PDA

View Full Version : I'm watching Teddy live on MTP

Okla-homey
1/21/2007, 10:07 AM
argue, with a straight-face mind you, the Congress has a constitutional obligation to block the President's troop surge in Iraq. Not merely the constitutional power to block it, (which probably doesn't exist either) but an obligation to block the surge.

Whether you favor it or not Senator, under the Constitution, the President is the Commander-in-Chief-- not you wanna-be president guys and gals in Congress. You don't get to set national security policy, manage wars or choose a course of action. Therefore, you have precisely two options: 1) cease to fund the war, or 2) STFU and color.

Tailwind
1/21/2007, 11:08 AM
I vote ....STFU and color. I'm goinna use that one. Greatness!

OUAndy1807
1/21/2007, 11:22 AM
weren't these guys all screaming about how we should have gone in there with overwhelming force and that Bush should have listened to his generals. Now he's doing it and they're bitching about it?

StoopTroup
1/21/2007, 01:17 PM
Amazingly he didn't think a draft would be pleasing to the American people either.

Wonder if he's listening to those options now?

usmc-sooner
1/21/2007, 01:54 PM
Before the surge in Troops the Dem's said we need more troops, now they don't want to send more troops. Yet these fools want the people to give them the power to run the show. Let's review they don't want win a war. Pelosi wants to shut down big oil companies. I'm almost to the point of saying what the hell give them 4 years, to show the country what is was like to have Jimmy Carter in charge. He was so bad we went 12 straight years with Republicans, and 20 of 28 years with Republicans. But I guess people have forget what he was like.

Scott D
1/21/2007, 02:20 PM
now now lets be fair Homey....Edward Moore Kennedy was so not one of Joseph P. Kennedy's favorite children he may as well have been a daughter.

GottaHavePride
1/21/2007, 02:24 PM
Before the surge in Troops the Dem's said we need more troops, now they don't want to send more troops.

It's not about what they actually think will work. Bush is on the Republican team, so that means anything he wants to do must be bad. It's all about who gets to win the political game.

def_lazer_fc
1/21/2007, 05:27 PM
they should all just agree that whatever they do, "surge" or no "surge", we're still screwed. neither party has an answer to this big ol' mess. everyone is kinda just waiting around to find out which party will win in 08, therefore knowing which party to blame at that point. politicians are stupid.

Okla-homey
1/21/2007, 10:53 PM
they should all just agree that whatever they do, "surge" or no "surge", we're still screwed. neither party has an answer to this big ol' mess. everyone is kinda just waiting around to find out which party will win in 08, therefore knowing which party to blame at that point. politicians are stupid.

IMHO, there's an "answer" to this "big ol' mess," but it's not very pleasant.

Mongo
1/21/2007, 10:54 PM
IMHO, there's an "answer" to this "big ol' mess," but it's not very pleasant.

Light 'em up? Make the whole place glow?

Okla-homey
1/21/2007, 10:55 PM
Light 'em up? Make the whole place glow?

That's not necessary at this juncture, but it does involve going "Roman." Hell, everyone accuses us of "empire-building, crusading" and what not anyway. Might as well embrace it. I wonder what the international reaction would be to five miles of crucified jihaadis along the main highway in Anbar province?

picasso
1/21/2007, 10:57 PM
same people were bitching 2 years ago we didn't have enough troops over there.

Mongo
1/21/2007, 10:57 PM
Good, glad you didnt say Greek. We have a "dont ask, dont tell", and going Greek would leave us no soldiers

Vaevictis
1/21/2007, 10:58 PM
weren't these guys all screaming about how we should have gone in there with overwhelming force and that Bush should have listened to his generals. Now he's doing it and they're bitching about it?

20k isn't overwhelming force, not by a long shot.

I'm not behind 20k. But I could get behind 200k.

Mongo
1/21/2007, 11:02 PM
20k isn't overwhelming force, not by a long shot.

I'm not behind 20k. But I could get behind 200k.

But, can 20k help? Generals said that much would work.

Vaevictis
1/21/2007, 11:08 PM
But, can 20k help? Generals said that much would work.

Maybe. Of course, keeping in mind that what *I'd* been hearing for years was that what we had would work. It clearly hasn't.

I wonder how much of that is them believing that it's the appropriate number, and how much of it is them towing the line like they're supposed to.

I think we've lost all chance of winning this war via messaging at this point. I think that Homey's probably right -- if we want to win this war, it's time to go Roman-ish. Flood the damn place with troops, institute martial law, forcibly disarm the populace and put everything on ration so we can track where stuff is going and hopefully curtail improvised weaponry. Try criminals in military style courts with harsh punishments.

If we don't want to do that, I worry that we're just throwing good after bad, and if that's what we're doing, I'd rather just get the hell out instead of ****ing away more men and more money.

Mongo
1/21/2007, 11:16 PM
I agree, just wanted to see your faggish liberal response:D.

Watched "Man, Moment, Machine" about Stormin' Norman the other day. A Vietnam vet, now(at that time) one of the heads at CENTCOM. Took his philosophy of making an ugly war as short as possible by utilizing everything in your capabilities.

Not saying DS and this war are the same objectively, but we are not utilizing all that needs to be done. I am a conservative, but am ****ed at what the old Congress and current POTUS have done. Total basterdizing of this war.

Vaevictis
1/21/2007, 11:25 PM
I just keep getting reminded of a poker player who's waaay in over his head on a hand and keeps raising on the futile hope that the other guy will just fold.

Mongo
1/21/2007, 11:26 PM
I just keep getting reminded of a poker player who's waaay in over his head on a hand and keeps raising on the futile hope that the other guy will just fold.

You've seen Rounders too many times

Vaevictis
1/21/2007, 11:32 PM
Actually, I was watching one of those poker shows on ESPN a month or two ago when this happened. Guy had upped the ante a hundred thousand or so before he realized he was beat and folded.

Mongo
1/21/2007, 11:34 PM
I dont see how those dudes do that. I'm up 5 dollars, I **** my pants and lose my cool. Plus, I am too dumb to see all the angles.

Rogue
1/22/2007, 07:23 AM
Friends, this is no longer a "military" war and hasn't been for some time. The troops are towing that godawful line between being diplomats (which they've never been good at and, IMO, don't need to be), police (similarly, not our strong suit), and defending themselves from geurillas (also not the strength of most of our troops outside of special units).

Unfortunately, we broke this place worse than it was, so we bought it. Gettin' the hell out ain't likely, and the military is, again JMO, ill-suited for the tasks at hand now.

Rogue's new idea of the moment is to set up a big *** base somewhere that can be defended reasonably and use it as the middle-eastern hub for the GWOT. I was not in support of invading Iraq in the first place because I think it distracted us from the idea of hunting down terrorists. Since, it seems, we are there for the next several decades it may as well serve some useful military strategic purpose.

Stability to the region - nice lofty ideal, history says it's unlikely.
A free, democratic, and friendly Iraq - maybe even despite our efforts
A military base in the middle of the crazies that want to kill us and bomb our buildings - priceless.

Liberally Yours,
Rogue

Scott D
1/22/2007, 04:42 PM
it's 'toeing the line' not 'towing the line'

that is all.