PDA

View Full Version : Who has a mortgage through USAA?

OUAndy1807
1/21/2007, 11:56 AM
I was wanting to use my buddies wife who is a mortgage broker for our mortgage, but USAA is beating the **** out of her numbers. Matching/beating her rates and like 20% of her closing costs. Now I kind of feel bad for wasting her time.

OUHOMER
1/21/2007, 12:05 PM
Dont be, Just tell her the facts.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 12:16 PM
Don't feel bad for wasting her time. Brokers of every stripe know that there's going to be a certain percentage of deals that they're just not going to be able to close because they found a better deal elsewhere.

fadada1
1/21/2007, 12:26 PM
i have USAA for my auto/renters insurance. they're known for their quality coverage. if you can use them, do it. i still think you have to be an officer in the military to sign up for new accounts. or, have been the dependent of an officer who has/had USAA.

AlbqSooner
1/21/2007, 01:03 PM
I have a mortgage and homeowners insurance through USAA. No complaints whatsoever. The military connection is a requirement, but it can be a rather distant connection. My niece is a member as a result of my dad having a membership which got my brother in, which got my niece in. Claim me as your non-DNA confirmed uncle-in-law and you are probably in.

OUAndy1807
1/21/2007, 01:45 PM
we already use USAA for everything else, I'm leaning towards just going with them on the mortgage.

usmc-sooner
1/21/2007, 01:47 PM
I've had a mortgage through USAA, Use them Andy you won't regret it. Easy to work with and they will save you money. I love them.

fadada1
1/21/2007, 01:48 PM
we already use USAA for everything else, I'm leaning towards just going with them on the mortgage.
i'll have to remember that. my lady and i'll will probably buy in the next couple years. actually, we'll be "renting to own" here in a couple months. i'd just go ahead and buy, but i don't know how long we'll be there.

Sooner_Bob
1/21/2007, 02:58 PM
I've used USAA to buy 3 houses and 2 cars. And we've got all of our insurance through them.

No complaints from me.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 03:37 PM
I'm in the financial services industry and I tell people to go with USAA if they can all the time. USAA is almost always going to be a better deal. I tell people if they want to deal with someone in person that I'm happy to help them out, but USAA is generally going to give them better rates on almost anything than I can.

OUAndy1807
1/21/2007, 04:05 PM
also, looking at the USAA website, we can get half off an install on ADT security system, money off the monthly monitoring service, a locked in rate for as long as we own the home on the monitoring service and 20% off of quicken/quickbooks/online return stuff.

USAA is the ****. anyone who hasn't should do a search for the thread about their car purchasing services.

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2007, 04:29 PM
I got a rebate on my auto insuranse. Best company evar!

SoonerInFla
1/22/2007, 02:31 AM
I've had nothing but excellent service from USAA in any dealings I've had with them. The only drawback with them has been having to mail deposits to San Antonio from Fla. Now, they allow you to deposit checks directly into your account through their online banking by using a scanner. Pretty Cool!

OUWxGuesser
1/22/2007, 03:18 AM
We have a USAA mortgage. The first person in charge of our mortgage process was an idiot, but we got a 2nd person in charge of our account and it was smooth sailing from there. One thing I had an issue with was getting our home insurance through them. I ended up switching to state farm because although SF's rates were slightly higher for the home (per $), USAA would only insure my home for $100+k more than our mortgage price. This was after they kept telling me I should go for the additional +25% value dealie above and beyond their insurance price. Auto rates were also a bit cheaper through SF, although I think that may change once we turn 25.

The home owner's insurance issue arose because our house was built in 1888. Although the house is almost completely redone at some point in time past the original build date (except a few plaster walls and a door frame trim) , their calculator came up with a replacement value of $250k for a $118k home (118 includes property). Yikes. I realize it costs more to rebuild, but 250k??? State Farm sent a local agent to look at it and insured it for ~$150k. I will keep tabs on USAA's rates, however. I have had good service with them in the past.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 07:01 AM
no longer do you have to be an officer to join USAA......enlisted members can join also

Rogue
1/22/2007, 07:08 AM
How's an ex-PFC (or E4 type) get in years later? Other than signing Mrs. Rogue up. All my friends that have USAA love it. One friend let it drop or something and then couldn't get it back. Make sense?

Sooner in Tampa
1/22/2007, 07:18 AM
no longer do you have to be an officer to join USAA......enlisted members can join alsoYour right JK...I just think that you have to be an E-6.

BTW...USAA is the best!!! If you can join DO IT NOW!!! I use USAA for Auto Insurance, main credit card, and now boaters insurance. (They will not write new policies for homeowners insurance in Fla unless you have just PCS'ed in...this is my ONLY complaint about USAA)

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 07:44 AM
no, you only have to be an E1.....my son joined after he finished basic training

and Rogue, if you have a copy of your 214, i think thats all you need

Sooner in Tampa
1/22/2007, 07:48 AM
no, you only have to be an E1.....my son joined after he finished basic training
That is good to know.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2007, 08:44 AM
The dividend check is a plus as well . . .

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 08:55 AM
mine was a whopping 65 bucks last year.......while better than a sharp stick in the eye, that dividend check has really dwindled over the last few years

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2007, 08:58 AM
I think mine have ranged from about $70 to $100 the last 4 or 5 years.

It helped pay for a few extra Christmas gifts.

sooner_born_1960
1/22/2007, 09:01 AM
[Nichols Gaillardia] What are these mortgages you people are going on about?[/Nihols]