PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Schedule

Desert Sapper
1/22/2007, 12:09 PM
I wonder what everybody's thoughts are about OUr schedule for next year.

Here's how I see it.

North Texas should (better) be a cake walk. It's in Norman and that dude from Southlake Carroll (Todd Dodge) that everybody is talking about is in his first year. I don't think he'll turn the corner with them until his third year, if ever (it is UNT, after all).

At least we get Miami in Norman. This team was not as bad as their record. They lost to a Florida State team that struggled, lost four straight down the stretch and almost lost to Nevada in the MPC Bowl, but the talent is definitely there. Randy Shannon is going to right this ship fast, IMO. He was a great DC. Their D will be awesome with 8 returning starters. DT Kareem Brown and CB Brandon Meriweather were seniors and LB Jon Beason declared early. They have playmakers and talent across the board, including DE Calais Campbell, LB Tavares Gooden, and Kenny Phillips and Glenn Sharpe in the secondary. Patrick Nix (former Auburn QB) was a pretty good OC at Georgia Tech, and he will get 8 starters back on the O. Only WR Darnell Jenkins and C Anthony Wollschlager were seniors, and only TE Greg Olsen left early. Kyle Wright will be a senior QB, Javarris James (little brother of Edgerrin) is the next great Miami RB, and they get 4 of their 5 OL starters back (sound familiar?). This will be OUr litmus test, and it will be a huge game.

Utah State only won 1 game last year, and got obliterated in most of the games they played. We get them in Norman.

Tulsa has a new coaching staff. We get to see our former signee, Courtney Tennial, in action. This shouldn't be too hard even if we have to travel all the way to Tulsa for the game.

I don't like that we play Colorado the week before saxet. I think CU will be much better this year (Dan Hawkins second year) than they were last year, and we have to go to Boulder to play them. They have 8 returning on O and 6 on D. Yes, they lost to a Div IAA team last year. Yes, they only went 2-10. I saw fire in that team when we played them in Norman last year, and it scares me. Hawkins is an offensive genius. This team will be good soon. It's scary that we have to go to Boulder. Lest we forget, we were clinging to a TD lead with 2 minutes left in 2003 (the bestest team evar) -- the last time we visited them -- after not having beat them in Boulder since 1988 -- before JW hit Mark Clayton on a 59 yard TD to seal it. It's about twice as scary that we have to play them the week before saxet. It could give us trouble with one, the other, or both. Yikes.

Saxet is always a tough game (except when we get up early and they quit). QB Colt McCoy, RB Jamaal Charles, WR Limas Sweed, WR Billy Pittman, WR Quan Cosby, OT Tony Hills, OT Adam Ulatoski, and TE Jermichael Finley all return on O. Losing Blalock, Sendlein, and Studdard on the Line will hurt them -- hopefully really bad. On D they lose Crowder and Robison on the edges, and all but Marcus Griffin in the secondary. The bad news is that they have very competent ends and talented DBs to replace the graduating seniors and they get their entire depth back at the tackles and the LBs.

We get Mizzou in Norman, which is good, because they get 9 back on O and 7 back on D. We will have our work cut out for us with QB Chase Daniel and RB Tony Temple now a Junior and Senior respectively.

We travel to Ames to face Iowa State, now coached by Gene Chizik. Their D will improve, but not this year. Their O loses all but QB Bret Meyer, WR Todd Blythe, and G Tom Schmeling. That translates to the D being on the field a lot. Which translates into being good for us.

We get osu in Norman. They lose two OL, WR D'Juan Woods, and their D-Line. They will probably be good, but homefield advantage is always a big factor in this game.

We get aTm in Norman. Their O returns 9. Their D returns 6, thanks to Jason Jack going pro. Losing him, Justin Warren, and Melvin Bullitt will sting a little on D. See osu and the homefield advantage bit.

We get Baylor in Norman. This is a much nicer schedule than last season. They have 6 on O (including Szymanksi, their QB at the end of the year) and 7 on D returning. Losing Sepulveda will hurt them.

Which brings us to Tech and a trip to Lubbock. Hopefully we will be on a tear by then, so the officiating won't matter. They only return 4 on O and 4 on D (now that Brock Stratton has declared).

Right now, I am concerned about Miami, Colorado, and Texas. Depending on the QB situation, those could be very dangerous games. The rest looks pretty manageable. We only have 4 true away games, which is great. I'm going to say the worst is possibly 9-3, but more likely 10-2 or 11-1 (maybe 12-0?) heading to the Big XII CCG at the Alamodome. What are your thoughts?

OUmillenium
1/22/2007, 12:20 PM
Love that schedule for us. Good points and evaluations. All depends on our QB, playcalling, and if the D lives up to its potential. Great chance to go undefeated in reg season if we get by Tex and Tx Tech, IMO. Colorado will be tough if they break out the creativity on offense, but remember we lose Lewis Baker so our D should be greatly improved.

soonerlaw
1/22/2007, 12:35 PM
I just can't wait to see us play Miami in Norman. That is going to be a great matchup.

Desert Sapper
1/22/2007, 12:36 PM
Love that schedule for us. Good points and evaluations. All depends on our QB, playcalling, and if the D lives up to its potential. Great chance to go undefeated in reg season if we get by Tex and Tx Tech, IMO. Colorado will be tough if they break out the creativity on offense, but remember we lose Lewis Baker so our D should be greatly improved.

Since when do we lose Lewis Baker?

TheUnnamedSooner
1/22/2007, 12:42 PM
I think aTm is going to be much tougher than what everyone is giving them credit for.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/22/2007, 01:16 PM
3 of our non-conference will be bringing in first year coaches and the other will be bringing in a second year coach. I don't see out ooc games being that tough.

Desert Sapper
1/22/2007, 01:19 PM
I think aTm is going to be much tougher than what everyone is giving them credit for.

I agree. They and osu will be our toughest home games after Miami. McGee could give us fits, Bennett is going to be good at TE, Goodson is one of the best runners in the Big XII, and their D is pretty good even after all the losses. I certainly don't expect it to be 77-0. I just hope we can establish the QB early and be rolling before November when they come to town. The last time we lost in Norman to the Aggies was 1997, when they spanked our butts and laughed at us. We're 10-2 in Norman against them. Okie Lite, on the other hand, kept us out of the Big XII CCG in 2001 by beating us. We've lost less games in Stoolwater to the aggies than in Norman. We can never take them lightly.

SoonerStormchaser
1/22/2007, 01:22 PM
Glenn Sharpe? He's still around?

He was the victim of the worst EVAR pass interference call (prior to Eugene) in the 2003 Luckeyes game!

sooner518
1/22/2007, 02:04 PM
geez seems like all of our tough games are in Norman this year. Im likin it.

I should be at the CU game with all those damn hippies in Boulder. Hopefully I wont get pelted too hard with marshmallows

Mac94
1/22/2007, 03:55 PM
Five to ten the Oklahoma State game is moved back to the saturday after Thanksgiving ... again. The Big-12 is wanting to put more games on that weekend so I'd expect ya'lls game with the Pokes and the Kansas-Missouri games to be moved like the past few years.

OU and Miami play the second saturday of September and the following weekend Texas A&M will play Miami in the Orange Bowl. Those two weekends could give us some idea of how A&M and OU might match up.

boomersooner82
1/22/2007, 04:46 PM
geez seems like all of our tough games are in Norman this year. Im likin it.

I should be at the CU game with all those damn hippies in Boulder. Hopefully I wont get pelted too hard with marshmallow-coated batteries

fixed

MI Sooner
1/22/2007, 09:13 PM
One thing to remember is that you often lose games you're favored to win, even games you're favored to win by a lot. If we're favored in 10 games and 2 are toss-ups, it doesn't mean we should go 11-1.

What percentage of the time does a 14 point favorite lose? I'm guessing 15%. That means you could be a substantial favorite in every game, and still go 10-2, or worse. I'm not sure of this, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that Vegas has never placed a >50% probability on a team going undefeated.

BudSooner
1/22/2007, 09:35 PM
I don't expect Tulsa to be a cake walk, Graham will have them ready to play and with Paul Smith still on campus with Tennial it should be a good game.
Didn't Idris Moss declare for the draft or is he going to be back this year?

goingoneight
1/23/2007, 01:02 AM
(P)UNT, likely a shut-out. If not a shut out, look for (P)UNT to only captialize on FG's and burn time TD's.
Miami, I LOVE this matchup. First year coach shouldn't effect the outcome. Miami was a very young team that was poorly managed in 2006. With due apologies to Larry Coker, you had it coming after that mess of a season. The talent is there and Shannon produced one of the hardest hitting defenses I've seen in his time there. The D will be stout, most likely frustrating for OUr young QB. Look for a quick game, as Bob will likely crawl into a true I-formation running game to shorten this game. As in less than ten passing attemps. As long as OUr running game is churning, I like us in this one at home, as Miami has no one worth metnioning on offense.

Utah State, come on... when did DeLoss Dodds take over OUr scheduling practices? See: North Texas game. The great thing about this game is the oppurtunity to experiment with the young guns under center. This could be a great exhibition game to make you feel good about your inexperienced players like Middle Tennessee was in 2006.

Tulsa, Tulsa, Tulsa. Great hires in my humble opinion, but Krag's 2006 senior class was devastating to this teams hopes at anything better than 6-6 under a new coach. Paul Smith is great under pressure, he has good receivers, but Oklahoma will be in a situation to pick him a lot, as the running game only boasts Tennial. I really like Tennial, he's a good kid, but he's not All-Day, and he'll get tired if they try to force the run against OUr big athletes we always have up front. Tulsa may jump out early, but this game will likely go just as the last two did against them, the strength in major D-1 athletes will take over in the second half, if they haven't rolled them already.

Colorado, not so scared as you might think I am. This team is balls-out defensive, but their weakness lies in the secondary. Look for deep play action passes if Kelly and Co. are ready to help a brother out under center. The narrowest this victory looks to be is a two TD OU favorite.

Texass, this game is a huge mystery to me. While many people don't think the whorns have "it," I do. I honestly feel that Colt McCoy is going to be a star before he exits. That kid is just like Josh Heupel in my opinion. But he has the size and natural athletic ability Josh didn't. Make no mistake, I said "like" Josh, I never said better. This kid is field smart, accurate and a great leader. This game is super scary, as I feel Texas can win any high-scoring shootout with their offense. Losing OL only hurts in schools where you don't have a small country of 300-370 Lb. guys drooling at the oppurtunity to play for you. Texass OL will be second to only Oklahoma's veteran OL in the BIG 12, and will be very tough for OU's young guns up front to penetrate and put pressure on a kid who has already shown the blitz doesn't scare him. Look at how many times we blitzed that kid as a freshman and we never once forced him to make a mistake. Was there even so much as a tipped pass in last year's game? OU's only shot in this game is to have all the pieces of the puzzle come together quickly. They need security at the QB position, and they need to manage the clock with the runnign game. I feel that Bob Stoops will be fine in this game. I'm more confident in OUr chances here than I was in OUr Holiday Bowl and Orange Bowl 2001 chances, and we seemed to do alright there. OU's offense is a gold mine of richly talented backs, receivers, and a solid brick wall up front. If Halzle or Bradford can manage ther game without turning the ball over more than twice, OU can definitely win based on defense.

Pinkel is still coaching Mizzou, and last I checked, the second coming of Jesus in Columbia lost in double digits to OU at home. Welcome to Norman, Chase... OU big after big Texas win or tough Texas loss. Either way, Bob Stoops' teams have never had the Texas hangover. In fact, some of their greater performances have been following big rivalries.

Gene Chizik could be the next Les Miles. Trying on his schemes at a lower-tier college program and ripping off stunning upsets along the way. Bret Meyer was the only guy I thought of as a "threat" at ISU the last few years and we've pwn3d him just fine. OU not big, but solid 10-14 point win.

aTm, has everyone lost their minds?!?! Why do people keep ranking Texas A&M anywhere but at the stool of the top 40? They had to resort to playing four sisters of the poor teams in 2006 just to get to a bowl game. The Texas win was an offensive anemia with Fran sticking to the dinosaur option, scoring a whopping 12 points against a Texas team whose star quarterback was never really healthy enough to suit up. Don't get me wrong, I love to see Texas get the bad karma for all the **** they say to us from time to time, but aTm's only *win* worth mentioning in 2006 was followed by one of the mot embarassing BIG 12 bowl performances of the season. DENNIS FRANCHIONE IS STILL COACHING aTm, FOLKS!!! OU will roll by 28 or more at home.

Baylor, interchangeable homecoming game with aTm, if we can beat them solidly in 2006 after turning the ball over, what, five times? IN WACO??? Yeah, we'll beat them like orange-headed step children.

Texas Tech in Lubbock? Will Mike Leach finally put up big numbers against Bob? Or will the heavy losses on O finally take a toll on this as always one-dimensional team? No running threat, no defense, total lack of special teams. OU 28 to 35, TT 17 to 21 Points will definitely be scored. I hear that new horseshoe-shaped endzone is pretty tough on visiting opponents, however...

Alas, Okie Light. They'll likely be on cloud nine after rolling up four cake walk victories in non-conferense and maybe two to three wins in conference, but they'll still be Texas' bitch, and Pirate bait by the time they roll into a real stadium. Oh wait, they'll play in Collie Station, too... my bad. Orange Power = oxymoron. OU solid, possibly a blowout.

Texas game depends on the BIG 12 Title as always, and not even Jeebus knows who's challenging for the North in 2007. Could be Ron Prince, could be Hillbillyhan, could be Pinkel. How cool would it be to play the fightin' Manginos there? Probably not as cool as an OU/NU rematch, though.

Yes, folks... regular season is likely a double-digit winning season again, Miami will be the earliest indicator of what OUr QB's can do, and Texass will decide whether we go from Dallas to Pheonix/New Orleans/San Diego, or just roundtrip back to Dallas to play Akie or Auburn in the CB.

goingoneight
1/29/2007, 02:00 AM
bump*

SoonersEnFuego
1/29/2007, 09:10 AM
By the way, not important but, Javarris James is Edge's cousin, not brother.
Carry on...

Desert Sapper
1/30/2007, 11:32 AM
By the way, not important but, Javarris James is Edge's cousin, not brother.
Carry on...

Oops. :O He's definitely worth mentioning, though. He was pretty good as a true freshman, and Kyle Wright is a passable QB who will be a senior. I think their O will be better than we might give credit for. They return some serious talent, and they will have GT's old OC this year under Shannon.

landrun
1/30/2007, 11:42 AM
Miami will be tough. :(

So will Texas and aTm.

But I'm personally looking forward to #8 next year. :)

LittleWingSooner
1/30/2007, 11:46 AM
Miami, Texas, A&M, Mizzou, and Tech will be tough games.

Desert Sapper
1/30/2007, 12:22 PM
I'm not so sure the Tech game will be tough. They have their starting QB and RB back (and Danny Amendola), but both of their lines are taking some big hits, they lose their two best LBs (Session and Stratton), and they lose two of the best receivers in the league (Filani and Johnson). They won't be better than they were this year (they will probably be worse judging by all the losses), and we would have beat them in Lubbock this past year, too.

H8HOGS
1/30/2007, 01:13 PM
At least we get Miami in Norman. This team was not as bad as their record. They lost to a Florida State team that struggled, lost four straight down the stretch and almost lost to Nevada in the MPC Bowl, but the talent is definitely there. Randy Shannon is going to right this ship fast, IMO. He was a great DC. Their D will be awesome with 8 returning starters. DT Kareem Brown and CB Brandon Meriweather were seniors and LB Jon Beason declared early. They have playmakers and talent across the board, including DE Calais Campbell, LB Tavares Gooden, and Kenny Phillips and Glenn Sharpe in the secondary. Patrick Nix (former Auburn QB) was a pretty good OC at Georgia Tech, and he will get 8 starters back on the O. Only WR Darnell Jenkins and C Anthony Wollschlager were seniors, and only TE Greg Olsen left early. Kyle Wright will be a senior QB, Javarris James (little brother of Edgerrin) is the next great Miami RB, and they get 4 of their 5 OL starters back (sound familiar?). This will be OUr litmus test, and it will be a huge game.

James is the cousin of Edge. Jenkins is applying for a medical redshirt and the QB spot is a 50/50 split right now as to whom will start. Also during the losing we were without about 6 starters including Kenny Phillips who is our best defensive player.

Yes Glenn Sharpe the same person that got robbed on the bogus interference call against OFU in the Fiesta Bowl is still here. But then again if we had won that game we probably wouldn't have been able to sh1tcan LLLLLLarry.

There were games down the stretch last year with 3 true freshman starting on offense. Fox, Shields, and JJ.

Can't wait for the game. I plan on being in Norman. My ticket order book should be here in a couple weeks.

LittleWingSooner
1/30/2007, 01:21 PM
They just plug in receivers there. They never have had a good defense there. It'll be tough to win in Lubbock.