PDA

View Full Version : science geeks with children

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2007, 10:48 PM
so today for lunch, mrs jk and i go to one of the local establishments.....sitting near us is a man and his two sons......about 4 years old and maybe 8 months

its been raining here non-stop.........the kid asks where rain comes from or some similar 4 year old question

the father goes into a discussion about the elements and how each rain drop is a molecule comprised of 2 hydrogen and one oxygen......then he draws a model on the napkin

then he says to his 4 year old "does that make sense"

i could not help but laugh out loud....

sooneron
1/20/2007, 10:49 PM
Kind of reminds me of Rick Moranis in Parenthood.

Hot Rod
1/20/2007, 10:54 PM
Wow! Some people cease to amaze me!

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2007, 10:54 PM
yes, exactly

sooneron
1/20/2007, 10:56 PM
I knew a 5 yr old that could point out most of the major bones in the human skeletal system. His dad was in med school or interning, so I think he used the studying as a teaching the kid something time, thus, helping him.

Crazy stuff having a kid point out a femur, tibia, sternum, etc...

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2007, 11:02 PM
i took human a&p and had a hell of a time remembering the different notches and such......its amazing what a kid that age can retain....

sooneron
1/20/2007, 11:18 PM
Sponges..... little sponges.

Frozen Sooner
1/20/2007, 11:24 PM
so today for lunch, mrs jk and i go to one of the local establishments.....sitting near us is a man and his two sons......about 4 years old and maybe 8 months

its been raining here non-stop.........the kid asks where rain comes from or some similar 4 year old question

the father goes into a discussion about the elements and how each rain drop is a molecule comprised of 2 hydrogen and one oxygen......then he draws a model on the napkin

Dude, that's awesome. I mean, no, the kid's probably not going to understand it all, but that's one heck of a lot better than telling them that it's God crying over something they did or whatever.

Actually, come to think of it, NOTHING is better than telling a kid that rain is God crying over stuff they did.

sanantoniosooner
1/20/2007, 11:26 PM
No wonder you have issues with God :D

sooneron
1/20/2007, 11:29 PM
It's better to tell them that God is more like an all-knowing boogeyman.

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2007, 11:30 PM
Dude, that's awesome. I mean, no, the kid's probably not going to understand it all, but that's one heck of a lot better than telling them that it's God crying over something they did or whatever.

Actually, come to think of it, NOTHING is better than telling a kid that rain is God crying over stuff they did.

yeah the god crying isnt a good answer, but my experience with 4 year olds is that they ask "whats that" about EVERYTHING

he lost them at "hydrogen is an element"

Frozen Sooner
1/20/2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I'd have probably left it at "clouds are water, and when the water gets too heavy to float it comes down as rain."

Or possibly I would have backhanded him and said "Shuddup and eat yer sammich, brat."

Mjcpr
1/20/2007, 11:35 PM
It's grandma crying because you wet the bed.

SoonerInKCMO
1/21/2007, 11:19 AM

Maybe he lost 'em on purpose because he's tired of them asking so many damn questions. :texan:

sooner_born_1960
1/21/2007, 01:02 PM

He gave them that BS story? What a horrible father.

StoopTroup
1/21/2007, 01:06 PM
Clouds.

Chuck Bao
1/21/2007, 01:15 PM
My mom was taking a course in Greek mythology when I was four.

So, I got Zeus throwing thunderbolts and Hades kidnapping a pursephone.

yermom
1/21/2007, 02:38 PM
He gave them that BS story? What a horrible father.

yeah, my problem with this story is that it doesn't look like he is really answering the question

unless he was planning on getting into the cohesive/adhesive nature of water and Hydrogen bonding with the dipole nature of the molecule and all that causing the water to form droplets in the clouds and falling

that would probably take a while with the 4 year old though :D

GottaHavePride
1/21/2007, 02:40 PM
My issue was that a raindrop isn't just ONE molecule, you'd never see it.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 03:40 PM
My mom was taking a course in Greek mythology when I was four.

So, I got Zeus throwing thunderbolts and Hades kidnapping a pursephone.

Not just "a" Persephone, a rather specific one. ;)

Though that story doesn't have a lot to do with rain but with the changing seasons.

crawfish
1/21/2007, 03:59 PM
...but that's one heck of a lot better than telling them that it's God crying over something they did or whatever.

God's crying over you, dude. ;) :cool:

Actually, there's few better ways to stop your kids from asking questions than by going into excruciating detail with your answers. Especially sex. :D

Chuck Bao
1/21/2007, 04:05 PM
Not just "a" Persephone, a rather specific one. ;)

Though that story doesn't have a lot to do with rain but with the changing seasons.

I was four years old and I was just going along with it.

Do you like movies about gladiators too?

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 04:23 PM
As it happens, I think Gladiator is one of the worst movies ever made.

crawfish
1/21/2007, 04:27 PM

I was wondering how long that would take. :rolleyes:

SoonerTerry
1/21/2007, 05:04 PM
Me and the kid watch the science channel and talk about the things he finds interesting. His immagination is EXTREEMLY vivid. What I have to be carefull of is making sure he understands distance. For him everything in the world happens in a 4 foot circle around him. So he knows he's not gonna get sucked into the black hole.

Howzit
1/21/2007, 06:02 PM
I used to work with a Mechanical Engineer that was always using everyday stuff to illustrate physics to everyone, including his 2 year old son. He was telling me that he had his son at the park on one of those merry-go-round (?) deals that spin around. The son was sitting in the middle holding on, and abruptly stands up and starts walking toward the outside without holding on.

Of course he goes airborn, lands in a heap on the ground and starts crying. Mechanical Engineer guy walks over to him, bends over, and says, "Angular Momentum."

:rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 06:32 PM
I was wondering how long that would take. :rolleyes:

The guy asked me if I liked gladiator movies. What was I supposed to say?

Spartacus was good. Gladiator was not.

SoonerInKCMO
1/21/2007, 06:34 PM
Of course he goes airborn, lands in a heap on the ground and starts crying. Mechanical Engineer guy walks over to him, bends over, and says, "Angular Momentum."

:D That almost makes me want to have kids.

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2007, 06:40 PM

genre.

It's different than a specific movie.

Newbomb Turk
1/21/2007, 06:42 PM

http://www.airodyssey.net/graph/airplane-joeyoveurlarge.jpg

crawfish
1/21/2007, 06:44 PM

You probably think that because Gladiator didn't have any homoerotic bath scenes. ;)

Melo
1/21/2007, 06:47 PM
Those are all better than how the explanation went in our family:

Melo: Where does rain come from?
Melo Parent: The sky.

Errr.... duuuh...

I dont think my parents had high expectations for my intelligence level. Now that I am home from school, I understand why. :D

Pricetag
1/21/2007, 07:43 PM
God's crying over you, dude. ;) :cool:

Actually, there's few better ways to stop your kids from asking questions than by going into excruciating detail with your answers. Especially sex. :D
That's what I'm thinking. The first day my kid asks me where babies come from, he's learning about DNA and all that good stuff.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 09:04 PM
You probably think that because Gladiator didn't have any homoerotic bath scenes. ;)

That could be it, though I'm inclined to go with the lack of a well-written script over the lack of homoeroticism.

yermom
1/21/2007, 09:45 PM
Badiator :D

maybe i have just seen too many movies, but i just found myself thinking "that idea is really tired" too many times in that movie

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2007, 09:50 PM
Are you not entertained?

yermom
1/21/2007, 09:55 PM
actually, i was :)

i'm not THAT picky, but i just didn't think it was worth the hype it got. the sets and costumes, etc... were good, i just wasn't that impressed with the story

proud gonzo
1/21/2007, 10:09 PM
That could be it, though I'm inclined to go with the lack of a well-written script over the lack of homoeroticism.on this one particular subject, I will always think you're a tard. but aside from that we're cool. ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 10:14 PM
I can't believe you like that movie. But I'm willing to overlook it and recognize that you're good people regardless.

It's a meathead flick.

proud gonzo
1/21/2007, 10:16 PM
It's also one of my favorite movies ever. don't call me a meathead, shorty :P

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 10:18 PM
Hey, I like some crappy movies too.

Gladiator just bugs me because people were trying to convince me it was a cinematic masterpiece.

Sam Raimi wakes up after a hard night of drinking and vomits better movies than that one.

BeetDigger
1/21/2007, 10:46 PM
yeah the god crying isnt a good answer, but my experience with 4 year olds is that they ask "whats that" about EVERYTHING

My four year old asks "what's that" about everything. Either that or "why". My eight year old is doing her science fair project and it involves the study of molecules. Understanding the concept of atoms is a difficult thing for a child. However, my daughter told me quite diffinitively the five states of matter. I sure couldn't have done it, and I studied quite a bit of science.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2007, 10:55 PM
Solid
Liquid
Gaseous
Plasma

What else?

proud gonzo
1/21/2007, 11:05 PM
yeah, i'm drawing a blank too.

proud gonzo
1/21/2007, 11:07 PM
ah, the wonderful internet. Bose-Einstein Condensate... the opposite of plasma, basically. "discovered" in 1995

yermom
1/21/2007, 11:19 PM
heh, beat me to it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose-Einstein_condensate

seems like they have found at least one more since then

sooner_born_1960
1/22/2007, 12:55 AM
What about quark-gluon plasmas, fermionic condensates, strange matter, superfluids, and supersolids?

Ike
1/22/2007, 01:02 AM
ah, the wonderful internet. Bose-Einstein Condensate... the opposite of plasma, basically. "discovered" in 1995

thats actually not a terrible description...although its not really that intuitive.

Not all gasses can become a BEC at very low temperatures...only those that behave as composite bosons. However, all gasses do become plasmas at high enough temperatures.

1stTimeCaller
1/22/2007, 01:03 AM
I was just happy last week when a guy at work said something about sublimation that I knew what he was talking about.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2007, 01:07 AM
I was just happy last week when a guy at work said something about sublimation that I knew what he was talking about.

I engage in sublimination at least three times a week.

1stTimeCaller
1/22/2007, 01:09 AM
you'll go blind!

Ike
1/22/2007, 01:10 AM
What about quark-gluon plasmas, fermionic condensates, strange matter, superfluids, and supersolids?

an argument could be made for the first two. stable strange matter has never been observed in the lab. superfluids are a characterization of any fluid which flows with no viscosity (as a BEC does), and supersolids have not been created in any lab.

proud gonzo
1/22/2007, 01:20 AM
thats actually not a terrible description...although its not really that intuitive.

Not all gasses can become a BEC at very low temperatures...only those that behave as composite bosons. However, all gasses do become plasmas at high enough temperatures.i just want to know why they never mentioned this in my chemistry and physics classes in high school

Ike
1/22/2007, 01:30 AM
i just want to know why they never mentioned this in my chemistry and physics classes in high school
probably because your chemistry and physics teachers had never heard of them.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2007, 01:35 AM
probably because your chemistry and physics teachers had never heard of them.

Heck, they hadn't even discovered it when I graduated high school.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with someone when I was taking Calc IV. "Hell, there's FOUR calculuses now? It only went up to THREE when I was in school."

yermom
1/22/2007, 03:43 AM
i think they only have 3 in Stoolwater

RacerX
1/22/2007, 07:43 AM
Kind of reminds me of Rick Moranis in Parenthood.
A tremendous movie and I'm NOT being sarcastic.

and

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes3/Parenthood661.jpeg

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2007, 08:49 AM

Are you not entertained???!!!!!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39131000/jpg/_39131069_russell203.jpg

sooneron
1/22/2007, 09:55 AM
Gladiator - Average movie.
YAY!!! Braveheart in Rome!!
Good acting , average script, nice visuals.

C&CDean
1/22/2007, 10:33 AM
You're all a bunch of ****ing hillbillies.

The clouds bump their heads. This creates thunder. The pain from bumping their heads causes the clouds to cry. Thus, rain.

Geez, is it really that difficult?

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 10:37 AM
i figured deans answer would have been closer to this:

"why is it raining daddy"

"because god loves the crops son"

BeetDigger
1/22/2007, 11:01 AM

I left the site last night and didn't come back till this am. Good jorb PG. Yes, that is the one. She just rattled it off the other day and I said "What"? Anyway, I am very impressed that she was taught that in 3rd grade and that she remembers it.

skycat
1/22/2007, 11:22 AM
I used to work with a Mechanical Engineer that was always using everyday stuff to illustrate physics to everyone, including his 2 year old son. He was telling me that he had his son at the park on one of those merry-go-round (?) deals that spin around. The son was sitting in the middle holding on, and abruptly stands up and starts walking toward the outside without holding on.

:rolleyes:

This is so going to be me.

A few years ago one of my neighbor's kids asked some question about stars, so I launched into an explanation of the speed of light and how it relates to the age of the stars. The kid didn't ask me too many questions after that.:D

MiccoMacey
1/22/2007, 11:22 AM
Sorry jkm, we disagree.

Kids will understand more than you think. And if you raise a child speaking to him/her in more "adult" conversations, the child wll inevitably pick things up quicker.

Obviously, there are things a child can't comprehend. But the more you speak to a child in a manner that pushes them, the quicker they will grasp larger, abstract concepts.

I'd be willing to bet that parent has spoken to that child similarly from the moment that child was born. And I'll bet that child understood his parent way better than you did.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum as you on this. I'll never understand parents who talk down to their child because they are a child. Baby talk is for babies...and that's it.

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2007, 11:25 AM
geez.

there's no middle ground between Confuscious and gah gah.

MiccoMacey
1/22/2007, 11:26 AM
There is. Most parents don't know it. I've heard waaay more parents talk down to a child than speak to him/her in an adult manner.

sooner_born_1960
1/22/2007, 11:44 AM
just read this
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0764552430.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

C&CDean
1/22/2007, 11:46 AM
There is. Most parents don't know it. I've heard waaay more parents talk down to a child than speak to him/her in an adult manner.

Yeah, when one of the boys said "daddy, where did I come from?" I said "well son, I ****ed your mom."

sooner_born_1960
1/22/2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, when one of the boys said "daddy, where did I come from?" I said "well son, I ****ed your mom."
Or this.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/3527701370.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/22/2007, 11:54 AM
I used to have a little neighbor girl that I LOVED talking to. She was a very small girl and she had this little, cute squeaky voice. So cute. Her parents never talked babytalk to her so she could carry on a decent conversation. She would just crack me up with some of the stuff she'd say.

One day I was watering plants on my front porch and she came walking up:

Her: 'Hi, BSG'
Me: 'Hi, Brianne...whatcha doin'?...'
Her: 'Nothing...I saw you and thought I'd come over for a short visit...'
Me: 'Well, I'm glad you did...you ready for school to start again?'
Her: 'Yes...I like summertime but I miss my friends...'
Me: 'Yeah...I can understand that...hey, did you know that your shoes are on the wrong feet?...'
Her: Yeah...I find myself in this predicament quite often...'

She was about 5 or 6 at the time....heh.

Mjcpr
1/22/2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry jkm, we disagree.

Kids will understand more than you think. And if you raise a child speaking to him/her in more "adult" conversations, the child wll inevitably pick things up quicker.

Obviously, there are things a child can't comprehend. But the more you speak to a child in a manner that pushes them, the quicker they will grasp larger, abstract concepts.

I'd be willing to bet that parent has spoken to that child similarly from the moment that child was born. And I'll bet that child understood his parent way better than you did.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum as you on this. I'll never understand parents who talk down to their child because they are a child. Baby talk is for babies...and that's it.
Dad, I have embarassingly once again defacated in my clothed, fecal holding device. I don't know why I do this. I, uh, hate to ask you this again but if you could clean my *** that would be great. And as always, one finger, circular motion.

skycat
1/22/2007, 12:02 PM
Dad, I have embarassingly once again defacated in my clothed, fecal holding device. I don't know why I do this. I, uh, hate to ask you this again but if you could clean my *** that would be great. And as always, one finger, circular motion.

That would be so much better than the alternative.

scream really loud while sobbing

Mongo
1/22/2007, 12:04 PM

and dont you look at me!!

C&CDean
1/22/2007, 12:08 PM
I always raised my boys to be self-reliant. One time we were eating at a King's Table Smorgasbord and my youngest (maybe 3 at the time) says "daddy, me gotta go caca." I ask one of the older brothers to help him to the bathroom. After a few minutes here comes the youngest - without any pants on - grinning from ear to ear - going "daddy, me go caca and wipe me's butt." Loud. In front of everybody. Of course he had caca smeared halfway up his back, down his legs, and all over his hands/face. I go to clean him up and ask the older boy "dang, I told you to help him." He says "he locked me out." It's funny now, but not so much then.

Mjcpr
1/22/2007, 12:11 PM
and dont you look at me!!

:D

RacerX
1/22/2007, 03:01 PM
Sorry jkm, we disagree.

:D

soonerbrat
1/22/2007, 03:07 PM

I think that was my ex husband...about 15 years ago...but hey, my son's a genius, so i guess it worked :D

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 03:10 PM
jk, jkm, whatever it takes......

proud gonzo
1/22/2007, 04:09 PM
i think talking about moledules might have been overboard, but actually answering kids' questions and not talking down to them is awesome. I always hated when adults thought i wouldn't understand things.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2007, 04:12 PM
my only thought was the dad drawing a H20 model and saying "this is what rain looks like"

with the kid looking out the window thinking "really? cause i'm seeing something different"

i just thought the guys tone was funny, especially when he said "does that make sense"

Mjcpr
1/22/2007, 04:13 PM
i think talking about moledules might have been overboard, but actually answering kids' questions and not talking down to them is awesome. I always hated when adults thought i wouldn't understand things.

Hush. The grown ups are talking now.

proud gonzo
1/22/2007, 04:17 PM
:P

my only thought was the dad drawing a H20 model and saying "this is what rain looks like"

with the kid looking out the window thinking "really? cause i'm seeing something different"

i just thought the guys tone was funny, especially when he said "does that make sense"
yeah, I don't think I would have gone that route with the explanation. I probably would have gone more with the evaporation, condensation, precipitation thing. heh