PDA

View Full Version : white surprise

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2007, 09:23 AM
so those of us in the dallas area wake up to white roads.....totally unexpected......last friday the weathermen are telling us how we're going to get hammered all weekend with ice.....we dont get any till late sunday nite

now we're "hammered" (relatively speaking) and they didnt forecast this

brilliant!

sooner_born_1960
1/17/2007, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the 2007 Apocolyptic Ice-y(snow) Storm of Death.

SoonerProphet
1/17/2007, 09:59 AM
yep, awoke to call trees about school closings. soccer game at greenhill was cancelled yesterday and i'll bet hockaday doesn't come to town tomorrow either.

TexasSooner01
1/17/2007, 10:28 AM
Well, Houston didnt get nutin cept rain..... All the school districts paniced and canceled classes...All the weather people are in a panic tellin everyone to stay home....truth is that with the exception of overpasses and bridges the roads are fine.

The only ice i saw this morning was on street signs. The ground is to warm for ice to form on the roads.

BeetDigger
1/17/2007, 10:56 AM
"Welcome to our Winter Blast coverage"

"It's mayhem out there on the roads"

"If you don't have to drive, don't."

They're pulling out all of the good sayings for today. And thanks for telling me that I should'nt be driving over 30 mph. Listen lady, I'll drive at a speed that I am comfortable with. If it's 20 or if it's 40. I don't need YOU telling me how fast to drive.

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2007, 11:00 AM
i drove 20 the whole way to work, and i didnt give a rats *** what any of the faster drivers thought.......they arent paying my insurance premium

picasso
1/17/2007, 11:26 AM
thought this was a Larry Bird thread.

LilSooner
1/17/2007, 11:35 AM
i drove 20 the whole way to work, and i didnt give a rats *** what any of the faster drivers thought.......they arent paying my insurance premium

I hate you. Ok not really, but I hate the drivers that drive 20 when there is ice on the side of the roads. Not ice ON the roads, but when there is the preseance of the stuff that was pushed off the roads on to the side. I almost went postal on a few people coming out here to Woodward yesterday.

FREAKING DRIVE YOU OLD FARTS!!!!

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2007, 11:36 AM
well.....the roads were covered completely, you coudlnt see the lane stripes.......and there werent many doing faster than me.....it seems like all of our intersections (at least on my way to work) have hills on them.....alot of fun stopping or starting from an incline/decline

if the ice is off the road, i'll drive normally, maybe a little slower

Rook65
1/17/2007, 11:44 AM
I couldn't believe how bad the roads were in Norman yesterday.

LilSooner
1/17/2007, 11:47 AM
Getting out of Norman wasn't too bad, the I 35 and 40 junction sucked a little, but everything west of the city was perfectly fine. I mean we are talking dry roads, and people were acting like there were 6 inches of ice on the dag gum roads.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/17/2007, 11:55 AM
Norman's not near as bad as MWC. On Sooner between 15th and Reno is still like it was 4 days ago. Still a solid sheet of ice. You can barely see tracks. I did a spectacular 180 this morning into oncoming traffic. And I was only doing 15mph. Thank doG no one was coming or I'd have been hit.

MWC seriously needs to work on the roads. It's like they haven't even sanded or salted yet. It's...angering me.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/17/2007, 12:02 PM
I did fine yesterday until I got about a block from work. I took Western all the way north which is a snow route. Then I made the dumb mistake of turning on Grand so I could take the I-44 Service Road. I ended up getting stuck on Robinson as I tried to go up the hill.

So I'm still sitting here 24 hours later on my Wifi waiting for someone to rescue me.

SeattleOUstudent
1/17/2007, 12:05 PM
BOHICA!

http://kfor.static.worldnow.com/images/incoming/7day.jpg

crawfish
1/17/2007, 12:07 PM
I was yelling at the kids to get ready for school...just happened to glance outside, saw the complete whiteness...definitely a shock.

The kids were mighty happy that school was cancelled, tho. :)

LilSooner
1/17/2007, 12:07 PM
Norman's not near as bad as MWC. On Sooner between 15th and Reno is still like it was 4 days ago. Still a solid sheet of ice. You can barely see tracks. I did a spectacular 180 this morning into oncoming traffic. And I was only doing 15mph. Thank doG no one was coming or I'd have been hit.

MWC seriously needs to work on the roads. It's like they haven't even sanded or salted yet. It's...angering me.

Just one more reason why Norman > MWC, round eye.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/17/2007, 12:11 PM
Just one more reason why Norman > MWC, round eye.

Heh.

Widescreen
1/17/2007, 12:37 PM
I was about to go shower this morning and happened to open up weatherbug and saw the radar and it showed snow so I looked outside and saw the ground lightly covered. For giggles I called the company's "emergency hotline" and was told the office wouldn't open until 11 (has been pushed back to noon now). People freak out over nothing.

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 12:39 PM
well.....the roads were covered completely, you coudlnt see the lane stripes.......and there werent many doing faster than me.....it seems like all of our intersections (at least on my way to work) have hills on them.....alot of fun stopping or starting from an incline/decline

if the ice is off the road, i'll drive normally, maybe a little slower

Welcome to my world, jk.

BajaOklahoma
1/17/2007, 12:54 PM

Remind them of this on the makeup day. I think our first makeup day is Good Friday.
Still, it beats the year that we had to go in on a Saturday morning.
The day is official when you have been in class for one minute over half of the day. We had lots of kids not show (cost the district money) because of baseball and soccer games (they had time to move them), and lots of kids whose parents picked them up late (hey, free babysitting). Lots of games were played, little work.

BeetDigger
1/17/2007, 12:55 PM
I was yelling at the kids to get ready for school...just happened to glance outside, saw the complete whiteness...definitely a shock.

They should be complaining that you didn't look out earlier so that they could sleep in. Plus, you could have saved all of that yelling.

crawfish
1/17/2007, 01:07 PM
They should be complaining that you didn't look out earlier so that they could sleep in. Plus, you could have saved all of that yelling.

Rest assured, the kids don't want to sleep in on a snow day. The way they got alert so quickly after looking outside makes me think the early-morning grogginess may be a little bit faked. :D

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2007, 02:00 PM
Welcome to my world, jk.

i frankly dont know how you do it.......nor do i understand why people live in states like north and south dakota

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 02:02 PM
North and South Dakota don't actually exist.

Honestly, I do it just because I'm used to it. You automatically compensate for the conditions and drive accordingly. It helps to keep a three count between you and the car in front instead of a two count, to lay off the gas and brakes, and to know what the weight characteristics and slide profile on your car are like. On the other hand, I have no idea how you guys drive in heavy rainstorms. Driving in heavy rain freaks me right out.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2007, 02:03 PM
Waco is pretty freaking cold and icy. Baylor cancelled class and they NEVER cancel class except for the rapture and even then, since everyone would still be around, I'm sure we'd have class.

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2007, 02:08 PM
see......i LOVE driving in the rain

white stuff? not so much

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2007, 02:14 PM
Waco is pretty freaking cold and icy. Baylor cancelled class and they NEVER cancel class except for the rapture and even then, since everyone would still be around, I'm sure we'd have class.

heh