PDA

View Full Version : Deers in my headlights

Ike
1/18/2007, 01:31 AM
As I drove up to the house after a quick trip to the store just now, there were three deers in my lawn. a doe, a buck and a fawn. I thought that was a little odd.

I tried to get pictures of them, but I was too far away in the dark for it to work. before I could adjust the timing of the flash to extend the range, they darted off...and whilst crossing the road, damn near got runt over by a security vehicle.

Octavian
1/18/2007, 01:39 AM
the word "whilst" is underused and underappreciated

Hot Rod
1/18/2007, 08:51 AM
the word "whilst" is underused and underappreciated

and "runt".

OSUAggie
1/18/2007, 08:57 AM
And the plural form of deer, which is apparently deers. Although, I suppose that has become acceptable nowadays.

Sooner_Bob
1/18/2007, 08:58 AM
I saw a few yesterday on the way to work.

tbl
1/18/2007, 08:59 AM
Corrected by an aggie??? Go figure!

fadada1
1/18/2007, 09:52 AM
they do know about hoofed animals.

usmc-sooner
1/18/2007, 10:01 AM
that is wierd usually it's a doe and a pair of fawns

C&CDean
1/18/2007, 10:08 AM
Deer? You want deer? My neighbor across the road sowed about 100 acres of rye (cereal rye, not the grass). We've counted over 40 deer at one time in his pasture. The bucks still have their antlers, and most of the fawns are getting big (eating that rye will do it to you). There's buckzilla (a 16-point who I thought was a 12-point during gun season), a very nice 12-point, a couple 10-points, a few 8-points, and several 6-point and below. There was only one raghorn deer I've seen. I watch them every day while feeding the cattle. I hope they shed pretty soon, or some ****head wearing an OSU beanie is gonna poach that big boy.

sooneron
1/18/2007, 12:15 PM
As I drove up to the house after a quick trip to the store just now, there were three deers in my lawn. a doe, a buck and a fawn. I thought that was a little odd.

I tried to get pictures of them, but I was too far away in the dark for it to work. before I could adjust the timing of the flash to extend the range, they darted off...and whilst crossing the road, damn near got runt over by a security vehicle.
Later that night....

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2909/hoofop5.jpg

"Ma, it got it's "hoof" stuck in the grill and I gotta hack it off"

Ike
1/18/2007, 02:12 PM
Deer? You want deer? My neighbor across the road sowed about 100 acres of rye (cereal rye, not the grass). We've counted over 40 deer at one time in his pasture. The bucks still have their antlers, and most of the fawns are getting big (eating that rye will do it to you). There's buckzilla (a 16-point who I thought was a 12-point during gun season), a very nice 12-point, a couple 10-points, a few 8-points, and several 6-point and below. There was only one raghorn deer I've seen. I watch them every day while feeding the cattle. I hope they shed pretty soon, or some ****head wearing an OSU beanie is gonna poach that big boy.

sweet.

And no, I don't necessarily want deer, just remarking that given where I live, this is just a little bit odd.

sooneron
1/18/2007, 02:27 PM
One night when the Mrs and I were leaving her brothers in S Orange NJ, we pulled up to a stop sign and emerging from a condo unit across the street was what had to be the biggest friggin buck that I haven't seen not on someone's wall. I mean this sucker was Hartford commercial HUGE. At first we thought it was fake then it took a few steps. Our mouths were hanging wide open. It was very surrealistic in that setting.

C&CDean
1/18/2007, 02:42 PM
One night when the Mrs and I were leaving her brothers in S Orange NJ, we pulled up to a stop sign and emerging from a condo unit across the street was what had to be the biggest friggin buck that I haven't seen not on someone's wall. I mean this sucker was Hartford commercial HUGE. At first we thought it was fake then it took a few steps. Our mouths were hanging wide open. It was very surrealistic in that setting.

Did you know that NJ has more deer per mile than any other state? At least they did a few years ago. They were having an "urban hunt" while I was up there. It was archery only, and only one weekend, but you could shoot Bambi anywhere in town. One of the locals was talking to some other guys about "make sure your dogs are locked up in the house."

sooneron
1/18/2007, 02:44 PM
Did you know that NJ has more deer per mile than any other state? At least they did a few years ago. They were having an "urban hunt" while I was up there. It was archery only, and only one weekend, but you could shoot Bambi anywhere in town. One of the locals was talking to some other guys about "make sure your dogs are locked up in the house."
The issues the past couple of years have been bears. At least, the bear "problem" overshadowed the deer "problem". Thus, getting more press, cuz they're like dangerous.

C&CDean
1/18/2007, 02:46 PM
The issues the past couple of years have been bears. At least, the bear "problem" overshadowed the deer "problem". Thus, getting more press, cuz they're like dangerous.

Sweet. We can kill a deer, then shoot the bear that's marfing on the deer carcass. I wonder what an out-of-state deer/bear tag costs in NJ?

sooneron
1/18/2007, 02:46 PM
I have no idea.

sooneron
1/18/2007, 02:52 PM
Shotguns?

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2006/bearseas05.htm

achiro
1/18/2007, 06:53 PM
Dang Dean, why are all these big boys still walkin around? Did you not shoot anything this year?

Oldnslo
1/18/2007, 09:24 PM
Doe? A deer? A female deer?

Oh, BTW, several years ago, I was in court, getting approval for a minor's settlement after the kid was in an accident with a drunk driver. Relative came up to me all ****ed off, saying he hoped my guy had all manner of evil happen to him.

I looked him in the eye and said, "Good news. My client was gored to death by a buck in a rut." d00d didn't believe me until I showed him the adjuster's computer log notes. He didn't look up much for the rest of the hearing.

Personally, I think getting gored to death by a buck would be an unsavory exit.