PDA

View Full Version : So my wife is pro-wussification

Osce0la
1/23/2007, 11:46 AM
there was a story on the news last night about people wanting to make it illegal to spank your child in YOUR OWN HOME...I heard this and couldn't believe they are actually wanting to make this a law. I look at my wife and say:

me: This is getting rediculous, we are turning into the biggest bunch of wusses in the world.

Wife (doesn't believe in spanking children): why?

me: so now they want to tell us how we can and can't punish our kids. When I was little, if I got in trouble, I would get spanked for it - my parents had no problem with pulling out the belt and tearing my a** up if I had done something I knew I wasn't supposed to do...

wife: Well I don't think you have to spank a child to get the point across to them. I never had to be spanked as a child, it was enough for me just getting yelled at.

me: Different kids have to be handled different ways - if I had been yelled at it wouldn't have made a bit of difference to me. The way I see it is you know your child, and if you know yelling at them or putting them in "time out" won't cut it - spank them. My God, kids can't even play tag, red rover, dodge ball, or even touch football at school anymore...

wife: You can break your arm playing red rover.

me: SO? A broken arm won't kill you - I broke my arm falling out of a swing when I was little...

wife: That's different

me: no it isn't. A kid can break their arm or leg doing a lot of things. I guess we should just let our kids sit in front of the TV and get fat because we're too afraid they might get hurt doing anything else...

wife: but when you're playing red rover you have to run straight into other kids arms - it is completely different.

me: I know how you play red rover - and I still think it is stupid that our kids can't play games like that and tag or even touch football because people are afraid of them getting hurt...

I thought about telling her we will just forget signing up our son for football in a few years because if he can't even go to school and play touch football for free because he might get hurt there is no way I am going to sign him up and actually PAY for him to go out and risk getting hurt - but I thought better of it and just ended the conversation there...

picasso
1/23/2007, 11:47 AM
spank'em early.

your girlfriends too.

Tailwind
1/23/2007, 11:49 AM
Women! :rolleyes:

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 11:49 AM
I agree with Dean.

picasso
1/23/2007, 11:50 AM
I agree with Dean.
hold yourrrrrrrr tongue woman!!!!

Vaevictis
1/23/2007, 11:51 AM
Ask her how you handle a really young kid that is old enough to stick a knife in a wall outlet, but too young to be trusted to remember a "discussion" about it?

My mother didn't believe in corporeal punishment, but she whooped my *** for that to make damned sure I wouldn't forget it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 11:53 AM
hold yourrrrrrrr tongue woman!!!!

:D

This thread is making me feel...sassy...

Vaevictis
1/23/2007, 11:54 AM
Get back to your horsepig assassination project; that is much more important than anything you could possibly have to say in this thread ;)

Osce0la
1/23/2007, 11:55 AM
heh

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 11:55 AM
Hmmm, killing teh horsepigs or making all you boys a sammich...

Lemme see...

BigRedJed
1/23/2007, 11:56 AM

Spanking makes me feel...sassy...
Fixed

picasso
1/23/2007, 11:57 AM
and fix me a turkey pot pie!

Vaevictis
1/23/2007, 11:57 AM
Hmmm, killing teh horsepigs or making all you boys a sammich...

Sammiches are good. But dead horsepigs are better.

BigRedJed
1/23/2007, 11:58 AM
I agree!

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 11:59 AM
Mmm, horsepig sammiches...

Beef
1/23/2007, 12:00 PM
McHorserib

skycat
1/23/2007, 12:01 PM
Gamey

fadada1
1/23/2007, 12:24 PM
i agree.

life is like dodgeball. you either step up and play, take a chance at catching the bullies rocket-armed rifle ball. maybe you get popped in the nose, but the next time, you learn to catch the ball differently. maybe you drop it again... but the next time, you catch it and put him in his place. or, maybe you sit up against the wall, not evern running out to pick up a stray ball and take a chance at throwing it. maybe you spend the entire game not getting hit, or throwing a ball, or participating. maybe you even make it to the end. but what have you learned??? maybe you sit up against the wall, take a pounding early, and watch from the sidelines, only to wonder about all the fun everyone else is having.

it's life people. step up and play - or - stick to the wall and get clobbered.

picasso
1/23/2007, 12:30 PM
i agree.

life is like dodgeball. you either step up and play, take a chance at catching the bullies rocket-armed rifle ball. maybe you get popped in the nose, but the next time, you learn to catch the ball differently. maybe you drop it again... but the next time, you catch it and put him in his place. or, maybe you sit up against the wall, not evern running out to pick up a stray ball and take a chance at throwing it. maybe you spend the entire game not getting hit, or throwing a ball, or participating. maybe you even make it to the end. but what have you learned??? maybe you sit up against the wall, take a pounding early, and watch from the sidelines, only to wonder about all the fun everyone else is having.

it's life people. step up and play - or - stick to the wall and get clobbered.
and sometimes you get to throttle the goofy nerdy kid or the bully with bad breath.

fadada1
1/23/2007, 12:32 PM
and sometimes you get to throttle the goofy nerdy kid or the bully with bad breath.
once again, one of the sweet pleasures of life.:D

frankensooner
1/23/2007, 12:34 PM
Here in Oklahoma we can spank our younguns'. 21 O.S. § 844 & 10 O.S. § 7106!

stoopified
1/23/2007, 12:38 PM
Mmm, horsepig sammiches...Now that is just twisted.

BigRedJed
1/23/2007, 12:46 PM
Mmm, horsepig sammiches...
Well, we know one thing... ...they wouldn't be tough!

crawfish
1/23/2007, 01:04 PM
Discipline at home given in love: good
Discipline at home without love: not so good.

It's not rocket science. Kids from loving homes can survive the occasional overspanking, even thrive. Nonviolent discipline in a cold, unloving home screws the kid up.

crawfish
1/23/2007, 01:05 PM
Now that is just twisted.

I prefer my pork pulled.

Feel free to swing at the slow ball...

yermom
1/23/2007, 01:14 PM
Discipline at home given in love: good
Discipline at home without love: not so good.

It's not rocket science. Kids from loving homes can survive the occasional overspanking, even thrive. Nonviolent discipline in a cold, unloving home screws the kid up.

man, i have no idea what i'll do with my kids (assuming i have some one day)... all spanking did with me was make me not want to get caught, well that and hate almost any teacher or authority figure for a long time

i'm not sure much of anything would have worked with me though :O

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2007, 01:37 PM
Yet another glorious step forward in our march towards The Nanny State.

yermom
1/23/2007, 01:38 PM
you know it's bad when i agree with Tuba :D

Sooner_Bob
1/23/2007, 01:55 PM
I prefer my pork pulled.

:les: What about the kittens?!!

Beef
1/23/2007, 02:17 PM
Yet another glorious step forward in our march towards The Nanny State.
Is it a hawt nanny or the fat English nanny?

Xstnlsooner
1/23/2007, 02:23 PM

This thread is making me feel...sassy...

When do you NOT feel...sassy?? :P

C&CDean
1/23/2007, 02:40 PM
It's funny, a situation arose this weekend that fits well in this thread.

My grandson, who is about 18 months now, was out over the weekend. Cute as a button, great eater, well-behaved little tyke. Most of the time.

I bought Mrs. Dean a fireplace insert this year. The stove was completely full of wood and we had a very hot fire going. The little guy kept challenging me when I'd say "no Brayden, that's hot" by acting like he was gonna touch the stove. Of course my son (who's a junior me) said "just let him touch it once so he'll learn." Of course me (who must be getting soft) said "yeah, that usually works, but that stove is so hot it'd leave permanent handprints where he burned himself and I really don't wanna be reminded of the trip to the emergency room if he does touch that thing."

A few minutes go by and sure enough, Brayden goes back up to the stove with his hand out, jacking with me. I popped the livin' dog**** outta his little hand. One of those pops where it sounds like a rifle shot. His face went white/blank, and he went to bawling like he had been killed. I said "grandpa told you no boy. No means no." And I went back over to the chair and sat down.

A couple minutes later I've got the cutest little guy weaseling his way up onto my lap for some grandpa lovin'. He just cuddled up and hugged on my neck. It was very peaceful and rewarding.

Kids need discipline. They're begging for it. And they thank you for it deeply. As Crawfish said, you whip them with love in your heart.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 02:42 PM
Pawpaw's a softie...

C&CDean
1/23/2007, 03:03 PM
I got your pawpaw...

Boarder
1/23/2007, 03:04 PM
Pawpaw's a softie...

I popped the livin' dog**** outta his little hand. One of those pops where it sounds like a rifle shot.

Really?

When spanking is outlawed only outlaws will spank.

Strangely, I don't have to spank very much. Usually one or twice to get the point across that I will do it is enough to last.

BigRedJed
1/23/2007, 03:07 PM
Dean sounds like he's lookin' to dish out a different kind of grandpa lovin'.

C&CDean
1/23/2007, 03:07 PM
Really?

When spanking is outlawed only outlaws will spank.

Strangely, I don't have to spank very much. Usually one or twice to get the point across that I will do it is enough to last.

Yup. I haven't spanked one of the younger kids in years. They learned watching the older ones, and they know ABSOLUTELY that if they push it, they will get dinged. People who threaten - but don't follow through - are everywhere out there. Spend 5 minutes paying attention in a restaurant or in line at the Walmart and you'll see.

Boarder
1/23/2007, 03:10 PM
People who threaten - but don't follow through - are everywhere out there.

I feel like my eyes are turning green ala David Banner when I see that. People going, "One..........................two.................. ..now I'm serious............come on, let's not do that...............two..........................tw o............"

I just want to go all Pulp Fiction and scream, "THREE! THREE! WHIP THIER BUTT! THREE MOTHERSCRATCHER! THREE!"

I get mad just typing that.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 03:11 PM
Really?

Yeah.

I mean, he could have pulled his head off and threw it in the fire and said 'SEE, BOY!?!?!? HOT AIN'T IT??? SEE WHY YOU'D BETTER LISTEN TO PAWPAW!?!?!?'.

:kelvin:

C&CDean
1/23/2007, 03:15 PM
I feel like my eyes are turning green ala David Banner when I see that. People going, "One..........................two.................. ..now I'm serious............come on, let's not do that...............two..........................tw o............"

I just want to go all Pulp Fiction and scream, "THREE! THREE! WHIP THIER BUTT! THREE MOTHERSCRATCHER! THREE!"

I get mad just typing that.

Heh. And when I see a kid actually hit/kick their mom I can't hold it back. My wife is always trying to pull me away cause I go "you're ****ing kidding me, right? Did you see that? That kid just kicked his own momma? My dad would have ripped my leg off and beat me to death with the stump. Can you believe parents today? No wonder America is going to hell in a handbasket. We've got muslim terrorists and pantywaist parents. I ain't sure what's worse. That kid will be kicking like that when he's gettin' punked in prison some day. I think I'm gonna puke."

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 03:15 PM
And I can count on one hand the number of whippins I got when I was a kid.

We knew we'd get the hammah if we didn't do what our parents said. Without...a...doubt. Call it fear...call it repsect...call it whatever you want to - if they said it...you'd better do it.

Mjcpr
1/23/2007, 03:17 PM
I'd have whooped y'alls asses for pulling that sock out of that dog's butt.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 03:20 PM
I'd have whooped y'alls asses for pulling that sock out of that dog's butt.

Oh, I only got a handful of whippins...

...but I deserved MANY more than that.

BigRedJed
1/23/2007, 03:21 PM
I got spanked by my mom fairly often (not that often, just enought that I can't remember a number). I got spanked by my dad once. Once. With his bare hand. On my bare ***. I didn't ever put myself at risk for that one again. My mom decided to switch to groundings as I got older. She tried to spank me when I was a little too old for it. She was whaling away with a belt (she's kindof small), and I turned around and grinned. Worst mistake ever. She gave me a SEVERE grounding to top off the spanking, and then switched to rough groundings after that.

frankensooner
1/23/2007, 03:24 PM
If'n my spawn start acting up in public, resturants especially, I just tell them, "do you want to go out to the van?" That usually works, although I have to follow through more with the boy than I would like. He always comes back in acting much better, and the folks around us usually smile when they see his red, tear-filled face. Nobody ever comes up and questions my parenting. Counting to three don't mean spit if you don't actually take them out and warm their hineys.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 03:31 PM
I watched a woman put a BEATDOWN on her kid at the grocery store a few years ago.

Kis was totally out of control. Mouthing, knocking stuff off the shelves and all kinds of stuff. He was having an all-out fit because she wouldn't buy the cereal he wanted.

She jerked him up by the armpit and whipped his ever-lovin' a**. I mean, WELL. Right there in the middle of a crowded Crest Foods.

It made my heart warm.

soonersweetie
1/23/2007, 03:35 PM
We have raised our two kids to understand that no means no, that tantrums are not tolerated and not to ever, ever disrespect us.

In turn, we are now able to take our kids anywhere, restaurants, movies, theater, even ball games with no problem whatsoever. In fact I find it quite humorous when our kids point out other kids acting up. They roll their eyes and just say, I can't believe they act like that. We actually have little adults for children in a lot of ways.

Regarding ballgames, one of my biggest pet peeves are families who will go to a game and the wife/kids think it's a big social talk hour. I don't know how many times I've told people to please not interrupt me, I'm watching the game.

Also, if I see small children acting up in public with their parents present, I have no qualms about raising my voice, so that the parents can hear, and saying "You can't blame the children at that age, if the parents haven't taught them any manners/respect, they don't know any better." I don't care if I make them mad or not.

BigRedJed
1/23/2007, 03:36 PM
I watched a woman put a BEATDOWN on her kid at the grocery store a few years ago.

Kis was totally out of control. Mouthing, knocking stuff off the shelves and all kinds of stuff. He was having an all-out fit because she wouldn't buy the cereal he wanted.

She jerked him up my the armpit and whipped his ever-lovin' a**. I mean, WELL. Right there in the middle of a crowded Crest Foods.

It made my heart warm.
Yeah, I don't agree with doing it in public, though. I know it's a huge inconvenience for the parents, but I think the parent should stop what they're doing, take them to the car or a restroom, private area, etc. and spank there. Then the threat of going to the car, or whatever, becomes the deterrant. My parents both tell me that I only acted up in a store once or maybe twice, but I remember it well. My mom stopped shopping, told a store employee that she wasn't going to be able to finish and handed him the cart, and took me out to the car where she proceeded to give me whatfor. After that, all she had to do was ask "do you want to go to the car?" and I piped right down.

TheLurker
1/23/2007, 03:42 PM
Funny commercial for preemptive tantrum control.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z07vk78H46w

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/23/2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I don't agree with doing it in public, though. I know it's a huge inconvenience for the parents, but I think the parent should stop what they're doing, take them to the car or a restroom, private area, etc. and spank there. Then the threat of going to the car, or whatever, becomes the deterrant. My parents both tell me that I only acted up in a store once or maybe twice, but I remember it well. My mom stopped shopping, told a store employee that she wasn't going to be able to finish and handed him the cart, and took me out to the car where she proceeded to give me whatfor. After that, all she had to do was ask "do you want to go to the car?" and I piped right down.

I think the public humiliation is bad, too.

But I really think this woman just lost it. I don't even think she realized anyone was even around.

That kid was a turd deluxe. With peppers. :mack:

bluedogok
1/23/2007, 05:40 PM
Spend 5 minutes paying attention in a restaurant or in line at the Walmart and you'll see.That reminds me of the Rodney Carrington bit on Wal-Mart. He said there is always a kid gettin' whupped at Wal-Mart, it is like the kid does something bad and it's "git in the car, we're goin' to Wal-Mart" and even the greeter wants to giv'em a whuppin'.

MiccoMacey
1/23/2007, 05:57 PM
The problem with spanking is that for some parents it is their sole means of control/discipline. Usually it's out of anger or embarrassment more than to teach the child a lesson. For these parents, I could almost agree with that type of law. However, it's already in existance...it's called child abuse.

Spanking is a viable option...as long as it's one of the last options used. Unfortunately there are some parents who spank first. Where do you go from there if the kids still act up?

If you do spank your child, I don't believe you should ever spank them more than once. And that's because I believe you should spank them hard enough on that one contact that (s)he'll want to listen to you.

Legal edit: The above mentioned spanking shall occur without any damage to body, mind, or spirit, and within all scopes and guidelines of local and state statutes.

BoogercountySooner
1/23/2007, 06:49 PM
Funny story about an almost spanking. Many moons ago when my eldest son was about 4 years old we were at my inlaws house. The son was layin on the floor watching TV. The FIL keeps sayin things to the son and the son doesn't answer. My FIL looks at me and say's you need to get that boy's hearing checked he can't hear me. I say sure he can watch this. I then unbuckle my belt and pull it through the loops and it makes that sound that all kids know. My son wheels around and say's what did I do Dad. I then look at the FIL and say see his hearing is fine.:)