PDA

View Full Version : Dog Question

Norman Sooner
1/20/2007, 01:56 PM
So i have a black lab mix that is about 1 1/2 years old and today this black lab puppy came up to my door and was trying to get in outta the rain. Both of these dogs are males, any of you guys know if they will get along? I introduced the puppy to my dog and the puppy snipped at my dog...My dog was simply sniffing the puppy out...Im curious to see if that is normal forthe puppy to bite at the older dog or if i will have to get rid of the puppy?

josh09
1/20/2007, 02:01 PM
Well it depends on if the puppy was really trying to bite your dog or if it was just playing cuz i have a 1 year old white lab that does that. But thats usually just the way they play.

sooneron
1/20/2007, 02:04 PM
Typical behavior of the puppy to do that when a little freaked. It was his way of setting the boundary. Do you know this puppy? Or did it just find you? If it was a behavior that persists around people/children- then you have a problem. Some dogs just don't get along great with other dogs. Also, look for the pups body language. Does it wag it's tail at all when the older dog is present?

GottaHavePride
1/20/2007, 02:06 PM
If it's just a little nip it's just playing. Plus, dogs like having a clear chain of dominance. Once your dog establishes that he's in charge, the puppy will calm down. I'd be more concerned about where the puppy came from, if it's had its shots, etc. etc.

EDIT: it should be really obvious whether the puppy's just playing or is actually mean. If it's mean it'll be showing teeth, snarling, and all its hair will stand up.

Norman Sooner
1/20/2007, 02:06 PM
Thats what concerned me was the fact that his tail was tucked between his legs...But it is the nicest dog in that it has stayed inside and slept and played with me all day...I even tried the ol' trick of grabbing at his food while he was eating and he didnt do anything but keep eating..

sooneron
1/20/2007, 02:08 PM
Thats what concerned me was the fact that his tail was tucked between his legs...But it is the nicest dog in that it has stayed inside and slept and played with me all day...I even tried the ol' trick of grabbing at his food while he was eating and he didnt do anything but keep eating..
The tail tucked under thing is also a submissive move. My dog does it a bit when he's around new dogs- it's really a great sign that the dog is submissive and will prolly be good around kids. He may have been just saying "No means NO" to the lab.

GottaHavePride
1/20/2007, 02:09 PM
Thats what concerned me was the fact that his tail was tucked between his legs...

That's "submissive" stance. Doggie language for "we're cool, right? I won't make any trouble." Seriously, if the dog was actually in attack mode there would be no doubt in your mind.

olevetonahill
1/20/2007, 02:32 PM
they will be fine , Labs are the coolest .

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/20/2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe your dog is the puppy's father.

picasso
1/20/2007, 02:42 PM
they'll get along. a lab puppy showed up at my house and Camden took it home. she has an adult lab and catahoula. the puppy submitted and they were forceful but not mean.
now they all get along.

why can't we?

finito

Norman Sooner
1/20/2007, 03:05 PM
Sooner Born Sooner Bred- Unless my miracle my lab cant make no more babies.. here is a pic of the baby...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/snrbrdnbrn/P1200083.jpg

Rogue
1/20/2007, 03:21 PM
Sometimes One Dog Is A Problem (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wouoQoyaaIQ)

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2007, 04:23 PM
one of the two dogs will establish the alpha role at some point.....it really depends on how much socialization your dog has had with other dogs, the pup is not long from the litter...my guess is they'll be fine

having 2 dogs is just as easy as having one and a whole lot more entertaining! spek to you for taking a pup out of the rain :)