PDA

View Full Version : College football should have early signing...

Ash
1/21/2007, 10:19 AM
like college bball. It would reduce the cheating and craziness that transpires in recruiting. At least, that's what Bill Curry (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=curry_bill&id=2736026) believes.

I wondered what some of the recruitniks around here thought about this:

Small change could help recruiting madness

By Bill Curry

[snip]

Since the overkill and various other evil aspects of this subject are well-documented, let us talk specifics and solutions. Can anything be done? Do we continue to badger, harass, evaluate, and exploit large, fast, smart teenage males until we destroy some of them along with the entire process? Three personal experiences will lead to a conclusion. Each is illustrative of large segments of the "recruited athlete" population.

[snip]

Real cases
Case 1: Philip Doyle was a great player we recruited to Alabama in 1987. He became an All-American place-kicker for the Tide after a sterling career in high school. He was very heavily sought after. Thinking we had been clever and effective in our recruiting efforts, I asked him when he had known he was coming to Tuscaloosa. I will never forget his answer.

A Change Of Plans
The 2006 season is in the books. It was a nearly flawless ending for national champ Florida. Boise State can celebrate a perfect season. But not everything in college football is ideal. What could use a change? Here's what five ESPN.com writers and/or analysts would like to see changed in the game:

Philip smiled and said, "Oh, when I was about 10 years old." It had mattered not at all how many recruiting trips he had made, nor who was coaching at his favorite school. Philip had known all along.

Case 2: This young man, who will remain nameless, was a great prospect, an early verbal commitment, whose mom called me in the summer before his senior year in high school. She asked, "What should he bring? Will he need sheets, towels and an alarm clock?" I was thrilled and told her we would be sending plenty of communications about his needs. He helped us by calling other great prospects and urging them to join him. We were in touch until the week before the national signing. He disappeared from school for a week, was seen carrying a new television into a new home and signed with another school. Housing papers are public information, so we checked the records, and all was in order. He might have simply changed his mind. Right?

Case 3: A good player, also to be anonymous, transferred to another state after his junior season in high school. After spring practice, he became a hot commodity, recruited by several prominent schools. He was courted, took unofficial visits and committed to his favorite program. He and his parents were delighted until the coaches at the school received commitments from three other players at his position, all equal to or better than our subject. Now his father is contacting me, saying "We are confused. What should we do?" I asked by e-mail whether promises had been broken. He has not responded to my question.

Early signing
The fundamental flaw in the football recruiting system is the entire idea of a "verbal" commitment from a teenager. One of our wisest coaches, Jack Fligg, always reminded our staffs of the facts. Each year about this time, he counseled, "Remember men, verbal commitments mean we have a chance to sign them. That is all."

Basketball has addressed the issue with an early signing date. To my knowledge, it has worked reasonably well. Football needs to do the same. I have believed that for a long time, but called upon a real expert for the timing. Georgia Tech assistant athletic director Larry New was one of the finest recruiters and coaches I ever employed. I called him this week, and he was enthusiastic.

"Around the third week of July, after the college football camps, and before the opening of high school training camps, there should be an early signing opportunity," New said. "Most of the kids know by then, and it would eliminate so much of the craziness."

Good advice. Although the recruiting services, the rumormongers and the cheaters will detest it, the families, student-athletes and coaches will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Then the coaches can press on with the business of teaching our teens how to be team members, leaders, good students and winners on the field.

Harry Beanbag
1/21/2007, 10:42 AM
I think that would be outstanding. I think it could also save schools a ton of money that is simply wasted playing the recruiting game.

The Consumate Showman
1/21/2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me, and you know a staff like Stoops would L O V E this. too, what with him having to go out on the recruiting trail all year long, this would let him and his staff take a break every no and then and not have to worry about pressing so many kids until Feb every year...plus for the reasons Harry stated as well.

starrca23
1/21/2007, 08:20 PM
Ya, I really don't see any down side.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 09:36 PM
Only down side I see is a big one:

What about a kid who realizes that he made a mistake?

goingoneight
1/21/2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, what Mike Rich said, what if some kid's first visit is from the sheep humpers, he turns out to be a high school stud, and he commits to his first recruiter? Nothing against OSU fans here, just sayin'... you're talking a shot at NFL stardom, BIG 12 Championships and BCS berths year in and out at OU, versus competing with the local talent for game time at another university.

I will say this idea has more positives than negatives though...

Ash
1/21/2007, 10:46 PM
I was thinking another potential negative is that it doesn't stop cheating (or whatever you want to call it), it simply accelerates it or ramps it up a notch...now the stakes are higher, so gifts (or whatever) get bigger, go faster, things get nastier...

Scott D
1/21/2007, 10:50 PM
I was thinking another potential negative is that it doesn't stop cheating (or whatever you want to call it), it simply accelerates it or ramps it up a notch...now the stakes are higher, so gifts (or whatever) get bigger, go faster, things get nastier...

not necessarily. Nobody is saying that every kid needs to sign early, hell it'd likely be probably around the 10-15% that would take advantage of an early signing period. However, in this scenario will it be less than, equal to, or more difficult for a player to get out of a commitment in comparison to basketball if the coaching staff who recruited the player gets fired or takes another job?

Ash
1/21/2007, 10:55 PM
not necessarily. Nobody is saying that every kid needs to sign early, hell it'd likely be probably around the 10-15% that would take advantage of an early signing period. However, in this scenario will it be less than, equal to, or more difficult for a player to get out of a commitment in comparison to basketball if the coaching staff who recruited the player gets fired or takes another job?

I'd like to say that the powers that be could do the sensible thing and put in provisions for those kinds of situations that would help out recruits and schools in a fair way...but we're talking NCAA here.:cool:

Scott D
1/21/2007, 10:58 PM
well it shouldn't be too much of an issue to at least be on par with the way they do it with basketball, where the new coaching staff and school can release the player from their commitment with no major penalty.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 10:59 PM
I'd also like to point out that anyone thinking an early signing period would cut cheating down hasn't been paying attention to NCAA basketball recruiting.

Basketball recruiting is so crooked that I'm surprised they don't just call it an auction.

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2007, 06:21 AM
I'd also like to point out that anyone thinking an early signing period would cut cheating down hasn't been paying attention to NCAA basketball recruiting.

Basketball recruiting is so crooked that I'm surprised they don't just call it an auction.

Yeah, it's a joke in basketball. The Texas donors finally decided to have a good basketball program...

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah, pretty much. The recruitment of Kevin Durant was suspicious, to say the least. He went from a solid North Carolina lean with low interest in Texas to a Texas commitment in like 48 hours.

starrca23
1/22/2007, 12:39 PM
Basketball being crooked has a lot to do with AAU. That is about as diry as it gets.

Scott D
1/22/2007, 04:39 PM
Basketball being crooked has a lot to do with AAU. That is about as diry as it gets.

which makes it amusing that baseball isn't as openly crooked.

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2007, 04:58 PM
which makes it amusing that baseball isn't as openly crooked.

Probably because there really isn't any money in college baseball.

Scott D
1/22/2007, 05:01 PM
well that and the fact that most of the top recruits can still be drafted by mlb teams and go to the minors instead of college.

OSUAggie
1/22/2007, 05:12 PM
For whatever reason, most basketball coaches stop recruiting players once they openly commit to another program. There seems to be a lot more respect, among coaches, to a player's decision to commit to a program. I don't necessarily think that that is solely based on there being 2 signing periods, but I think that might have something to do with it. Once a player signs in the early period, the shape of each school's class begins to form, and players have a lot better idea of who/what the school is actually recruiting. How may times do you hear prospects getting upset about the coaches telling the players they wouldn't be recruiting anybody else at their position? Like the DJ Wolfe situation, I guess.

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2007, 05:19 PM
For whatever reason, most basketball coaches stop recruiting players once they openly commit to another program. There seems to be a lot more respect, among coaches, to a player's decision to commit to a program. I don't necessarily think that that is solely based on there being 2 signing periods, but I think that might have something to do with it. Once a player signs in the early period, the shape of each school's class begins to form, and players have a lot better idea of who/what the school is actually recruiting. How may times do you hear prospects getting upset about the coaches telling the players they wouldn't be recruiting anybody else at their position? Like the DJ Wolfe situation, I guess.

I think it has everything to do with only being able to sign a handful of players a year so there is way less wiggle room with scholarships than in football and also the two signing periods. Once a player signs, game over.

The respect amongst coaches reasoning is laughable at best.