PDA

View Full Version : Computer drawing hardware/software help

8timechamps
1/21/2007, 09:12 PM
Any of you folks that are experts in computer drawing, can you give me some input regarding good hardware/software.

I am looking for a tablet and software, and have no idea where to start. It would be for graphic design use, and doesn't need to be the best of the best, unless you feel there is a big difference in quality.

Thanks!

soonerboomer93
1/21/2007, 09:30 PM
software, i haven't a clue.

tablets, well to my knowledge there's really only 1 option when it comes down to it (others might make them, but this is the most known company that I'm aware of)

http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/index.cfm

proud gonzo
1/21/2007, 10:14 PM
...gimp?

soonerboomer93
1/21/2007, 10:54 PM
you might, might ask on the fark board, come to think about it

8timechamps
1/22/2007, 12:13 AM
I'm not really looking for photoshop type software. I have PS, and it's great for farking and some graphic design stuff.

I looking more for professional Graphic Design hardware/software. I don't know if CorelDraw is a good place to start, or if there is a good website to look at. I'm sure when Monday rolls around some of the design people will have some insight. But, thanks for the efforts.

Rhino
1/22/2007, 12:39 AM
Wacom makes the best tablets.

As far as graphic design goes, Adobe Illustrator is solid. You can also go some good things with Flash. There are some others that others might be able to give you insight to.

I don't know if you're looking at layout stuff, but InDesign is the standard. I'd recommend against Quark, because I hate it. Other people hate Framemaker, but I like it.

8timechamps
1/22/2007, 10:49 AM
Wacom makes the best tablets.

As far as graphic design goes, Adobe Illustrator is solid. You can also go some good things with Flash. There are some others that others might be able to give you insight to.

I don't know if you're looking at layout stuff, but InDesign is the standard. I'd recommend against Quark, because I hate it. Other people hate Framemaker, but I like it.

Do you have a Wacom tablet? If so, what size do you have? I don't know if it make a huga amount of difference, but any insight would be helpful.

I suppose I could use my Photoshop with the tablet, but it seems like there would be better software out there.

I have been doing graphic design for a long time, and recently got a chance to submit a proposal to a national clothing chain...I do silk screening, but not the traditional tee-shirts. I screen on just about anything. So, that's kinda where I am.

Thanks again Ryan.

TopDaugIn2000
1/22/2007, 10:53 AM
Something like Adobe Illustrator?

Sorry, this isn't my area, I'm an AutoCAD/Solidworks person.

8timechamps
1/22/2007, 10:57 AM
Something like Adobe Illustrator?

Sorry, this isn't my area, I'm an AutoCAD/Solidworks person.

Yeah, I thought about CAD, but it's really not the area I need to be looking.

leavingthezoo
1/22/2007, 12:40 PM
i'll 3rd the adobe illustrator. a lot of graphic designers use it.

TopDaugIn2000
1/22/2007, 01:12 PM
I have Illustrator, but I've never used it. It came with my Adobe package.

Rhino
1/22/2007, 01:33 PM
Do you have a Wacom tablet? If so, what size do you have? I don't know if it make a huga amount of difference, but any insight would be helpful. My co-worker does. He had one before I got here and I've just never asked for one.

His is 6x8 and he likes it.