PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand OSU fans, please help me understand

The_Red_Patriot
1/23/2007, 09:48 AM
why they think they have always dominated us in basketball?

We own the series and have won more big 12 titles and played as well as they have in the ncaa tourney.

I just dont get it.

SoonerStormchaser
1/23/2007, 09:59 AM
OU Men loves da wimmen.

Aggie Men loves da sheep!

That is all.

Sooner13
1/23/2007, 10:04 AM
not much makes sense to them, Stillwater is the only place where "orange" is a 2 syllable word ora.................nge.........pow............... ..er

OUmillenium
1/23/2007, 10:05 AM
They take pride in men rolling around on the floor with other men.

I wear the required uniform

...yeah, tights.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/23/2007, 10:09 AM

We own the series and have won more big 12 titles and played as well as they have in the ncaa tourney.

I just dont get it.

I live in Mo but the 3-4 OSU fans I know here know the history pretty well and one a while back made the comment that we had owned them for years maybe they can get us back for a few so I don't know that the majority of OSU fans think that way. I'm sure that some of the ones that do are the same homers that think OU-OSU is as big a rivalry in football as OU-Tex.

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 10:41 AM

I just dont get it.

You haven't played as well in the NCAA Tourney b/c we have 2 national championships and you have 0. Texas leads the overall series against you in football, but you have a better program than Texas. This is a lot like that. OSU has a better basketball program than OU. 2 titles, 2 legendary coaches, blah blah blah

Just as a lot of OU fans overlook their basketball program, OSU fans really overlook OU's basketball program. Sure, they've won a bunch of games, conference championships, stuff like that... But a lot of OU fans don't take pride or even care about their basketball program, therefore OSU fans don't know about it.

stoopified
1/23/2007, 10:55 AM
Just as a lot of OU fans overlook their basketball program, OSU fans really overlook OU's basketball program. Sure, they've won a bunch of games, conference championships, stuff like that... But a lot of OU fans don't take pride or even care about their basketball program, therefore OSU fans don't know about it.[/QUOTE]Prior to Eddie most oSu fans didn't know they STILL had a basketball team,judging from the crowds and lack of sucess between Iba and Sutton.

The_Red_Patriot
1/23/2007, 11:15 AM
You haven't played as well in the NCAA Tourney b/c we have 2 national championships and you have 0. Texas leads the overall series against you in football, but you have a better program than Texas. This is a lot like that. OSU has a better basketball program than OU. 2 titles, 2 legendary coaches, blah blah blah

Just as a lot of OU fans overlook their basketball program, OSU fans really overlook OU's basketball program. Sure, they've won a bunch of games, conference championships, stuff like that... But a lot of OU fans don't take pride or even care about their basketball program, therefore OSU fans don't know about it.

I know you have to NTs but that was 60 years ago. Im taking recent as in the past 20-30 years.

Not 60

It has been pretty even with OU winning more Conference titles

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/23/2007, 11:18 AM

The NC's aren't totally irrelevant but they aren't much of a factor. The titles were in 45-46. That would be like saying Illinois has a better football history than Wisconsin because Illinois had a couple NCs in the 1920's, never mind the head-to-head history since. OU's oldest football championship came since OSU's last hoops title and that was a long time ago. OU football would not be considered a top program all-time if the last NC was in the 50's. OU would be Minnesota, Texas A&M or Arkansas and wouldn't be considered to be a more successful program overall than Texas even if OU had the same # of titles.

I'm not saying the whole history doesn't count but while the last 30 years haven't been totally dominated by OU, OU has clearly had the upper hand.

Agree entirely that OU fans gives hoops second class status but while fan support is important what happens as far as the results of the games are more important. When the University of Miami was beating teams in front of a half filled stadium in the 1980's it didn't make their wins or championships any less legit.

If the OU-OSU series is measured in home attendance or how important the game appears to be to the home fans than OSU looks to be at least OU's equal. If it is measured based historically based on what has been done on the court and postseason success in the last half-century then OU has a clear edge although not an overwhelming one.

Jimminy Crimson
1/23/2007, 11:23 AM
OSU has a better basketball program than OU. 2 titles, 2 legendary coaches, blah blah blah

Who else are you talking about besides Iba? Leonard Hamilton? :confused:

kevpks
1/23/2007, 11:27 AM
Sutton is infamous, not famous, in some parts of the country.

Sooner98
1/23/2007, 01:25 PM

I just dont get it.

The day I stopped trying to understand OSU fans was the happiest and most liberating day of my life.

Sooner_Bob
1/23/2007, 01:46 PM
I'll give you Mr. Iba as legendary . . . Eddie is very close, HOF maybe, but I'm not so sure you could call him legendary in the same sense as Mr. Iba.

Eddie has a ton of wins and it would've been nice to see him get 800 and go into the HOF. For whatever reason I think it'll be a while before the folks put him in there.

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 01:50 PM
Who else are you talking about besides Iba? Leonard Hamilton? :confused:

Paul Hansen, obviously.

The NC's aren't totally irrelevant but they aren't much of a factor. The titles were in 45-46. That would be like saying Illinois has a better football history than Wisconsin because Illinois had a couple NCs in the 1920's, never mind the head-to-head history since. OU's oldest football championship came since OSU's last hoops title and that was a long time ago. OU football would not be considered a top program all-time if the last NC was in the 50's. OU would be Minnesota, Texas A&M or Arkansas and wouldn't be considered to be a more successful program overall than Texas even if OU had the same # of titles.

I agree with that, for the most part. However, when comparing the two basketball programs, it is definitely relevant. You don't discount Wilkinson's/OU's success in the 50's because "that was a long time ago," because no matter when it occured it was very remarkable. OSU's status under Iba was as one of the first giants of college hoops cannot be ignored.

However, the fact that we haven't been able to win any other titles (especially with several trips to the Final 4) since we were the first school to go back-to-back is significant as well. To really establish ourselves as a premier modern program, another nat'l title is necessary. As of now, we're still on the cusp of being a consistent top-10 program, I believe.

bri
1/23/2007, 01:55 PM
Oklahoma State University has zero national basketball titles. Oklahoma A&M has 2.

aggy talking up the "elite status" of their program is like Yale talking football smack.

Dio
1/23/2007, 02:01 PM
No, you don't discount the long-ago Wilkinson era because it was the beginning, not the entirety, of our tradition.

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 02:34 PM
Oklahoma State University has zero national basketball titles. Oklahoma A&M has 2.

aggy talking up the "elite status" of their program is like Yale talking football smack.

All right... It's the same place, different name. Kinda like Duke was previously Trinity... So what?

I was saying that to achieve elite status we have to win another title. That is, hypothetically speaking, if we were to win the title this year, we would then have 3 nat'l titles (tied with Duke for 5th all-time, behind Indiana, Carolina, Kentucky and UCLA) and 7 Final 4 appearances (in 4 different decades), which is top-10 all time. I would think that that would be somewhat elite. Again, I'm not saying we're elite right now.

crawfish
1/23/2007, 02:50 PM
As much as OSU fans don't want to admit it, OU & OSU basketball are essentially equal. Their two NC's are offset by our series record and their relative age. I'd guess we have pretty close to the same AA's and conference championships.

fwsooner22
1/23/2007, 02:52 PM
All right... It's the same place, different name. Kinda like Duke was previously Trinity... So what?

I was saying that to achieve elite status we have to win another title. That is, hypothetically speaking, if we were to win the title this year, we would then have 3 nat'l titles (tied with Duke for 5th all-time, behind Indiana, Carolina, Kentucky and UCLA) and 7 Final 4 appearances (in 4 different decades), which is top-10 all time. I would think that that would be somewhat elite. Again, I'm not saying we're elite right now.

There is no doubt that OSU has a good basketball program. However,

Big XII Regular Season Champs

Kansas 4
Texass 2
ISU 2
OU 1
OSU 1

Big XII Tourney Champs

KS 4
OSU 2
OU 3
ISU 1

So, OSU is one of the 5 best in its conference not much more than that.

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 04:10 PM
As much as OSU fans don't want to admit it, OU & OSU basketball are essentially equal. Their two NC's are offset by our series record and their relative age. I'd guess we have pretty close to the same AA's and conference championships.

6 consensus AA's for OU
5 for OSU

20 Conference Championships (Regular season or tourney or both) for OU
21 for OSU

Pretty much even... (Other than 2 titles)

I don't have any problem admitting that OU has wonderful basketball tradition. That's why I don't understand the apathy for the men's program while there is unbelievable support for the women's program. Hopefully that will cease, but I don't know how it even happened, so I don't know what ends it. I guess winning helps, but even when they were winning the support hasn't been reflective of the team's success for the past 5-10 years.

bri
1/23/2007, 04:19 PM
Calvinball left a pretty bad taste in our mouths, and it'll take some doing to rebuild interest. But even at our peak, basketball will always fall into second place behind football here.

PrideTrombone
1/23/2007, 04:59 PM
6 consensus AA's for OU
5 for OSU

21 for OSU

I don't have any problem admitting that OU has wonderful basketball tradition. That's why I don't understand the apathy for the men's program while there is unbelievable support for the women's program. Hopefully that will cease, but I don't know how it even happened, so I don't know what ends it. I guess winning helps, but even when they were winning the support hasn't been reflective of the team's success for the past 5-10 years.

Billy Tubbs made a really good point on the radio yesterday about the attitude surrounding basketball in much of Oklahoma and Texas. he said that to most people, you not only have to win, but win big, and have a charismatic star that people wanted to see. He said that he actually got bigger and better crowds during Wayman Tisdale's playing days, even though they made the Final Four after Wayman left. Not sure why the prevalent attitude is that way, but I think he's onto something.

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 05:09 PM
nm

GoState
1/23/2007, 05:28 PM
Billy Tubbs made a really good point on the radio yesterday about the attitude surrounding basketball in much of Oklahoma and Texas. he said that to most people, you not only have to win, but win big, and have a charismatic star that people wanted to see. He said that he actually got bigger and better crowds during Wayman Tisdale's playing days, even though they made the Final Four after Wayman left. Not sure why the prevalent attitude is that way, but I think he's onto something.

That is the truth. "You'd rather look good and lose than look bad and win." At OSU, our basketball tradition is "Iba ball". That is solid man-to-man defense and a painful ball control offense. It was ok when his teams were doing well, but his last 10 years or so weren't very good and the crowds certainly showed that. Eddie's teams usually had that good defense (sometimes great/sometimes average), but that plodding offense got a little more exciting as he let them run a bit more. People will remember Gottlieb to Mason/Price to Ere for a monster alley oop before they'll remember Janover Weatherspoon pestering an opponent into a 5 second call.

Crimsontothecore
1/23/2007, 07:39 PM
Hey OSUAggie, I'm just curious. I noticed the TV announcers mentioned the pain Sean Sutton is enduring due to a bad back. I also saw his assistants trying to hold him up during the Texas game.
My question is: Does he really have a bad back or is he using the same old excuse Eddie used to hide HIS drinking problem?? I mean, sometimes alcoholism runs in families.

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2007, 08:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/dayjavooodew/smileys/food/10_7_5.gif

:pop:

picasso
1/23/2007, 09:53 PM
oSu basketball fans are hardcore and it's impressive but the younger ones don't realize that program was in the crapper for many a year.

OU wasn't far behind Duke in the 80's and much of the 90's.

ouradu
1/23/2007, 11:34 PM
not much makes sense to them, Stillwater is the only place where "orange" is a 2 syllable word ora.................nge.........pow............... ..er
I hate to go all teacher on you and be the grammar police, but it is a two syllable word. And to make sure I wasn't crazy, I checked dictionary.com and it was confirmed: or·ange

Not to say that aggie 'don't gots no problem' with the Lord's English, but this is not one of those cases.

birddog
1/24/2007, 12:31 AM
I hate to go all teacher on you and be the grammar police, but it is a two syllable word. And to make sure I wasn't crazy, I checked dictionary.com and it was confirmed: or·ange

Not to say that aggie 'don't gots no problem' with the Lord's English, but this is not one of those cases.

good work, nancy drew!:rolleyes:

OSUAggie
1/24/2007, 10:09 AM
Hey OSUAggie, I'm just curious. I noticed the TV announcers mentioned the pain Sean Sutton is enduring due to a bad back. I also saw his assistants trying to hold him up during the Texas game.
My question is: Does he really have a bad back or is he using the same old excuse Eddie used to hide HIS drinking problem?? I mean, sometimes alcoholism runs in families.

I don't know if Sean is hiding anything. I usually blame it on my bad back whenever I'm faced, however, so it might be the case here. :rolleyes:

fwsooner22
1/24/2007, 10:34 AM
good work, nancy drew!:rolleyes:

I was wondering about that but I am too lazy to do the homework

J-Rod12
1/24/2007, 01:53 PM
Some guy on the radio last night was insisting OSU is a better job/program than Indiana in basketball.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2007, 02:52 PM
Some guy on the radio last night was insisting OSU is a better job/program than Indiana in basketball.

That guy wasn't :eddie: was he?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2007, 02:53 PM

Word is that he hurt his back while running in his wheel.

Skysooner
1/24/2007, 09:04 PM
Aggie mama say, `Foosball is the debil`

MI Sooner
1/24/2007, 09:19 PM
Sooner13 said:

Dude, "orange" is a two syllable word.

Frozen Sooner
1/24/2007, 10:17 PM
No matter what the relative tradition is, it sure would be nice if our fans supported our basketball program half as well as OSU fans did theirs.

Kray
1/24/2007, 10:45 PM
No matter what the relative tradition is, it sure would be nice if our fans supported our basketball program half as well as OSU fans did theirs.

I think this is the heart of the matter. OSU is passionate about basketball and OU isn't. Facilities don't cause this, give-a-damn does. And OSU had it, even in the Paul Hansen days.

OU can get up when they are very good, as in Tubbs' best days or 2000ish Sampson teams. Its fans show up when OSU, Texas, or Kansas come to Norman, but tend to blow off the lesser games. GIA tickets are often tough to get even against nonconference teams.

As to who has the better program, it's OSU. It's not by a mile, but it's true. Even in the last 15 years or so when the programs essentially split head-to-head wins, OSU has had better NCAA success and hasn't exited early as often as OU has or suffered the 1st and 2nd round upsets as routinely.

kevpks
1/25/2007, 12:20 AM
Sooner13 said:

Dude, "orange" is a two syllable word.

Although orange is a two syllable word, the chant still sucks. "Orange Power" does not have the same force and rhythm as "Boomer Sooner". Also, they're Aggies and I hate them.

GottaHavePride
1/25/2007, 01:10 AM

No joke. The basketball crowds were pretty solid when the men's team had players the fans loved like Eduardo Najera and Hollis Price. The teams the past few years really haven't had anyone that drew that big a following, so the crowds have dropped off. The women's team, on the other hand, is really gaining popularity with Courtney Paris AND they're winning huge.

boomersooner24
1/25/2007, 07:40 AM
As to who has the better program, it's OSU. It's not by a mile, but it's true. Even in the last 15 years or so when the programs essentially split head-to-head wins, OSU has had better NCAA success and hasn't exited early as often as OU has or suffered the 1st and 2nd round upsets as routinely.

Here is a fun fact that I always use against my OSU friends.

In the past 10 Big 12 basketball seasons OSU has finished ahead of OU in conferenece play once (and that was our NIT year). In the other 9 years OU finished ahead or they were tied.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/25/2007, 09:45 AM
Here is a fun fact that I always use against my OSU friends.

In the past 10 Big 12 basketball seasons OSU has finished ahead of OU in conferenece play once (and that was our NIT year). In the other 9 years OU finished ahead or they were tied.

Don't confuse this argument with facts...

OSUAggie
1/25/2007, 10:27 AM
OSU has been to 2 Final 4's ('95, '04), 3 sweet sixteens ('91, '92, '05) and an elite 8 ('00) in the last 15 years... OU has been to 1 final 4 ('02), 1 sweet 16 ('99), and 1 elite 8 ('03).... If you want to base the success on how each team finishes in the Big XII, fine, OU has better success. If you want to determine success on how each team finishes nationally, then OSU is the better program.

picasso
1/25/2007, 10:33 AM
no doubt Kelvin stubbed his toe many a time in the tournament.

OSUAggie
1/25/2007, 10:40 AM
no doubt Kelvin stubbed his toe many a time in the tournament.

Right... Here's a bit of a background...

OU's seeding has been ....

'92 - 4
'95 - 4
'96 - 10
'97 - 11
'98 - 10
'99 - 13
'00 - 3
'01 - 4
'02 - 2
'03 - 1
'05 - 3
'06 - 6

12/15 years.. avg. seed = 6

OSU's has been...

'92 - 2
'93 - 5
'94 - 4
'95 - 4
'98 - 8
'99 - 9
'00 - 3
'01 - 11
'02 - 7
'03 - 6
'04 - 2
'05 - 2

12/15 years.. avg. seed = 5

So, the teams have been almost the same the last 15 years nationally, but OSU seperates itself in the tournament. Maybe Capel can get away from the 1st round knockouts... OU was knocked out 7!!! times in the first round out of their 12 appearances in the tourney.

C&CDean
1/25/2007, 11:00 AM
Why is this silly discussion still going on?

I think it's very obvious that OSU can compete, and a fair amount of time beat OU in hoops on a regular basis. They pwn us in rasslin' and golf. BFD. They still have to wear that putrid orange, they're still aggots, they still live in Stoolwater, they still suck major hind tit in football and always will, they still think that football fields are supposed to run east/west, they've still got a brokeback cowboy for a mascot, they still think a plate of chili fries and a beer at Eskimo Joes is the pinnacle of fine cuisine, and they will forevermore be our little retarded cousins up north.

I just don't see any point trying to discuss anything about them. Especially with them. Reasoning with Doleo makes more sense than reasoning with an ag.

picasso
1/25/2007, 11:27 AM
it's true, oSu has a great athletic program but it's still a drop in the bucket compared to OU football. it's just a monster that's been augmented over time and through generations.
that can't be built overnight with new digs and press clippings.

stoopified
1/25/2007, 11:39 AM
OSU has been to 2 Final 4's ('95, '04), 3 sweet sixteens ('91, '92, '05) and an elite 8 ('00) in the last 15 years... OU has been to 1 final 4 ('02), 1 sweet 16 ('99), and 1 elite 8 ('03).... If you want to base the success on how each team finishes in the Big XII, fine, OU has better success. If you want to determine success on how each team finishes nationally, then OSU is the better program.You can count JUST the last 15 years if you want but that ignores the Tubbs era which was sperior to all but Sutton,iincluding regular season and NCAA. Truth is the only REAL superiority oSu can claim isa their 45-46 National title teams featuring the nearly 7 foot Bob Kurland who TOWERED over all opponents and swatted shots like King Kong swatted planes(goaltending was legal then).Funny thing is Iba coached another 22 years at oSu and did ABSOLUTELY nothing as far as making oSu a national contenderafter the 50's.

OSu has only played in 2 national title games in their historyand of course they won both in 1945 and 1946.OU has also been to two national title games ,the only difference being we lost to Bob Cousy and Holy Cross in 1947 and to Danny Manning and Kansas in 1988.

oSu claiming to be a basketball POWER would be like OU claiming be a national football power based on JUST Bud's '50,'55-'56 National Titles.What makes a program a true power is continued excellence.From a purely objective standpoint OU and OU are basically the same as far as basketball tradition goes.You count ONLY the kast 15 years that leaves out OUr'88 National runner-up finsh.In addition Billy Tubbs had 2 Sweet 16 clubs and an ELITE EIGHT team.That would build OU's total in the last 25 years to (2) Final Fours,(2) Elite Eights,3 Sweet 16's.Funny thing is oSu's NCAA sucess doesn't extend beyond what Drunk Sutton has done until you go all the way back to Iba.Hmmm,long dead period.At best oSu can only claim to be equal to OU.

OSUAggie
1/25/2007, 11:57 AM
It was a stretch, I thought, counting back 15 years anyway... In reality, prospects coming into the college ranks now have probably watched their respective sports for, what, 5-10 years at the most?

The Tubbs era at OU, I would argue, was better than Eddie's stay at OSU.

Building a power isn't quite as difficult as it used to be because kids aren't quite as traditional as they once were. That is, whatever the "new" thing is, that seems to be something with which the majority of kids want to associates themselves.

Even in football, it seems a power can be built in 10-15 years. Whether or not a university is able to sustain their achieved status seems to be the question, and apparently that can only be done by continuity within the coaching staff/system. I just think the climate for "program building" is a hell of a lot different now than it was 30 or 40 years ago due to the overabundance of media and the change of mindset among the youth in America.

Crimsontothecore
1/25/2007, 12:05 PM
Why is this silly discussion still going on?

I think it's very obvious that OSU can compete, and a fair amount of time beat OU in hoops on a regular basis. They pwn us in rasslin' and golf. BFD. They still have to wear that putrid orange, they're still aggots, they still live in Stoolwater, they still suck major hind tit in football and always will, they still think that football fields are supposed to run east/west, they've still got a brokeback cowboy for a mascot, they still think a plate of chili fries and a beer at Eskimo Joes is the pinnacle of fine cuisine, and they will forevermore be our little retarded cousins up north.

I just don't see any point trying to discuss anything about them. Especially with them. Reasoning with Doleo makes more sense than reasoning with an ag.
Well said.
The only reason osu fans brag about their b-ball and wrasslin is because it's all they have. They live their whole lives consumed with trying to be superior to OU in something...if only for a moment. They can build the nicest facilities they want and ol' t-bone can donate many more millions, but in the end, they are still just OU's jealous kid sisters blowing snot bubbles. The biggest difference (of many) between OU and osu is that OU has it's sights set on conquering the nation while osu is obsessed with trying to conquer OU.

Crimsontothecore
1/25/2007, 12:14 PM
It was a stretch, I thought, counting back 15 years anyway... In reality, prospects coming into the college ranks now have probably watched their respective sports for, what, 5-10 years at the most?

The Tubbs era at OU, I would argue, was better than Eddie's stay at OSU.

Building a power isn't quite as difficult as it used to be because kids aren't quite as traditional as they once were. That is, whatever the "new" thing is, that seems to be something with which the majority of kids want to associates themselves.

Even in football, it seems a power can be built in 10-15 years. Whether or not a university is able to sustain their achieved status seems to be the question, and apparently that can only be done by continuity within the coaching staff/system. I just think the climate for "program building" is a hell of a lot different now than it was 30 or 40 years ago due to the overabundance of media and the change of mindset among the youth in America.
Sorry, but influence goes back way further than "5-10 years". Do you really think parents and grandparents have no impact on a kids perspective on different schools?
I never saw OU play under Bud Wilkinson but my grandfather did and I grew up as a diehard OU fan partly because of that.
Tradition can't be built in 10-15 years. The "powers" you speak of are only a flash in the pot.

OSUAggie
1/25/2007, 12:24 PM
Sorry, but influence goes back way further than "5-10 years". Do you really think parents and grandparents have no impact on a kids perspective on different schools?
I never saw OU play under Bud Wilkinson but my grandfather did and I grew up as a diehard OU fan partly because of that.
Tradition can't be built in 10-15 years. The "powers" you speak of are only a flash in the pot.

So every prospect has a father/grandfather sittin' around the house to tell them how great teams were in the 50s and 60s???? Come on.. A LOT of today's prospects don't have a father, don't know what happened 15 years ago, much less 60, and are influenced by the talking heads.

Kray
1/25/2007, 12:25 PM
Two things seem to emerge about modern (1990-present) basketball. OU is slightly better in the regular season, but OSU is markedly better in the NCAA tournament. I don't know why that is, but that seems to be the book that's been written.

Something in the way Calvin coached wasn't conducive to tournament play. OU got upset too often. It had some teams capable of going deep, but it usually didn't.

Something in the way Sutton coached let his teams overachieve, or at least match its seed in the NCAA's. I can only think of one bonafide upset (Kent State a few years back). Some would say USC the year of the plane crash, but that year they were lucky to even finish the season.

Like I said, it's OSU by a nose, not by a mile if you are looking at the "now". It's OU all time, even though OSU has the titles, OU's record head to head is too much of an advantage. If Sean Sutton has equal success over the next ten years to Eddie's over the last ten years, that might have to be reevaluated.

But yeah, I think OSU fan is justified in saying their program is better. But it isn't like they are dominant, just a little better. And this season, they would have lost that game in Norman. Unless they can get their ball handling dealt with, they are going to be hurt all over the road in the Big 12.

Kray
1/25/2007, 12:26 PM
Sorry, but influence goes back way further than "5-10 years".

So the 60-year old OSU national Basketball championships aren't irrelevant?

Crimsontothecore
1/25/2007, 02:02 PM
So the 60-year old OSU national Basketball championships aren't irrelevant?
That's a little extreme. My point is that an OU player recruited in 1999 wouldn't have to have personal memory of say, the 1974-75 NC teams at OU to be influenced by them.
Now if you have to go back 65 years like osu fans do when they brag about having b-ball nc's..................well, that's why they are osu fans.:rolleyes:

Crimsontothecore
1/25/2007, 02:07 PM
So every prospect has a father/grandfather sittin' around the house to tell them how great teams were in the 50s and 60s???? Come on.. A LOT of today's prospects don't have a father, don't know what happened 15 years ago, much less 60, and are influenced by the talking heads.
Ok, not EVERY kid lacks a parent of grandparent. the MAJORITY of them have parents.
You're not giving parents enough credit for how much influence they have on their kids. Don't assume kids listen more to the talking heads than they do family.

picasso
1/25/2007, 06:55 PM

if this were true everyone would be doing it. there's a ton of schools out there with much much deeper pockets than oSu.

also, K-State tried your theory and it worked for about 7 years.

elderlysooner
1/26/2007, 12:47 AM
6 consensus AA's for OU
5 for OSU

21 for OSU

I don't understand how it happened either. When I was a student, late 50's, the basketball games were packed.

Sooner_Havok
1/26/2007, 01:03 AM

Yeah, Sutton is pretty "famous" in the fact that he nearly killed a poor woman with his drinking problem. The very same drinking problem that nearly killed the Kentucky round ball program too. Oh, and can't forget the other side of Sutton's coin, Sutton the rat.

Hey, Mr. NCAA man, OU is making to many phone calls!

Hey OU recruit, you don't want to go there, they are going to be put on probation, I know, I turned them in!

Crimsontothecore
1/26/2007, 07:13 AM
Yeah, Sutton is pretty "famous" in the fact that he nearly killed a poor woman with his drinking problem. The very same drinking problem that nearly killed the Kentucky round ball program too. Oh, and can't forget the other side of Sutton's coin, Sutton the rat.
Funny how osu gives Eddie the "GOD" treatment when the fact is, He only came to osu because Kentucky ran him out of town on a rail and no other school would touch him with a ten foot pole. I'll never forget how osu people crucified the poor woman he nearly killed and then they defended him for taking a leak on a middle school! And to think they have the name of this irresponsible drunk painted all over their basketball court.....only osu could do that with a straight face.
I hear him on the Sports Animal every week in Tulsa and it's pretty obvious he's still sloshed most of the time.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/26/2007, 09:04 AM
Funny how osu gives Eddie the "GOD" treatment when the fact is, He only came to osu because Kentucky ran him out of town on a rail and no other school would touch him with a ten foot pole. I'll never forget how osu people crucified the poor woman he nearly killed and then they defended him for taking a leak on a middle school! And to think they have the name of this irresponsible drunk painted all over their basketball court.....only osu could do that with a straight face.
I hear him on the Sports Animal every week in Tulsa and it's pretty obvious he's still sloshed most of the time.

Quite possibly, the post of the century.

Someone convince me that Eddie is more legendary than say Bob Huggins. Christian Laettner is probably thought more highly of in Kentucky than Eddie Sutton is these days.

fwsooner22
1/26/2007, 12:30 PM

That is dead on...............

stoopified
2/2/2007, 05:27 PM
No matter what the relative tradition is, it sure would be nice if our fans supported our basketball program half as well as OSU fans did theirs.Yeah but the last couple of years you can see an awful lot of empty seats in GIA.You didn't see that when Eddie's boys were hot.Besides what else can you do in Stillwater in the winter?I think it is too cold even for sheep-loving in unheated barns.:D

SoonerShark
2/4/2007, 08:52 PM

Let's see...as an aside, it takes 3 basketball championships to equal one football championships, and 3.7 trillion wrestling National championships to equal one unshared conference football championship.

OU does lead the basketball series 121-88 head to head with Osu.

When Osu won its basketball championships was when the NIT was arguably a bigger tournament to some. Nevertheless, unless I am dealing with an aggite, I do appreciate that O-a&m was the first repeat NCAA champion in basketball, though I don't always count how anybody did in sports until African-Americans were allowed on campus. Otherwise things seem a bit tainted.

Isn't Osu famous for attempting to brutalize an African-American football player who set foot on its field?

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/1254/Racial_flare_up_in_college_football_game

http://www.lib.drake.edu/site/newsEvents/detail.php?id=141

I do appreciate that the state's agricultural school allows marijuana dealers to play for it and is willing to take society's castoffs into its programs. That shows a great deal of forgiveness. I speculate that Eddie let convicted dope dealers on the team since he was older and needed medicinal marijuana for glaucoma, back pain or other malady.

Why can't an agricultural school grow grass on its football field? One reason might be that the basketball coach next door was always trying to "write" his name on the grass, which, admittedly, is an improvement on "freeing willie" and relieving himself on local public schools where minors might be present.

SoonerShark
2/4/2007, 08:54 PM
Quite possibly, the post of the century.

Someone convince me that Eddie is more legendary than say Bob Huggins. Christian Laettner is probably thought more highly of in Kentucky than Eddie Sutton is these days.

Sean Sutton must be smarter than he appears since he is alleged to have taken the ACT or SAT tests for UK recruits.

SoonerShark
2/4/2007, 08:56 PM
OSU has been to 2 Final 4's ('95, '04), 3 sweet sixteens ('91, '92, '05) and an elite 8 ('00) in the last 15 years... OU has been to 1 final 4 ('02), 1 sweet 16 ('99), and 1 elite 8 ('03).... If you want to base the success on how each team finishes in the Big XII, fine, OU has better success. If you want to determine success on how each team finishes nationally, then OSU is the better program.

Wasn't Kelvin Sampson the winingest Big XII coach at the end of his and Eddie's tenures last year?

SoonerShark
2/4/2007, 09:02 PM
A LOT of today's prospects don't have a father, don't know what happened 15 years ago, much less 60, and are influenced by the talking heads.

Are the kids today cloned... or is this another racist stereotype from Stillwater?

orangekaje
2/4/2007, 09:36 PM
So much knowledge of a school OU doesn't care about. Guess I'm happy to say I probably don't know 1/8th about OU what you know about OSU because I just don't care to. Sounds like quite a grudge for someone that isn't your rival. *shrug*

picasso
2/5/2007, 02:20 PM
So much knowledge of a school OU doesn't care about. Guess I'm happy to say I probably don't know 1/8th about OU what you know about OSU because I just don't care to. Sounds like quite a grudge for someone that isn't your rival. *shrug*
you bring it upon yourselves.

orangekaje
2/5/2007, 04:08 PM
you bring it upon yourselves.

How so? I wasn't responsible for a single thing he said.

picasso
2/5/2007, 04:11 PM
in general Orange person. try not printing up a bunch of t-shirts for ***lam wins.
that and don't talk smack so much when you win a battle over a recruit.

that's a start.

belch.

fwsooner22
2/5/2007, 04:20 PM
How so? I wasn't responsible for a single thing he said.

Just see a shrink about your inferiority complex and this whole problem is solved. Make sure the doctor is a good one (like with a degree from the OU med school).

fwsooner22
2/5/2007, 04:22 PM

If you just don't care why are you logging on to site called soonerfans.com?????

Do you not see what an aggie that makes you?;) :pop:

SleestakSooner
2/5/2007, 04:34 PM
Living here in Norman I have spent a lot of time at the new casino just south of the river called Riverwind. It makes me laugh at how many aggots I see running around all over the place. They stick out like sore thumbs.

What I don't understand is why they feel compelled to come down to Norman, hang out in this area at all and insist on wearing their gawdy gloss orange attire.

See I am a Sooner and you can tell just by talking to me. I do wear my crimson and cream on game days and at other appropriate occasions. But if I were going to Stillwater to hang out I would not purposfully wear that stuff just to throw it in your faces.

It's like they are trying to get a rise out of us Sooner fans by showing up in orange droves and I just laugh outloud and remind them that OSU sucks as I walk by.:stunned:

orangekaje
2/5/2007, 07:20 PM
If you just don't care why are you logging on to site called soonerfans.com?????

Do you not see what an aggie that makes you?;) :pop:

Sorry, I'm not on here to learn about the history of OU. Sometimes you just find treasure that makes our day over on the light side. Sometimes you don't even have to leave the light side to find that stuff such as this picture taken last week.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/jaydelott/sooners.jpg

http://forum.mpacuk.org/images/smilies/dielaffin.gif

orangekaje
2/5/2007, 07:21 PM
in general Orange person. try not printing up a bunch of t-shirts for ***lam wins.
that and don't talk smack so much when you win a battle over a recruit.

that's a start.

belch.

OK, where is this ****** shirt of mine and where is this smack over a recruit? Next...?

usmc-sooner
2/5/2007, 08:28 PM
OK, where is this ****** shirt of mine and where is this smack over a recruit? Next...?

I guess he just confused some poke who would take the time to register and post at a Sooner site with someone who would wear a lame *** T-shirt.

TopDawg
2/5/2007, 09:07 PM
I dont understand OSU fans, please help me understand

Let's start with something easier, like quantum physics.

David Earl
2/5/2007, 10:26 PM
Hey orangekaje...

A month off should do you some good.

Jello Biafra
2/5/2007, 10:48 PM
Hey orangekaje...

A month off should do you some good.

WOOT!

picasso
2/5/2007, 11:07 PM
well if you're not participating you're in the Aggie minority.

next? that comes in Norman in the fall.

SleestakSooner
2/5/2007, 11:19 PM
Sorry, I'm not on here to learn about the history of OU. Sometimes you just find treasure that makes our day over on the light side. Sometimes you don't even have to leave the light side to find that stuff such as this picture taken last week.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/jaydelott/sooners.jpg

http://forum.mpacuk.org/images/smilies/dielaffin.gif

And the saddest part of this is it is most likely an aggot that likes to run around and pretend he is not concerned with OU that wasted his time out in the snow to create this masterpiece.

I would have thought pokes would know how to make crop circles a bit better.:rolleyes:

bri
2/8/2007, 12:23 PM
Is it just me, or do an "elite team" and a "bubble team" look an awful lot alike?