PDA

View Full Version : Parcells Resigns

GrapevineSooner
1/22/2007, 12:17 PM
Good.

Norm on the Ticket just said that with all the assistants having already left, it would not have been good for Parcells to fill coaches as stop gaps only to leave once his contract was up.

Time to find a new coach.

colleyvillesooner
1/22/2007, 12:22 PM
Stoops will be on his list. I doubt he offers Stoops, but his name will probably come up.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 12:23 PM
yay! (to parcells being gone, not Stoops being on the list)

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2007, 12:24 PM
Who would be a good fit there now?

colleyvillesooner
1/22/2007, 12:25 PM
Nobody likes making a Splash like Jerry, and what would the bigger splash be. Just getting an up and coming OC/DC somewhere, or hiring a great college coach with a great record, a big name nationally and is known locally.

Again, I don't think (and hope :D) that he offers Stoops, but if he did, I don't think Stoops could turn it down.

man would it **** off all the whorns who are cowboys fans :D

GrapevineSooner
1/22/2007, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't mind Norv Turner. So long as Jerry learns from the mistakes of Al Davis and Danny Boy Snyder and lets the man do what he needs to do.

mojohornfan
1/22/2007, 12:45 PM
I don't think Stoops could turn it down.

man would it **** off all the whorns who are cowboys fans :D

Nope!

I'm not sure though, that Stoops would make a good NFL coach. He's great at what he already does. LIke Carroll!

Mjcpr
1/22/2007, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't mind Norv Turner. So long as Jerry learns from the mistakes of Al Davis and Danny Boy Snyder and lets the man do what he needs to do.

No way.

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2007, 01:56 PM
Maybe Jerry Glanville wouldn't mind coaching again.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 02:00 PM
hmm, the guys on the ticket are seriously tossing around the name of Jeff Fischer from the Titans.....i'd be happy with a hire like that

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2007, 02:02 PM
I've always like Fischer. He might benefit from new scenery.

Mjcpr
1/22/2007, 02:06 PM
I seem to remember Fisher getting a contract extension. I wouldn't be willing to part with draft picks to get him.

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2007, 02:08 PM
I seem to remember Fisher getting a contract extension. I wouldn't be willing to part with draft picks to get him.
I told Jerry not to ask you.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 02:09 PM
it will be interesting to see if this is a chan gailey type hire or a parcells type hire

colleyvillesooner
1/22/2007, 02:15 PM
You know he wants to announce a new coach during Super Bowl week.

Boomer.....
1/22/2007, 02:16 PM
I would personally like to thank GS for posting this topic in the right forum.

BTW, I don't think Stoops is going anywhere.

Boarder
1/24/2007, 05:00 PM
Stoops already said no.

How about mr wonderful's reaction to the press. shakes head

I like the possible Jason Garrett as OC hire. I always thought of Jason as a smart Heupel type. I think Norv Turner would be a Chan Gaileyish disaster hire. Great coordinator, bad head coach.

If they don't get rid of owens, it doesn't matter who they get. If he could run off Parcells, how would anyone else fare?

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 05:04 PM
TO did NOT run Parcells off

my understanding is that the Jason Garrett deal would mean Wade Phillips is probably our new head coach as it was supposed to be a package deal

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 05:05 PM
No one can win in Oakland, and the Redkins have been to just as many playoff games after Norv as they went to with him I believe I heard. I don't think he would be a disaster. I am still hoping for something a little more though.

I don't think TO played a factor in this at all. That is toal medai spin cause it's a good story. Parcells handled that enigma just fine this year. I think the local rumors are true, he went to the table asking for more money and an extension, jones said no, so he said I'm out. To me, the plans he made for going to the Senior bowl and such speak to the abrupt decision change.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 05:07 PM
there was a great interview with Peter King on the musers the other morning, King has an inside with Parcells that nobody else in the media does....

TO was not an issue for Bill

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 05:09 PM
there was a great interview with Peter King on the musers the other morning, King has an inside with Parcells that nobody else in the media does....

King said that Tony Romo would start WAY earlier than anyone else. Like, stupid early. He has that inside line.

Boarder
1/24/2007, 05:51 PM
So you think Parcells would have retired if owens was gone? I don't think so.

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 05:52 PM
If Jerry still wouldn't have given him what he wanted, yeah.

I truly believe he walked into Jerry's office with an attitude of, "I could stand do this for one more year, but if I do I want some more money out of it. If he says no, I'll just retire. Win-Win."

And if the cowboys hire someone awesome, it's win-win-win, and that's the best thing possible in conflict resolution. :D

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 05:54 PM
if you're axeing me if TO had anything to do with Parcells retiring, i'm telling you i believe it did not

not in the least...

Boarder
1/24/2007, 05:54 PM

Bill wouldn't have come out and said it in an interview because he's not a piece of crap like owens. but, i firmly believe he was a reason. Maybe not the only one, but a reason. And I don't think it would have happened if owens was gone or if Jerry had made it clear he would be gone.

Boarder
1/24/2007, 05:56 PM
Why would you believe that? You see this whole year how it looked like Bill was just wearing down from having to deal with everything? He would never admit it in the public that one person had so much over him. But, it was easy to tell.

And you can't possibly be supporting owens after this year.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 05:57 PM
ok, again.....you can make it what you want, more than likely because you hate TO

but i'm telling you that Peter King quoted Bill Parcells on the issue and it had ZILCH to do with his retirement

he told King that TO was not a distraction in the locker room, nor for Parcells as a coach........the media down here did everything they could to make every fart TO ever let go a major story......Parcells even told the media they were being played by him

we'll just have to agree to disagree......

Boarder
1/24/2007, 05:58 PM
If Jerry refused to give him what he wanted I think Jerry is pretty stupid. But, I have that thought over some of his personell decisions anyway.

colleyvillesooner
I don't support Owens or his antics, but as long as he is a Cowboy, I'll hope he does good on the field. I could take him or leave him.

jk the sooner fan
King explained that he's been coaching for over 40 years and he's just ready to move into the next phase of his life..he's a baseball freak and will probably spend time hanging out with Tony LaRussa and the Cardinals....he's built a new house in Sarasota, NY that he never gets to use.....he's friggin 70 years old...of course he's going to wear down from the grind of the game

i could be dead wrong, he might come out in due time and say "that damn TO pushed me out of the game"

but i doubt it

Boarder
1/24/2007, 05:59 PM
If Bill came out and said, "yes, owens was a major reason I left" he would look like a weenie and that would be totally against his public persona. He would never show that kind of weakness.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 05:59 PM
i dont think it had anything to do with a new deal or money either....if it did, I dont think the entire Cowboy organization would be as shocked at Parcells decision as they were

i think he just was ready to retire...he's old!

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 06:00 PM
If Jerry refused to give him what he wanted I think Jerry is pretty stupid. But, I have that thought over some of his personell decisions anyway.

Maybe Jerry was at the same point, but just the opposite. Maybe he thought "I could stand Tuna around for one more year, but I'm not gonna give him a raise."

New Coach this year, no TO after next year. Then are you happy? :D

I hope we get a good receiver in the draft or free agency, cause TO and Glenn ain't getting any younger.

Boarder
1/24/2007, 06:01 PM
He isn't a Cowboy. Saying that is like spitting in the face of Bob Lilly and Roger Staubach. You should be ashamed and go wash your hands. He's signed to a contract with the team but that's about it.

You owe Bob Lilly an apology.

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 06:02 PM
Okay, he plays for the Cowboys. Better?

And I don't owe Bob Lilly ****. Dude owes me 5 bucks! ;)

Can I spit in Emmitt's face?

Boarder
1/24/2007, 06:03 PM
No way, he should have kept Bill around to wait out Bill Cowher's one year retirement. This next year is going to be a throwaway. Wade Phillips? YIKES!

Boarder
1/24/2007, 06:04 PM
You should give Bob Lilly 5 bucks to be in the same room as him. BOW DOWN!

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 06:04 PM
That was my dream scenario if Parcells stayed. Me like some Cowher.

Boarder
1/24/2007, 06:05 PM
They (the Cowboys) are getting ragged on on ESPN radio right now, btw.

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 06:06 PM
They (the Cowboys) are getting ragged on on ESPN radio right now, btw.

ESPN Radio blows. Hard.

Boarder
1/24/2007, 06:09 PM
No they don't. They're smart. Dallas radio blows.

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 06:13 PM
No they don't. They're smart. Dallas ESPN radio blows.

Fixed. I don't think we listen to the same ESPN radio do we? You don't get Randy "good for nothing waste of oxygen" Galloway in the afternoons do you?

Boarder
1/24/2007, 06:24 PM
No, I listen to ESPN on Sirius. I get Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick, and Erik Kusilias. Although Erik left to host a tv show and they have differen tpeople now. John Seibel has been subbing most of the time.

It's nice, they talk from a national unbiased view. Most of the time they have been ragging on Michael Vick for being so stupid.

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 06:32 PM
Consider yourself lucky. :D

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 06:48 PM
i really think we're going to get a spare coach this year and the next, then Jones will wait till that marquee name coach is available...and ready to open the new stadium with

Boarder
1/24/2007, 06:56 PM
That's what really irks me. With Parcells, there would have been a chance of doing good next year (without owens of course). Now, it's let's suck money for nothing out of our fans for however many years until the stadium gets built.

GrapevineSooner
1/24/2007, 10:14 PM
No, I listen to ESPN on Sirius. I get Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick, and Erik Kusilias. Although Erik left to host a tv show and they have differen tpeople now. John Seibel has been subbing most of the time.

It sucks, they talk from a East Coast biased view. Most of the time they have been ragging on Michael Vick for being so stupid.

Fixed. ;)

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 11:30 PM
Looks like Garrett is hired, in some fashion. NO way he's the head coach. He's only been a coach of any kind for two years. He'll run the O and either Wade of Norv will be the HC most likely. Could be worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741032

According to knowledgeable sources, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has decided to hire Jason Garrett at least to be Dallas' offensive coordinator -- and possibly to be the successor to retired head coach Bill Parcells.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder on Wednesday night that Jones considers Garrett -- a former backup to quarterback Troy Aikman -- to be one of the most promising offensive coaches in the league and was so determined to bring him back to the Cowboys organization that he would have been added to Parcells' staff had Parcells decided to coach the final year of his contract.

Instead, Parcells stepped down Monday after four seasons with the Cowboys, ending a 19-year coaching tenure that included two Super Bowl champoinships with the New York Giants.

Jones must decide by Thursday whether to hire Garrett as offensive coordinator because the Miami Dolphins set a deadline for the Cowboys to hire their quarterbacks coach when granting the Cowboys permission to interview Garrett.

The Cowboys could appoint Garrett offensive coordinator to secure his services while eliminating the Dolphins from the equation. Then Jones could deliberate whether to appoint him as the head coach later after interviews with other head-coaching candidates, primarily San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips or San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

Ultimately, Jones must decide whether he's willing to sign a veteran coach to a three- or four-year contract to allow Garrett to gain experience as a play-caller before eventually promoting him to the top job. Or, Jones may decide he's willing to endure the risk of immediately putting a talented Cowboys team in Garrett's hands now.

Garrett spent the last two seasons coaching Miami's quarterbacks. He played for the Cowboys from 1993-99, appearing in 23 games (nine starts). He also played for the Giants, Tampa Bay and Miami. Garrett retired in 2004.

Garrett's father, Jim, was a longtime scout for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys haven't had an offensive coordinator since Maruice Carthon served in that role under Parcells in 2004. This season, assistant head coach Tony Sparano coached running backs and the offensive line and receivers coach Todd Haley was the passing game coordinator.

Jones earlier this week spoke to Sparano, Haley and secondary coach Todd Bowles, a candidate to replace Mike Zimmer as defensive coordinator, about the head coaching job.

Phillips, who was in Mobile scouting Senior Bowl practices, said he hadn't heard from anybody yet, including the Cowboys.

"If it's true, we'll just go on with the process and see what happens," Phillips told The Associated Press by telephone. "I've got a great job where I am and a great football team. I wasn't looking for anything, but I've always wanted to do what I can do as a head coach, and Dallas is certainly a premier job."

The Cowboys have declared that finding the coaches who can develop young Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo is a point of emphasis in replacing Parcells.

Information from ESPN's Ed Werder and The Associated Press was used in this report.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 11:31 PM
so the new incoming head coach doesnt get to pick his own o-coordinator?

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 11:42 PM

That's why I bet it's either Wade or Norv. They way the talking heads have been, well, talking, they'd be fine with him.

There's more already going on than we know I bet.

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2007, 11:53 PM
Great, Sportscenter is rolling with the TO made Bill leave angle too. Yeah.

And they're saying there is a lot of speculation that The Boys might not excersie his option. Really? Cause everything I have heard was it's a done deal he's coming back.

Boarder
1/25/2007, 12:51 AM
EIther Cowherd or Kusilius is from Seattle. They are totally unbiased and rag on everyone equally, I promise.

How many done deals have been undone in the past?

The whole thing is totally unravelling. They go from possible Super Bowl team to "we'll hire an OC and then a figurehead coach for a couple of years while the OC gets experience." IS THAT SERIOUS? They expect people to go with that logic? That's freaking insane. I'd love to see Garrett be the next Payton, but come on. They're putting a band aid on a broken arm. ANd I know, I've seen it before in the 80's and 90's with coaches and personell. It's starting all over.

Boarder
1/25/2007, 12:53 AM
Seriously, the thought of Wade Phillips makes me sick to my stomach. Any of you remember watching Bills games? He looked like a deer in the headlights out there.

DOOM AND GLOOM! DOOM AND GLOOM!

Mjcpr
1/25/2007, 08:32 AM
Good thing you won't have to suffer with us since you don't watch them or root for them anymore. :D

I was afraid of getting stuck with Wade Phillips or Norv Turner. But that was the problem when this started so late.....there weren't many marquee names out there. And yes, it seems odd the new coach wouldn't get to hire his own OC wich tells me we're getting a retread that will take what Dallas gives him and like it.

Maybe they'll wait for Rivera and let him run the D, I don't know. Probably not somethinig a supposed "rising star" would get himself into.

Boarder
1/25/2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I've suffered more than all of you combined so I'm due for a break.

The more I look at it the crazier it is. Look what Jones is doing. He's saying that he is the ultimate authority. Whoever the coach is will have no power. If you don't like what the coach does, go to Jerry.

You know what Dallas is heading to? The Raiders. Two years and they'll have a top five draft pick where they'll take a defensive tackle or something.

JohnnyMack
1/25/2007, 02:21 PM

Or his own players since he won't be the GM either.

Good times.

colleyvillesooner
1/25/2007, 05:02 PM
well, well, well. Lookie who we have here:

Cowboys to interview Gibbs

02:20 PM CST on Thursday, January 25, 2007

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

IRVING – The Cowboys' head coaching search is expanding, but the new name is a familiar one.

The Cowboys received permission to talk with New Orleans assistant coach Gary Gibbs, who served as the club's linebackers coach from 2002 to '04. Gibbs has head coaching experience, replacing Barry Switzer as Oklahoma's head coach in 1989.

Gary Gibbs is the Saints' defensive coordinator. In six seasons with the Sooners, Gibbs, 54, had a 44-23-2 record. He served as defensive coordinator at Georgia (2000) and LSU (2001) before coming to the Cowboys.

Shortly after being named New Orleans' head coach after three seasons with the Cowboys, Sean Payton hired Gibbs as his defensive coordinator. A year after finishing 3-13, the Saints won the NFC South and advanced to the conference championship game, losing to Chicago.

New Orleans finished ranked 11th defensively (23rd vs. the rush, third vs. the pass) with a unit without much star power. Gibbs, a Beaumont, Texas, native, has experience in the 4-3 and 3-4 schemes.

He is the sixth different coach to be contacted about the Cowboys' opening, joining assistants Tony Sparano, Todd Haley and Todd Bowles, Miami quarterbacks coach Jason Garrett, who will be hired Thursday by the team in some capacity, and San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

tulsaoilerfan
1/25/2007, 07:21 PM
Gibbs in Dallas probably wouldn't be that bad; he did much better at OU, considering what he had to overcome, than what he is given credit for.

Mjcpr
1/30/2007, 08:58 AM
So it's starting to look like this:

Norv Turner - HC
Jason Garrett - OC
Mike Singletary - DC? (some are speculating)

Meh.

Nice Jerry Rice quote I found from DC.com - “Norv (Turner, then-coach of the Raiders) was never really head coach material … He couldn’t control the players and guys like Charles Woodson walked all over him. Woodson routinely showed up for practice and meetings when he felt like it, along with some teammates.”

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2007, 09:48 AM
I'm sure TO won't do that. :D

GrapevineSooner
1/30/2007, 10:43 AM
Singletary interviewing today.

I have to admit his name makes my football pants go slightly crazy.

JohnnyMack
2/1/2007, 01:42 PM
i really think we're going to get a spare coach this year and the next, then Jones will wait till that marquee name coach is available...and ready to open the new stadium with

With the Norv Turner talk heating up I think you're right.

Mjcpr
2/5/2007, 08:43 AM
I'm afraid we're going to get stuck with Norv.