PDA

View Full Version : Our New Offense for 2007.....

Blues1
1/22/2007, 02:16 AM
OK - With AD gone Do we Still Play a bunch in The Deep I....??

With all the new offense wrinkles we've seen this last season from other schools - Direct snaps - West Virigina offense - Florida Offense - Single Wing Plays - Trick Plays - Etc....Are we in need of some Change ..?? - Are we too predictable.. ?? - Have we Played out our Cards on what we've been doing..??

I know it's hard to argue with a 11 and 3 record (12 and 2) - Just seems to me we need to upgrade to something a little more - whatever that is ....??

42 points in Bowl game pretty damn good - But 44 would have been a lot Better.....

Your Thoughts....

Still R'

Collier11
1/22/2007, 03:15 AM
My thoughts arent that we need to change anything, we just need to be more creative with what we already have. We have the skill guys on offense to put up a lot of points even with a new qb. We need to keep teams guessing, that is the best way IMO to keep them from loading up the box with 8 or 9 guys and to protect our new qb.

yermom
1/22/2007, 03:51 AM
how about not fumbling the ball?

we were dead last in Division I-A in fumbles lost

how the **** did we win the Big 12 and go 11-3?

Readyfor8
1/22/2007, 05:47 AM
Our defense is young and we should rely on it heavily in 2007 if we hope to remain competitive. As such, I think a deep I is still very important to this philosophy.

The better we manage the clock with sustained drives, and strong a strong running game the better we can control what other offenses can do to us. I think we will have the best secondary in the BigXII next year, and our front 7 will still be able to control our opponents running games, so managing the clock with a run heavy offense is important.

That coupled with the fact that we will have a new quarterback, tends to lend itself heavily toward a heavy run orriented offense. AP in the backfeild and a strong cast behind him in backups with a stronger cast in front of him on the line will do alot to managing how many points are scored against us.

This was KW first year, and I expect to see him more able to change this year with an ever changing offensive playbook as he can bring in his own system. I can't fricken wait.

AlbqSooner
1/22/2007, 07:21 AM
With only a month to do so before the season, KW structured an offense to fit Paul Thompson's strengths, tweaking it along the way. Hopefully he will have more time than that to determine who his QB is going to be and structure his offense accordingly. I liked his results with Thompson.

LittleWingSooner
1/22/2007, 09:00 AM
I think we will still run the ball most of the time. That's the way Stoops wants it. He wants an offense that controls the clock and he wants the defense to dominate teams.

sooneron
1/22/2007, 10:07 AM
With only a month to do so before the season, KW structured an offense to fit Paul Thompson's strengths, tweaking it along the way. Hopefully he will have more time than that to determine who his QB is going to be and structure his offense accordingly. I liked his results with Thompson.
I agree and REALLY hope that the qb is decided in April.

OUmillenium
1/22/2007, 12:15 PM
Expect opponents to know exactly what we are running. We will have very little if any creativity per the last 4 years. If we get up by 10 it will be 2 handoffs and a pass play(but not to the TE). Hope we have an all-time great defense, we'll need it.

Vanilla O, here we come!

starrca23
1/22/2007, 12:33 PM
For some reason I think we will be a little more creative, and maybe try somethings to get more playmakers invovled more often. Just a hunch and no fact to back it up.

MojoRisen
1/22/2007, 02:14 PM
With the recievers and the Oline- I would think that we should throw the ball downfield and mix it up too the point of scoring 35 a game.... I think PT had a great year but if you think about it- I am sure they were concerned about certain throws because paul would let the ball sail on him maybe more than you would think... Our offense should be a lot more dynamic and dangerous than this year... As well there is no way even with throwing caution to the wind and letting the first year QB throw all over the field will we turn the ball over as much as we did this year.... When you think about it - that really says a lot about our Dfense... I am looking foward too several more wrinkles and I would caution Stoops not to control the clock and win games by less than 6 points... I would not call it luck but you would have to figure that we could have easily lost more games last year going 3 out late in the game.

JohnnyMack
1/22/2007, 02:17 PM

Why do you hate Jamelle Holieway?

Seamus
1/22/2007, 02:39 PM
d00d, Jammin' never fumbled -- those were bounce passes! :D

lcaldwell1
1/23/2007, 02:32 AM
I wish that we would run some plays like they did in the fiesta bowl where they put peterson in motion...but I want them to run this with demarco murray...he just seems like that kind of player

Collier11
1/23/2007, 02:38 AM
I really hope that Murray turns out to be as good as we all think he will be. My question is with patrick as the starter this coming year, you figure Brown and Murray will touches and likely be the starters the next year, and if we get Creer, what do we do with madu? Wideout, corner, safety, stay at running back???

SoonerTerry
1/23/2007, 03:02 AM
OK

Your Thoughts....

Still R'

I'd like a beer and to see somethin neked.......

yermom
1/23/2007, 03:27 AM
I really hope that Murray turns out to be as good as we all think he will be. My question is with patrick as the starter this coming year, you figure Brown and Murray will touches and likely be the starters the next year, and if we get Creer, what do we do with madu? Wideout, corner, safety, stay at running back???

you never know with the way we have gone through the depth chart at RB in the last couple years

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/23/2007, 08:02 AM
Wishbone! Zaslaw at the fullback and AP and Chris Brown as the tailbacks

setem
1/23/2007, 01:03 PM
With what we have coming back on the O-line and Joe John, Gresh and Eldridge all back at TE. We need to run the 3 headed moster more often! We were racking up the yeards with that formation. Rush or pass its a goodern!

kevpks
1/23/2007, 01:10 PM
We just need to use the whole playbook since we will have a QB that goes through a whole spring and summer as the QB.

LittleWingSooner
1/23/2007, 02:03 PM
I don't really care if the other team knows our plays every play. I think that's just kinda dumb to worry about. What worries me about the trend our offense has taken is that there is too many wasted plays. It seems like too many times we run it up the middle for no reason at all and it gives us nothing. It just runs clock. I doubt we change on offense that much. We're going to have competition between 3 QBs so it gives them no time to learn the offense.

Collier11
1/23/2007, 02:19 PM
We're going to have competition between 3 QBs so it gives them no time to learn the offense.

That is why I think it is ESSENTIAL to pick a qb after spring so he has time to get ready. ANy time we have tried to name a qb in august it doesnt seem to work too well

MojoRisen
1/23/2007, 02:36 PM
That is why I think it is ESSENTIAL to pick a qb after spring so he has time to get ready. ANy time we have tried to name a qb in august it doesnt seem to work too well

I had a buddy who coached at Tulsa back in the 90s- one time they found East Carolina's Playbook on the field after a practice- needless too say they spanked them by 30+... You didn't hear it from me- but I would think it is better to keep the defense on their toes especially with all the big time play guys we got that can take it too the house on a moments notice...

SleestakSooner
1/23/2007, 02:48 PM
I don't really care if the other team knows our plays every play. I think that's just kinda dumb to worry about. What worries me about the trend our offense has taken is that there is too many wasted plays. It seems like too many times we run it up the middle for no reason at all and it gives us nothing. It just runs clock. I doubt we change on offense that much. We're going to have competition between 3 QBs so it gives them no time to learn the offense.

Huh? One of those glass is always half empty types I guess.

Anyhow, since we have 5 quarterbacks, 5 Nimmo, John (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2470&ATCLID=648668&Q_SEASON=2006) QB 6-1 190 So. Ponca City, Okla. (Ponca City HS) 14 Bradford, Sam (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2470&ATCLID=507444&Q_SEASON=2006) QB 6-5 197 So. Oklahoma City, Okla. (Putnam City North HS) Keith Nichol (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=41235) http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif 5.9 6-2/195/4.68 Lowell, MI 16 McEachern, Hays (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2470&ATCLID=157250&Q_SEASON=2006) QB 5-11 180 Jr. Austin, Texas (Austin HS) 15 Halzle, Joey (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2470&ATCLID=235863&Q_SEASON=2006) QB 6-3 198 Jr. Huntington Beach, Calif. (Golden West CC) I think this would be a great time for Wilson to use his whole playbook, make them all try to learn it and see which one of them learns his system the best and can carry it out.

Blues1
1/23/2007, 05:31 PM
With all the Talent WE have at Running Back - I'd Like to see a 2 halfback offense.....Anybody else besides me remember or saw that play in the Fiesta bowl were AD & AP were in the backfield at the same time...?? - and AP ran for about 20 yards IF I remember correctly....??
Or was I dreaming...???

East Coast Bias
1/23/2007, 05:31 PM
With all the RB's we have with mad skills, why don't we use a 2-back set like we did some in the bowl game and use play action more? Murray could be the other back. We don't seem to need TE's anyway? That would give a check down to the QB on every play and more varied run and pass.

LittleWingSooner
1/23/2007, 06:41 PM
I don't really care about glass half empty or half full. I just look at a situation realistically. And looking at it I don't see a QB winning the job in the spring because it would be unfair to any newcomer. That would mean Nichol is going to redshirt because you can't just give him a spring to get a shot to win a job.

But also you have 3 guys sharing snaps with the first team. That's hard to give anyone the job in the spring. It'll be late in the fall before we find out who wins the job. And I also believe the coaches want a conservative offense.

stoopified
1/23/2007, 07:19 PM

how the **** did we win the Big 12 and go 12-2?Fixed.That is a very good question!The simple answer is we had good coaches and talent that overcame OUr shortcomings in all but 2 games.Overcoming the stupidity of the replay system is altogether another story.:(

LittleWingSooner
1/23/2007, 09:11 PM
I blame our defense more then the replay. If the defense showed up against Oregon we win that game easily.

TXBOOMER
1/23/2007, 10:37 PM
Id like to quit running the I and start running the BS. The BS stands for bull s*** or Boise State (one in the same). Can you imagine if OUr superior athletes and superior coaches ran that offense. We could beat anybody. :)

Blues1
1/23/2007, 11:15 PM
Id like to quit running the I and start running the BS. The BS stands for bull s*** or Boise State (one in the same). Can you imagine if OUr superior athletes and superior coaches ran that offense. We could beat anybody. :)

Boise State IMHO - Did show some offense wrinkles maybe we should Look at -- I'm not talking only trick plays - but just their basic offense -

One thing that bugged me in the fiesta bowl about our offense was after calliing a play in the huddle we go to line of scrimage and then turned to side lines looking for another offensive play call from the coaches - seem to take forever --- If we are going to do that Why not just line up in formation and forget the Huddle....??? -Many times we just barely got the play off before the clock expired...Seems to me we maybe out smarted ourselves -

OR --- Call the play in huddle and breakout super fast and hit them before they know what happened....once again JMHO....!! (The old Bud Wilkinson Trick)

Rock on...

goingoneight
1/23/2007, 11:20 PM

I've heard from none other than Al Eschback that Mossis Madu is an excellent fullback. I don't really know how he sizes up, but I've seen him pass block, I've seen him makes some very acrobatic catches, and he dominates in YAC. Sounds good, since Zaslaw and Clapp kept finding new and innovative ways to trip and fall when they were wide open.

goingoneight
1/23/2007, 11:22 PM
I blame our defense more then the replay. If the defense showed up against Oregon we win that game easily.

Well, it goes both ways, but the D got better and made up for their f***ups, Gordon Reise smiled all the way to the bank.

Collier11
1/23/2007, 11:25 PM
I've heard from none other than Al Eschback that Mossis Madu is an excellent fullback.

The guy is 5-11 190, he would have to add 30-50 lbs I would think. That would be hard without losing his quickness and agility dont ya think??

Blues1
1/23/2007, 11:26 PM
Gordon Reise smiled all the way to the bank.

Thats the last thing I needed to hear......:(

But I forgive you...... :)

OUmillenium
1/24/2007, 01:14 AM

That would be a fun wrinkle if we just did it one series every game to test the defense and give teams a little more to prepare for.

Yeah!!

OUmillenium
1/24/2007, 01:20 AM

Yes, that is exactly right. No Chuck Long in the mix this year. Don't you think Wilson will have a little more say/desire in picking a QB and getting to work? I do.

I'm not for running a lot of trick plays, but I do think we need diversity and deception. These things were greatly lacking the last few years. Credit our players for their toughness and execution in succeeding while the other team is lined up knowing what we are running.

On the flip side, you can credit the coaching staff for keeping it simple for PT to step back in at QB and win the Big 12. Just depends on how you look at it.

Love to win baby, let's find a way and make it happen.

Ground_Attack
1/24/2007, 09:13 PM

Tell me that isn't NickZepp!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

MojoRisen
1/24/2007, 09:18 PM
On the flip side, you can credit the coaching staff for keeping it simple for PT to step back in at QB and win the Big 12. Just depends on how you look at it.

Love to win baby, let's find a way and make it happen.[/QUOTE]

Defense / Defense= Defense not too offend anyone but let's go ahead and evolve and play offense.... Scoring is defiinitely an important stat.... we should attack and we could be even stronger! I would rather be on the attack than the defense realing and wondering if we could have run a reverse for 85 yards....

LittleWingSooner
1/25/2007, 10:34 AM
I would rather have an attacking offense too. But I'm not that picky. I would rather have a defense that dominates all the time and a conservative offense that usually wins a lot of games. We could be like we were in 1997 and have a bad offense and a bad defense.

St. Louis Sooner
1/25/2007, 11:06 AM
With all the Talent WE have at Running Back - I'd Like to see a 2 halfback offense.....Anybody else besides me remember or saw that play in the Fiesta bowl were AD & AP were in the backfield at the same time...?? - and AP ran for about 20 yards IF I remember correctly....??
Or was I dreaming...???

------------------

I agree with blues and ECB here. We have a wealth of talent at RB, and it would be a great 'tact' to have additional weapons in the backfield to attempt to take some pressure off the new QB ... whomever that may be. Also, this will allow KW to be more creative than in recent years, AND since he's already done it a little (meaning Bob has given it his approval) in the fiesta ... maybe the way is clear for KW to implement it next year?!!

LittleWingSooner
1/25/2007, 11:13 AM
I remember watching the NW offense when Wilson was there. He rarely used 2 backs then. Why would he use it now? You may see him use a back as a slot guy like he did with AD and AP some in the Boise game but that formation wasn't really that effective most of the game anyway.

The offense he ran at NW was more shotgun oriented. I think we can expect to see that more. But with the physical talent we have on the line we'll still run a ton more then we pass it.

St. Louis Sooner
1/25/2007, 11:16 AM
I really would love to see the offense open up next season. We never really dominated opponents on the scoreboard last year, and I'm starting to wonder if college football is beyond the days where a dominant defense can be truly dominant no matter what offense it faces. It seems teams must have kick a** players/strategies on both sides of the ball to be in the title hunt.

St. Louis Sooner
1/25/2007, 11:25 AM
My perfect world would be an RB on each side of the QB while he is in the shotgun, with threats of draws, passes in the flats, misdirections, and screens up the middle. If the RBs are good blockers, they'll be able to pick up blitzes too to give the QB more time ... giving him more confidence too. Our new QB HAS to be an effective passer, and this may be the best formation to get our QB established (in the minds of DCs everywhere) as a passing threat.

LittleWingSooner
1/25/2007, 11:34 AM
I don't know if 2 backs are any more effective then any offense. Who uses a 2 back offense? You may see teams use more then 1 back. But look at the Saints in the NFL. They never had 2 backs in the backfield and they have 2 really great backs. They would put on of their backs in the slot at times and run fake reverses. But that wasn't even a major part of the offense.

The 2 or 3 back offense are pretty much obsolete.

Blues1
1/25/2007, 12:02 PM
I don't know if 2 backs are any more effective then any offense. Who uses a 2 back offense? You may see teams use more then 1 back. But look at the Saints in the NFL. They never had 2 backs in the backfield and they have 2 really great backs. They would put on of their backs in the slot at times and run fake reverses. But that wasn't even a major part of the offense.

The 2 or 3 back offense are pretty much obsolete.

Don't Tell West Virgina that a Two Backs don't work....... :)

starrca23
1/25/2007, 12:32 PM
It all comes full circle. Eventually two back will come back into vouge.

setem
1/25/2007, 12:32 PM
What I dont understand is as fast as PT is why did we never use the Run/Pass-Option?

OU Adonis
1/25/2007, 02:30 PM

Zaslaw is too slow to be a wishbone fullback.

LittleWingSooner
1/25/2007, 02:44 PM
What I dont understand is as fast as PT is why did we never use the Run/Pass-Option?

He's got decent speed but he's not a side to side runner which is what you need for an option.

illinisooner
1/25/2007, 10:02 PM

PT didn't have what you'd call "moves", he was more of a straight ahead runner without much vision (look at his runs, designed or scrambles and you'll see what I mean). IMHO he never looked that comfortable running the option, and neither did Peterson. Although as I recall, the option did get us a TD at Baylor and Mizzou.

TripleOption14
1/26/2007, 12:16 PM
The offense won't change/be more creative because of the QB situation. In order to be more "creative" and do crazy sets and formations a coaching staff has to have supreme confidence in a QB!! The coaching won't have that in any of the guys (unless something CRAZY happens) you can bank on that. As someone else said... the coaching staff is gonna rely HEAVILY on the D next year.

FaninAma
1/26/2007, 12:31 PM
Stretch the field vertically with our WR's and get our tight ends matched up against LB's and hit them in the seams. We did this a few times and had some really postive plays including early in the Texas game.

Why KW didn't go back to Finley a lot in the Texas game is still a mystery to me.

The offense is still too predictable. The defense had to hold on by it's fingernails in too many games and you can't expect them to do it every game.

LittleWingSooner
1/26/2007, 12:33 PM
I don't get why we don't use our TEs like Boise did. In short yardage situations it seemed like Boise always converted a pass to their 6-1 TE(Shooman) we have 4 TEs that are at least 6-5.

goingoneight
1/29/2007, 01:51 AM
OU has such a mix of youth and inexperience in their offensive system that they just workhorsed their guys who could effectively pick up yards and first downs here and there. When you get a guy like AD and even AP, who did surprisingly well in AD's absence, people study film and they realize exactly what your O can and/or cannot do. For OU in 2005, they were breaking in true freshmen all across the board, had a head-case under center, a lazy OL to start the season, and injuries began to pile up. Unfortunately, that doesn't spell Ninja formation for anyone. Neither does losing a designated staring QB and having to move PT back from WR. Add the loss of AD, the countless dropped passes, and the natural evolution of the college game to the power-I offense just like the NFL. It wins games effectively by wearing an opponent's team and the clock down. It may be late in the season before we really turn it on next year, unless we have a phenominal first-year performance by OUr starting QB, ala Josh Heupel, Colt McCoy, John David Booty, etc. In todays game, you're offensive attack is only as good as your main man at QB, no matter which way you look at it.

St. Louis Sooner
1/29/2007, 02:42 PM
I agree that our O isn't going to be very creative next year. The QB situation is too unresolved. If one of our QBs steps up ... like said earlier ... we'll have a wonderful surprise on our hands ... AKA Jamielle H.

LittleWingSooner
1/29/2007, 10:58 PM
There's a reason only 1 true freshman has won the NC as the QB. Jamelle was special. There's not many like him. I don't think you can expect that out of a QB on campus

MojoRisen
1/30/2007, 12:47 AM
There's a reason only 1 true freshman has won the NC as the QB. Jamelle was special. There's not many like him. I don't think you can expect that out of a QB on campus

I think people look at raw ability way too much these days- although it is very important with the right coaching to have the best athletes- Keep in mind people like Keith Nichol who started 3 years as Varsity QB - 3 time all state at the position and won a state tittle while posting a 33-3 record...

Too me that spells competitor and someone who has a nack for winning!

LittleWingSooner
1/30/2007, 01:18 AM
That was in high school. There's a difference between high school and college football.

MojoRisen
1/30/2007, 01:24 AM
That was in high school. There's a difference between high school and college football.

No doubt but it still translates- trust me...

insuranceman_22
1/31/2007, 12:13 AM

Very true, but J ran a completly different offense than what's en vogue now. I didn't bother to look it up, but I'd wager heavily that his passing stats would be consider lacking. Although the human "knuckleball" did mightely impress with his feet and option timing. I hate to say this, but I think he and reggie bush were very similiar in style......different positions, but both had awesome moves.

insuranceman_22
1/31/2007, 12:20 AM
Why not line up in the bone for a series? Eldridge at FB, Patrick & Brown at HB's and slip Madu or Murray in at QB? Work it some in practice & see how looks. If they can get the timing down......It'd definately be a surprise the steer's won't be looking for......& just to note it, I'd really like to kick their collective *** this year (saxet)!

LittleWingSooner
1/31/2007, 09:21 AM
The only time you see the bone anymore is in goal line situations

OU Adonis
4/28/2007, 01:45 PM
The only time you see the bone anymore is in goal line situations

Kind of sad really. I wish teams would use it more.

michigan_man
4/29/2007, 01:37 PM
Let me preface this by saying this is coming from an admitted outsider.

I hope Stoops and Heupel are hanging on your every word. It's a little early to start proclaiming the next QB savior of OU football, no QB has had more than a few weeks of taking a starters share of the snaps. It's going to take the off season and most of the fall to sort out and everything will be fine. Thompson was little more than a game manager, had a difficult time making throws and was no great run threat and OU was 11-3. There won't be a huge drop off at that position this year. It seems to me that it's going to be more difficult to replace Adrian Peterson than Paul Thompson.

michigan_man
4/29/2007, 01:38 PM
P.S. Have fun bashing my brains out. I'm looking forward to it.

Shneeg11
4/29/2007, 02:21 PM
P.S. Have fun bashing my brains out. I'm looking forward to it.

I just want to know how? We have already done that.....

Boomerfreakinsooner
4/29/2007, 06:59 PM

I know of at least one fumble we recovered that we did not get credit for. So the stats are skewed. ;o)