PDA

View Full Version : Let there be RAGE!

KC//CRIMSON
1/22/2007, 12:13 PM
Rage Against The Machine Reuniting To Headline Coachella: Report:cool:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/LPG/51411~Rage-Against-The-Machine-Posters.jpg

In addition to its always eclectic, star-studded lineup, the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival has established a reputation for frequently landing the hotly sought return of a major indie-rock figurehead. According to a report in the Los Angeles Times, this year's major coup is a reunion of thrashing political rockers Rage Against the Machine, who have not played together for seven years. The band is expected to get together for a one-off headlining show at the eighth edition of the three-day festival, which they last played in 1999.

Also reportedly joining Rage on the bill are Coachella veterans the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who headlined in 2003, as well as Björk, who played in 2002. Though organizers have not officially announced a lineup for the festival, which runs from April 27-29 in Indio, California, the Times reported that other bands expected to perform include the Arcade Fire, Interpol, the Roots, the Decemberists, Arctic Monkeys, Sonic Youth, Kings of Leon, Willie Nelson, Air and a reunited Crowded House. Three-day passes for the fest will run about $250, with tickets going on sale Saturday.

In the history of unlikely reunions that have launched on the stages at Coachella — among them Detroit garage-punk icons the Stooges and modern-rock godheads the Pixies — the reported reunion of Rage is among the least expected.

The group splintered in 2000 (see "Zack Leaves Rage Against The Machine"), with guitarist Tom Morello, bassist Tim Commerford and drummer Brad Wilk joining former Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell in the group Audioslave while vocalist/rapper Zack de la Rocha all but disappeared from the music scene. Though de la Rocha has sporadically appeared at public events and recorded songs with DJ Shadow, Saul Williams and Blackalicious, his long-rumored solo album has yet to surface and he has made few public statements since the dissolution of Rage.

This report is provided by MTV News

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1550424/20070122/rage_against_the_machine.jhtml

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2007, 12:17 PM
Everyone should listen to a little RATM every now and then.

ousoonerfan
1/22/2007, 02:22 PM
Everyone should listen to a little RATM every now and then.

**** you, I won't do whatcha tell me! ;)

Jerk
1/22/2007, 02:24 PM
Good commie propaganda. They're making millions, too!

KC//CRIMSON
1/22/2007, 02:31 PM
Bulls on Parade!

Dio
1/22/2007, 02:44 PM
Good commie propaganda. They're making millions, too!

I bet they've never set one of their fat checks from Sony on fire to stick it to The Man. That said, they did RAWK!

tbl
1/22/2007, 02:51 PM
I personally like Audioslave better than Rage. Hopefully this isn't a permanent deal. The split was really stupid, since it was supposedly all over political differences. Dude! You're a freaking rock and roll band! You don't split over political differences, especially when you're all a bunch of commies anyway. I guess Zack was either more/less commie than the other 3.

It'll be hard to top the Coachella where the Pixies reunited and Radiohead were headlining. Greatness...

colleyvillesooner
1/22/2007, 04:06 PM
in

KC//CRIMSON
1/22/2007, 04:11 PM
The worst RATM cd > The best Audioslave cd.

imo.

StoopTroup
1/22/2007, 04:39 PM
The worst RATM cd > The best Audioslave cd.

imo.
Agreed.

I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun....

NormanPride
1/22/2007, 05:21 PM
Audioslave is like the corporate-vanilla boyband version of RATM. I had no idea those guys were even capable of sounding that bad. Kind of sad, really.

Jerk
1/22/2007, 06:00 PM
I gotta pocket full of shells!

Hey, I can make my own now!

W00t!!!!

Jerk
1/22/2007, 06:01 PM
Agreed.

I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun....

I have to admit, when I hear that song, I want to grab my 12 guage and go shoot rich people....F*ck the man! Power to da people!

StoopTroup
1/22/2007, 06:55 PM
I have to admit, when I hear that song, I want to grab my 12 guage and go shoot rich people....F*ck the man! Power to da people!
I'm glad your off the meds now. ;)

soonerboomer93
1/22/2007, 07:29 PM
One time tried to come in my home take my chrome
I said yo its on. take cover son or youre assed out
How do you like my chrome then I watched the rookie pass out
Didnt have to blast him but I did any way, young punk had to pay
So I just killed a man

Jerk
1/22/2007, 09:35 PM
I'm glad your off the meds now. ;)

What meds? What $#%#!@#%^@!ing meds. I'm not crazy! You hear me! It's all of you. All of you are @#$%@#$ing crazy!

soonerboomer93
1/22/2007, 11:30 PM
bat ****

proud gonzo
1/22/2007, 11:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6di0naUJP0

Mongo
1/23/2007, 12:00 AM
I love music. I really dont care what kind of crap that spews out of the mic. Rage was great instrumental wise, but I could do without that fool screeching his voice and ruining Morello and Co.'s sweet music.

Jerk
1/23/2007, 07:58 AM
nevermind...

KC//CRIMSON
1/25/2007, 10:50 AM
Mem'ries..........

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20749&highlight=norms+band

KC//CRIMSON
2/15/2007, 06:28 PM
Chris Cornell Talks Audioslave Split, Nixes Soundgarden Reunion

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1552582/20070215/audioslave.jhtml

sooneron
2/15/2007, 06:36 PM
I love music. I really dont care what kind of crap that spews out of the mic. Rage was great instrumental wise, but I could do without that fool screeching his voice and ruining Morello and Co.'s sweet music.
I sorta agree with this sentiment. I always felt that Zack brought them down, yet, lent them their sound.

KC//CRIMSON
2/15/2007, 06:40 PM
I like Zack's voice. He's got RAGE!

sooneron
2/15/2007, 06:42 PM
When is the next music appreciation thread?

KC//CRIMSON
4/30/2007, 08:59 AM
Rage Against The Machine's Ferocious Reunion Caps Coachella's Final Night

Rage capture their original fire onstage; Roots, Against Me!, Willie Nelson also got political at the desert fest.

INDIO, California — For the first time since the inaugural Coachella in 1999, the Machine was Raged Against, and damn it felt good. So good we can almost forgive Zach de la Rocha for his disappearing act through the past
half-decade.

Of the 124 acts that performed at Coachella this year, one mattered a little more than all the others, and that was the reunited Rage Against the Machine, who headlined the final of three days with a set just as ferocious as guitarist Tom Morello promised.

The Los Angeles nü-metal pioneers had said they shockingly got back together because the current political environment needs them (see "Nightwatchman, Rage Reunion Have Morello Fired Up For Political Fights") — and there was clearly no doubt Sunday just how, well, enraged Rage are about what's going in the world, particularly in Iraq.

Although de la Rocha said virtually nothing between songs, one tirade in the middle of "Wake Up" said it all. "Our current administration needs to be tried, hung and shot," the singer boldly stated. "We need to treat them like the war criminals they are."

Rage Against the Machine proved they clearly have not lost their stride, and were all the more impressive considering the Coachella Stage lineup before them — Willie Nelson, Crowded House and Manu Chao — did very little to warm up the crowd. And when Rage finally hit the stage with "Testify," they battled a muffled sound system for the first three songs. (Perhaps their popular Battle of Coachella T-shirts proved prophetic.)

Still, the band was on, like they just got off an arena tour. De la Rocha's snapping vocals were as passionate and crisp and ever, and Morello's guitar antics gave the songs just the bit of newness they needed. Playing most of their debut album along with the hits from their other three LPs, Rage stirred up the kind of testosterone not usually associated with Coachella. (The Lemonheads, for instance, were playing simultaneously nearby.)

When Coachella launched in 1999, it was just weeks after the third Woodstock, which ended disastrously in a massive riot. Although many of the acts were the same (including Rage), the palm-tree setting and far-stretching eclecticism gave it a different vibe, a mellower, desert version of Woodstock.

While Coachella's vibe hasn't changed over the years, Sunday's show felt as much like Woodstock as it ever has, mainly due to the politics.

Aside from Rage, the Roots also strongly protested the war in Iraq in words and song, including an epic 15-minute-plus version of Bob Dylan's "Masters of War" which they began by singing the anti-establishment lyrics to the melody of the national anthem.

Against Me!, the Coup and even old Willie Nelson also got in on the fun, which gave the Kaiser Chiefs' set-stealing version of "I Predict a Riot" a new meaning.

Of course, it wasn't all anti-this, anti-that — just ask the dudes in the bear masks (that would be the Teddybears, of course), who were having a hell of a time turning the Gobi Tent into a dance-athon.

There's always a few tent bands who steal some of the talk from outdoor stages (Bloc Party two years ago, Gnarls Barkley last year) and this year both of those came on Sunday, with the Teddybears and the Klaxons, another dance-friendly band but with a British punk twist. Get both those records now and brag later.

Other highlights included early Coachella Stage performers Explosions in the Sky, whose instrumental, landscape-painting rock (fans of "Friday Night Lights" should know their music well) was the perfect soundtrack for an hour of basking under the scorching afternoon sun.

Instrumental music actually popped up a few times, with the Roots jamming on dozens of hip-hop favorites, both old ("Push It") and new ("This Is Why I'm Hot"), and both Ratatat and Air opening with vocal-less numbers. Unfortunately, with the latter taking the stage 30 minutes behind schedule, an instrumental song just created a further disconnect.

Early in the day, Lily Allen and the Kooks (think Dogs Die in Hot Cars with a better name) lived up to their buzz, the Junior Boys and Soulwax gave very different treatments to synthesizer-driven rock and José Gonzáles and Damien Rice proved louder isn't always better.

But when the dust settled, (actually the dust probably never settles in these parts), there was definitely a loudness in the air, captured in a little mantra that goes "F--- you, I won't do what you tell me." And it feels good.

Check out "Amy Winehouse Tests Tent Limits, Bjork Previews Weird Timbaland Tracks As Coachella Kicks Off" and "Chili Peppers, Arcade Fire Rock Out To Sweltering Fans; Travis Pray For Rain On Coachella Day Two" to see what went down in the desert on Friday and Saturday.

This report is provided by MTV News