PDA

View Full Version : She knoweth better than thou

Jerk
1/19/2007, 10:26 AM
Posted on Wed, Jan. 17, 2007
Where's the outrage about gun violence?
By Karen Heller
The Philadelphia Inquirer

Any fool can kill a deer. I know, because I've almost done it several times. All that's required is a car driven at a relatively good speed, 30 miles an hour should do it, near a wooded area around dusk or later.

Voila, venison a la Camry.

As for pen-raised fowl, released on exclusive preserves for desk-bound potentates, that doesn't require much skill, either, simply money and will, though it's preferable not to spray deep-pocketed supporters with birdshot.

The less "a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State" rings true in contemporary America, the more the gun culture revs up its high-caliber lobbying and propaganda machine.

We've made smokers pariah, forcing them out to the street. Alcoholism and drug abuse, once private demons, have become public crusades. Abolishing trans fats is a civic battle legislated by urban councils.

Guns, however, reign supreme. Criticize the need for guns, the obsession with guns, and you're labeled unpatriotic, anti-Constitution or - horrors - a liberal.

Any politician running for higher office has to kiss the long barrel of the NRA and gun fetishists, preferably by praising gun ownership and going hunting - a dwindling passion - to show how authentically American he is.

"This is trying to perpetuate the myth of Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders, the legacy of Buffalo Bill," says Joan Burbick, author of "Gun Show Nation: Gun Culture and American Democracy." "Tying gun rights to civil rights, transforming Americans into an armed citizenry, coincided with the civil rights riots."

Race, she argues, has plenty to do with it.

As we head into the new year, let's hold on to the one number that trumps all others: 406.

That's how many people were murdered in Philadelphia last year. And here's where generalizations hold up. Most of the victims were young. Most of them were poor. Most of them were black. Most of them were killed with guns.

Our problems are bigger than guns. But guns are our problem.

Armed Americans have more guns than they could possibly need. Guns, as Burbick points out, "are durable goods that don't tend to wear out." So the gun industry keeps producing more terrorizing models that satisfy macho fantasies, outsized security fears, and haven't a thing to do with hunting quail. As if anyone cares about quail.

The myth of the fighter permeates throughout consumerism, Gap Kids fatigues in blue and pink.

Second Amendment militiamen tirelessly argue that guns don't kill people, people do. But guns kill people far more efficiently than people without them do. Guns allow disturbed people to shoot up Amish schools. And thugs to shoot children in front of city schools. And distraught kids to terrorize suburban schools.

Why aren't local governments as obsessed with guns and crime as they are with partially hydrogenated oils? Why aren't the pious as worried about violence as they are about gay marriage? Where is the PETA for people being senselessly killed? Where are the celebrities clamoring for assistance to make this country a safer place?

We need a crusade for peace at home, too. We need to attack guns and the all-too-powerful lobbyists and manufacturers the way cigarettes came under siege. In the modern world, among "civilized democracies," America is a repository of shame when it comes to gun violence. We're modeling ourselves on antiquated ideals, holding on to values that are firing us back to the Wild West.

Four hundred and six is a hideous number no one in this region should forget. And then, just to reinforce the horror of it all, a minute - only one minute - into the new year, the death tally started anew.
----

TMcGee86
1/19/2007, 12:00 PM
Simple enough. We just make guns not exist anymore.

Done.

Man, I dont know why we didn't think of this before.

C&CDean
1/19/2007, 12:09 PM
East coast people are funny.

NYSooner1355
1/19/2007, 12:13 PM
I am by no means a gun aficionado, but what I've never understood is how does getting rid of legal means of purchasing guns end murders that, more likely than not, were committed with illegally purchased guns, rifles, etc...?

C&CDean
1/19/2007, 12:15 PM
I am by no means a gun aficionado, but what I've never understood is how does getting rid of legal means of purchasing guns end murders that, more likely than not, were committed with illegally purchased guns, rifles, etc...?

Dude, us Okies are rubbing off on you. Good form!

NYSooner1355
1/19/2007, 12:17 PM
4 months of being here didn't suddenly make me start thinking this way...I've always felt that way...

eww..."okies are rubbing off" not a good sentence ;)

Jerk
1/19/2007, 12:21 PM
Speaking of rubbing off, has anyone seen the Keeley Hazell tape?

Ooooo! Ooooo! Ooooo! Gotta get my O face on!

Fugue
1/19/2007, 12:25 PM
Hunting is a dwindling passion? :rolleyes:

I've got a long barrel she can...uh nevermind.

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2007, 12:26 PM
I agree with everything the author had to say

about cities being worried about partially hydrogenated oils

Widescreen
1/19/2007, 12:32 PM
If we can't stop drug trafficking, how are we supposed to stop gun running? These people have no answer for the fact that only criminals would have guns then. They just say "well the police would have guns". So I'm supposed to just let me wife get raped and my head blown off while waiting for the cops. Good plan.

fadada1
1/19/2007, 12:42 PM
living up here in the philly area, they talked quite a bit about it. part of the problem is the mayor of philly - world class wanker. like new orlean's mayor, but without sticking his foot in his mouth to the national media (only local media). he's got a bad habit of "misplacing" funds. they've also stepped up the foot police force in the city. let's just say that many of them couldn't run out of sight in a day.

west philly is a special place. go 1 block west of the univ. of pennsylvania, and you might actually need to carry a gun (seriously). north philly isn't much better. this is where most of the problems occur. very poor, predominately black neighborhoods. that's not an excuse, it's a reality.

Frozen Sooner
1/19/2007, 12:50 PM
By no means am I a big proponent of gun control laws. Not even slightly.

However, the evidence doesn't seem to support the assertion that banning guns will suddenly allow crime to run rampant. Last I saw, the UK violent crime rate was one heck of a lot lower than ours. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the US has both the most liberal gun laws and the highest violent crime rate in the industrialized nations.

How is it that Brits aren't getting mown down in the streets by brigands?

Jerk
1/19/2007, 12:50 PM
You guys....you're not enlightened enough to realize that there would be peace without guns..

http://tegoor.nl/videos/added/Bay_Area_car_trashing.htm

Jerk
1/19/2007, 12:51 PM
By no means am I a big proponent of gun control laws. Not even slightly.

However, the evidence doesn't seem to support the assertion that banning guns will suddenly allow crime to run rampant. Last I saw, the UK violent crime rate was one heck of a lot lower than ours. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the US has both the most liberal gun laws and the highest violent crime rate in the industrialized nations.

What about Swizerland? Every male there is required to have a machine gun in his home, yet their crime rate is lower than Englands. I think there are other issues here.

Widescreen
1/19/2007, 12:52 PM
Maybe they just have fewer violent types over there. Does anyone really think that the thugs in our country would stop doing what they do best just because some new gun control laws are passed?

Frozen Sooner
1/19/2007, 12:53 PM
What about Swizerland? Every male there is required to have a machine gun in his home, yet their crime rate is lower than Englands. I think there are other issues here.

Fair enough. Of course, the Swiss are all required to serve in the military as well.

Jerk
1/19/2007, 01:01 PM
I don't want to sound like Adolf Hitler here, but I think the Swiss can thank their low crime rate on a homogeneous culture. Point is, guns are a factor, but they aren't THE factor. No, I'm not saying we're bad off because of minorities, but we are bad off for several reasons- a balkanized society and a hip-hop culture that glorifies gang-bangers are several reasons. Then there is the drug war, and surprisingly, we'd agree on the solution there.

As to the minorities, no one talks about us being Americans anymore. We're European Americans, or latinos, or blacks. We don't unify around our nationality, we seperate into our little clans. Just look at the prison system.

fadada1
1/19/2007, 01:06 PM
As to the minorities, no one talks about us being Americans anymore. We're European Americans, or latinos, or blacks. We don't unify around our nationality, we seperate into our little clans. Just look at the prison system.
correct. and i would now prefer to be called a german-scottish-irish-american. thank you.

Okla-homey
1/19/2007, 01:08 PM

While I agree that fewer guns in circulation negatively affects the number of gun-related deaths and it would be absurd to argue otherwise, we mustn't discount a relevant fact. Namely, the fact Brit cops have a much lower probable cause threshhold to meet before stopping and detaining those they suspect are up to no good. Thus, I respectfully suggest that many Brit violent crimes are nipped in the proverbial bud.

See, that same Constitution that guarentees my right to own guns (with regulation of course) is a two-edged sword that cuts another way to protect other American personal freedom.

Constitutions can be pesky things, depending on your point of view of course. The Brits have never felt the need to draft and ratify one.

Finally, if gang-bangers didn't have guns, they would merely revert to other means of killing. You've seen "The Warriors" right?;)

fadada1
1/19/2007, 01:12 PM
apparenty none of you have seen snatch and lock stock and two smoking barrels. those wankers have guns coming out their ears!!!

:D

Jerk
1/19/2007, 01:12 PM
snatch? That is what they named the Keeley Hazell tape?

NormanPride
1/19/2007, 01:18 PM
Look at Meiji era Japan. (I think). Weapons were banned and there were still a lot of vicious inventions that looked normal but were actually weapons. Violent types don't stop being violent because you take away a toy. They innovate and make even worse ones.

Frozen Sooner
1/19/2007, 01:21 PM
While I agree that fewer guns in circulation negatively affects the number of gun-related deaths and it would be absurd to argue otherwise, we mustn't discount a relevant fact. Namely, the fact Brit cops have a much lower probable cause threshhold to meet before stopping and detaining those they suspect are up to no good. Thus, I respectfully suggest that many Brit violent crimes are nipped in the proverbial bud.

See, that same Constitution that guarentees my right to own guns (with regulation of course) is a two-edged sword that cuts another way to protect other American personal freedom.

Constitutions can be pesky things, depending on your point of view of course. The Brits have never felt the need to draft and ratify one.

Finally, if gang-bangers didn't have guns, they would merely revert to other means of killing. You've seen "The Warriors" right?;)

Good point, though I think the British would be surprised to learn that the Magna Carta was never drafted nor ratified. It's nowhere near as strong as our own Constitution, of course, but it's still a document that limits the absolute power of the state.

fadada1
1/19/2007, 01:21 PM
snatch? That is what they named the Keeley Hazell tape?
ok, so i googles keeley hazell...

ZOWEE!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't mind dirtying her toothbrush in the morning.

Vaevictis
1/19/2007, 06:24 PM

Violent crime, iirc, is highly correlated with poverty.

In the UK, the number is something crazy, over 15%. In the US, it's about 12.5%. In Switzerland, it's less than 7%.

I bet that has something to do with it.