PDA

View Full Version : Fellow males, does this happen to you?

Jerk
1/18/2007, 09:05 PM
I'm 31 now, wife, house, etc...

I little fat, but otherwise healthy.

I'm getting to where I can't hear the phone. The thing rings and rings and rings, and I just go about my business. Oh, yeah, I can hear it ringing, but I ignore it. I don't make the conscious decision to ignore, becaues it doesn't even get my attention. Does this make sense? I mean, l literally don't hear it, even though I have the capability to..there is nothing wrong with my ears.

It's also getting much more difficult to hear my wife...She goes "blah blah blah blah.....blah......CURT!!!" me: "What?"

So, now, she tells me something, and when she gets done, she says: "what did I just say?"

(and I'm like, uhhhh)

OUHOMER
1/18/2007, 09:08 PM
welcome to my world. lol

Oldnslo
1/18/2007, 09:14 PM

I have really good hearing. But sometimes, the Wife Unit or the kids will try to talk to me from across the house, or walk away while talking and never increase their volume. I either can't or don't hear that.

usmc-sooner
1/18/2007, 09:22 PM
My kids must suffer from this as well. I tell them what to do and they look at me like I'm speaking Chinese.

Oldnslo
1/18/2007, 09:27 PM
Τα κατσίκια μου πρέπει να πάσχουν από αυτό επίσης. Τους λέω τι για να κάνω και αυτοί εξετάζω με όπως εγώ μιλώ τα κινέζικα.

WTF? You sure it's not Greek?

Jerk
1/18/2007, 09:28 PM
Well, lets pretend my last name is "Johnson"

My Step-mom calls this "Johnson Disease"

Evidently, my dad has it real bad.

Oldnslo
1/18/2007, 09:30 PM
You're in luck: If all men do have it, we can still call it "Johnson Disease."

OUinFLA
1/18/2007, 09:36 PM

I'm getting to where I can't hear the phone.
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah,blah, blah, blah, blah,

: "what did I just say?"

(and I'm like, uhhhh)

Sorry, It sounded like you said:

I'm getting to where I can't hear the phone.
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah,blah, blah, blah, blah,

: "what did I just say?"

(and I'm like, uhhhh)

Did I get that right?

usmc-sooner
1/18/2007, 09:39 PM
WTF? You sure it's not Greek?

hahaha

could be, but it's a language I don't speak. Crazy stuff dealing with these kids. I'd treat em like they were in boot camp cept the wife would treat me the same, and she's meaner than any DI I ever faced.

BeetDigger
1/18/2007, 09:47 PM
You're in luck: If all men do have it, we can still call it "Johnson Disease."

I'm glad that I don't have Johnson disease.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2007, 09:48 PM
i have bad hearing but its not the selective type....it came from all the noise exposure in the army......

Osce0la
1/18/2007, 09:56 PM

I'm getting to where I can't hear the phone. The thing rings and rings and rings, and I just go about my business. Oh, yeah, I can hear it ringing, but I ignore it. I don't make the conscious decision to ignore, becaues it doesn't even get my attention. Does this make sense? I mean, l literally don't hear it, even though I have the capability to..there is nothing wrong with my ears.

It's also getting much more difficult to hear my wife...She goes "blah blah blah blah.....blah......CURT!!!" me: "What?"

So, now, she tells me something, and when she gets done, she says: "what did I just say?"

(and I'm like, uhhhh)

heh...I'm already like this and my 2 year wedding anniversary is next Monday :D

That's probably not good is it?

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2007, 09:57 PM
My hearing is actually a curse. I hear EVERYTHING. My hearing is so acute that I could hear a pin drop on carpet 3 blocks away.

The problem though is that it is acute but not clear. All sound to me seems to kind of mix together into one constant noise. It really drives me nuts. But it also prevents me from sleeping since I can hear so well any little noise keeps me up and drives me crazy. Ever since I started sleeping with ear plugs I have slept sooo much better at night.

usmc-sooner
1/18/2007, 10:06 PM
i have bad hearing but its not the selective type....it came from all the noise exposure in the army......

yeah me too, I've got ok hearing out of one ear, and crappy out of the other one.

and it really drives my wife crazy.

OUinFLA
1/18/2007, 10:07 PM
My hearing is actually a curse. I hear EVERYTHING. My hearing is so acute that I could hear a pin drop on carpet 3 blocks away.

The problem though is that it is acute but not clear. All sound to me seems to kind of mix together into one constant noise. It really drives me nuts. But it also prevents me from sleeping since I can hear so well any little noise keeps me up and drives me crazy. Ever since I started sleeping with ear plugs I have slept sooo much better at night.

you sleep with ear plugs?

the list keeps growing.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2007, 10:17 PM
yeah me too, I've got ok hearing out of one ear, and crappy out of the other one.

and it really drives my wife crazy.

yep, my loss is totally in the left ear and its pretty bad

dont expect the VA to do anything about it either.....you'll get NOTHING for duty related hearing loss

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2007, 10:17 PM
you sleep with ear plugs?

the list keeps growing.

Yeah, I also sleep with a face mask because light bothers me as well. I can't even tolerate the light from an alarm clock so I don't have one.

BajaOklahoma
1/18/2007, 10:22 PM
yep, my loss is totally in the left ear and its pretty bad

dont expect the VA to do anything about it either.....you'll get NOTHING for duty related hearing loss

Hmmm, the f-i-l got hearing aids. Crappy ones, but he got them.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2007, 10:25 PM
oh i can get a hearing aid.......but there's no disability rating for hearing loss

TUSooner
1/18/2007, 10:31 PM
I used to like hearing the phone ring; it might have been my girlfriend or somebody who wanted to tell me something.
Now I hate it; it might be my wife or somebody who wants something.
I hear everything else pretty well, I just forget it instantly.

OUinFLA
1/18/2007, 10:33 PM
I used to like hearing the phone ring; it might have been my girlfriend or somebody who wanted to tell me something.
Now I hate it; it might be my wife or somebody who wants something.
I hear everything else pretty well, I just forget it instantly.

but.........couldn't it still be your girlfiend?

swardboy
1/18/2007, 10:35 PM
Huh?

TUSooner
1/18/2007, 10:52 PM
but.........couldn't it still be your girlfiend?
I told her never to call.

soonerboomer93
1/18/2007, 10:53 PM
Ever since I worked phone based support for dish, I hate the phone. I was never really about talking on it anyways. If it's not a name I know, I won't answer it. Even if it's a name I know sometimes I still won't answer the phone.

OCUDad
1/18/2007, 11:02 PM
Earplugs and a face mask.... Oh Lord, it just keeps getting better and better.

OUinFLA
1/18/2007, 11:13 PM
Earplugs and a face mask.... Oh Lord, it just keeps getting better and better.

SicEm should just have his own forum.

Just below South Oval

Mongo
1/18/2007, 11:19 PM
I am picturing him with this on
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/mask.jpg

and curled up with this
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/pillow.jpg

and I cant stop laughing

OUinFLA
1/18/2007, 11:30 PM
I am picturing him with this on
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/mask.jpg

and curled up with this
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/pillow.jpg

while staying here

http://www.homeandawaymagazine.com/files/ozarks/radisson_ad.jpg

sooner_born_1960
1/18/2007, 11:47 PM
Jerk, I've got the same problem. My wife will come home and ask me for anyone called. I'm like; "I don't know. I don't remember answering the phone". Sure enough there are two messages on the machine. I honestly didn't pay any attention to the ringing, I guess.
I, too, have very good hearing, but when I get involved in something I don't hear phones.
I've noticed it a work too. I'll be working away and glance over at my phone, and notice the red light on, meaning I have a message. I really didn't notice it ringing.

VeeJay
1/18/2007, 11:50 PM
Well....the only way you can have a healthy balance in the home if you don't answer your wife's calls, is if you stink up the bathroom from time to time.

SoonerTerry
1/19/2007, 04:40 AM

Ditto, howitzers are fun guns, but pullin the lanyard in a 155, well.. no amount of hearing protection is gonna save yer hearing there.

BoogercountySooner
1/19/2007, 06:57 AM
My wife says theres certain words that I hear well and then words that I don't hear at all. She says the words I don't hear are trash, yard, dishes, garage, clean and so on. The words she says I hear are football, fishing, hunting,4 wheeler, Sooners and OU.

Seriously

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2007, 07:03 AM
Ditto, howitzers are fun guns, but pullin the lanyard in a 155, well.. no amount of hearing protection is gonna save yer hearing there.

hmm, i spent 3.5 years at fort sill.......wasnt a cannon cocker but many a nights those 8 inch guns moved my bed around the floor a little

Tiptonsooner
1/19/2007, 07:47 AM
hmm, i spent 3.5 years at fort sill.......wasnt a cannon cocker but many a nights those 8 inch guns moved my bed around the floor a little

Man, it's hard not to. That is right over the plate.

I'll wait:pop:

TexasLidig8r
1/19/2007, 09:30 AM
Let's review..

Zima... check

Branson meltdown... check

Turning down two young hos at your door... check

Suspected of computer theft... check

Hillbilly pick up truck... check

Doesn't know how to jump start a car... check

Old girlfriend wants back in life after ripping out heart... check

Meltdown about GJ Kinne... check

Earplugs... check

Facemask... check

Am I missing anything young Padwan? :D

crawfish
1/19/2007, 09:34 AM
Selective hearing is a defense mechanism. If I reacted to everything, I'd be as nuts as my wife. :D

Osce0la
1/19/2007, 10:43 AM
My wife always wants to start talking in the middle of a TV show. She'll be completely silent during the commercials, then the show comes back on and BAM - she has to tell me about something that happened at work or whatever.

SoonerStormchaser
1/19/2007, 10:45 AM
Selective hearing...affecting more than your children!

BeetDigger
1/19/2007, 10:53 AM
My wife always wants to start talking in the middle of a TV show. She'll be completely silent during the commercials, then the show comes back on and BAM - she has to tell me about something that happened at work or whatever.

I think that Norm from Cheers said it best:

"Women, can't live with them. Pass me another beer."

Jerk
1/19/2007, 11:05 AM
'Selective hearing'

I should have known that's what it was.

I just don't know what to do when she says "Tell me what I just said to you!"

The only way I know how to turn off her yapper and make her go away is to start hitting on her and asking her she wants to have a little fun.

"wanna sit on daddy's lap?" makes her go away every time.

fadada1
1/19/2007, 11:15 AM
definitely selective hearing/listening.

it's not so much that you can't hear it, it's more that you won't hear it, because you choose not to... or you simply don't care.

i would say that it's a perception thing. by that, i mean your mind is occupied on something else. you may not be actively involved in whatever you are doing to warrent not hearing the phone, it's just that you are attending to something else (whether it's important or not). think of it like when you are on your cell phone in the car... you start to lose peripheral cues because your brain is occupied on something else - talking on the phone. at home, your brain recognizes the phone, but chooses not to send the signal for you to do something about it.

sooner_born_1960
1/19/2007, 11:26 AM
I think that Norm from Cheers said it best:

"Women, can't live with them. Pass me another beer."
I thought it was "Pass the beer nuts."

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2007, 11:28 AM
yeah its pass the beer nuts

fadada1
1/19/2007, 11:30 AM
there was that one, and "women, can't live with them... the end."

Osce0la
1/19/2007, 11:37 AM
'Sel

I just don't know what to do when she says "Tell me what I just said to you!"

I try to hear as much of it as possible without actually knowing what she is talking about. You hear a few bits and pieces of it and when she asks you have something to throw out there. Sometimes it works, other times it makes you look like an a**...Also, try to listen out for a laugh, that way you know you should smile or laugh so she thinks you are still listening.

are we really that horrible of people?

SoonerTerry
1/19/2007, 11:46 AM

heh, well if you were there in 87', I might have been the one throwin those joes.

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2007, 11:58 AM
i was there from 87 to 90!!!!!!!

remember when 2/2 lobbed that 9 round in on the drill sergeants and trainee's? i was one of the first MP's to respond to that

BeetDigger
1/19/2007, 12:08 PM
I thought it was "Pass the beer nuts."

Missed it by that much.

sitzpinkler
1/19/2007, 01:07 PM
are we really that horrible of people?

Nope, they are for making us sit and listen to their ridiculous nonsense and then getting all bent out of shape that none of it actually registered.

Sooner_Bob
1/19/2007, 01:13 PM
Sounds like it's a guy thing. A pretty common one at that.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2007, 01:32 PM
Let's review..

Zima... check

Branson meltdown... check

Turning down two young hos at your door... check

Suspected of computer theft... check

Hillbilly pick up truck... check

Doesn't know how to jump start a car... check

Old girlfriend wants back in life after ripping out heart... check

Meltdown about GJ Kinne... check

Earplugs... check

Facemask... check

Am I missing anything young Padwan? :D

You're missing a lot, but time will reveal the unseen.

sooner_born_1960
1/19/2007, 01:44 PM
Don't forget the cable repair thread.

OUinFLA
1/19/2007, 03:07 PM
and the pink VW.
although he finally did the honorable thing and totaled it.