PDA

View Full Version : This is the first time in several years............

Sooner24
1/21/2007, 10:41 AM
That I felt like an OU mens basketball team was getting better as the season wore on instead of having already peaked. That's not to say we are going to win a whole bunch of our remaining games, considering the competition, but it sure seems this ragtag bunch has bought in to the system.

Big Red Ron
1/21/2007, 11:12 AM
I kinda see where you're coming from, but we usually did get better at the end of the year under Sampson. The frustrating part was losing games we shouldn't. However, winning the Conference Tournament as often as we did, it's hard to say we didn't get better.

Sooner24
1/21/2007, 11:46 AM
Then when we reached the NCAAs we were one and done for the most part.

Newbomb Turk
1/21/2007, 11:55 AM
That I felt like an OU mens basketball team was getting better as the season wore on instead of having already peaked. That's not to say we are going to win a whole bunch of our remaining games, considering the competition, but it sure seems this ragtag bunch has bought in to the system.

imo, that's the key. When we beat a good team, I'll be convinced.

OKC-SLC
1/21/2007, 11:55 AM
The team does seem to be playing better as we've gone along. And they seem to be playing harder and having more fun.

OKC-SLC
1/21/2007, 11:56 AM
imo, that's the key. When we beat a good team, I'll be convinced.
yep. we'll see if this translates into a victory over a good team.

Collier11
1/21/2007, 11:57 AM
I will admit that we are better now than I thought we would be and thats not due to Capel, I think he will do a good job once he gets some more talent in. I just think we didnt have enough to win 3-4 games and it looks like we might surpass that. How about the attendance yesterday and the full student section(yes the tix were free) but considering our past and the weather, I was impressed

SleestakSooner
1/21/2007, 01:56 PM
It looks like the seniors are stepping up and becoming the leaders on the team that we have been needing. If Nate continues to stay aggressive and productive on offense it will make the whole team better because it opens up other shots and offensive rebounding opportunities.

I feel that Longar will be a key in some of the tough games. If he stays out of foul trouble and can stay strong on defense we can hang with some of these teams that are a lot taller.

I fear that Hightower and other Big XII officials will lose us a game or two that we could win due to the shallow bench.

Like most of you are saying here, the future looks good under Capel. Give him time to recruit and fill that bench with talent. If he can bring in some taller talent soon it won't be long til OU challenges for the title again.

KStatePike
1/21/2007, 01:57 PM
I'm really impressed with your new coach. I think he's the real deal and has your team playing better than almost anybody expected. Looking forward to our game next week. Hopefully, our two squads will keep improving until then.

TopDawg
1/21/2007, 02:20 PM
This team kinda reminds me a lot of Kelvin's first team.

Minor was a better scorer than Neal, but Neal is a better shooter. Nate and Ernie are pretty similar players. Kelvin had more depth and experience and, right now, that seems like the biggest difference to me. As Maze becomes more and more confident and consistent in his role as our main point guard, this team will continue to develop.

I think Longar's suspension was about the best thing Bobby Knight could've done for us.

Newbomb Turk
1/21/2007, 02:33 PM
I think Longar's suspension was about the best thing Bobby Knight could've done for us.

yeah - it didn't really hurt us, other than L2 not getting more experience. We weren't going to beat Texas in Austin anyway, and we beat Nebraska without him. Nate really grew up during those two games.

LittleWingSooner
1/21/2007, 04:43 PM
We'll have to see how the season goes on. We usually got better as Sampson's teams went on, except for maybe 95 and the last couple of years.

Sooner Eclipse
1/21/2007, 05:04 PM
I agree this team seems to be improving as conf play starts. But when I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be about the fact that this team doesn't seem to hit the Kelvin Sampson 20 point plateau. The most maddening thing to me about Kelvins teams were getting a lead and then setting on it. Don't know if it was entirely due to Sampsons offensive style with a lead (slow down and chew clock) or if the team would get tired. But it would inevitably lead to the other team getting back in the game while our guys couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.

This team seems to be content to continue to pile on points when available.

birddog
1/21/2007, 05:18 PM
This team seems to be content to continue to pile on points when available.

excellent point. seems like we've got a team that won't change its identity too much when we get a lead. i am enjoying this team as much as our final four team with hollis and co.

it's a refreshing change for all of us.

birddog
1/21/2007, 05:19 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3001981

seems that capel feels the same way.

kevpks
1/21/2007, 11:45 PM
I think the bottom line on Sampson was that we tended to underachieve in the NCAA tournament. The only glaring thing on his resume to me was the lack of sweet 16 finishes. Many a bracket of mine got jacked up in the first round because of my homerism.

But let's not forget that we did win 3 conf. tournaments in a row. That is impressive. I would say that we only had the most talent in the conf. in one of those tournaments.

Ash
1/21/2007, 11:52 PM
Then when we reached the NCAAs we were one and done for the most part.

nm

Ash
1/21/2007, 11:53 PM
I think the bottom line on Sampson was that we tended to underachieve in the NCAA tournament. The only glaring thing on his resume to me was the lack of sweet 16 finishes. Many a bracket of mine got jacked up in the first round because of my homerism.

But let's not forget that we did win 3 conf. tournaments in a row. That is impressive. I would say that we only had the most talent in the conf. in one of those tournaments.

edit: I need to do my homework better.

Sooner24
1/22/2007, 12:11 AM

The 2002 tournament was my favorite in the Sampson era. Beating #1 Kansas at Kemper was always a treat. Alas the stockyard days of the Big 12 are over.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/22/2007, 09:33 AM

I guess it might depend on perspective. Last year ended with a couple poor efforts but by and large the team definitely improved a lot in the second half of the year going from 0-2 and losing at home to MU to going 11-3 in the last 14 conf games. I think most years the team has improved.

I do think that Capel is doing a fantastic job of getting maximum effort out of the players. I don't know that it translates to beating the best teams but a 40 point in a conference game anytime is a big time performance. While I still think the team is a long ways from being a tourney caliber team we might be improving enough that we can steal a game in Ames or Manhattan and get to 7 conf wins.

OUmillenium
1/22/2007, 12:34 PM

I agree. KS did a good job, just never had good offensive strategy. Remember the really good teams under KS?
1) They had guys who could shoot over defenders and nail Js as the shot clock was running out.
2) They had great rebounding teams who could give us more possessions to run out the clock and fire up a guarded J.