PDA

View Full Version : Kirkendoll DECOMMITS!!!!

The Consumate Showman
1/22/2007, 08:08 PM
My uncle in Texas called me about 5 minutes ago and told me that he found out that Kirkendoll has decommitted from OU to go and visit UT this weekend! I think he said he got it off of rivals. Harry or someone w/a subscription, confirm? I looked on rivals front page and there is a small article on him. What a fag!

birddog
1/22/2007, 08:10 PM
damn, i wonder what happened?

The Consumate Showman
1/22/2007, 08:13 PM

Forgot, my uncle said he, Kirkendoll, was worried and that he had heard that OU was going to get in trouble for the Bomar thing.

birddog
1/22/2007, 08:31 PM
probably more negative recruiting crap from the mackster. :rolleyes:

i may be wrong, but it seems like the investigation is over an done with.

MojoRisen
1/22/2007, 08:44 PM
You know it doesn't seem to be effecting USC- They seem to have a bigger problem with the bush deal and about 500K in cash benefits too his family... From an agent no less...

Not only should we not get in trouble with the NCAA- we didn't even have too kick them off the team for it and turn ourselves in.

The NCAA needs to friggin let it go- and give us the MNC 2004 while they are at it...

Collier11
1/22/2007, 08:49 PM
All sounds good MOJO sept I dont want that 2004 title, id rather they just add it to bama's total or give it to Boise or someone. We dont deserve 04'

MojoRisen
1/22/2007, 08:55 PM
I hear you- I have heard enough of the negative recruiting- Kirkendoll is a mo.... here is his qoute- I think he always wanted to be a longhorn and is just selling us out now that he has an offer from UT.... Classless for a kid who accepted our offer and now is pouring salt on the wound - I don't want him...

"Yes sir, I opened up my recruiting again," Kirkendoll said. "I had heard some comments about Oklahoma possibly going on probation because of the Rhett Bomar situation and I decided that I needed to open things up again."

According to Kirkendoll, the interest from the Longhorns came after a little legwork on his part.

"I made a senior highlight film and sent it out to a few schools that I was interested in," Kirkendoll said. "The Texas coaches looked at the video and told me that they were very interested and they offered. Some things changed because they had some spots open up."

BASSooner
1/22/2007, 09:46 PM
so i'm guessing that texas really is everything to recruits eh? ha! how delusional...

BASSooner
1/22/2007, 09:53 PM
at this point we need either tolliver or bryant...or broyles

TexasEx4OU
1/22/2007, 10:22 PM
Let's recap...

Gerald Jones claims that Mack, and specifically Mack, mentioned possible probation for OU due to the Bomar incident. Matt Romine confirms that certain schools are negatively recruiting against OU, but also states that negatives are mentioned about other schools. Now Kirkendoll.

The NCAA's delay in a decision on Bomargate has become the functional equivalent of a sanction. The Boz was right.

jps
1/22/2007, 10:31 PM
nm

starrca23
1/22/2007, 10:43 PM
Mack the knife.

KingDavid
1/22/2007, 10:51 PM
Let's recap...

Gerald Jones claims that Mack, and specifically Mack, mentioned possible probation for OU due to the Bomar incident. Matt Romine confirms that certain schools are negatively recruiting against OU, but also states that negatives are mentioned about other schools. Now Kirkendoll.

The NCAA's delay in a decision on Bomargate has become the functional equivalent of a sanction. The Boz was right.

Herr, before I go completely apeshat on your father-figure, I'll give you an opportunity to defend him. Please avoid the "everyone does it" angle.

melbitoast
1/22/2007, 11:00 PM
I live 5 minutes from his house. I'm going to go slap the hell out of him.

CatfishSooner
1/22/2007, 11:29 PM
DO it.

utex74
1/22/2007, 11:41 PM
You know it doesn't seem to be effecting USC- They seem to have a bigger problem with the bush deal and about 500K in cash benefits too his family... .

Let's see...Southern California, palm trees, beach bunnies, one of the better programs in the country vs. Norman, one of the better programs in the country, and...uh....what? ok, you guys help me out here. To an 18 yr old recruit it seems like a no brainer to me. Southern California is hard to compte against.

MojoRisen
1/22/2007, 11:44 PM
Let's see...Southern California, palm trees, beach bunnies, one of the better programs in the country vs. Norman, one of the better programs in the country, and...uh....what? ok, you guys help me out here. To an 18 yr old recruit it seems like a no brainer to me. Southern California is hard to compte against.

My point was they should get the death penalty if we are actually being considered for probation...

utex74
1/22/2007, 11:49 PM
Herr, before I go completely apeshat on your father-figure, I'll give you an opportunity to defend him. Please avoid the "everyone does it" angle.

I questioned the whole Gerald Jones story specifically for the cell phone angle.
I think no way he was given Mack's cell phone number and asked to call. No known precident for that. But I would think that a coach or player brought up possible NCAA sanctions to any recruit to provide a wedge. I'm sure Kirkendoll was receptive to anything he was told, especially considering he is from Round Rock, which is North Austin. He grew up and played under the burnt orange glow of Texas. Paul Thompson is one of the few from down here to turn down an offer and that was because he was told he would be a wide receiver if he came here.

utex74
1/22/2007, 11:50 PM
My point was they should get the death penalty if we are actually being considered for probation...

On that we are in total agreement!

Sooner in Tampa
1/23/2007, 06:58 AM
I would just like to go on record as saying "I f%^cking hate sexaT!!!!!!!

Mjcpr
1/23/2007, 08:54 AM
He has supposedly unofficially committed to Texas....whatever that means. According to orangebloods.com anyway.

toast
1/23/2007, 09:35 AM
why did the name rufus harris pop up into my mind?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/23/2007, 09:43 AM
2 issuses at least somewhat seperate.

Kirkendoll can make a comment about the NCAA looking at OU as a convenient excuse/smoke screen to be able to change his decision. He will largely now get a free pass. If he were to say "Well I was going to OU but I was waiting for an offer from Texas" it would look a lot worse. As it is he's covered and he gets a free shot at OU.

As far as any NCAA sanctions, apart from someone being paranoid we know that nothing is coming from the NCAA. I'm really starting to wonder if USC is going to get in any trouble for doing things 10X worse. As to negative recruiting I'm sure opposing teams do it all the time and while Stoops might not do it I'm willing to bet that 1-2 of our assistants have done it at some point. Where there is smoke there is fire and I'm sure that :mack: has done his share of negative recruiting but I wouldn't worry about a whole class unraveling just because I lifelong Whorn fan jumped at the chance to get to play there.

caphorns
1/23/2007, 10:17 AM
2 issuses at least somewhat seperate.

Kirkendoll can make a comment about the NCAA looking at OU as a convenient excuse/smoke screen to be able to change his decision. He will largely now get a free pass. If he were to say "Well I was going to OU but I was waiting for an offer from Texas" it would look a lot worse. As it is he's covered and he gets a free shot at OU.

As far as any NCAA sanctions, apart from someone being paranoid we know that nothing is coming from the NCAA. I'm really starting to wonder if USC is going to get in any trouble for doing things 10X worse. As to negative recruiting I'm sure opposing teams do it all the time and while Stoops might not do it I'm willing to bet that 1-2 of our assistants have done it at some point. Where there is smoke there is fire and I'm sure that :mack: has done his share of negative recruiting but I wouldn't worry about a whole class unraveling just because I lifelong Whorn fan jumped at the chance to get to play there. I pretty much agree. I think Kirkendoll has always wanted an offer from UT and made it pretty clear. It appears to me that we have 4 or 5 transfers in the works and that has opened space for James and others. I'd also agree that the "possible sanctions" deal is weak sauce by James. I'm sure he knows nothing more about the situation than he did when he committed in the first place. As for Mack, I really see no reason why every coach in the country shouldn't mention the fact that OU is under investigation and awaiting possible NCAA sanctions. Do you seriously think OU wouldn't make mention of this fact in recruiting against another school? It's just a fact. Like it or not. I have no insight on Mack except he has a fairly honorable record in his dealings with recruits and people in general. I know some of you may disagree but you have very little in the way of actual facts to stand on. Not that I blame you for being ****ed. I was hugely ****ed when Florida ended up with Brantley.

Beef
1/23/2007, 10:27 AM
What a fag!
Do you always call HS students "fags" because they change their minds? I know you're just joking and frustrated, but that's a bit over the top.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/23/2007, 10:38 AM
I pretty much agree. I think Kirkendoll has always wanted an offer from UT and made it pretty clear. It appears to me that we have 4 or 5 transfers in the works and that has opened space for James and others. I'd also agree that the "possible sanctions" deal is weak sauce by James. I'm sure he knows nothing more about the situation than he did when he committed in the first place. As for Mack, I really see no reason why every coach in the country shouldn't mention the fact that OU is under investigation and awaiting possible NCAA sanctions. Do you seriously think OU wouldn't make mention of this fact in recruiting against another school? It's just a fact. Like it or not. I have no insight on Mack except he has a fairly honorable record in his dealings with recruits and people in general. I know some of you may disagree but you have very little in the way of actual facts to stand on. Not that I blame you for being ****ed. I was hugely ****ed when Florida ended up with Brantley.

I'm not really ****ed. I probably care less than a lot do about it. I'd rather have someone with his talent than not but he wasn't likely to see the field for a couple of years anyway so I won't be losing sleep over it.

My opinion is that Stoops, while I wouldn't say NEVER, would only on a rare occaision say something about another school positive or negative. My guess is when he is speaking with a recruit it is all about Oklahoma. Now I wouldn't be suprised if Venables, BJW, or Wilson have on numerous occaisions done some negative recruiting. (Just going with my gut on this one)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/23/2007, 10:41 AM
Do you always call HS students "fags" because they change their minds? I know you're just joking and frustrated, but that's a bit over the top.

Well in fairness he did say "What a fag", implying that he excells.:D

Herr Scholz
1/23/2007, 10:58 AM
I don't believe Mack negatively recruits. Specifically, I don't believe Gerald Jones for a minute. None of the super serious recruitniks who follow this stuff religiously had ever heard of him. Mack doesn't offer on a cel phone, only in person. The whole story was completely laughable.

I know you're mad about losing a recruit, but I think you're jumping to conclusions on zero information concerning Mack. Besides that ridiculous Jones story, nobody's ever mentioned Mack's name.

You don't think there might have been 1 or 2 people in Round Rock (Longhorn country) filling his ear with probation rumors? The greater Austin area consists of 1.4M people. Kind of a stretch to just assume Mack is a negative recruiter, especially given the fact that Kirkendoll was the one to contact the UT football staff, not the other way around. I think that's a key fact you're ignoring here.

stoopified
1/23/2007, 11:23 AM
For Kirkendoll and all other recruits you can come to OU and be part of a championship or go somewhere else and watch us win championships.One player is NOT bigger than the OU football program.

caphorns
1/23/2007, 12:43 PM
I'm not really ****ed. I probably care less than a lot do about it. I'd rather have someone with his talent than not but he wasn't likely to see the field for a couple of years anyway so I won't be losing sleep over it.

My opinion is that Stoops, while I wouldn't say NEVER, would only on a rare occaision say something about another school positive or negative. My guess is when he is speaking with a recruit it is all about Oklahoma. Now I wouldn't be suprised if Venables, BJW, or Wilson have on numerous occaisions done some negative recruiting. (Just going with my gut on this one)

I'd agree. I also don't have any reason to believe Mack did any negative recruiting on this one. The evidentiary foundation for the claim that Mack negatively recruits is paper thin (and very untrustworthy) as pointed out by Herr. I know for a fact that Stoops and Mack both believe that negative recruiting is counterproductive in general.

OU_Sooners75
1/23/2007, 06:46 PM
Personally, who gives a sh**!!

It isnt like we cant find someone else to ride the pine for the next 2 years!

Sooner24
1/23/2007, 07:24 PM
Who cares.

tulsaoilerfan
1/23/2007, 10:58 PM
I can't believe some of you people get so worked up over 18 year olds and where they go to school; if he's a life long Whorns fan, then let him go there and move on.

Vaevictis
1/23/2007, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure why we care. Kid is a lifelong 'horn fan, and he broke his word because either someone whispered "probation" in his ear or because he always wanted to go to UT and a slot opened up, or both.

That kind of person does not a Sooner make, so I just don't give a rats ***.

fwsooner22
1/24/2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure why we care. Kid is a lifelong 'horn fan, and he broke his word because either someone whispered "probation" in his ear or because he always wanted to go to UT and a slot opened up, or both.

That kind of person does not a Sooner make, so I just don't give a rats ***.

Perfectly said

NorthernIowaSooner
1/24/2007, 04:20 PM
just an update, he apparently has officially given a soft verbal to texas

TheUnnamedSooner
1/24/2007, 06:03 PM

What's so wrong with calling someone a cigarrette :confused:

BASSooner
1/24/2007, 06:27 PM
just an update, he apparently has officially given a soft verbal to texas
SOFT verbal? funny i thought texas didnt take soft verbals. thats how emanual moody got his scholly turned down.

caphorns
1/24/2007, 06:52 PM
SOFT verbal? funny i thought texas didnt take soft verbals. thats how emanual moody got his scholly turned down.

You are thiking of Derke Robinson who took a visit to Arizona despite the Texas coaching staff letting him know beforehand that if he took a visit, his offer would be reconsidered. Last time I checked, Derke is not on the Wildcats roster or listed on their depth charts due to grade issues. He never got through the Clearinghouse.

Here's the story from an old Rivals article with quotes from Derke:

"I told them before I went out there. Texas is so deep. They told me not to take any more visits, but me and my family talked about it and I don't want to go to college and have any regrets. So I felt like I owed it to myself to look at other places," Robinson said.

Per their policy of not allowing committed players to visit other schools, the Longhorn coaches informed Robinson before the visit that they would have to re-evaluate whether or not his scholarship was still on the table. No final word has been given, and Robinson said he's still firmly in Texas' camp until he hears otherwise.

"At this point, I consider myself a strong commitment. Until they tell me what's really going on, I feel like I'm still 100 percent Texas," he said. "But they're making me feel like I need to move on so we'll see. But I'm just going to stay focused and try not to worry about it."

Moody decommitted and went to USC. Here's the old rivals article showing that Texas stuck to its commit to Moody:

Coppell (Texas) four-star running back Emmanuel Moody verbally committed to the University of Texas in March, but after a surprise visit to USC in September, his solid commitment began wavering.

Emmanuel Moody officially visited USC Sept. 17
That changed Wednesday night as Moody officially withdrew his name from the Longhorns commitment list. After calling the Longhorn coaching staff, Moody all but eliminated Texas from consideration.

It's a decision that Moody has really struggled with over the past several weeks, and he wanted every Longhorn fan to know that he's extremely thankful of every bit of support that has been given to him.

"I just want to thank (UT assistant) coach (Bobby) Kennedy for all that he's done. He's been behind me 100 percent. He wasn't just a recruiter to me. He was a friend too," Moody said.

"This is really hard because I've been committed to Texas for several months. I want to thank them for accepting me into the Longhorn family.

"Coach Rucker has been great to me and Mack Brown is one of the coolest head coaches I've met. I just want to thank The University of Texas for being welcoming me

and my whole family."

Moody said he talked to the Texas coaching staff on Wednesday night to inform them of his decision, and that he's now ready to move forward with the process.

Moody may take another visit just to make sure he's covered all of his bases, but the school he visited in September could be in the driver's seat.

"I really loved Texas and when I took that visit I got to see what else is out there," Moody said. "All I know is Florida (where he lived until age 9) and Texas and that's it. I got to see California and I liked what it was all about.

"For the longest time, I've really liked Texas, and I really liked the coaching staff and the program. I felt like I was committed because of my relationship with the coaches and the university, and I wasn't really looking out for myself with where I felt most comfortable."

It's been a real struggle for Moody just to come to a decision, but he said he also felt an obligation to stay with Texas after giving his initial commitment.

"All that I said and all that I felt, it was one of the hardest things," he said.

On Texas' side, Moody said he had kept them in the loop as far as his intentions, even letting the staff know when he visited for the Kansas game that USC was very much still in the picture. The Longhorn coaches, to their credit, didn't try to pressure him although it seems like they could see the writing on the wall - telling him they might have to look at other options.

"It's a huge load off of my mind because I had such a huge struggle with the decision to de-commit," Moody said.

The Consumate Showman
1/24/2007, 07:45 PM

Well, I didn't mean it in the way I guess you are thinking. Maybe I should use other adjectives like low-life, underhanded, tool, troll, traitor, any of those work for ya? C'mon, he says that he really liked everything about OU enough to commit to us and then he turns around, makes highlight tapes of himself and starts sending them out to other schools? You tell me that doesn't frustrate you.

Jdog
1/24/2007, 08:01 PM

Isn't SC right smack dab in the middle of SouthCentral LA.-- I suppose if you take Century blvd you could be at a beach to see those bunnies in say 90 minutes on a good day. That is if you don't get shot - or mind it being Venice or Manhattan Beach or mind shareing it with a few hundred thousand people.

Oh that rights they don't have to live in Compton, they can live 45 min northwest of town and have their agent drive them to class - that is if they go to class.

KingDavid
1/24/2007, 08:30 PM
I don't believe Mack negatively recruits. Specifically, I don't believe Gerald Jones for a minute. None of the super serious recruitniks who follow this stuff religiously had ever heard of him. Mack doesn't offer on a cel phone, only in person. The whole story was completely laughable.

I know you're mad about losing a recruit, but I think you're jumping to conclusions on zero information concerning Mack. Besides that ridiculous Jones story, nobody's ever mentioned Mack's name.

You don't think there might have been 1 or 2 people in Round Rock (Longhorn country) filling his ear with probation rumors? The greater Austin area consists of 1.4M people. Kind of a stretch to just assume Mack is a negative recruiter, especially given the fact that Kirkendoll was the one to contact the UT football staff, not the other way around. I think that's a key fact you're ignoring here.

Fair enough. If he can be that quickly spooked by common hearsay, I'd guess we're better off without him. It's definitely a strike against him . . . but the decommit thing always is, no matter who it ends up being. Ryan Perriloux is a perfect example that character will thwart talent 9 times out of 10.

PLaw
1/24/2007, 10:42 PM

Article today in the Oklahoman noted a statement by the young man that showed strong influence by negative recruiting - which happens to be a NCAA violation - contributed to the decomit.

Now, I wonder who was doing the negative recruiting?? T-sips, OSHoe's, Faggies, Corn Heads. Things that make you go HMMMMM. My money is on the T-sips? Do you think we can get the National Communist Against Athletes to slap their wrist??

BOOMER SOONER

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/25/2007, 09:52 AM
Isn't SC right smack dab in the middle of SouthCentral LA.-- I suppose if you take Century blvd you could be at a beach to see those bunnies in say 90 minutes on a good day. That is if you don't get shot - or mind it being Venice or Manhattan Beach or mind shareing it with a few hundred thousand people.

Oh that rights they don't have to live in Compton, they can live 45 min northwest of town and have their agent drive them to class - that is if they go to class.

If the story about the recordings of Bush getting payoffs turns out to be true then I think USC is going to be the victim of a lot of negative recruiting.

caphorns
1/25/2007, 01:46 PM
If "negative recruiting" is a NCAA violation, then Okie Light should get the death penalty right now and Les Miles should be banished from coaching ever again.

snp
1/25/2007, 01:47 PM
Who cares.

Personally, who gives a sh**!!

It isnt like we cant find someone else to ride the pine for the next 2 years!

I can't believe some of you people get so worked up over 18 year olds and where they go to school; if he's a life long Whorns fan, then let him go there and move on.

This is a RECRUITING forum. Obviously there's several of us that do care when OU loses a kid to UT. It's a blow to us. Kudos to you guys for trying to take the high ground about this, but it's not needed. If you don't follow or like recruiting, then don't bother interjecting with that trite crap.

Seamus
1/25/2007, 02:30 PM

I've been to the suc campus. You can literally walk across the street from those hallowed halls and it looks like the set of an N.W.A. video.

Ice Cube will swarm on any mother ****er in a blue uniform ...

New_Guy
1/25/2007, 04:13 PM
I thought this thread was about Kirkendoll DECOMMITING and goin to a BETTER school. Whats this crap about N.W.A.?

MojoRisen
1/25/2007, 04:18 PM
I thought this thread was about Kirkendoll DECOMMITING and goin to a BETTER school. Whats this crap about N.W.A.?

Comparison on why USC isn't suffering from negative recruiting with the whole bush deal...

"dope man dope man you think your so slick you sold crack too my sister and now she's sick... if she happent to die because of your drug i am putting in your kilo a 38 slug"

New_Guy
1/25/2007, 04:36 PM
Comparison on why USC isn't suffering from negative recruiting with the whole bush deal...

"dope man dope man you think your so slick you sold crack too my sister and now she's sick... if she happent to die because of your drug i am putting in your kilo a 38 slug"
Ok thanks...i guess. So lets get back to my main man Kirkendoll makin the RIGHT choice. He'll also play bball for a better team. Doesnt that make TWO OU decommits for Texas? :rolleyes:

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2007, 04:37 PM
If "negative recruiting" is a NCAA violation, then Okie Light should get the death penalty right now and Les Miles should be banished from coaching ever again.

I'm fine with both of those ideas.

Phil
1/25/2007, 04:49 PM
Ok thanks...i guess. So lets get back to my main man Kirkendoll makin the RIGHT choice. He'll also play bball for a better team. Doesnt that make TWO OU decommits for Texas? :rolleyes:

Buh Bye.

colleyvillesooner
1/25/2007, 04:57 PM
yeah!

snp
1/25/2007, 05:16 PM
I'm already liking the new ch-ch-ch-changes.

OK2LA
1/25/2007, 05:48 PM

Have you been to Los Angeles in a recent dream of yours, or do you just pretend you've been there and spout this knowledge of yours as fact? Where did you come up with these numbers?

BASSooner
1/25/2007, 06:12 PM
You are thiking of Derke Robinson who took a visit to Arizona despite the Texas coaching staff letting him know beforehand that if he took a visit, his offer would be reconsidered. Last time I checked, Derke is not on the Wildcats roster or listed on their depth charts due to grade issues. He never got through the Clearinghouse.

Here's the story from an old Rivals article with quotes from Derke:

Moody decommitted and went to USC. Here's the old rivals article showing that Texas stuck to its commit to Moody:
I can argue with the last statement. I got the details from an OU classmate of mine who went to HS with moody.

Ash
1/25/2007, 08:30 PM

culo...as in I'm shootin' yer a$$.

insuranceman_22
1/29/2007, 12:49 AM
You know, since your one for mack's bitches, you gonna get banned!