PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Class #'s

Ban One Sooner
1/20/2007, 01:04 PM
We seem to be a bit lean on number of commitments this year relative to Stoops' first few seasons. I haven't been following very closely so my apologies in advance, but is this due to limited # of scholarships available due to a young team last year or more to losing out on some players moreso than in past years? Thanks.

As long as we get in a steady stream of massive O-linemen (and keep them) and D-linemen who can fill gaps and create pressure and a corner here and there who can stick to tall/fast wideouts, I'm pretty happy.

Ground_Attack
1/20/2007, 02:09 PM
its from a lack of available 'ships this year.

The Consumate Showman
1/20/2007, 02:24 PM
We only have about 17 or 18 to give out this year and some are talking like we won't be giving out all of them. I think we will probably sign Donald Stephenson, Frank Alexander, and maybe one more...maybe, which would put this year's class at 15 or 16. We could save a ship or two for next years class which is shaping up to be HUGE.

We will do much better in the state of Texas next year because of the depth that UT signed into this class. A lot of kids are going to look at UT and see a lot of depth and hopefully a RRS loss and make the ride across the river to the promised land.

dog-knee
1/20/2007, 03:04 PM
Seems like we were somewhere down in the teens for last year's recruiting class right up until signing day. Then, we finished with a flurry, and ended up being ranked in the top ten; although not as high as "Mr. Februrary"'s class down in SAXET.

Let's hope we finish strong with a couple pick-ups in the D-Line and RB category. Then, let's hope those new recruits develop into SOONERS!

Collier11
1/20/2007, 08:46 PM
Not necessarily on topic, but I see one of our problems from all the players leaving from the 01 class I think it is was that it really hurt our O-line depth and even though we are so young I dont think we will get back to normal til next years class. Id like to know what Showman or Rhino thought about that

starrca23
1/20/2007, 09:06 PM
If you look at rivals, look at the average stars on the team rankings, there are only 9 or so teams with an average above OU even though there OU is ranked about 20th. We are still getting high quality recruits this year, just not large numbers in this class.

TXBOOMER
1/20/2007, 11:09 PM
I thought we were up to 20 scholarships available?

sooneron
1/20/2007, 11:13 PM
Not necessarily on topic, but I see one of our problems from all the players leaving from the 01 class I think it is was that it really hurt our O-line depth and even though we are so young I dont think we will get back to normal til next years class. Id like to know what Showman or Rhino thought about that
Don't you mean 03?? 01's class was gone after 05.
03-WR- T Ross, M Johnson,
QB- Grady
RB - Tennial
TE- W Roberts
OL- A Millington, B Zimpel, B Keith, A Reid - he played a little
DL - Moe Dampeer
DB - Tony Cade - didn't pan out too well

Mjcpr
1/20/2007, 11:49 PM
Roberts was a JUCO, I believe.

The Consumate Showman
1/21/2007, 12:22 AM

I'll telll you what some people have told me about our O-Line depth issue/s.

Hiring Coach Patton could have been Bob's best hire to date. Period. If you go back and look at Northwestern's seniors they sent to the draft when Patton was the coach there, they sent a lot of O-Linemen into the league.

He is apparently a phenomenal coach and recruiter. Plus, I think his style of coaching the O-Line, while not as "extreme" as KW, is in itself highly effective, as can be seen by our H U G E improvement/s in protecting the QB this past year with a Y O U N G bunch.

And if you need further proof, I know first hand that one of the coaches on our staff believes that Trent Williams - mind you a 3 or 4 star recruit last year depending on the service - MIGHT very well be the best player, regardless of position, on the team. This is in part, of course, due to Trent and his work ethic and football smarts, but I was told that some of it aslo had to do with Coach Patton simply being an awesome coach.

The Consumate Showman
1/21/2007, 12:23 AM
Roberts was a JUCO, I believe.

And Brandon Keith.

What a pusskins group of O-Linemen that was...uggggghhh...

PLaw
1/21/2007, 12:31 AM
QB- Grady
RB - Tennial
TE- W Roberts
DL - Moe Dampeer

I remember hearing that 14 from the class of '03 are no longer on the team. The ones that really hurt now are Grady, Damp, and the OL group. Unspeakable name caused Grady to jump - I wonder what he is thinking now??

GO SOONERS

Collier11
1/21/2007, 11:50 AM
QB- Grady
RB - Tennial
TE- W Roberts
DL - Moe Dampeer

Thats the one, my fault on the year

Collier11
1/21/2007, 11:52 AM
I'll telll you what some people have told me about our O-Line depth issue/s.

Hiring Coach Patton could have been Bob's best hire to date. Period. If you go back and look at Northwestern's seniors they sent to the draft when Patton was the coach there, they sent a lot of O-Linemen into the league.

He is apparently a phenomenal coach and recruiter. Plus, I think his style of coaching the O-Line, while not as "extreme" as KW, is in itself highly effective, as can be seen by our H U G E improvement/s in protecting the QB this past year with a Y O U N G bunch.

And if you need further proof, I know first hand that one of the coaches on our staff believes that Trent Williams - mind you a 3 or 4 star recruit last year depending on the service - MIGHT very well be the best player, regardless of position, on the team. This is in part, of course, due to Trent and his work ethic and football smarts, but I was told that some of it aslo had to do with Coach Patton simply being an awesome coach.

Definitely, I think Patton is doing a great job. We developed so fast this year and other than the occasional breakdown which will happen and considering the fact that we had so many fresh and soph playing, we were a GOOD line