PDA

View Full Version : You have got to be ****ing kidding me.

Vaevictis
1/23/2007, 09:26 PM
http://baltimorechronicle.com/2007/011907Parry.shtml

“There is no expressed grant of habeas in the Constitution; there’s a prohibition against taking it away,” Gonzales said.

Gonzales’s remark left Specter, the committee’s ranking Republican, stammering.

“Wait a minute,” Specter interjected. “The Constitution says you can’t take it away except in case of rebellion or invasion. Doesn’t that mean you have the right of habeas corpus unless there’s a rebellion or invasion?”

Gonzales continued, “The Constitution doesn’t say every individual in the United States or citizen is hereby granted or assured the right of habeas corpus. It doesn’t say that. It simply says the right shall not be suspended” except in cases of rebellion or invasion.”

How anyone can support these guys and call themselves a "conservative" is beyond me.

Rogue
1/23/2007, 09:29 PM
Nothing "simple" about it, 'Berto.

Oldnslo
1/23/2007, 09:30 PM
No. Wait.

I'm standing on my head, reading it sideways, and it still doesn't make sense.

I'll try backflips.

Jerk
1/23/2007, 09:33 PM
We're from the government, we're here to help you.

jeremy885
1/24/2007, 01:01 PM
I think it's related to this piece of the article

"Gonzales’s Jan. 18 statement suggests that he is still seeking reasons to make habeas corpus optional, subordinate to President George W. Bush’s executive powers that Bush’s neoconservative legal advisers claim are virtually unlimited during “a time of war,” even one as vaguely defined as the “war on terror” which may last forever.

In the final weeks of the Republican-controlled Congress, the Bush administration pushed through the Military Commissions Act of 2006 that effectively eliminated habeas corpus for non-citizens, including legal resident aliens.

Under the new law, Bush can declare any non-citizen an “unlawful enemy combatant” and put the person into a system of military tribunals that give defendants only limited rights. Critics have called the tribunals “kangaroo courts” because the rules are heavily weighted in favor of the prosecution.

Some language in the new law also suggests that “any person,” presumably including American citizens, could be swept up into indefinite detention if they are suspected of having aided and abetted terrorists. "

The non-citizen part I can agree with "in theory but who knows what would happen in practice"; but not with the final paragraph regarding the indefinite detention of American citizens.

yermom
1/24/2007, 01:08 PM
I think it's related to this piece of the article

"Gonzales’s Jan. 18 statement suggests that he is still seeking reasons to make habeas corpus optional, subordinate to President George W. Bush’s executive powers that Bush’s neoconservative legal advisers claim are virtually unlimited during “a time of war,” even one as vaguely defined as the “war on terror” which may last forever.

In the final weeks of the Republican-controlled Congress, the Bush administration pushed through the Military Commissions Act of 2006 that effectively eliminated habeas corpus for non-citizens, including legal resident aliens.

Under the new law, Bush can declare any non-citizen an “unlawful enemy combatant” and put the person into a system of military tribunals that give defendants only limited rights. Critics have called the tribunals “kangaroo courts” because the rules are heavily weighted in favor of the prosecution.

Some language in the new law also suggests that “any person,” presumably including American citizens, could be swept up into indefinite detention if they are suspected of having aided and abetted terrorists. "

The non-citizen part I can agree with "in theory but who knows what would happen in practice"; but not with the final paragraph regarding the indefinite detention of American citizens.

this was why i was never cool with the way they did Gitmo

RacerX
1/24/2007, 01:14 PM
You're worried someone is going to shave your head.

dolemitesooner
1/24/2007, 01:34 PM
i WISH SOMEONE WOULD SHAVE MY HEAD...MY **** iS GETTING LONG

yermom
1/24/2007, 01:35 PM
You're worried someone is going to shave your head.

i like dogs though, so at least i have that going for me

dolemitesooner
1/24/2007, 01:42 PM
STFU NOOB...GAWD i HATE THIS 60 SECOND i CANT POST HINKEY AFRO SIDE SHOW BULL****

OklahomaTuba
1/24/2007, 02:01 PM
Huh.

Well, he must be using the same logic used when seperation of Church and State was pulled out of someones arse.

Hatfield
1/24/2007, 02:50 PM
i think my brain just broke