PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Noise on CBS

SoCal
1/23/2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone here besides me, irratated by the loud base noise CBS uses when flashing their graphic leaving or entering live play to show replays during the Bears/Saints game. I hope like hell they don't do it during the Super Bowl.:mad:

RacerX
1/23/2007, 12:53 PM
Yes.

But it's not just CBS and it's not just sports.

soonerspudman
1/23/2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for getting me started on that one, yes the base is very annoying but then so is the entire "theatrics" that is football these days. Producers seemed more interested in impressing themselves and their peers with all the ways they can combine graphics and sound, couple that with endless commercial interruptions, the game itself is beginning to take a back seat. Call me old-school on this one, but I miss the days of just two guys in the booth and that's it. No roving sideline reporters, no "football central" studio crew, and mostly no graphics running all over the screen with starwars sound effects. Shut it down, shut it up, and just give me the damn game, that's the one and only reason I've tuned in. It reminds me of people talking in a movie theater, plus graphics splashing on the screen to point out that James Bond averages a 32.8% kill rate when shooting at night, but it jumps to 53.7%during daylight hours when the target is a cyborg. Crap, I just want to watch some football with no distractions.

OK2LA
1/23/2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks for getting me started on that one, yes the base is very annoying but then so is the entire "theatrics" that is football these days. Producers seemed more interested in impressing themselves and their peers with all the ways they can combine graphics and sound, couple that with endless commercial interruptions, the game itself is beginning to take a back seat. Call me old-school on this one, but I miss the days of just two guys in the booth and that's it. No roving sideline reporters, no "football central" studio crew, and mostly no graphics running all over the screen with starwars sound effects. Shut it down, shut it up, and just give me the damn game, that's the one and only reason I've tuned in. It reminds me of people talking in a movie theater, plus graphics splashing on the screen to point out that James Bond averages a 32.8% kill rate when shooting at night, but it jumps to 53.7%during daylight hours when the target is a cyborg. Crap, I just want to watch some football with no distractions.

you're old-school on this one

soonerspudman
1/23/2007, 02:32 PM
you're old-school on this one

Okay, fine then. Do you like it? Let's hear another POV, I'm open, it just doesn't provide value/enhance the experience for me, just the opposite...

Ash
1/23/2007, 02:46 PM
what I don't like is that the useless stats and dancing robots have seemed to replace those things that as a fan I'd like to see on the screen consistently like down and distance, time, playclock....the score...timeouts remaining...all those trivial details...

TheUnnamedSooner
1/24/2007, 05:15 PM
I like the bass, it sounds good on my theatre system! The dancing robots can go tho

JohnnyMack
1/24/2007, 05:41 PM

I think NBC did a good job of toning it down this year. When they first started they had the analyst crew with them on site and were overproducing the crap out of the game, but as the season progressed they used less and less of the graphics and kicked the analyst team back to NYC. I think they do the best job in the biz production-wise. I think that Buck and Aikman are really good at calling games though.

batonrougesooner
1/24/2007, 06:02 PM
During the BCS fox was killing me with their useless crowd shots. I would rather see the reaction of the players on the field to a big play than the idiots in the crowd.

Mazeppa
1/25/2007, 01:39 PM

Here, Here, I've been bitching about this for years, and no one is really concerned. I knew once they stated with the scoreboard onsrcreen it was only a matter of time they'd start using that for advertising.
And Fox with those giant arrows superimposed on the screen has drove me away from football on Fox. Something I thought was impossible,and I've watched football on tv for over 40 years. I've had it.
Who do you complain to?

sjt
1/25/2007, 02:13 PM
That bass noise was bothering me so much that I eventually turned the sound off and turned on the CD player. It's errie how closely the NFC Championship game synched up with Dark Side of The Moon.

OK2LA
1/25/2007, 02:45 PM
Okay, fine then. Do you like it? Let's hear another POV, I'm open, it just doesn't provide value/enhance the experience for me, just the opposite...

easy pototo launcher - you asked me to call you old school.

Crucifax Autumn
1/26/2007, 12:28 AM
Seems to me with all the pay per view options out there now they could really make some money by offering games with no announcers, no flashy BS, and a very complete onscreen graphic of only relevant and timely info like down and distance, time outs, etc.

I'd buy a package like that despite all the bitching about the cable bill I'd here from my wife.

soonerspudman
1/26/2007, 01:47 PM
easy pototo launcher - you asked me to call you old school.

No potato launching intended (picture potato flying across screen during a key fourth down attempt accompanied by jet engine noises along with graphic that 68.2% of potatos are launched from Idaho in September, declining to 48.6% by December), just trying to spark some dialogue on the subject

TUSooner
1/26/2007, 02:14 PM
THANK YOU!
Spot on.
Except I like the concept of a "football central" to give scores and highlights of other games. However, it could be done with 1 or 2 people, we do NOT need a bunch of has-been jocks and between-jobs coaches shouting over each other and making inane inside jokes. I can handle sideline reporters who report on what's actually happeniong ON THE SIDELINES (Pam "Total Hawtness" Oliver & Chris Myers), but most of those binks (Suzy "Nawt Hawt" Kolber, you're the worst, and I hate your guts !!) chatter on and on about telephone calls they had with a player on Wednesday or other fluffy stuff that could have been in last week's newspaper.

Seamus
1/26/2007, 02:29 PM
That bass noise was bothering me so much that I eventually turned the sound off and turned on the CD player. It's errie how closely the NFC Championship game synched up with Dark Side of The Moon.

So, was Dorothy or the Wizard at QB?