PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboy Head Coaching job opening (post rumors/links/hilarious jokes here)

SoonerStormchaser
1/22/2007, 01:13 PM
Carroll to the Cowboys!

Take Norm Chow with you!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/22/2007, 01:30 PM
Wouldn't that be sweet!!!

SoonerStormchaser
1/22/2007, 01:40 PM
That is all!:texan:

OklahomaTuba
1/22/2007, 01:48 PM
That would be greatness.

Maybe Fran is starting to feel the itch again???

possumfat
1/22/2007, 01:53 PM
How about Stoops............think he might be interested ?

SoonerStormchaser
1/22/2007, 01:59 PM
^^^And so it begins^^^

Desert Sapper
1/22/2007, 02:00 PM
Not gonna happen. Jones doesn't allow the freedom that Pete wants in the NFL.

tommieharris91
1/22/2007, 02:44 PM
Don't worry, ESPN has already started the Stoops-to-Dallas rumors too.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/22/2007, 02:45 PM
I don't want to see Pete in the paper/news everyday down here ugh

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 02:51 PM
To Start, IMHO Bob is not going to Dallas. But those of us who live in the Metroplex have been hearing Bobs name mentioned as a possible Parcells Replacement for 4 years now. So like it or not we have to deal with the fact that for the rest of the week... people will be claiming . "Bob was seen in Dallas looking for houses", "Jerry Jones was seen the OKC Airport", "Bob's best friend from College Said the only job he'd leave OU for was Dallas" etc etc etc.

I will say this...he has now (yes according to rumor) had the opportunity to take multiple high profile college jobs and some juicy NFL jobs. WHEN this job comes and goes and Bob is still a Sooner, surely we can accept his word when he says he actually likes being the head coach at OU(of course if you havent already)

JohnnyMack
1/22/2007, 02:54 PM
I have already heard from a friend of mine who's a poke that Stoops has a handshake deal in place with JJ to take over.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/22/2007, 02:56 PM
Why would JJ fly to okc? why not to westheimer since I assume he has his own private jet? ;)

OklahomaTuba
1/22/2007, 02:58 PM
Word is Bob's already in the Texas Stadium hot tub shooting botox with the jman as we speak.

Hopefully TO didn't bring any snacks this time.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 03:01 PM
Jerry has publicly stated he's not big on bringing a college coach to take over

i guess it doesnt matter that he's said that, people will believe whatever they want

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 03:03 PM

i guess it doesnt matter that he's said that, people will believe whatever they want

I would think thats the case...but when did he publicly say that?

SoonerStormchaser
1/22/2007, 03:03 PM
He says he'll do a much better job than that "lowly" Bob Stoops!:texan: :pop:

snp
1/22/2007, 03:05 PM
Bob's best friend from College Said the only job he'd leave OU for was Dallas

I was told this by a very credible source. Not his best friend, more like an employee.

The_Red_Patriot
1/22/2007, 03:05 PM
already got a call about that an hour ago

"Stoops is leaving and taking Mike Stoops with him"

hahahahahhah

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 03:06 PM
in an interview, they were just discussing it on the ticket

he thinks the learning curve is too great for a college coach to come in and be successful immediately at the pro level

he didnt say emphatically he would never hire a college coach, just that he wasnt real sold on the idea

StuIsTheMan
1/22/2007, 03:12 PM
here is the first article I've seen on the subject...
http://www.theexaminer.com/npps/story.cfm?ID=1256

kinda puts that to rest...Stoops is first on the list

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 03:14 PM
well as much as coaches lie, you just never know

but charlie weiss has said he doesnt want to leave ND until his kid graduates high school, but he's already been in the pro's

pete carroll has been in the pro's as well

Beef
1/22/2007, 03:15 PM
Jimmy and Jerry reunion. Book it.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/22/2007, 03:16 PM

How long has Houston Nutt been at Notre Dame :confused:

arcman46
1/22/2007, 03:17 PM
God I hope Bob doesn't go to the boys for 2 reasons. I am a packer fan, and to have to root for the 'boys would kill me; :D and I would resent them more for stealing our coach from us.:mad:

XingTheRubicon
1/22/2007, 03:18 PM
Jerry has also defended the idea of a college coach making the jump to the pros by citing Jimmah.

sooner518
1/22/2007, 03:18 PM
itd be hilarious to see Stoops try to deal with TO

tru2ou
1/22/2007, 03:23 PM
The Ticket in Dallas is pimping for Stoops already. Bob and Dan have him #1 on the list they are discussing.

- TRU

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 03:27 PM
I was told this by a very credible source. Not his best friend, more like an employee.

Not to dispute the credibility of your source, but I was also told by an employee of OU Football who came in with Bob that the only job he would leave for was Florida Gators..The job has come and gone twice since he said that.

snp
1/22/2007, 03:42 PM
Not to dispute the credibility of your source, but I was also told by an employee of OU Football who came in with Bob that the only job he would leave for was Florida Gators..The job has come and gone twice since he said that.

My source is on the coaching staff. But he even said he wasn't sure if he would for sure leave or not. Just that it would be the most tempting.

proudsoonergal
1/22/2007, 03:42 PM
I'd like to start the Mack-to-Dallas rumor. Why not? He's won a MNC now, and Vince is no longer college-eligible. Perhaps he can trade to get VY from Tennessee. :)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/22/2007, 03:43 PM

From your fine Examiner story...

Names already rumored to the possible list of candidates are Bob Stoops of Oklahoma, Pete Carroll of USC, Charlie Weiss of Notre Dame and Houston Nutt of Notre Dame.

WTF???

tbl
1/22/2007, 03:46 PM
Jimmy and Jerry reunion. Book it.
No way. Jimmy seems to like his life the way it is...

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/upload/2006/07/johnson4.jpg

boomersooner82
1/22/2007, 03:51 PM
I'd like to start the Mack-to-Dallas rumor. Why not? He's won a MNC now, and Vince is no longer college-eligible. Perhaps he can trade to get VY from Tennessee. :)

I want Mack's poor coaching at texas for as long as possible.

Word on the street is Todd Dodge has already left the Mean Green and will be announced as the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys before sundown, making that all-too-common high school to NFL head coaching leap.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/22/2007, 03:54 PM
I remember listening to one of the KC stations last year when Vermeil left and Stoops name came up. The guy there thought Stoops wasn't in the mix for the KC job at that point (which was correct) but he thought the only 2 jobs he though Stoops would seriously consider were the Chiefs and more likely the Dallas Cowboys.

Don't get me wrong, I still doubt he leaves and I'm not even convinced he is one of the 2-3 leading candidates just because the media is speculating but unlike the Florida, Cleveland, Notre Dame, Ohio St and any other job that has come up I don't dismiss this one as fast. I know there are a lot of haters out there but I think the coach for the Dallas Cowboys is the biggest profile one in football.

If nothing else I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't get another raise.

TexasLidig8r
1/22/2007, 03:58 PM
[Gundy] "Pssst.. hey kid. You may as well come to Okie Lite. First, Daddy's gonna be on probation. Second, all the news reports are saying Big Game Bob is going to Dallas. You'd be coached by some guy named Herb. Come here. Hell for you boy, we'll even change the field so you're running north and south instead of east and west." [Gundy]

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 04:01 PM
other than the geographic proximity to dallas......what other draw to the cowboys does Stoops have?

Mac94
1/22/2007, 04:02 PM
You'd be coached by some guy named Herb.

KIRK HERBSREIT IS GONNA LEAVE ESPN AND BECOME THE SOONERS NEXT COACH!?!?!?!?! ;)

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 04:11 PM
other than the geographic proximity to dallas......what other draw to the cowboys does Stoops have?

1. Finally gets try the NFL, which I believe he has publicly said was "interesting"

2. Gets to try NFL on one of highest profile teams in Sports

flopshotjoe99
1/22/2007, 04:16 PM
doesn't Stoops stand to collect a huge bonus at the end of the season?

TheUnnamedSooner
1/22/2007, 04:21 PM

I think it's at the end of 2008

setem
1/22/2007, 04:21 PM
I am not scared that Bob will go to the Cowboys.

Houston Nutt will be our next great football coach and everyone knows the boy can recruit like a mothertrucker. I just hope he will let someone else do the play calling.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 04:34 PM
I think it's at the end of 2008

3 million bucks or something like that.

boomersooner82
1/22/2007, 04:44 PM
My favorite part of Cowboys coaching changes is hearing how great Landry and Johnson were, how bad Gailey and Campo were, and how Switzer (despite his Super Bowl win) is some kind of non-factor because he "inherited Jimmy's team." I hate you Cowboys fans so much.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 04:53 PM
My favorite part of Cowboys coaching changes is hearing how great Landry and Johnson were, how bad Gailey and Campo were, and how Switzer (despite his Super Bowl win) is some kind of non-factor because he "inherited Jimmy's team." I hate you Cowboys fans so much.

Stop listening to the Hardline....dont blame all Cowboy fans for the Anti Switzer sentiment. Remember, Dalllas is in Texas...for a big % of Cowboy Fans, there is a whorns/Anti Sooner Bias

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 05:00 PM
hardline, dale hansen, whatever it takes.......

TXBOOMER
1/22/2007, 05:04 PM
I hope he hires Boo Blake.

yermom
1/22/2007, 05:08 PM

i can't imagine money would have much to do with it...

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 05:09 PM
hardline, dale hansen, whatever it takes.......

: )
yeah Hansen is still bitter cause Barry called him out for reporting rumors and punched him in the arm. I used to love Hansen...now the chip on his shoulder is so ugly that he is unbearable to watch

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 05:16 PM
i've never liked hansen, he's a pompous *** and as unprofessional a reporter as i've ever seen

boomersooner82
1/22/2007, 05:26 PM
Stop listening to the Hardline...

I can't! It sucks me in with it's friendly Cobra sightings and lack of sports talk

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 05:35 PM
I can't! It sucks me in with it's friendly Cobra sightings and lack of sports talk
well..then just ignore Greggo and Rhines...

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 05:40 PM
greggo is the most clueless "sports personality" at 1310.......some of the stuff he spews is just idiotic

cjames317
1/22/2007, 05:57 PM
Stop listening to the Hardline....dont blame all Cowboy fans for the Anti Switzer sentiment. Remember, Dalllas is in Texas...for a big % of Cowboy Fans, there is a whorns/Anti Sooner Bias

I hated the Cowboys until Jerry hired Barry. People always look at me funny when I say that.

sooner-n-ga
1/22/2007, 06:17 PM
that his dream job was coaching the Dallas Cowboys !

Maybe he will get the chance.

SoonerLB
1/22/2007, 07:33 PM
I don't see Stoops, or any intelligent coach for that matter, wanting any part of a mess that includes both JJ and TO. As far as I'm concerned, Parcells is smart for getting out!

BudSooner
1/22/2007, 08:41 PM
I cannot believe with all the **** that Jerry has done over the years and thru all the coaching changes...that there are still "Cowboy" fans.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/22/2007, 08:58 PM
I cannot believe with all the **** that Jerry has done over the years and thru all the coaching changes...that there are still "Cowboy" fans.

You take the good with the bad.....3 Superbowls can help soothe a lot...even if it was ten years ago. With Jerry you at the very least you feel like you have a guy who is going to try his best to put a winner on the field.

Besides, the Blue Star is bigger than Jerry...Even he admits that.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 08:58 PM
yeah those 3 super bowls the cowboys won under Jerry were just awful for us fans.......

Collier11
1/22/2007, 09:08 PM
If his hoof heals ok, I heard they might hire Barbaro??

Oldnslo
1/22/2007, 10:47 PM
NICK SABAN!!!!

KingDavid
1/22/2007, 10:59 PM
This just in: Bob Stoops has actually BOUGHT the Dallas Cowboys.

bluedogok
1/22/2007, 11:43 PM
i've never liked hansen, he's a pompous *** and as unprofessional a reporter as i've ever seen
That was my opinion of him when I lived in Dallas from 91-93, it was confirmed when Switzer went to the Cowboys.

I cannot believe with all the **** that Jerry has done over the years and thru all the coaching changes...that there are still "Cowboy" fans.Well, there are still Cardinal fans and they have never won anything and has a team that has traditionally lost more than that and has never had much more than a glimmer of hope of winning. With JJ, at least he wants to win and is willing to spend money to try and win, that is much better than many other sports owners. Glass is trying to run the KC Royals like he is still at Wal-Mart, Bidwell isn't much better and would be down there ie the NFL didn't have a minimum salary limit.

TMcGee86
1/22/2007, 11:59 PM
DMN Blog: Stoops in Dallas Metroplex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stoops spotted in North Texas

Colleague Brandon George passes on news that Oklahoma's Bob Stoops was seen in the area today.
Rivals.com reported that Stoops visited Allen High to see junior WR Dan Buckner, who will be one of the nation's top recruits next year.
Smells like a convenient cover-up to me. Anybody else think Stoops stopped by Valley Ranch while in town?!?

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/

someone on another forum said Fox 4 here in Dallas said they had someone that spotted Jerry Jones and Bob Stoops having dinner.

FTR I think there is absolutely no way Stoops goes to dallas.

goingoneight
1/23/2007, 12:05 AM

What for, to catch Romo's passes?

okienole3
1/23/2007, 12:14 AM
Someone with OU ties will be the next coach in Dallas, but it won't be Bob Stoops.

TMcGee86
1/23/2007, 12:19 AM
Someone with OU ties will be the next coach in Dallas, but it won't be Bob Stoops.

Sexy Rexy?

CrimsonChampion
1/23/2007, 01:08 AM
After saying he would not leave Miami, Nick saban was eventually talked into taking the job at Alabama. I have just learned he has resigned from 'Bama to sign a long term deal with Dallas. I've also heard from close friends of the Saban family say he really doesn't want to leave 'Bama considering he's never coached a down there, but he's starting to enjoy confusing the media and screwing with fans emotions.
:eek:

oumartin
1/23/2007, 03:00 AM
Christ Peterson

SoonerinSouthlake
1/23/2007, 09:40 AM
This just in: Bob Stoops has actually BOUGHT the Dallas Cowboys.

That is ridiculous!

The truth is that if he stays at OU through the 2008 season, he has an incentive clause stating that the University will buy the Cowboys for him. (someone really close to the athletic department told me this)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/23/2007, 09:58 AM
DMN Blog: Stoops in Dallas Metroplex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stoops spotted in North Texas

Colleague Brandon George passes on news that Oklahoma's Bob Stoops was seen in the area today.
Rivals.com reported that Stoops visited Allen High to see junior WR Dan Buckner, who will be one of the nation's top recruits next year.
Smells like a convenient cover-up to me. Anybody else think Stoops stopped by Valley Ranch while in town?!?

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/

someone on another forum said Fox 4 here in Dallas said they had someone that spotted Jerry Jones and Bob Stoops having :eek: .

FTR I think there is absolutely no way Stoops goes to dallas.

I don't think he goes either but the rumors are going to be insufferable.

SoonerStormchaser
1/23/2007, 10:06 AM
I want em to hire HOWARD ***************!

(just to see the "they're gonna make movies about us" spiel one more time)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/23/2007, 11:58 AM
You take the good with the bad.....3 Superbowls can help soothe a lot...even if it was ten years ago. With Jerry you at the very least you feel like you have a guy who is going to try his best to put a winner on the field.

Besides, the Blue Star is bigger than Jerry...Even he admits that.Correct. How would you liike to have Bill Bidwill as your home team's owner?

achiro
1/23/2007, 12:00 PM
Why in the hell did I actually open this thread!?!?!?!:O

JohnnyMack
1/23/2007, 12:04 PM
Why in the hell did I actually open this thread!?!?!?!:O

Simple. You're a sadomasochist.

Proof?

Your job.

This thread.

:D

85sooners
1/23/2007, 12:08 PM
:pop:

cb4ou
1/23/2007, 12:11 PM
Collin on the herd this morning stated that OU is a declining program and why would the Cowboys want Bob.

sooner94
1/23/2007, 12:52 PM
Collin on the herd this morning stated that OU is a declining program and why would the Cowboys want Bob.

With all the disrespect we get from ESPN these days, I really wonder if T Boone wrote them a check for $150 million too.

Sooner Among The Pack
1/23/2007, 01:58 PM
John Clayton of ESPN.com reports this morning that the Titans won't give permission for Jerry Jones to speak with Jeff Fisher.

His list of coaching candidates has only one college coach, who he claims is "the biggest name available".

From ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2739210][/url]

Bill Cowher, former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach: Jones at least has to make the phone call. Wayne Huizenga of the Dolphins contacted Cowher's people and let him know of the Dolphins' interest. Cowher's intention is to sit out the 2007 season and maybe longer. No one expects him to change that position. For the Cowboys to be able to acquire Cowher, they would have to make a trade. The cost probably would be three high draft choices spread over two or three years. Cowher is so good, it could cost a first, a second and a third starting in 2007, but consider this option an incomplete pass.

Jeff Fisher, Tennessee Titans head coach: Forget about it. Bud Adams wouldn't let Fisher out of his contract in 2007 for five draft choices. Plus, he would never let one of the top coaching assets in the NFL go to Dallas when Bud lives in Houston. This one is impossible. The Titans were very clear Monday night. "Dallas has not requested permission to speak to Coach Fisher and in the event they did, there are no circumstances under which permission would be granted," Chief operating office Steve Underwood told The Tennessean in Nashville. (NOTE: Cross Fisher off the list.)

Mike Martz, Detroit Lions offensive coordinator: Jones is on the competition committee and that allows him the chance to get to know a lot of the top coaches. He got to know Martz when the former Rams head coach was on the competition committee. Fresh in Jones' mind is how Martz' Lions breezed through the Cowboys' defense in the regular-season finale with street free agents in the backfield and a converted undrafted safety at wide receiver. Jones knows the value of the quarterback position, and he knows Martz could do good things with Tony Romo.

Wade Phillips, San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator: The Cowboys were a disappointing 3-4 defense last season. Phillips runs one of the best 3-4 schemes in the league. He keeps it simple. He lets playmakers make plays. His blitz schemes aren't complicated. Phillips has head coaching experience in Denver and Buffalo and has been a winner.

Ron Rivera, Chicago Bears defensive coordinator: Jones can't interview Rivera until Feb. 5 -- the day after the Super Bowl -- but Rivera would be an ideal choice. The Steelers thought he was so ready to be a head coach that they were willing to give him a second interview had the Bears lost Sunday. Then it would have been Rivera going against Mike Tomlin of the Vikings. When the Bears had the fourth-quarter lead, the Steelers made their formal offer to Tomlin and made him their coach. The problem of waiting until Feb. 5, though, is the difficulty of getting a great staff together.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma Sooners head coach: No, this isn't a repeat of the Barry Switzer scenario. It's going to take a lot more convincing to get Stoops to leave Oklahoma. Stoops would be the biggest name available for the Cowboys. As a defensive-oriented coach, Stoops could do good things with the talent assembled by Parcells. The problem is getting Stoops out of Oklahoma. Money won't be a problem. Jones could pay him $4.5 million to $5 million a year. The problem is college coaches without NFL experience struggle and often fail. Of course, Jerry did have success with Switzer and Jimmy Johnson.

Jim Mora, Seattle Seahawks assistant head coach: Mora is pretty well settled after accepting the assistant head coaching position with the Seahawks on Sunday. It gave him a chance to return to Seattle, where he went to college. It also gave him a chance to work with Mike Holmgren. Mora took the Falcons to the NFC Championship Game in his first season as head coach and at least deserves to be on any list.

Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach: The Tony Dungy coaching tree is a pretty good one. Dungy is facing his former assistant Lovie Smith in the Super Bowl. Caldwell was active in a lot of job interviews after the regular season ended. He is a solid person and a good coach.

Mike Zimmer, Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator: One of the bad parts of Parcells' late decision is that the Cowboys didn't have a chance to retain Zimmer. Parcells was going to go a different direction and probably give Todd Bowles the job if he returned. Jerry Jones always has liked Zimmer, who is more of a 4-3 coach, but he learned the 3-4 working for Parcells. He knows the talent and could be of service.

Norv Turner, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator: Turner made a big mistake trying to bail out the Raiders a couple of years ago, but it allowed him to return to the Bay Area to live and work. The 49ers gave him a chance to coach offense and not move, and Turner and his family liked that. It's hard for coaches to get three chances at head coaching jobs and Turner's already been a head coach with the Redskins and the Raiders. Jones likes Turner and rightfully so. When Troy Aikman was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Turner was the presenter. He meant a lot to Aikman and the Cowboys, but Jones would have to do some convincing for Turner to take one more chance at head coaching. He has a playoff team brewing with Mike Nolan in San Francisco.

Mike Sherman, Houston Texans offensive coordinator: The former Packers coach gained a lot of praise for his help in maturing the Texans' running game even though it didn't have much running talent. Sherman has been active in several head coaching searches. He has a good offensive mind and is very organized. Plus, he was a playoff regular when he was with the Packers.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Sooner in Tampa
1/23/2007, 02:05 PM
These coaching threads are always so much fun. :D

Socrefbek
1/23/2007, 03:52 PM
Lovie Smith will leave the Bears to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

You heard it here first! :texan:

OUinFLA
1/23/2007, 04:18 PM
These coaching threads are always so much fun. :D

Im thinkin I'll go boating for a few days.
You in?

Sooner in Tampa
1/23/2007, 04:42 PM
Im thinkin I'll go boating for a few days.
You in?

IN!!!!!:D

okienole3
1/23/2007, 09:19 PM
Sexy Rexy?

No, he also has Cowboys ties.........and Saints.

XingTheRubicon
1/24/2007, 02:12 PM
Gary Gibbs?

okienole3
1/25/2007, 05:02 PM
Gary Gibbs?

http://dallascowboys.com/

SPEK?

soonerndn
1/25/2007, 05:15 PM
I vote for Billy Bates.

85sooners
2/5/2007, 12:32 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: WELL

sooner94
2/5/2007, 02:53 PM
Rumor has it Norv Turner is the favorite now. I'm crossing my fingers for "Samarai" Mike Singletary.

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 02:54 PM
Yuck.

mdklatt
2/5/2007, 03:01 PM
Bill Cowher--make it happen Jerry Jones!

Collier11
2/5/2007, 04:05 PM
Bill Cowher--make it happen Jerry Jones!

can he bring the chin and the spit with him?

mdklatt
2/5/2007, 04:14 PM
can he bring the chin and the spit with him?

The Chin...I like it. If things go well it could take its place in the Ring of Honor along with The Hat. :texan: