PDA

View Full Version : its my fault

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 10:24 AM
so i'm processing a total loss claim for one of our insured's.....she lives in the lovely town of Vidor, TX

we sent the paperwork to her overnite via Lonestar (a texas/oklahoma only service), with a return overnite airbill

what does she do with it? drops it in the US Mailbox....

and its my fault for not putting a note in the envelope telling her the US Post office "doesnt like lonestar"

sanantoniosooner
1/24/2007, 10:32 AM
thinking is hard.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 10:33 AM
i really had to bite my tongue when she said that "i know i'm not the only one who's had this problem, i'm sure other people would appreciate a note in the file"

i told her "no ma'am, you're the first"

her response "you mean i'm the only dumbass....blah blah blah'

"umm no ma'am, i'm not saying that......"

and when she asked me if i'd send her the new paperwork via fedex.......again, "how am i to be sure you wont drop the fedex envelope in the us post office mailbox?"

MamaMia
1/24/2007, 10:40 AM
My insurance carrier canceled my homeowners yesterday. I have had insurance with them since 1992. They didn't cancel our business, nor our vehicles, which is much higher than our home owners, but just the homeowners. I had 3 claims. I guess thats a no no. One claim was for theft, which was 1500.00. Another claim was carpet damage in one room, for 650.00. The last claim was for a roof that happened during the April 1st hail storm. In a couple of years my home will be paid for. I'm beginning to think that it would be cheaper to insure myself.

OUDoc
1/24/2007, 10:43 AM
Reminds me of the patient in the burn center with chemical burns on her knees from oven cleaner. She thought she should sue them, because "it says to wear gloves and not to get it on your hands, but didn't say anything about your knees." I think she was serious.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/24/2007, 11:45 AM
My insurance carrier canceled my homeowners yesterday. I have had insurance with them since 1992. They didn't cancel our business, nor our vehicles, which is much higher than our home owners, but just the homeowners. I had 3 claims. I guess thats a no no. One claim was for theft, which was 1500.00. Another claim was carpet damage in one room, for 650.00. The last claim was for a roof that happened during the April 1st hail storm. In a couple of years my home will be paid for. I'm beginning to think that it would be cheaper to insure myself.

Why the hell did you file a claim for carpet and $650? Much better to pay the money for yourself...Was this for water damage? That is the big bugaboo...The theft claim seems iffy as well. 1500, you should self insure. Has it been difficult to find new coverage?

sooner_born_1960
1/24/2007, 11:47 AM
Those all sound like legitimate losses to me.

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 11:53 AM
i really had to bite my tongue when she said that "i know i'm not the only one who's had this problem, i'm sure other people would appreciate a note in the file"

i told her "no ma'am, you're the first"

her response "you mean i'm the only dumbass....blah blah blah'

"umm no ma'am, i'm not saying that......"

and when she asked me if i'd send her the new paperwork via fedex.......again, "how am i to be sure you wont drop the fedex envelope in the us post office mailbox?"

How about telling us if the PO delivered the parcel or not. Bet they did. And if not, bet they contacted you or her about it. And you can drop a fedex in the USPS box. It'll get delivered. They're our partners.

boomersooner28
1/24/2007, 11:53 AM

That sounds about right...you pay them $16,000, they cover your $5,000 in claims, and proceed to cancel your policy. What a crock...sorry mama.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 11:55 AM
How about telling us if the PO delivered the parcel or not. Bet they did. And if not, bet they contacted you or her about it. And you can drop a fedex in the USPS box. It'll get delivered. They're our partners.

actually no it hasnt delivered, since 10 days ago

i wasnt bashing the post office dean.....but i did ask her if she went by her local PO to ask what they would do with it, she said they told her they coudlnt find it

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 11:56 AM
Those all sound like legitimate losses to me.

Since when did "legitimate" matter to insurance companies?

I simply never make claims any more. I have insurance in case the house burns down. That's it. I carry a high deductible to save a little $$, and wouldn't even think about filing a claim for anything under $10K or so. It ain't right, or fair, but that's how it is.

If I were mom, I'd be telling that company to hang it in their *** on the business and other insurance too.

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 11:57 AM
actually no it hasnt delivered, since 10 days ago

i wasnt bashing the post office dean.....but i did ask her if she went by her local PO to ask what they would do with it, she said they told her they coudlnt find it

Dude, I didn't say you were bashing the po. I bet you could call the PO that services your business and they'd be able to find it. Try it.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 11:57 AM
the only kind of claim i'd file is if a car crashed thru my house or it burned down

or a MAJOR flood....other than that, i think i'd eat it

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 11:59 AM
Dude, I didn't say you were bashing the po. I bet you could call the PO that services your business and they'd be able to find it. Try it.

do they even have a PO in Vidor? :)

Frozen Sooner
1/24/2007, 11:59 AM

It is always cheaper to self-insure over the long run. For some people, the long run may be hundreds of years.

Couple of questions:

Did the carrier cancel or non-renew? I realize that to the consumer there's not much difference, but to the insurer there is.

Were all three claims in a short period of time? Actuarially, someone who has three small claims in rapid succession is extremely likely to file a big claim soon. Insurance is gambling, and most companies have automatic non-renew on policies with multiple claims. Think of it as a gambler who has a long win streak then loses a couple of small pots and calls it a night to stay up.

I realize that's not a huge comfort to you, but I figured it might help you understand what the insurance company thinks about when they non-renew.

MamaMia
1/25/2007, 01:21 AM
Why the hell did you file a claim for carpet and $650? Much better to pay the money for yourself...Was this for water damage? That is the big bugaboo...The theft claim seems iffy as well. 1500, you should self insure. Has it been difficult to find new coverage? That isn't what we filed the claim for. Thats what they paid after we paid the deductible. I'll have you know that our agent knows good and well that our claims are honest. The cancellation didn't come from him. It was from the main office.

In answer to your question, I filed the carpet claim over a year ago because we have been paying alot of money to be insured in case something like that happened. Our deductible is $500.00. To replace the damaged carpet it would have cost us $1150.00, even though I got ceramic tile instead.

In reference to the theft, it happened in Dallas Texas about 5 years ago. We were at the Red River shootout. We parked in a paid parking lot. Someone broke the window and stole everything out of the SUV, even the sunglass visor clip. There was a witness who called the police, but they never came. They told us they were too busy. The insurance agent said that we had to file the stolen property on our homeowners for some reason. We didn't file on the window because it cost less than our deductible to fix it.

The last claim was for hail damage which happened on April 1st. The whole town had hail damage. Travelers insurance called us today. I guess they have a list of people who get canceled. My husband went to a place this afternoon who has alot of companies they deal with.

By the way. What was that on the news today about State Farm being made to pay claims they were trying to beat people out of? I only heard the tail end of the story.

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2007, 01:23 AM
The personal property inside your auto is covered under homeowner's insurance rather than auto insurance. The ISO auto policies all exclude theft or damage to pretty much anything that isn't nailed down to the car.

MamaMia
1/25/2007, 01:42 AM
It is always cheaper to self-insure over the long run. For some people, the long run may be hundreds of years.

Couple of questions:

Did the carrier cancel or non-renew? I realize that to the consumer there's not much difference, but to the insurer there is.

Were all three claims in a short period of time? Actuarially, someone who has three small claims in rapid succession is extremely likely to file a big claim soon. Insurance is gambling, and most companies have automatic non-renew on policies with multiple claims. Think of it as a gambler who has a long win streak then loses a couple of small pots and calls it a night to stay up.

I realize that's not a huge comfort to you, but I figured it might help you understand what the insurance company thinks about when they non-renew.You're right. I just looked at the letter again. They said "Thanks for considering us"...blah, blah, blah... but they would not be renewing. The first claim we ever filed on anything happened in October of 2002. We have never filed, nor had any claims filed against us since a fender bender that was back in 1986. We only had the vehicles with State Farm at that time. The second claim for the carpet was a little over a year ago, and the hail damage was last April 1st.

Our whole family has State Farm on everything. After what happened to us, they're all switching.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/25/2007, 11:35 AM

Dean...perhaps off topic. But the real problem I have with USPS is the "Priority Mail" deal. They make people think it is overnight and people send it thinking they are getting UPS or FedEx type service and they aren't.

My MIL, did this with a prescription, they told her it would be dilivered the next day and 3 days later it was delivered - instead of $15, she could have spent $.37 and it would have gotten there at the same time.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/25/2007, 11:40 AM
That isn't what we filed the claim for. Thats what they paid after we paid the deductible. I'll have you know that our agent knows good and well that our claims are honest. The cancellation didn't come from him. It was from the main office.

In answer to your question, I filed the carpet claim over a year ago because we have been paying alot of money to be insured in case something like that happened. Our deductible is $500.00. To replace the damaged carpet it would have cost us $1150.00, even though I got ceramic tile instead.

In reference to the theft, it happened in Dallas Texas about 5 years ago. We were at the Red River shootout. We parked in a paid parking lot. Someone broke the window and stole everything out of the SUV, even the sunglass visor clip. There was a witness who called the police, but they never came. They told us they were too busy. The insurance agent said that we had to file the stolen property on our homeowners for some reason. We didn't file on the window because it cost less than our deductible to fix it.

The last claim was for hail damage which happened on April 1st. The whole town had hail damage. Travelers insurance called us today. I guess they have a list of people who get canceled. My husband went to a place this afternoon who has alot of companies they deal with.

By the way. What was that on the news today about State Farm being made to pay claims they were trying to beat people out of? I only heard the tail end of the story.

Given the time frame, it seems as if the 5 years deal may be the issue ana a "history of claims". But one thing people don't know is they track claims just like debt and people get a score similar to FICO. They also look hard at water damage claims, I don't know how your carpet was damaged. Like Dean, I withhold claims unless it is a major loss. Sad, but that is the way it seems today. Not like the old days when you could file for issues like you did.

I don't know the State Farm deal - unless it was in Mississippi and they lost a lawsuit and settled with Mississippi to pay Hurricane related claims they were trying to not pay. They were argueing the damage was from storm surge and not wind and therefore not paying. Bunch of crock IMO.

Sooner_Bob
1/25/2007, 01:49 PM
what's this insurance you speak of?