PDA

View Full Version : The Alaska Wild sub-AF2 team is having open tryouts on Friday

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 10:56 PM
So there's a team that got rebuffed for membership in the Arena Football 2 league that's starting up this year here in Anchorage. As you've probably inferred from the headline, they're having open tryouts this week.

I'm SO thinking about going out there and trying out at wide receiver.

Jerk
1/16/2007, 10:57 PM
F8ck that, too cold.

oh...wait....

royalfan5
1/16/2007, 11:00 PM
who takes care of Steve and Ted when you end up crippled from the experience?

royalfan5
1/16/2007, 11:01 PM
Also, the Alaska Wild? That's ******* original. Why not something like the Alaska Fake Canadians or something?

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 11:02 PM
Pshaw. I can't wait to truck some poor 150lb DB who tries to tackle my fat *** with a full head of steam.

I mean, I ain't tall, my hands are terrible, I'm a good 80 pounds overweight, and I'm slower than a dead sloth-but get the ball in my hands in space and ain't nobody in the defensive backfield gonna stop me.

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 11:03 PM
Also, the Alaska Wild? That's ******* original. Why not something like the Alaska Fake Canadians or something?

I'm pretty sure those dudes play in North Dakota.

I voted for the Anchorage Seal Clubbers.

royalfan5
1/16/2007, 11:06 PM
How long does it take to build an igloo than can house an arena football team. Days, Months, Years?

Also where are they going to find football players, the Arena league reject teams around here just get NAIA stars, DII players and the odd ex-NU walk-on. Are there random football player types just wandering around Anchorage?

Jerk
1/16/2007, 11:07 PM
Kind of off subject, but did you ever read a short story called 'To Build a Fire'?

I think the author was Jack London. I also read some of his Alaskan sled dog books. Pure greatness. The best books I've read are about the cold. Ever read 'Shackleton's Great Adventure". Well, that wasn't in Alaska, but it was just as cold.

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 11:08 PM
"To Build a Fire" is London. Had to read it in high school.

Not a big fan of the Naturalist school of writing, so I'm not a big London guy.

Jerk
1/16/2007, 11:11 PM
"To Build a Fire" is London. Had to read it in high school.

Not a big fan of the Naturalist school of writing, so I'm not a big London guy.

Bummer.

"Call of the Wild" was the other book I was thinking of.

I read these post of yours about local gangbangers and crime IN ALASKA and I just shake my head.

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 11:14 PM
You and me both. Don't know if I posted this, but you may recall a year ago on New Year's Eve there was some kind of huge commotion across the street from me. About a month ago they finally made some arrests-a bunch of kids had pushed their way into a party, trashed the place, and stole a bunch of electronics. These kids were gang members-but they were also honor students, athletes, and drama clubbers.

Just nuts.

Jerk
1/16/2007, 11:16 PM
You and me both. Don't know if I posted this, but you may recall a year ago on New Year's Eve there was some kind of huge commotion across the street from me. About a month ago they finally made some arrests-a bunch of kids had pushed their way into a party, trashed the place, and stole a bunch of electronics. These kids were gang members-but they were also honor students, athletes, and drama clubbers.

Just nuts.

Time to move to Eek!

OUWxGuesser
1/16/2007, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty sure those dudes play in North Dakota.
Don't be dissin the North Dakotans. We gotta put up with the damn Canadians coming down here to shop every weekend.

You are allowed to dis ND for their apathy towards college football, however (even though our div II team at UND is pretty decent). They blacked out the USC/Nebraska game this season on ND ABC channels to show NDSU vs evenmorepodunkstate. Div I A vs Div II clash. Blyuck. I thought a riot was going to start at Buffalo Wild Wings. Throw in the portion of the population that thinks shorthorn gear is in style and yikes... I cringe at least once every time I go to walmart.

soonerboomer93
1/17/2007, 01:02 AM
How long does it take to build an igloo than can house an arena football team. Days, Months, Years?

Also where are they going to find football players, the Arena league reject teams around here just get NAIA stars, DII players and the odd ex-NU walk-on. Are there random football player types just wandering around Anchorage?

can't take too long, since they have to rebuild it after every summmer

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 01:06 AM
There's a few ex-D1 through NAIA guys running around town. Off the top of my head, Mao Tosi (formerly of the Arizona Cardinals and Idaho Vandals) Brandon Drumm (formerly of the Detroit Lions and Colorado Buffs) and Wilbur Hooks (formerly of the Washington Huskies and an all-Pac-10 second or third teamer) will all probably try out. All three of those guys were kicking around town last I checked.

Plus there's a bunch of people who played NAIA or D2-3 ball who moved back home after college.

SoonerTerry
1/17/2007, 03:00 AM
I've seen a pic of ya Mike, I'm thinkin D-line, run stoper...;)

Ike
1/17/2007, 04:03 AM
QB. You know you want to.

Tailwind
1/17/2007, 05:35 AM
I smell of ambergris, apparently.

Pricetag
1/17/2007, 11:09 AM
So there's a team that got rebuffed for membership in the Arena Football 2 league that's starting up this year here in Anchorage. As you've probably inferred from the headline, they're having open tryouts this week.

I'm SO thinking about going out there and trying out at wide receiver.
Heh, a single trip to Alaska would bankrupt about any AF2 team, I think.

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 12:11 PM
I've seen a pic of ya Mike, I'm thinkin D-line, run stoper...;)

No way, dude. If I can't play receiver, I ain't playing. I've got my touchdown dance all ready to go.

TRUFFLE SHUFFLE!