PDA

View Full Version : So who is planning on going to the Big 12 Basketball Tournament?

Sooner24
1/21/2007, 11:38 PM
I have rooms at the Renaissance and plan to watch mens and womens basketball for 4 straight days.

Sooner24
1/22/2007, 03:05 PM
I forgot it's just basketball.

OSUAggie
1/22/2007, 03:06 PM
Me.

Jimminy Crimson
1/22/2007, 04:33 PM
I'll be there!

GoState
1/22/2007, 04:53 PM
Sooner24, how long have you had those Renaissance reservations? That's a great location for this. Some friends and I go to all the Big 12 basketball tournaments (and used to attend the Big 8 as well). It's always a great trip filled with wall to wall basketball and we watch every single game. We all have friends and/or family in OKC and one of us lives there (north OKC), but we decided to go ahead and get some rooms so we wouldn't have to mess with getting around every day. But...we waited too long to make reservations and there just aren't any close rooms left.

Do you know if they will allow beer sales at the Ford Center for this year's tournament? There was no beer at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas (except for the club level) for the first time. I don't know if it was a decision by the arena or a mandate by the Big 12.

OSUAggie
1/22/2007, 04:55 PM
Do you know if they will allow beer sales at the Ford Center for this year's tournament? There was no beer at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas (except for the club level) for the first time. I don't know if it was a decision by the arena or a mandate by the Big 12.

Arena staff @ AAC last year said it was "NCAA rules"... They sold beer at the All-College, FWIW.

boomersooner24
1/22/2007, 07:00 PM
I was going to go, but I have a HS baseball tournament to play in...Ahh I'm still ****ed about it

Sooner24
1/23/2007, 12:05 AM
Sooner24, how long have you had those Renaissance reservations? That's a great location for this. Some friends and I go to all the Big 12 basketball tournaments (and used to attend the Big 8 as well). It's always a great trip filled with wall to wall basketball and we watch every single game. We all have friends and/or family in OKC and one of us lives there (north OKC), but we decided to go ahead and get some rooms so we wouldn't have to mess with getting around every day. But...we waited too long to make reservations and there just aren't any close rooms left.

I made the reservations last May.

I have only missed three Big 8/12 Tournaments since the 1984 tournament. We not only go to the mens games but the womens too.

There will be NO beer sales at the Big 12 tournament. The 2005 tournament in Kemper was the last time that beer was to be sold at any Big 12 sponsored event.

Octavian
1/23/2007, 12:08 AM
in

TopDaugIn2000
1/23/2007, 08:09 AM
IN (for the wimmen's)

GoState
1/23/2007, 08:41 AM
I have only missed three Big 8/12 Tournaments since the 1984 tournament. We not only go to the mens games but the womens too.

There will be NO beer sales at the Big 12 tournament. The 2005 tournament in Kemper was the last time that beer was to be sold at any Big 12 sponsored event.

Impressive, grasshopper! That is a ton o' ballgames. I think OKC is going to support this really well.

That sucks about the beer sales. Of all the sporting tournaments I've been to, the crowds at the Big 8/12 basketball tourneys have been the most civil. People enjoy being there and taking in the atmosphere. I just don't think drinking added anything bad to it. The Bricktown businesses will love the rule though...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2007, 08:00 AM
I have tix to the women's games.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/25/2007, 03:15 PM
I'm planning to be there that weekend for the state basketball tournaments; but if we have any local teams involved, I'll be watching them. When I'm not, I'm going to try to catch a Big XII game or two.

Sooner24
3/6/2007, 12:55 AM
Anyone else planning on going? This is going to be a fun weekend even if OU makes an early exit.

soonerboomer93
3/6/2007, 04:16 AM
I'll be there in spirit (if that counts for anything, but dual titles would be a nice b-day gift)

Jeopardude
3/6/2007, 01:09 PM
I was going to go, but I have a HS baseball tournament to play in...Ahh I'm still ****ed about it

Channel that **** offedness into performance, grasshopper, and you will the tournament.

:D

ouradu
3/6/2007, 04:58 PM
Does anyone know what attendence was like at the women's games this afternoon?

Sooner24
3/6/2007, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know what attendence was like at the women's games this afternoon?

I would guess around 3,000 or so but I have not heard. That's usually what the first day is like everywhere when you have the bottom eight playing mens and womens.

SoonerStud615
3/6/2007, 10:49 PM
I'll be there on Thursday

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/7/2007, 07:48 AM
So who all is headed out this evening to see Courtney, et al?

scotplum
3/7/2007, 11:30 AM
I'll be there for all of the men's games and also the OU women's games.

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 12:57 PM
my dad's going, i'd love to but am out of state and starting a new job March 26....much work.

but, i think it will be a good time for a lot of visiting fans....and hope the whole event comes off great for OKC. too bad, with an ironic nod of the hat to Billy Tubbs, that the first time WE get a home court advantage in the conference tournament it will be for a 15-14 team.....

i know you are reading this Brandon.

GoState
3/7/2007, 01:13 PM
too bad, with an ironic nod of the hat to Billy Tubbs, that the first time WE get a home court advantage in the conference tournament it will be for a 15-14 team.....

No doubt. For years, we had to put up with KU/MU getting a pretty big fan boost at Kemper. At least in Dallas, it didn't seem like any one team had a huge advantage. Now that it's in OKC, both OSU and OU had turds of a season...bah!

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 01:55 PM
No doubt. For years, we had to put up with KU/MU getting a pretty big fan boost at Kemper. At least in Dallas, it didn't seem like any one team had a huge advantage. Now that it's in OKC, both OSU and OU had turds of a season...bah!

i think your fans will still show for your game. the arena will be empty for the 11 o clock game.

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 01:57 PM
all those "miracle" Norm Stewart runs they like to talk about on Tigerboard.....nothing but a homecourt. and Jim Bain.

the worst Kemper memory is known to all.

GoState
3/7/2007, 04:29 PM
Jim Bain? Wasn't he a ref? Yeah, Mizzou had some crazy good runs back in the day. Stormin' Norman.

I have to miss the first two games tomorrow, but will be there for the remainder of the tourney. Here's hoping that OSU & OU serve up a big ol' crapburger to the rest of the conference and go a little further than everyone (including me) expects us to.

Sooner24
3/7/2007, 05:58 PM

Iowa State always had more fans in KC than Missouri. I only missed one Big 8 tournament from 1984-1996 and by far ISU fans took over KC.

OSUAggie
3/7/2007, 10:20 PM
Iowa State always had more fans in KC than Missouri. I only missed one Big 8 tournament from 1984-1996 and by far ISU fans took over KC.

Correct... Mizzou's fans were not as prevelant as ISU and KU fans. Mizzou was more on the level of Nebraska (during the glory days of Nee) as far as actually showing up for the game. Colorado and K-State fans were virtual no-shows. OU fans showed up en mass if they made it to Saturday with a legit shot to advance.

I didn't make it to any tourneys in the 80s, but that's how it was post-1990.