PDA

View Full Version : Blades of Glory

KC//CRIMSON
1/19/2007, 12:28 PM
Hmmmm. Doesn't look as funny as Ferrell's other movies.:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ec2zry7AM

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/dreamworks_skg/blades_of_glory/_group_photos/jon_heder2.jpg

Blue
3/29/2007, 10:36 PM
I think this is going to be one of his best. Not the best because Anchorman is greatness.

I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

Twice as good as Talladega Nights.

RiddlerOK
3/29/2007, 11:11 PM
Is it just me or is this film being mega overhyped? Everywhere I've looked this past week, Will Ferrell has been a guest on someone's talk show.

bri
3/29/2007, 11:25 PM
This looks like it will be made of lose and fail.

Blue
3/29/2007, 11:27 PM
This looks like it will be made of lose and fail.

You're still holding on to some movie that was made in the 90's man! Grindhouse will be no Pulp Fiction.

Will Ferrels "same flic, different sport" is all we've got.

bri
3/29/2007, 11:34 PM
No it won't. It'll be better.

Besides, it's TWO movies. Even if Q stinks it up, Rodriguez will bring it home. Plus, Eli Roth's "fake trailer" sounds fun.

this, on the other hand, sounds like Will Ferrel playing The One Will Ferrel Role yet again.

Blue
3/29/2007, 11:39 PM
ok. I'll go see Grindhouse. BUT! Only because Rose Mcgowan is hot. and she has a gun for a leg.

skycat
3/30/2007, 12:03 AM
No it won't. It'll be better.

Besides, it's TWO movies. Even if Q stinks it up, Rodriguez will bring it home. Plus, Eli Roth's "fake trailer" sounds fun.

this, on the other hand, sounds like Will Ferrel playing The One Will Ferrel Role yet again.

Q would never go to the same well over, and over, and over...

I am IN for Blades of Glory

Blue
3/30/2007, 12:05 AM
Plus Gob's in it.

birddog
3/30/2007, 12:20 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blades_of_glory/

i've pretty much given up on this guy. but, i'll still see it a few years from now when it's on tbs.

william_brasky
3/30/2007, 07:18 AM
I don't like the looks of this one, however he's currently working on a film about an ABA team in the 70's that I am interested in.

colleyvillesooner
3/30/2007, 07:42 AM
Grindhouse is one of those films that everyone is so pumped for, even if it sucked, they'd never say, cause then they were so pumped for something that sucked.

Like Godzilla. ;)

william_brasky
3/30/2007, 08:05 AM
I don't like the looks of this one, however he's currently working on a film about an ABA team in the 70's that I am interested in.

It's called Semi-Pro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-Pro

Taxman71
3/30/2007, 08:46 AM
I thought this thread was about hockey and Nintendo games.

OUDoc
3/30/2007, 08:49 AM
My son's going to see this later today. He's also wearing a pink Hollister shirt to school today. I told him the combination of a pink t-shirt and a male-male figure skating movie may not send the message he wants. Or maybe it is....

royalfan5
3/30/2007, 10:36 AM
I would rather be kicked in the junk by Dean than see this movie.

3/30/2007, 10:39 AM
Sicko

King Crimson
3/30/2007, 10:41 AM
i'd rather watch the last 2 minutes of the Fiesta Bowl, than see this predicatable loser.

frankensooner
3/30/2007, 11:12 AM
This is my wife's pick of the week. I will go to make her happy. Next week I will see Grindhouse by my lonesome!!! AWESOMENESS!!!!

I would rather see Meet the Robinsons in Disney 3D, Than BOG, but if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

KC//CRIMSON
3/30/2007, 11:24 AM
'Blades of Glory': Will Power, By Kurt Loder

Will Ferrell's latest is as light and inconsequential as a ball of lint, and pretty funny. The lightness helps. In a movie like last year's hugely successful "Talladega Nights," with its sprawling satire of red-state yokeldom, Ferrell's improvisational comic brilliance was given too much room to fill; it began to seem unedited, and then to creep uncomfortably close to the verge of shtick. "Blades of Glory" is 15 minutes shorter than that picture, and Ferrell doesn't have to carry the whole film himself. He's found an ideal foil.

That would be Jon Heder. With his toothy, incredulous demeanor (he resembles a lightly stunned cherub), Heder provides a perfect inverse to Ferrell's fearless vulgarity. And the über-glittery world of professional ice skating in which the movie is set doesn't require heavy satirical drubbing — it satirizes itself.

Ferrell plays Chazz Michael Michaels, a lecherous, booze-addled slob who also happens to be one of the top pro skaters in the country. He would be the top skater were it not for Jimmy MacElroy (Heder), an icky-sweet blond skating purist who, in his tight, spangly Lycra outfits, is frequently mistaken for a girl. Chazz and Jimmy once tied for first place in a pro competition, got into an ugly brawl, and were banished for life from the field of men's single skating. Their exile ends two years later, though, with the appearance of Jimmy's most ardent fan, a skate-groupie named Hector (the wonderfully whiny Nick Swardson). Hector desperately wants to see his hero rehabilitated ("It's embarrassing stalking a has-been"), and he thinks he's found a way — a loophole in the pro regulations that would allow Jimmy and Chazz to re-enter the sport in the duo category. Two men have never done this before, understandably; but there are no rules against it.

An out-to-pasture coach called Coach (Craig T. Nelson) takes them on, and soon has them back on the ice. But the twosome thing proves particularly difficult for Chazz. Not only does he despise Jimmy ("You look like a 15-year-old girl, but not hot"); he also has to rein in his loutish propensities for alcoholic enhancement and triumphal crotch-waggling. Jimmy, for his part, is both appalled and fascinated by Chazz — by his gross, lumpy body, festooned with tattoos memorializing the top female skaters he's "tapped" over the years, and by his odd résumé, which includes both a number of international skating championships and "an adult-video award." ("I'm a sex addict," Chazz says. "It's a real disease, with doctors and everything.")

As Jimmy and Chazz start getting a credible act together, complete with loopy pirouettes and high-flying partner-tosses, two snotty rivals — the current team-category champs, played by Will Arnett and Amy Poehler — watch from the wings with growing alarm. They dispatch their younger sister (Jenna Fischer) to spy on the upstart duo, but she falls for Jimmy, and the plot clicks into gear.

Of course, the plot is just a coat hanger for the movie's mantle of rancid japes, non-sequitur wisecracks and silly situations, often involving one skater, in mid-routine, suddenly finding his face within nuzzling distance of his partner's jiggly parts. (Sexual anxiety, both gay-related and incestuous, is the movie's unsubtle subtext.) First-time feature directors Josh Gordon and Will Speck (who deserve some sort of award immediately for the series of Geico "caveman" commercials they created) know how to time laughs, and apart from a funny skates-on-pavement chase sequence that's overextended, they keep the story humming along. The action is a complex blend of green screens, wire stunts and the actual skating of Ferrell and Heder, and it's fairly seamless.

But the stars of the show are the show. Heder, with his snappy reactions and his bride-of-Elton-John skating ensembles, is funny beyond the call of a second banana. And Ferrell, with his little piggy eyes and his bursts of unfounded braggadocio, is frequently hilarious. We've seen him do this sort of thing before, of course, but he's so inspired that he could easily go on doing it for years to come. Let's hope he doesn't, though. Even a master comic can wear out his welcome (as Ferrell nearly did with his garish turn in "Wedding Crashers"). The man is clearly capable of much more than assembly-line yuk fests, and one hopes he'll move forward. "Blades of Glory" might be a nice high note to go out on.

("Blades of Glory" is a Paramount Pictures release, produced in part by MTV Films. Both companies are subsidiaries of Viacom.)

This report is from MTV News.

bri
3/30/2007, 11:44 AM
Grindhouse is one of those films that everyone is so pumped for, even if it sucked, they'd never say, cause then they were so pumped for something that sucked.

Like Godzilla. ;)

Actually, I hated Godzilla. I wasn't even out of the theater before I threatend to punch whoever had suggested that we all go see Godzilla. If Grindhouse sucks, I'll say it sucks.

KC//CRIMSON
3/30/2007, 11:52 AM
Actually, I hated Godzilla. I wasn't even out of the theater before I threatend to punch whoever had suggested that we all go see Godzilla. If Grindhouse sucks, I'll say it sucks.

You saw Godzilla in the theater? Bwaaaahaaaaahaaaaa!

Wait a minute, ****! I think I did too.:mad:

And yes, if Grindhouse sucks, I'll say it sucks too. However, judging by the flawless track record of the directors, I doubt it.:cool:

Widescreen
3/31/2007, 12:24 AM
We went and saw Blades of Glory tonight.

OMG, this was SO much better than I was expecting. We laughed. A lot. It's got Pam from The Office and she looked really cute. And Gob and his wife were funny. The music they chose for the final skating championship was absolutely hysterical. Unfortunately there were a bunch of teenagers sitting in front of us who apparently didn't know the song: The Theme from Flash Gordon. You know, FLASH! AAAHHHH! I was dying.

And I will never forget the concept of The Boob Handshake.

skycat
3/31/2007, 12:22 PM
We saw it last night too.

It had a bunch of laughs for those of you who like Anchorman and Talladega Nights. But while those other two movies had a scene or two that just slayed me, this one never quite pushed it up to 11.

Saw it in a full theater, and people were laughing a lot.

jk the sooner fan
3/31/2007, 12:35 PM
if you go to a will ferrell movie with really high expectations, then you need to rethink your taste in movies

the boy said it was funny....i'll wait for it to come out on dvd

skycat
3/31/2007, 12:38 PM
if you go to a will ferrell movie with really high expectations, then you need to rethink your taste in movies

the boy said it was funny....i'll wait for it to come out on dvd

I ain't rethinking anything.:P

jk the sooner fan
3/31/2007, 12:52 PM
i'm just saying that some expect GREATNESS from will ferrell, he's a yuck monkey

i think he's funny and i like him, but i dont expect too much when i watch his movies

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2007, 03:26 PM
i loved talladega nights anchorman, elf, zoolander and everything else he has done but this wasnt as funny to me as those.

Blue
3/31/2007, 06:32 PM
When are people going to realize John Heder can't act? It's painful to watch. I think he's used up his 15 minutes.

sooneron
3/31/2007, 08:45 PM
I can't wait for Grindhouse to suck.