PDA

View Full Version : @!$!%!%!! Lowe's...

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 02:40 PM
My new washing machine is here. Unfortunately, the dude from Lowe's didn't want to remove my water hoses because they were rusted to the pipe and won't install the washing machine unless a plumber comes to take the hoses off.

Thanks for the "free install" asshats.

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2007, 02:48 PM
Well it would be their problem to fix if'n they busted your supply lines.

But I see your point. A little WD-40 and a pipe wrench and you're set.

OSUAggie
1/17/2007, 02:48 PM
Lowe's is the devil. As are all of the big-box "do-it-yourselfer" stores.

fadada1
1/17/2007, 02:50 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 02:50 PM
And truly, that's something they should expect. If they're doing "free haulaway" as part of the "free install" then they should anticipate this sort of thing. Of course, that doesn't allow them to give me the card of their buddy the plumber who wants to charge $115 an hour to do this.

Screw it. I'm our of WD-40, but I'm going to the hardware store later anyhow. Meanwhile, my dryer is just hanging out in the kitchen.

NormanPride
1/17/2007, 02:52 PM
And truly, that's something they should expect. If they're doing "free haulaway" as part of the "free install" then they should anticipate this sort of thing. Of course, that doesn't allow them to give me the card of their buddy the plumber who wants to charge $115 an hour to do this.

Screw it. I'm our of WD-40, but I'm going to the hardware store later anyhow. Meanwhile, my dryer is just hanging out in the kitchen.

Has it met the dishwasher yet? Recent split with the sink = rebound time.

Widescreen
1/17/2007, 02:54 PM
Ah, the problems of the unemployed. ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 02:55 PM
Ah, the problems of the unemployed. ;)

No kidding. It's amazing how much money I've spent the last few days.

TopDaugIn2000
1/17/2007, 03:03 PM
You can do that yourself??? Hell, I've installed my W&D two different times. The second time I even had to get a different pigtail (a 4 prong) for the dryer and put that on as well.

Wimp.

fadada1
1/17/2007, 03:05 PM
You can do that yourself??? Hell, I've installed my W&D two different times. The second time I even had to get a different pigtail (a 4 prong) for the dryer and put that on as well.

Wimp.
clearly, you're in the upper half of the IQ population;) ;) :D

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 03:06 PM

Wimp.

Er, yeah, I can do it myself. Hence the "heading to the hardware store later and going to pick up WD-40" post.

I'm just annoyed that I was given "free install" that didn't occur. I mean, I'd prefer someone else do it rather than having to do it myself.

You're talkin' to a guy who plumbed in a new gas line for his range, lady.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2007, 03:08 PM
actually, you weren't given a free uninstall of the old stuff. They just said that they would haul it away.

You don't have a pipe wrench? Just use one of those and forget the WD-40.

fadada1
1/17/2007, 03:09 PM
get a bigger hammer!!!!

Sooner_Bob
1/17/2007, 03:09 PM

Very true.

About 3 weeks ago I was trying to figure out why our washer was leaking and noticed that the hot water supply line valve wouldn't shut completely off so I grabbed a wrench and started to pop the thing off so I could go grab a new one and replace it.

Should've taken 10 minutes or so tops right?

Noooooooo. Some dildo thought it was a good idea to solder a threaded valve onto a 1/2 inch copper line.

I had to cut away some sheetrock, grab the sawz-all and cut both lines and then re-solder everything back together. Took me all freakin' afternoon.

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 03:10 PM
That's a good point.

The line is stuck on there pretty good, man. I have a pipe wrench, but if I don't loosen it up a bit first it's gonna take part of the line with it.

C&CDean
1/17/2007, 03:12 PM
I'm beginning to see why Froze isn't married. He needs to quit searching for a wife and take up a search for a husband.

Sooner_Bob
If the valve is bending then it's a good bet that it's soldered on there.

TopDaugIn2000
clearly, you're in the upper half of the IQ population;) ;) :D

yeah, and I'm a GIRL

You're talkin' to a guy who plumbed in a new gas line for his range, lady.

yeah, yeah, been there, done that too. Also tiled floors and counter tops, built bookshelves, hung drywall, textured and painted, put shingles on the roof, etc.

(My step-dad is a contractor)

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 03:13 PM
I'm beginning to see why Froze isn't married. He needs to quit searching for a wife and take up a search for a husband.

Nice of you to offer and all, but no thanks.

C&CDean
1/17/2007, 03:14 PM
Nice of you to offer and all, but no thanks.

But dude, our babies would be precious.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2007, 03:15 PM
I had to unfreeze the water hose that supplys my house with water. Top that, handy(wo)man wannabes.

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 03:16 PM
Little angry bald dudes? That'd be AWESOME.

OK, I'm off to the hardware store. I'll report back in a few hours on whether the washerectomy is successful.

For the record: I have not called a plumber, nor do I plan to. I'm just annoyed that Lowe's didn't do a free install as promised. If I wasn't just bumming around today anyhow, this would be an issue.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2007, 03:17 PM

do not do a GIS without safe search on, trust me.

C&CDean
1/17/2007, 03:19 PM

OK, I'm off to the hardware store. I'll report back in a few hours on whether the washerectomy is successful.

For the record: I have not called a plumber, nor do I plan to. I'm just annoyed that Lowe's didn't do a free install as promised. If I wasn't just bumming around today anyhow, this would be an issue.

Let us know how it goes, hon.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/17/2007, 03:50 PM
Pick up some milk while you're out, hon. Kisses
Fixed.

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 03:57 PM
Washerectomy successful. New washer is in.

C&CDean
1/17/2007, 03:59 PM
Washerectomy successful. New washer is in.

You are so gonna get some tonight.

IB4OU2
1/17/2007, 04:08 PM
You are so gonna get some tonight.

So he loves the rinse cycle too.......:D

olevetonahill
1/17/2007, 05:55 PM
Just a FYI ,
You really should put NEW hoses On the washer every 3 yrs or so .
They dry out and can bust open hence flooding your shack :eek:

olevetonahill
1/17/2007, 05:57 PM
Oh and in addition put a little oil on the threads , Makes em easier to take of in the future

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 05:57 PM
Just a FYI ,
You really should put NEW hoses On the washer every 3 yrs or so .
They dry out and can bust open hence flooding your shack :eek:

Yeah, I know this. It was on my list of **** to do this week until the old washer crapped out on me. The old washer was installed the week I moved in four years ago, so I figured I had some time. However, it looks like when they installed the old washer the hoses weren't changed.

Anyhow, I put new hoses on.

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 05:58 PM
Oh and in addition put a little oil on the threads , Makes em easier to take of in the future

This was also done. Trust me, I used PLENTY of oil all over the damn place in there. I really didn't feel like firing up the torch today.

olevetonahill
1/17/2007, 06:12 PM
This was also done. Trust me, I used PLENTY of oil all over the damn place in there. I really didn't feel like firing up the torch today.
:D
Hell I gave all this advice about how not to let your water pipes freez and I be damned If I didnt let Mine freez up in the bath , now I haveta carry water from the Kitchen when I goota go :eek:
Course If its # 1 I just open My back door ;)

Newbomb Turk
1/17/2007, 08:08 PM
Lwned!

BeetDigger
1/17/2007, 09:55 PM
And the whole time you were installing the new washer, the installer dude from Lowes was at Happy Hour throwing down cold ones.

Okla-homey
1/17/2007, 10:27 PM

teflon tape old timer, teflon tape.

SoonerJack
1/18/2007, 09:19 AM
<oldtimervoice>back in maaaaah day we didn't have teflon.....we used rocks....and weeeee liked it!</oldtimervoice>.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2007, 09:21 AM
i'd take lowes over home depot any day......

Sooner_Bob
1/18/2007, 09:28 AM
i'd take lowes over home depot any day......

The employees or the merchandise?

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2007, 09:31 AM
well.....the merchandise isnt much difference.........i just think the home depot stores are more cluttered......the service is better (imo) at lowes.....at least the one down the street from me......there's a guy that works there that will go out of his way to help you - you couldnt ask for better service.......at the home depot, you can barely get them to say boo as you walk in

that may just be with the stores here, it may not apply where you are

Widescreen
1/18/2007, 10:52 AM
Our Lowes features a midget. Top that, beyonces.

toast
1/19/2007, 11:15 AM
Our Lowes features a midget. Top that, beyonces.

What does a midget cost at Lowe's?

Sooner_Bob
1/19/2007, 01:03 PM
well.....the merchandise isnt much difference.........i just think the home depot stores are more cluttered......the service is better (imo) at lowes.....at least the one down the street from me......there's a guy that works there that will go out of his way to help you - you couldnt ask for better service.......at the home depot, you can barely get them to say boo as you walk in

that may just be with the stores here, it may not apply where you are

It pretty much applies to the ones I went to in Albuquerque. Up here all we've got is Lowe's so a Home Depot might be a welcome addition to our selection.

Frozen Sooner
1/19/2007, 01:22 PM
We've got both. And of course they're about 20 feet from one another.

Sooner_Bob
1/19/2007, 01:46 PM
We've got both. And of course they're about 20 feet from one another.

With a Little Brown Jug in the corner of the parking lot right? :D

Frozen Sooner
1/19/2007, 03:44 PM
Heh. Nah, the Brown Jug is down the street.

Since you know the area-they're on Tudor across Denali from each other.