PDA

View Full Version : Regressive dreams?

Chuck Bao
1/21/2007, 09:01 AM
I’m not one to read anything into dreams, but good golly what is my brain doing in it’s supposedly down time?

Anyone else get these really strange dreams about 20-30 years ago?

This teenage dream stuff bugs the heck out of me.

I think I’ve nearly gotten over the missed school homework assignment dreams. Why can’t my mind get the point that I finished university studies like 20 years ago. Thankfully, I’ve totally passed the naked in class dream stage.

I’ve lived almost half of my life in Asia and nearly all of my dreams are located at my parents’ or grandparents’ house. But, those always get weird with aliens or Viking attacks. They always shoot arrows, even the aliens shoot arrows. One would think that aliens traveling like millions of light years to earth would have better weapons than arrows, but they don’t!

I’m no longer driving farm implements for a living like I did when I was a kid, but most of the new dreams are about a truck or tractor that I’m driving suddenly no longer has brakes. I can only guess that at least my legs get a work out in those dreams.

What are your dreams about and how long ago are they based and do any of your aliens/vikings shoot arrows?

fadada1
1/21/2007, 10:22 AM
aliens and vikings, huh.... sounds like you want to conquer things.

i stopped having the "oh crap, i forgot about this test" type dreams a couple years ago - once i was well clear of finishing my thesis.

1/21/2007, 10:53 AM
I relate.

Most of mine involve two-a-days. Only instead practicing with the SWOSU Bulldogs, I'm with A&M. I'm always thinking, "WTF am I DOING out here? I'm going to be killed by these kids."

My other dreams involve the ability to fly. Strangely, I can flap my arms and fly to space...

Coming down is always a quandary. I'm always in fear of the landing.

Perhaps I should just let it all go and be satisfied that I tot you all the spelling of "quandary."

1/21/2007, 10:55 AM
Oh, and I often dream that I forgot drop a class that I haven't been to in a couple of months.

20 years out of college and I still worry about this crap.

Geeze.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 12:20 PM
Oh, and I often dream that I forgot drop a class that I haven't been to in a couple of months.

Geeze.

I have that one all the time.

Last night I had a dream where I hadn't been to my Tuesday/Thursday classes in so long I not only didn't know where they were located, I didn't know what they were. I finally figured out one was Sociology.

I don't know why, but the class I forget to go to or drop is always either Sociology or Psychology.

fadada1
1/21/2007, 12:25 PM

Geeze.
that's the worst feeling. even after you wake up, you run to check if your hillbillie degree is still on the wall.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/21/2007, 12:30 PM
The one that I like best is about finally remembering DURING FINALS WEEK, that you had enrolled in a class that you forgot about all semester.

Chuck Bao
1/21/2007, 12:56 PM
EXACTLY. You guys have my recurring nightmare!

I never forgot to drop a class. In fact, I never dropped a class. I never skipped classes. And, I never forgot about a class until finals week or term projects due.

Why does this stuff still give me such a guilt trip I never deserved?

Man, they must be screwing with us somehow. Them or the invading aliens/vikings!

yermom
1/21/2007, 01:42 PM
yeah, the class i forgot to drop has happened a few times, or just showing up for a test you had forgotten about

of course i probably had about any of those academic mishaps actually happen except for forgetting to drop all the way up to finals week

i had a really weird regressive type dream once in an "altered state"... i was like 4-6 and in my old house, nothing was really stressfull, but it was like i was actually in my life 20 years ago, and remembering vivid details of the house and things in it. it was very odd

but in all my other dreams i'm an alien or Viking

Octavian
1/21/2007, 01:56 PM
I have pretty vivid dreams almost every night....I can almost always remember them....even small details and thoughts w/in them.

I dunno if that's good or bad...

Every once in awhile, I have the "in-the-locker room before the big game" dream...all my old teammates are there and we're really pumped up to go out and win it. I'm always disappointed when I wake up.

I also have a reoccurring flight dream...but I don't flap my arms. Just take off, kinda like the Matrix.

Others, though...can't get over fast enough. I've had a "on-the-run from the Nazis" or "people chasing me" dream all my life. I'm always heavily armed, and so are they.

Sometimes I get away, sometimes others running with me get killed....when I get caught or shot, I always wake up.

Last night, I was with one of my roommates from college. We were being chased, but evaded them, blew up an enemy building and got away....thankfully. :D

...and I won't even go into the "lost love of my life" dream....gah.

usmc-sooner
1/21/2007, 02:09 PM
it's quite simple you guys are all the victims of alien abductions or you maybe repressed homos

yermom
1/21/2007, 02:23 PM
I have pretty vivid dreams almost every night....I can almost always remember them....even small details and thoughts w/in them.

I dunno if that's good or bad...

Every once in awhile, I have the "in-the-locker room before the big game" dream...all my old teammates are there and we're really pumped up to go out and win it. I'm always disappointed when I wake up.

I also have a reoccurring flight dream...but I don't flap my arms. Just take off, kinda like the Matrix.

Others, though...can't get over fast enough. I've had a "on-the-run from the Nazis" or "people chasing me" dream all my life. I'm always heavily armed, and so are they.

Sometimes I get away, sometimes others running with me get killed....when I get caught or shot, I always wake up.

Last night, I was with one of my roommates from college. We were being chased, but evaded them, blew up an enemy building and got away....thankfully. :D

...and I won't even go into the "lost love of my life" dream....gah.

i have the running from the whoever dreams every so often. when i was younger it was Stormtoopers, and my blaster was out of batteries or something. i often have or get a gun or whatever but it is never effective. kinda like if i need to punch someone in a dream

GottaHavePride
1/21/2007, 02:26 PM
I almost never remember my dreams. Couldn't tell you the last time I had one that I remembered when I woke up.

Octavian
1/21/2007, 03:10 PM
i have the running from the whoever dreams every so often. when i was younger it was Stormtoopers, and my blaster was out of batteries or something. i often have or get a gun or whatever but it is never effective. kinda like if i need to punch someone in a dream

you need to getcha one of these...

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/605/lightsaberdisplaybottom5os.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:D

yermom
1/21/2007, 03:16 PM
word.

although, it probably wouldn't work either :mad:

royalfan5
1/21/2007, 05:01 PM
I had a dream last night it which the premise was that Jackie became President after JFK was shot instead of LBJ, and I have regressive dreams like that on an occasional basis, usually involving me being in high school. Now that I have been taking magnesium as part of my supplements for working out, my dreams have became incredibly vivid and intense, and my overall all sleep quality has improved. I recommend trying it.

MamaMia
1/21/2007, 05:50 PM
I don't dream about the past. My dreams are usually pertaining to something going on in the present, or the future. Many of my dreams also involve a loved one who has passed.

SicEmBaylor
1/21/2007, 05:59 PM
I almost always dream in 3rd person.

soonerboomer93
1/21/2007, 06:07 PM
My other dreams involve the ability to fly. Strangely, I can flap my arms and fly to space...

Coming down is always a quandary. I'm always in fear of the landing.

Perhaps I should just let it all go and be satisfied that I tot you all the spelling of "quandary."

you should sell this dream to NASA :D

Newbomb Turk
1/21/2007, 06:20 PM
Anyone else get these really strange dreams about 20-30 years ago?

I sometimes dream about some of the chicks I should have tried to bang in HS.

Melo
1/21/2007, 06:57 PM
I have one often where I am sitting down, like a a dressing table, and I go to brush my hair. Only, when I move my hair, cockroaches crawl out of my head.

Another one that I had a lot was one that always took place at my grandparents house. I would be in the back room playing video games, or something, and my mom would call me. Id go out to the living room, and she'd say 'Your snake is trying to hurt your brother again'. So the rest of the dream would be and the snake. he snake almost ALWAYS slithered out of its age and tried to hurt my family. Most of the time, I had a knife, so I would cut it in half, only to find that the snake grew into two snakes. Those dreams never have endings.

The one I have been having a lot recently, I cant remember exact details, only that my teeth fall out. It starts out with being a lose tooth, and it just...falls out. Then they all fall out. I usually end up waking up with an odd, almost painful left over feeling.

Howzit
1/21/2007, 07:11 PM
I occasionally have the not-ready-for-a-test-in-college dream with slight variations. Sometimes it's a final I haven't studied for, sometimes it's a class I haven't attended.

Last week I had a really weird dream. I was on an island, and the on the island was a house. I think it was on a large lake.

Apparently I knew the owner of the house but am not sure who it was suposed to be. Years before the owner had found an alien and had it enclosed in a glass case. At some point, the alien had come in contact with the water, and it had infected the water, and the infection had spread. The infection manifested itself by becoming animals and stuff, and right now it had become a big-*** alligator and was trying to eat me.

Also on the island was some female, and we kept fighting off the alligator with shovels and pitchforks and such. At some point we realized the the rest of the world was prolly dead and we were going to be also and so we might as well...you know.

The end.

Before the 'you know.'

:mad:

Pricetag
1/21/2007, 07:38 PM
word.

although, it probably wouldn't work either :mad:
I have dreams where I have a lightsaber all the time. It never works, though. It's either out of juice, or the blade is like the width of a real laser beam when it comes out. Very disappointing.

Melo
1/21/2007, 07:39 PM
It's either out of juice, or the blade is like the width of a real laser beam when it comes out. Very disappointing.

Yep... thats what she said.

Pricetag
1/21/2007, 07:44 PM
Yep... thats what she said.

Heh, I was wondering how long it would take someone to go there.

Melo
1/21/2007, 07:51 PM
Not long, on the SO.

HAHA!!!

OUinFLA
1/21/2007, 08:38 PM
I dream about all those HS chicks I enjoyed that wouldn't give Newbomb Turk the time of day. :D

Actually the only nightmare I have is:
Im about to get intimate with Cindy Crawford, and IM AFRAID I will wake up.
This one usually comes true.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/21/2007, 08:46 PM
I have zombie movie dreams every rare once in awhile. Spooky stuff, man.

Insert me in zombie movie, various scenarios, trying to get to my family, trying to survive, all the same ol' business you get in the movies. Kicker is, there's never the hot pistol packin' chick that gets all hardcore on some zombie ***. With that, it'd be worth it. Instead, it's just really stinky.

Octavian
1/21/2007, 09:21 PM
Dream Interpretations (http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/)

Melo, it explains the teeth-falling-out dream

....tell us where we should send the flowers ;)

Melo
1/21/2007, 10:32 PM
Dream Interpretations (http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/)

Melo, it explains the teeth-falling-out dream

....tell us where we should send the flowers ;)

The explanation didnt really make sense to me, so I looked it up in a few other places:

If your teeth are rotten, crooked, and/or falling out this means that your lies are hurting someone very badly and that you will soon be found out.

Normally an unfavorable sign in a dream. It signifies displeasure and also shows that you are afraid of losing someone dear to you.

^^That one hits home more than any of th other ones.

Dreams of losing teeth are often dreams of embarrassment or potentially embarrassing situations. The parallel waking experience could be summed up in the phrase "losing face" publicly.

Teeth usually symbolize power and/or control. Animals use their teeth for defense and nourishment and show their teeth when angry. Humans often display similar behaviors. Look and see if you are losing or abusing power and control in any area of your life (especially if you are losing teeth in your dream). Old dream interpretations say that dreaming about teeth is a bad omen that suggest financial difficulties.

So four, seemingly different explanaions. Oddly enough, if I really wanted to get into it, they all fit with a certain situation that I have been dealing with, lately. I'm thinking just a coincidence, though.

yermom
1/21/2007, 10:39 PM
sounds like astrology ;)

SoonerJack
1/22/2007, 09:46 AM
When I was a TA in grad school, there was always one or two kids on my rolls that never showed up and never dropped the class. So, while it may just be a dream for you, it was an F for someone else.

Recurring dreams for me: bicycling, falling down (or up) stairs, having some sort of powerless weapon to battle back the bad guys, fishing and catching really big fish and then waking up, missing a shot at a really nice buck, and the one that my wife also has: finding a room or a wing of your house that you just always forget about. Usually the door to it is inside a closet or something and we're thinking, "dang, why don't we ever use this space!"

crawfish
1/22/2007, 10:37 AM
I had a dream last year where I realized that I was still in the Pride, right as they were going out to the halftime show. I didn't have a uniform, had to borrow a trombone and didn't know the songs or the marching routine, so I floundered in front of 80,000 people.

Freud would have had a field day with that one.

Mjcpr
1/22/2007, 10:42 AM
so I floundered in front of 80,000 people.

How many people read SF.com?

8timechamps
1/22/2007, 11:21 AM
I have pretty boring dreams, but once in awhile, I'll dream about an old girlfriend that I apparently never got over. I wake up, and it feels like I got dumped all over again. But, that feeling only last until I empty my bladder.

Now, the ones that concern me are the ones that include me needing to pee very badly, standing in a restroom full of urinals. Fortunately, I never complete that one. And again, the aftermath only lasts until I empty my bladder.

Pricetag
1/22/2007, 11:24 AM
I sometime dream that I'm trying to throw a football, but my grip always slips at the very last second before release, causing me to abort the throw and try again, with the same result. This happens over and over.

I have sports dreams all the time where things are just bizarre. I had a dream once that I was playing indoor soccer, only there was a 90-degree turn in the middle of the field. I dream I'm playing basketball all the time, but it's never with a real ball. It's usually something like a pair of rolled up socks.

Pricetag
1/22/2007, 11:26 AM
Now, the ones that concern me are the ones that include me needing to pee very badly, standing in a restroom full of urinals. Fortunately, I never complete that one. And again, the aftermath only lasts until I empty my bladder.
I have similar dreams, only none of the urinals/toilets can be used. They're usually overflowing and nasty.

Sometimes I'll have dreams where I'm peeing in an inappropriate place like a trash can or something, and I realize this, but at the same time, I can't stop going.

Of course, both of these are inidcators of need in real life, and I wake up so I can go.

Howzit
1/22/2007, 11:29 AM
:les: I SAID THE ALIEN WAS A FREAKIN' ALLIGATOR!!!

yermom
1/22/2007, 12:45 PM
I have similar dreams, only none of the urinals/toilets can be used. They're usually overflowing and nasty.

Sometimes I'll have dreams where I'm peeing in an inappropriate place like a trash can or something, and I realize this, but at the same time, I can't stop going.

Of course, both of these are inidcators of need in real life, and I wake up so I can go.

dude, i hate those dreams.

only, in mine i'm going in an "appropriate" place, but it's not as private as it should be and people are always waiting on me. generally, the duration would put Austin Powers to shame.

i'm surprised i wake up dry

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/22/2007, 12:59 PM
I have one I've had since I was about 16 or so.

There's a big, curvy bridge where I-40 & I-35 split. I-40 heads east and I-35 heads wnorth...if you don't curve, you'll drive right off the bridge and the drop is HUGE.

I've dreamt that I just keep going without curving but it's not like I'm doing it on purpose. I'm trying to steer the car along the curve but it won't go and I fly off to side of the bridge...

I've never stayed asleep long enough to hit the ground, though. I've dreamt it so many times that for a while I believed that's how and where I'd die. Flying off the I-40 bridge into a firey ball of death.

:les: DIE IN A FIRE!

I haven't had that dream in a few years, though. At least I don't remember having it...

Partial Qualifier
1/22/2007, 05:03 PM
My dreams are usually wierd and don't seem to make any sense. Sometimes they involve people I've seen or talked to recently but with no relevant connection there. I have golf dreams which are always good. In my early 20's, I had this one recurring dream for virtually 8 months straight. I remember the entire thing.. nothing really earth-shattering, just a series of wierd situations.

Nowadays, I gets lots of "romantic" dreams, and situations where I'm in a labyrinth or maze of some sort and have to find my way out. I'm sure there's a Freud comment in there somwhere.

One of the golf dreams involved a course where every fairway was enshrouded with huge trees growing out over the fairway, effectively tunneling each fairway. So each shot had to be punched down so it wouldn't touch 'the canopy'. Tunnel golf. Idunno.

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2007, 05:38 PM
I still have dreams about operating nuclear reactors and stuff related to that. Of course there are the running from somebody ones. Dreams about college for me don't ever involve classes or tests, they usually involve chicks. :)

Lately, I've been having some extra weird and frightening nightmares. There was one last week where my wife and some of our friends were in the upper deck of a stadium somewhere and were killed by a volcano.:confused: I woke up freaked out and wasn't really able get my heart rate back to normal for most of the day. That one sucked bad.