PDA

View Full Version : As if Texass REALLY cares...

SoonerStormchaser
1/19/2007, 03:18 PM
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- A burger battle is brewing between a Texas state legislator and the owners of a restaurant who claim the hamburger was invented in New Haven, Connecticut.

With the new session of the Texas legislature now under way, Republican State Rep. Betty Brown has proposed a resolution declaring Athens, Texas, the original home of the hamburger.

Brown, an Athens resident, says that a long-ago resident of the town had a luncheonette in the late 1880s and sold the first burgers there.

Those claims are not sitting well with Ken Lassen Sr., 89, the third-generation owner of New Haven eatery Louis' Lunch, established in 1895. He says his grandfather came up with the first hamburger there.

Lassen said it happened in 1900 when a man rushed into the restaurant asked for something he could eat on the run. Ken Lassen's grandfather grabbed a broiled beef patty and put it between two slices of bread.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr., advocating for his city, backs the Lassens and their claims.

"We are even the birthplace of George Bush who wants people to think he's from Texas," the mayor said. "So yes, the hamburger is as much a New Haven original as President Bush. Get over it, Texas."

I'm sure millions of :texan: are losing sleep tonight over this.

Do those New Englander yankees have anything better to do?

RFH Shakes
1/19/2007, 04:04 PM
"With the new session of the Texas legislature now under way, Republican State Rep. Betty Brown has proposed a resolution declaring Athens, Texas, the original home of the hamburger."

Glad to see they are tackling those important issues.

Frozen Sooner
1/19/2007, 04:13 PM
I dunno, Stormchaser. On the one hand, I see a private citizen claiming that his grandfather invented the hamburger. On the other, I see the Texas State Legislature attempting to claim the hamburger.

Sounds like the Texans have a bit more time on their hands than the Connecticutters.

SoonerStormchaser
1/19/2007, 04:16 PM
True...they're both dumba$$es!

NYSooner1355
1/19/2007, 04:58 PM
Reading comprehension worked for me

;)

Okla-homey
1/19/2007, 05:21 PM
It's called a "Hamburger" not because it is made with ham, but because the port city of Hamburg in the Federal Republic of Germany is the original home of this chopped beef sammich.

sheesh.

NYSooner1355
1/19/2007, 05:23 PM
that is the meat itself, the putting it between the bread I think is the point of this asinine issue

Okla-homey
1/19/2007, 05:27 PM
I beg to differ. The Brits develoepd ground meat, but they called it "mince" and eat it out of a bowl in which they stir in mashed pertaters.

The Hamburgers were the first to discover the greatness of slapping a circle of ground beef between two pieces of bread.

BajaOklahoma
1/19/2007, 05:38 PM
Well, I have a picture of my great-grandfather in his hamburger stand in the Mangum Town Square on Founder's Day. Not sure of the date, but the streets were still dirt. 1900 - 1905 is the best guess so far.

Do I get to claim the first hamburger stand in Oklahoma was started in Mangum?

Pricetag
1/19/2007, 05:53 PM
I think the determining factor is who invented the hamburger bun, because a beef patty between two slices of bread is not a hamburger.

NYSooner1355
1/19/2007, 05:57 PM
I think the determining factor is who invented the hamburger bun, because a beef patty between two slices of bread is not a hamburger.

that is a ghetto burger and I think it still qualifies as a hamburger...especially (as Eddie Murphy so eloquently described it in "Raw") when the ketchup makes the bread all pink and sticky

BeetDigger
1/19/2007, 07:41 PM
Well, I have a picture of my great-grandfather in his hamburger stand in the Mangum Town Square on Founder's Day. Not sure of the date, but the streets were still dirt. 1900 - 1905 is the best guess so far.

Do I get to claim the first hamburger stand in Oklahoma was started in Mangum?

For what it's worth, you have my vote. :texan:

bluedogok
1/19/2007, 08:46 PM
"With the new session of the Texas legislature now under way, Republican State Rep. Betty Brown has proposed a resolution declaring Athens, Texas, the original home of the hamburger."

Glad to see they are tackling those important issues.
Well.....the Texas legislature just started so no one nor their wallets are safe for the time being.