PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to Jim Traber and the SA:

goingoneight
1/22/2007, 12:28 AM
Not gonna rip you (this time :D), but the next time your crew rips Bob Stoops for being short with the media, why not consider that Bill Belichik, Tuna, and USCN's beloved Pete Carroll have doen just the same? Not only thse guys in particular.
Again, I know you read OUr boards since you bring us up all the time, I'm just wondering... is it perhaps, okay that Bob Stoops treats a stupid question exactly like what it is? A stupid question? Or a tired subject?
And next time someone says he's rude in any way, look at beloved LaDanian Tomlinson taking cheap shots at the Pats, the media and Bill Belichik. Obviously I don't want nor expect a reply on this board or I would read your blog. Just sayin'... when Fall rolls around and Bob makes an unexpected decision, can we agree that he's won damn near 90% of his games since he was promoted from a Florida defensive coordinator to a high profile program's main man? He may have been short with people at times, but he's never blatantly dishonest, and you don't see him smacking people or worse, kids around on the job ala ESPN's beloved Bob Knight, which I know you are not a fan of.

Just saw Belichick's smirky composure replayed and thought I'd bring up the comparison. BOOMER SOONER!!! :cool:

Ash
1/22/2007, 12:29 AM
his post-game interview was brutal...Belichick, that is.

and I sometimes wonder if Stoops thinks to himself when dealing with media, etc. "Man, I've been here for what 7 or 8 seasons now, and they still don't know how I'm going to respond to that?"

goingoneight
1/22/2007, 12:31 AM
I know it's probably just the local media looking for a story sometimes, but damn... some guys are flat out rude whereas Bob Stoops is rolling his eyes because he has to keep answering the same questions over and over.

8timechamps
1/22/2007, 12:33 AM
The problem is, SA, Traber and all the others ARE THE MEDIA. They are always going to moan and cry about it. They will never be able to look at it from another perspective.

That's the sad truth.

picasso
1/22/2007, 12:34 AM
Stoops is short during the week too. Look, I love the guy but he's not quite as engaging as he used to be.

8timechamps
1/22/2007, 12:36 AM
Stoops is short during the week too. Look, I love the guy but he's not quite as engaging as he used to be.

When I was talking to a parent of one of our D Linemen at the Phoenix airport, he told me that Stoops wasn't going to win any recruits with his personality...it's his ability that does it.

I guess it's natural that it's going to carry over to the media.

Ash
1/22/2007, 12:36 AM

Who cares, though? I don't expect a football coach to be entertaining, I just want results.

some are more charsimatic than others, and it depends on the situation. There were many times during his presser, that Stoops had the whole room laughing.

Besides, how does Traber and the rest of the hacks deal with it when they get callers or emails that ask the same stupid *** question over and over?

How do you, or the rest of us react to the same situation?

picasso
1/22/2007, 12:45 AM
hey I like his attitude most of the time and agree that I'd rather him than a snake oil salesman politico type.

goingoneight
1/22/2007, 12:53 AM
Stoops has always been nice and comical at times, but you **** him off, he fires back. Nothing abnormal there. And believe me, around the end of October, he had plenty of people playing with fire on a short fuse. But beloved New Englan Coach wins-wins-wins and is rude, and classless, and above all very dry with him critics, never getting his due. I guess I'm just wondering why OU's coach and not point out when everyone is "rude" or "short with the media?"

I've never ran into Stoops in a bad mood. I bumped into him Sunday after the TCU loss and he was as nice as he could be. Pretty good considering how 2005 has started off for him at that point. NTM, he was as nice as he could be at the caravan or whatever you call it after Rhomar f***ed us over. There were media and a bunch of stupid rednecks ripping him for almost two whole weeks for getting rid of Bomar, some saying his program was corrupt, some saying he was too harsh, some saying he's being rude when people just wanted answers, etc.

Aries
1/22/2007, 06:45 AM
I hardly ever see full press converences, usually just the sound bytes they play on the news half a dozen times. But my impression has always been that Stoops is polite and likeable, although you can tell he is biting his tongue sometimes before answering some questions. Some of his more "creative" answers strike me as being more witty than rude, though.

Maybe that's just me.

MamaMia
1/22/2007, 09:37 AM
Bob has good days and bad days just like the rest of us.

sooneron
1/22/2007, 09:59 AM
Whereas Traber, has mostly bad.

8timechamps
1/22/2007, 11:06 AM
Whereas Traber, has mostly bad.

He's still bitter that J.T. Snow "stole" his position.

Like he ever had a chance.

Ash
1/22/2007, 11:12 AM
He's still bitter that J.T. Snow "stole" his position.

Like he ever had a chance.

You don't think the shrill voice, uninformed commentary and combativeness were good for broadcasting?

SoonerStormchaser
1/22/2007, 11:38 AM
I give it up...to myself.

SPIT SPIT SPIT!

Hatfield
1/22/2007, 11:41 AM
not answering the medias questions doesn't make one rude or classless.

fwiw

SoonerFaninAZ
1/22/2007, 01:34 PM
...and I sometimes wonder if Stoops thinks to himself when dealing with media, etc. "Man, I've been here for what 7 or 8 seasons now, and they still don't know how I'm going to respond to that?"

I think that's it exactly.

SoonerLB
1/22/2007, 03:03 PM
The key thing to remember is that the media is composed of 93% twits, and 7% totally clueless twits! They stumble and fall all over each other just to get to ask a question, whether it makes any sense or not, so they can say the coach (or player, as the case may be) talked to them. Press conferences these days seem to be about 5% information and 95% waste of everyone's time. The coach or player can make a statement to 100 members of the media, and a 100 different stories come out as a result.

Can you tell yet that I can't stand the media as a whole? LOL!

footballfanatic
1/22/2007, 03:31 PM
I really enjoyed Bill B. comments (or lack of them) to the reporter after the game. The guy was asking him stupid, inane questions, and the coach refused to be baited. He made the guy feel as uncomfortable as he could. It was pretty funny.

fadada1
1/22/2007, 03:51 PM
i can only assume by this nature of goingoneight's initial post, that traber has (yet again) placed his foot into his tonsilar region... and coach stoops called him on it.

i think we are all in agreement here that coach stoops will probably never win any popularity contest with his relationship to the media. as someone already mentioned, it's not my concern as a Sooner fan, OU alumni, and (small) donor that coach stoops "plays nice" with the media. my concern is that he does his job. PERIOD. his job is to embrace young men (some still boys) and teach them about life, school, and football... and WIN FOOTBALL GAMES. any media member that says he hasn't done that better than anyone in the past 8 years should have his/her degree (if they actually have one) revoked, their credentials yanked, and promptly fired.

i had the honor to meet with coach stoops when he first was hired at OU. spent 30 minutes with him (one on one) asking him about sport psychology and his way of coaching (because that's what i was going to get my masters in). i never recorded anything and didn't ask him to sign a football for me (stupid me:D ). he was polite, professional, and seemed very pleased that i would go out of my way to increase my knowledge about someting relating to his profession. i don't know if he would even remember the meeting if you would ask him, but i was more impressed that he took the time to meet with me... a lowly undergraduate.

i always think of that meeting with him when he get's "short" with the likes of lynn swann (asshat) or jim traber, or jim gray, or lee corso, or al eshback, or mike ******, or the likes of pretty much any sport reporter. coach stoops is a pure professional. the only thing he is selling is championships, college degrees, and hopefully good young men.

sooneron
1/22/2007, 04:14 PM
coach stoops is a pure professional. the only thing he is selling is championships, college degrees, and hopefully good young men.
Well then, he needs to quit ****ing spamming me!!:mad:

yermom
1/22/2007, 04:36 PM
Japanese Kick-do! (http://media.putfile.com/jimtraberjapan)

:D

Scott D
1/22/2007, 04:56 PM
really, for amusement sake you should have put your open letter on jimtraber.com

Hatfield
1/22/2007, 05:05 PM
did fadada just say bob is selling young men?

goingoneight
1/23/2007, 12:01 AM

Bob Knight, yes... it's sort of a new and innovative way to abuse young men. :D

Ash
1/23/2007, 12:17 AM
Japanese Kick-do! (http://media.putfile.com/jimtraberjapan)

:D

an all-time classic!

:stunned: :les: :eddie:

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/23/2007, 06:35 AM
Besides, how does Traber and the rest of the hacks deal with it when they get callers or emails that ask the same stupid *** question over and over?

How do you, or the rest of us react to the same situation?

this hits the nail on the head. pot calling kettle. spek.

fadada1
1/23/2007, 09:57 AM
heh. unfortunately, when i bought mine, i thought it would stay young forever - much like a puppy. who knew i would have to start feeding the thing.