PDA

View Full Version : South Fl. RB Collapsed and Died

msteudem
1/18/2007, 12:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2734226

TAMPA, Fla. -- South Florida running back Keeley Dorsey collapsed and died Wednesday after a team conditioning workout at the school's athletic facility.

The 19-year-old freshman died at University Community Hospital, South Florida said in statement.

Dorsey was a graduate of Tallahassee Lincoln High School.

"Our entire athletic family is deeply saddened by this tragic loss," USF athletic director Doug Woolard said in a statement. He said head coach Jim Leavitt had spoken to Dorsey's father and was returning from a recruiting trip in West Palm Beach to join his players.

Dorsey was given first aid before he was transferred to the hospital, the school said. A hospital spokesman did not immediately know Dorsey's condition when he arrived.

"The USF community is extremely shocked and saddened by the death of one of our student athletes on campus today," South Florida President Judy Genshaft said. "There is nothing more tragic than the loss of one of our students, and our thoughts and prayers go out to Keeley's family, friends and fellow athletes and students."

In 2001, Florida State linebacker Devaughn Darling collapsed and died during an offseason workout. An autopsy concluded he had suffered a cardiac arrhythmia.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

My prayers go out to his family. What are they doing conditioning drills this early for? Weird.

soonerhillbilly
1/18/2007, 12:30 AM
Prayers to his family !

sooner2b09
1/18/2007, 12:30 AM
thats awful. Prayers and thoughts go out to the family

lcaldwell1
1/18/2007, 12:33 AM
R.I.P. Dorsey

GrapevineSooner
1/18/2007, 12:43 AM
That sucks. :(

guzziguy
1/18/2007, 12:43 AM
Horrible news. Prayers for family and friends.

MyT Oklahoma
1/18/2007, 12:48 AM
Rest In Peace.

Snrfn4ever08
1/18/2007, 01:04 AM
I hate to hear that. Prayers to his family :(

goingoneight
1/18/2007, 01:34 AM
Not tryign to be an ******* ro anything, but who practices right after bowl season? I mean lifting weights is one thing... how did he die? Overheated? Seizure?

To sound a little mroe human, I am deeply saddened to hear this news. Not a single young person deserves that.

birddog
1/18/2007, 02:26 AM
i seem to hear this too much these days.

RIP.

OUWxGuesser
1/18/2007, 02:31 AM
Live life to your fullest... you never know when your day is up. Stay happy, don't worry too much, etc.

olevetonahill
1/18/2007, 02:52 AM
RIP
But that had to be some kinda Pre existing thing . Hell even in Fla it aint that hot this time of year !

landrun
1/18/2007, 08:01 AM
Very sad. :(

sooneron
1/18/2007, 08:30 AM
Very sad news.

Isn't there a test to find out if someone has this problem? It should be mandatory for kids that want to play athletics in HS and beyond.

royalfan5
1/18/2007, 08:37 AM
Not tryign to be an ******* ro anything, but who practices right after bowl season? I mean lifting weights is one thing... how did he die? Overheated? Seizure?

To sound a little mroe human, I am deeply saddened to hear this news. Not a single young person deserves that.
Every school does winter conditioning workouts as soon as second semester starts from D-1A all the way down to NAIA. To think other wise is completely ignorant of how college football works.

RIP Keely Dorsey.

Sooner_Bob
1/18/2007, 09:04 AM
:(

Tulsa_Fireman
1/18/2007, 10:48 AM
Isn't there a test to find out if someone has this problem? It should be mandatory for kids that want to play athletics in HS and beyond.

Not necessarily. Remember Hank Gathers? The basketball player that just up and dropped dead on the court?

Like Olevet said, some fellas are playin' russian roulette will six full chambers and don't even know it, aka the 'pre-existing condition'. Guys like Gathers, who suffered from a form of cardiomyopathy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiomyopathy), often don't know there's a problem until blam. One day the heart just decides to give up. And there's not a thing you can do about it.

In other words, there's a bunch of explanations. And cardiac arrythmias aren't exactly as rare as you'd think. So until we hear the FULL story, let's hold off on any witch burnin' anyone might have in mind for overworkin' the boys.

snp
1/18/2007, 11:01 AM

It wasn't even that hot. Could be a bad supplement.

Bruiser53
1/18/2007, 12:07 PM
Was this their starting back, redshirt, backup?

Boomer.....
1/18/2007, 12:12 PM
Very sad.

DrZaius
Isn't Selmon still with that University or is it Central Florida.

I feel sorry for the kids family

snp
Backup. Had 10 carries for 68 yards with a 52 yard TD run in there.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/18/2007, 12:37 PM
I feel like I hear this every year. Very sad indeed. I wonder if there is a pattern.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/18/2007, 12:38 PM
Isn't Selmon still with that University or is it Central Florida.

I feel sorry for the kids family

I am pretty sure he resigned a couple of years ago.

Seamus
1/18/2007, 02:22 PM
Dang, that's a bummer. Prayers for his family. :(

And I agree with the call to hold off on witch hunts. But the sad thing is, in a case like this the lawyers are inevitable.

85sooners
1/18/2007, 05:12 PM
:eek:

BajaOklahoma
1/18/2007, 06:13 PM
Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. Very sad.