer a new windshield.......just give the pit a good sold THWACK with the back part of yer clenched fist and .....VOILA! .....a nicely cracked windshield that's eligible for a claim.

...........just sayin'