PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with Capel

Octavian
1/22/2007, 11:42 PM
I was really impressed with Jeff tonight...

The ags thought they were gonna run us outta the gym tonight...and why not?

We've taken a lot better teams than this year's squad into GI and got beat worse than that.

Our players were ready to play....our schemes were solid throughout the night....he provided leadership and direction at times when he could've lost his cool or lost his focus after questionable calls....kept our guys focused on the next possession and stayed positive....

the players responded to him very well.

We weren't supposed to be in it w/ :25 to play, but we were.

And when the Japanimation character hit the FT (after taking up space for 3 hours) that sealed it.....he chuckled to himself and cussed.

I like this guy. He seems like a winner.

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2007, 11:43 PM
I was impressed. I liked his reaction also.

colleyvillesooner
1/22/2007, 11:44 PM
That makes 3.

kevpks
1/22/2007, 11:50 PM
If we continue to play like this I think 8-8 or better is within reach for this team.

tulsaoilerfan
1/22/2007, 11:58 PM
Capel is very impressive to me also; the Men's Hoops program is definitely headed in the right direction.

John

OUmillenium
1/22/2007, 11:59 PM
I had a lot of hope that Capel would turn out to be a good coach and the right fit for OU. Guess what? He is and it already shows. Our only flaws I thought were the Freshmen guards Maze and Crocker. They really struggled and I think the atmosphere got to them. Still love their quickness and intensity.

Great rebounding and D tonight by the Sooners. Struggled on offense a bit in the 2nd half or else we win. Johnson getting better, Godbold handling the ball and Ding up well. Nate Carter rising to the top again. A lot of things are coming together and I think it is due to Coach Capel's leadership. Could turn out to be a very fun season!!!

william_brasky
1/23/2007, 12:05 AM
He's a cool cat on the sideline and much more of a cerebral coach than what we've had in the past.

If he can recruit, the Big 12 is in trouble.

Ash
1/23/2007, 12:07 AM
He doesn't lack intensity, which I like, but I always notice that after he gets fired up he immediately follows it up with something positive or at least constructive for the players. He never gets totally down, which I think is showing in terms of how the players respond.

sooner2b09
1/23/2007, 12:40 AM
I was at the game and i was very impressed. He didnt let us get into that slump that we usually had with Kelvin, you know when we went 4-8 minutes with out a field goal. I felt he was giving them energy the whole game and that we always had a chance to win. I cant wait untill he gets some better offensive weapons.

shavedmarmoset
1/23/2007, 12:45 AM
I was at the game and i was very impressed. He didnt let us get into that slump that we usually had with Kelvin, you know when we went 4-8 minutes with out a field goal. I felt he was giving them energy the whole game and that we always had a chance to win. I cant wait untill he gets some better offensive weapons.

Word. We will be dominant in a couple years.

GrapevineSooner
1/23/2007, 12:47 AM
He seemed very poised on the sideline.

And I think that translated well to the guys out on the court.

poke4christ
1/23/2007, 12:58 AM
Totally agree, I was impressed by almost every aspect of OU today.

Partial Qualifier
1/23/2007, 07:48 AM
I

And when the Japanimation character hit the FT (after taking up space for 3 hours) that sealed it.....he chuckled to himself and cussed.

An animated gif of Capel chuckling & mouthing "GAWDAMMIT!" would be hella sweet :)

I'm very impressed with Capel as well! He did us proud preparing for last night's game. Keep it up, Coach

Taxman71
1/23/2007, 08:01 AM
Remember when OU hired Jeff Capel?

You will.

Count me in. Haven't missed a home game during the Capel era yet and I like everything I see. Give this guy equal talent on the floor and it will be good times.

OUSKINS
1/23/2007, 08:13 AM
He has this particular team "sold" without a doubt. I think we may take a few more lumps this year, but I definitely think we're NIT bound-- and we could do very well in that tournament, which would really exceed the expectations for this season.

The next step for Capel will be to see how he does when the talent is better, expectations are raised, and we become a favorite rather than an underdog. BIG difference there.

I love what I see thus far from Capel. It's a fun process to watch. But let's remember that it IS a process- and it's a process that is just beginning.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2007, 08:40 AM
have to echo the sentiments here......i didnt expect us to be anywhere close to winning or having a chance in this game....surprise surprise, this team is playing is overachieving right now

Capel's a keeper!

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 08:53 AM
....he provided leadership and direction at times when he could've lost his cool or lost his focus after questionable calls....

heh... whatever..

OU looked good. They had a clue what they were doing on both ends of the court, which is much better than the way OSU plays most of the time. They're solid with the ball, play good defensive and rebound well. Can't ask for much more than that. Once some scorers come in, they should be really good.

Hope the Pokes took some notes. Need to wake up from their current funk.

SoonerStormchaser
1/23/2007, 09:48 AM
Umm...don't neg me for this...but I like him better than Kelvin.

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2007, 10:07 AM

Something tells me that won't draw a single neg. :D

C&CDean
1/23/2007, 10:24 AM
Jeff Capel is the anti-Sutton.

On one sideline there's a coach who is cool, calm, professional, passionate-yet-composed, fresh, suave, intense, focused, and semi-good looking.

On the other sideline........there's not.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2007, 10:26 AM
in the huddle, he looked like a guy who's been there before.....in the heat of the moment with 30 seconds left

i really like that about him

Boomer.....
1/23/2007, 10:38 AM
Sampson, when given much less superior players, would never keep the game competitive in Stoolwater. Capel proved that he can do this. Great job coaching and playing!

stoopified
1/23/2007, 10:39 AM
Count me as amember of the Capel fan club.Guys named Jeff are usually great guys anyhow.My name is Jeff too.:)

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 10:43 AM
Sampson, when given much less superior players, would never keep the game competitive in Stoolwater. Capel proved that he can do this. Great job coaching and playing!

He did a decent job in 2000 with much less superior players.

NormanPride
1/23/2007, 10:54 AM
He did a decent job in 2000 with much less superior players.

2000 had his only NBA player in his senior season. :confused:

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 11:00 AM
2000 had his only NBA player in his senior season. :confused:

going against an elite 8 team...

GoState
1/23/2007, 11:12 AM
Sampson did a tremendous job at OU with what he had. It seems like he always had one or two salty players - Brewer, Erdman, Price, White, McGhee, etc. - who would be the bedrock of the team and then a handful of players who would play strong team D. As much as it pains me to say this, Sampson owns the head to head record over Eddie. Last night's game reminded me of the usual Eddie and Sampson coached games. Ugly offense which was caused by...good defense.

Checkout scores since the 2000 season:
'06
@OSU73-65 - OU
@OU67-66 - OU

'05
@OU 67-57 - OU
@OSU 79-67 -OSU

'04
@OSU 77-56 - OSU
@OU 65-52 - OSU

'03
@OSU 48-46 - OSU
@OU 64-48 - OU

'02
@OU 58-53 - OU
@OSU 79-72 - OSU (OT)

'01
@OSU 72-44 - OSU
@OU 68-56 - OU

'00
@OU 74-71 - OSU
@OSU 59-56 - OU

There are blowouts here and there, but most of the games were ugly, grind it out masterpieces. From what I saw last night, it looks like that trend is going to continue.

NormanPride
1/23/2007, 11:15 AM
going against an elite 8 team...

Dude, we were ranked #12 going into the tourney. We got upset by Purdue like Sampson loved to do come tourney time, but it's not like we sucked that year.

John Kochtoston
1/23/2007, 11:58 AM

I won't neg, but does it have to be an either/or proposition?

I liked Sampson when he was here (and still do, which results in a strange role-reversal in that I now cheer for Indiana when I used to despise the Hoosiers and Knight). I also like Capel.

GrapevineSooner
1/23/2007, 12:02 PM

I disagree.

The big knock against Sampson it seems is that when he had talented players (especially on offense), it seemed like his offensive system would hold them back.

The only game where we legitimately got blown out was in 2001 after the plane crash tragedy.

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 01:59 PM
The only game where we legitimately got blown out was in 2001 after the plane crash tragedy.

'96 and '04 in Stillwater weren't all that close.

fwsooner22
1/23/2007, 02:03 PM
Jeff Capel is the anti-Sutton.

On one sideline there's a coach who is cool, calm, professional, passionate-yet-composed, fresh, suave, intense, focused, and semi-good looking.

On the other sideline........there's not.

Did ya also notice Sutton making sure that they waved off the last bucket making it a 5 point win instead of 3 point win. Classless.

The line was +5 by the way. Just sayin.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/23/2007, 02:12 PM
Did ya also notice Sutton making sure that they waved off the last bucket making it a 5 point win instead of 3 point win. Classless.

The line was +5 by the way. Just sayin.

Yes, and a quick rewind and slo-mo replay on the DVR showed that the shot was off at .3 and should have counted.

Sutton will succeed at OSU only as long as he is given an ample supply of cheese and a big wheel to run in.

C&CDean
1/23/2007, 02:25 PM
I liked Sampson. I like Capel. What I'm liking more about Capel is the way he's milking good play out of players that were schmos in Sampson's scheme. Longar? He was a novelty under Sampson. He's a paaalaaayaaa under Capel.

fwsooner22
1/23/2007, 03:30 PM
I liked Sampson. I like Capel. What I'm liking more about Capel is the way he's milking good play out of players that were schmos in Sampson's scheme. Longar? He was a novelty under Sampson. He's a paaalaaayaaa under Capel.

That is dead on............

OUstud
1/23/2007, 03:55 PM
KS had 2 years (one transfer) to develop Nate Carter. I think we can all agree he was a major disappointment.

Capel comes in, and in half a season, has Carter as one of the best post players in the Big XII right now despite Carter only being 6'6".

THAT is why I'm all for Capel. He has these guys playing, not grinding. Since the Tech debacle, we haven't had the KS, "21% from the field, seven minute scoring drought" games, and I think those will be few and far between for the rest of the season.

We stand at 11-7, 3-3. I think we have a shot at beating A&M once, realistically, but twice isn't out of the question entirely. ISU, Mizzou, and Baylor are teams we should beat (but all are on the road). Tech and OSU at home are winnable. At KSU and home for Texass and KU will be tough. Longwood should be an easy win. At this point I think a good goal is 17-19 wins, 8 wins in conference.

MikeInNorman
1/23/2007, 04:23 PM
I'm in. I thought Capel coached circles around Ratboy last night. Had Crocker and Maze not played like the freshmen they are (seriously: I think last night for each of them was by far their worst game of the season), we win that game going away.

Just think of the advantages held by Aggy:

1. A thin but talented roster of players that, accoring to Aggy, were highly sought after, whether recruited through the county jail, from other teams, or legitimately;

2. Home game in the Vertigo Capital of the US;

3. Ratboy, proclaimed by all as the greatest coach around, and seriously, I am not joking, pimped by the SA this morning as a candidate for National Coach of the Year.

Capel has a new team comprised of a bunch of role players and spare parts, essentially without a recruiting class. On their first visit to Aggy's self-proclaimed Greatest, Most Hardest, Yelliest Bandbox in the US and A: the Walk-In Closet of Doom. Where Aggy shot 34 free throws to OU's 14. Yet, at the end, who looked flustered and desperate, and who looked confident and in control?

SoonerStormchaser
1/23/2007, 04:33 PM

Here's my 8 spek points coming at you!

PrideTrombone
1/23/2007, 05:03 PM
I will admit, I was one of the people yelling "WHO TEH **** IS JEFF CAPEL? DAMMIT WHERE'S CALIPARI?", but Capel's won me over with the improvement the team has shown. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do with a recruiting class and time to develop them.

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 05:11 PM
So is a 3-2 Sooner football victory over Texas more enjoyable than a 152-148 basketball victory over Texas?

fwsooner22
1/23/2007, 05:19 PM
So is a 3-2 Sooner football victory over Texas more enjoyable than a 152-148 basketball victory over Texas?

Yes....and I am a basketball fan........It's not something you will ever understand

Harry Beanbag
1/23/2007, 05:26 PM

They would both give me a heart attack, so it's difficult to choose one of them.

Oh, and I have to agree with everything else that has been said. I think Joe C. hit another home run with this hire.

OSUAggie
1/23/2007, 05:34 PM
Yes....and I am a basketball fan........It's not something you will ever understand

I mean more enjoyable to watch. Not more enjoyable to look back on and know that you beat Texas in the RRS this year to secure your Big XII South representation or whatever... Maybe you knew I meant that, just attempting to rephrase a bit.

fwsooner22
1/23/2007, 05:47 PM
I mean more enjoyable to watch. Not more enjoyable to look back on and know that you beat Texas in the RRS this year to secure your Big XII South representation or whatever... Maybe you knew I meant that, just attempting to rephrase a bit.

Lose to them in Football it hurts for a year.....Basketball not so much.....that's just how it is......I wish Basketball was more important....it isn't and it never will be.....ever........It's still great to beat them in hoops but it's more of an 8 beer night in basketball........Football? It's a stinkin three day binge with little memory of what actually happened. So freakin cool.

No it does not matter the score......just doesn't....it's football

OUstud
1/23/2007, 05:54 PM
Now a 152-48 W over Texass...I might swear off football. :D

fwsooner22
1/23/2007, 10:15 PM
:pop:
Now a 152-48 W over Texass...I might swear off football. :D

NormanPride
1/24/2007, 12:10 AM
(badger here, not np)
NP and I cheered when Capel got his technical a few months back. The players were dead, unmotivated and not getting back on defense. Capel was getting angrier and angrier... until finally, he got T'd.

And the Sooners suddenly showed life :D

birddog
1/24/2007, 12:26 AM
i like capel alot. i like his energy, enthusiasm, and basketball knowledge. i mean, come on, he was just hitting shots for duke 10 years ago. i think to have such a young guy that can relate to his players is more important than coaching experience. he'll be able to pull in recruits that sampson would never be able to pull off.

also, he's recruting in-state players which will only help to develop our fan base to be more passionate about the team.

we should be set for a few years with him. of course, the more success he has, the more likely he runs off to a real basketball school.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/24/2007, 08:59 AM
When do we stop taking threads saying great things about our new great coach and yet somehow we always come back around to bashing Sampson. If you don't like Sampson that's fine, but couldn't we focus on our players and OUr new coach? I mean every thread about the basketball team turns into a bashing of Sampson.

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 11:27 AM
When do we stop taking threads saying great things about our new great coach and yet somehow we always come back around to bashing Sampson. If you don't like Sampson that's fine, but couldn't we focus on our players and OUr new coach? I mean every thread about the basketball team turns into a bashing of Sampson.

Huh? Did you read the thread? I don't really see any Sampson "bashing."

Yes, some use Kelvin as a comparison object, but I really don't see any bashing going on at all. In fact, several posters said they like/liked Sampson. Me included.

Now if you're saying you enjoyed 13 minutes every game with 0 points of output, loved losing in the first round of the NCAA's most years to crap-*** teams, got wood watching games where the total points scored is <100, and have a man-crush on a guy who wears blue denim shirts then you like a different game than me. Kelvin did a lot of great things for OU. He won. A lot. He's moved on, and when the new coach does something that is an exact opposite of the way Kelvin did it - AND it's successful - folks are gonna notice. Don't ya' think?

fwsooner22
1/24/2007, 11:47 AM
Huh? Did you read the thread? I don't really see any Sampson "bashing."

Yes, some use Kelvin as a comparison object, but I really don't see any bashing going on at all. In fact, several posters said they like/liked Sampson. Me included.

Now if you're saying you enjoyed 13 minutes every game with 0 points of output, loved losing in the first round of the NCAA's most years to crap-*** teams, got wood watching games where the total points scored is <100, and have a man-crush on a guy who wears blue denim shirts then you like a different game than me. Kelvin did a lot of great things for OU. He won. A lot. He's moved on, and when the new coach does something that is an exact opposite of the way Kelvin did it - AND it's successful - folks are gonna notice. Don't ya' think?

I was thinking the same thing when I read the post. However, I cannot put it quite so eloqently.

I thought everyone was very fair with KS in this thread.

However, did ya see the 40 point performance Indiana threw up last night. Two, 4 minute and one, 6 minute scoring drought. Averaging 1 point per minute. I do not miss that at all.

C&CDean
1/24/2007, 12:01 PM
I looked in a dictionary yesterday and stumbled upon the word "drought." It had a picture of Kelvin holding a basketball.

NormanPride
1/24/2007, 12:02 PM
Capel still has to recruit effectively and manage running a team over many years. Something Sampson did a little too effectively, really. ;) But with the recruits we've gotten so far, I think we'll be fine. I just hope Capel recruits people for his system, not just big names.

EDIT: Hey, we also had a scoring drought in the game vs. OSU... But it was when we had Maze and Crocker in at the same time, and they freaked. When they weren't both on the court, we were fine.

fwsooner22
1/24/2007, 12:05 PM
I looked in a dictionary yesterday and stumbled upon the word "drought." It had a picture of Kelvin holding a basketball.

Stinkin Brilliant

J-Rod12
1/24/2007, 01:52 PM
I think time will demonstrate that Castiglione has struck gold (again) with this guy. Say what you want about other aspects of his job performance, but you cannot deny he can identify, target, and secure superior coaching talent.

John Kochtoston
1/24/2007, 04:44 PM

Excellent point. OU hoops isn't Highlander. There can be more than one.