PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to fire up my fireplace for the first time ever

Penguin
1/16/2007, 04:19 PM
I'm going to be starting a fire tonight for the first time in the apartment.

What should I do to prepare the fireplace/myself for this fire?

Should I be alarmed that there is a crack in the chimney halfway up? I'm guessing the worst case is that I fill up my upstairs neighbor's apartment with smoke. I can't stand those hosers, so it may not be a bad thing.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2007, 04:20 PM
you should PM SicEm

C&CDean
1/16/2007, 04:21 PM
Use about 1-2 gallons of gasoline for a starter. It works great.

sooneron
1/16/2007, 04:23 PM
Use about 1-2 gallons of gasoline for a starter. It works great.
I just spit through my nose.:mad: :D

OCUDad
1/16/2007, 04:31 PM
I just spit through my nose.:mad: :DPics?

Penguin
1/16/2007, 04:32 PM
Is the gasoline for drinking or soaking?

sooneron
1/16/2007, 04:37 PM
Pics?
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/19674.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/16/2007, 04:40 PM
'...inflamed in the membranes...'

Penguin
1/16/2007, 04:57 PM
Alright! No more membrane talk. :mad:

Back on topic, people!

C&CDean
1/16/2007, 04:58 PM
Make it a full 5-gallon can. Let it soak for about 5 minutes before lighting.

Boomer.....
1/16/2007, 05:03 PM
Just make sure that the vent/damper thingy is open.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 05:06 PM
If there is a crack in the dam thing you Really should call sicems Home repair :D
Really tho if the flue is cracked you have more to worry about than smoke .

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 05:08 PM
If you can see a crack, it's probably just the brick facade.

TUSooner
1/16/2007, 05:11 PM
Check the chimney for birds' nests, dead burglars, Santa Claus etc.

Penguin
1/16/2007, 05:27 PM
Damn it! I thought a bought a box of Duraflame logs.

It turns out I bought a box full of those little fire starters. Maybe if I pack a ****load of those little ****ers in there, I'll get a 5 minute fire. :mad:

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 05:28 PM
Just throw you dining room furniture in there. And 5 gal. of gasoline.

TopDaugIn2000
1/16/2007, 05:31 PM
Damn it! I thought a bought a box of Duraflame logs.

It turns out I bought a box full of those little fire starters. Maybe if I pack a ****load of those little ****ers in there, I'll get a 5 minute fire. :mad:

I'll take em. I'm running a little low after this weekend.

burned about 1/4 of the rick of firewood I just bought too!!!!

Penguin
1/16/2007, 05:31 PM
Damn it. This is going to be the most ghetto fire ever. I've already chopped up my bookcase.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 05:35 PM
Damn it. This is going to be the most ghetto fire ever. I've already chopped up my bookcase.
So your smokin Huh ?

Penguin
1/16/2007, 05:52 PM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/Picture2.JPG

I'm almost ready. No gas, but plenty of vodka.

Mjcpr
1/16/2007, 05:54 PM
You thought those were Duraflame logs?

Penguin
1/16/2007, 05:57 PM
THEY WERE IN A BOX! :mad:

Penguin
1/16/2007, 06:07 PM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/Picture001.jpg

Almost ready. Anybody got a light?

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 06:11 PM
How much Yall willing to pay for a rick of Farwood ? hell I gots a big trailer :D
Plus I can show you how to lit a far for extry :pop:

Penguin
1/16/2007, 06:21 PM
Actually, I stacked 8 of them in there. It has made a very nice fire.

Penguin
1/16/2007, 09:15 PM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/Fire.jpg

Mmmmmm. Toasty.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 09:22 PM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/Fire.jpg

Mmmmmm. Toasty.
That aint rick of Farwood :eek:

soonerboomer93
1/16/2007, 09:27 PM
This thread is dissappointing, I was hoping for a sic'em type incident with this (other then the whole, bought firestater, not logs issue)

Penguin
1/16/2007, 09:37 PM
I'm in Houston. We are suffering from media hype-age more than actual ice storms.

Those firestarters sure do burn good.

OUinFLA
1/16/2007, 10:21 PM
I cant believe no one suggested you have one of these on hand:

http://www.kartek.com/prod-windows/all/safety/bsr-a500.jpg

sooneron
1/16/2007, 10:24 PM
That fire has to be out by now.

Penguin
1/16/2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah. I have to throw in some gasoline and vodka every now and then, but it's still going.

soonerboomer93
1/17/2007, 12:05 AM
I cant believe no one suggested you have one of these on hand:

http://www.kartek.com/prod-windows/all/safety/bsr-a500.jpg

dude, why you gotta suggest safety and ****
where the fun in that

:pop:

proud gonzo
1/17/2007, 02:39 AM
you're in Houston? Iggy's stranded there at his uncle's house.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2007, 02:14 PM
you should PM SicEm
True story:

My old apartment in Waco had a fireplace. Well, my girlfriend came down to spend several days with me over Christmas break before we both went back to Oklahoma together for Christmas.

So, the temperature was suppose to be very cold and she was going to cook an Italian dinner for us. Afterward, I planned to start up the fireplace and have some hot chocolate while curled up together under a blanket. It was all carefully planned of course...

Everything goes great and we retire into the living room for the hot chocolate. I get the fireplace started up and before too long the entire apartment is full of a thick smoke. Apparently...I forgot to open some kind of vent or valve to release the smoke up the chimney and instead filled the room. So, I had to open all the doors and windows with it freezing out to get rid of all the smoke.

We did end up huddling under a blanket together but under totally different circumstances....

sooner_born_1960
1/17/2007, 02:15 PM
Color me surprised.

SoonerJack
1/17/2007, 03:15 PM
We need to have a Sic'em Oval instead of a South Oval. This guy has the most hilarious things happen to him.

Boomer.....
1/17/2007, 03:22 PM
*shakes head again*

soonervegas
1/17/2007, 06:35 PM
True story:

My old apartment in Waco had a fireplace. Well, my girlfriend came down to spend several days with me over Christmas break before we both went back to Oklahoma together for Christmas.

So, the temperature was suppose to be very cold and she was going to cook an Italian dinner for us. Afterward, I planned to start up the fireplace and have some hot chocolate while curled up together under a blanket. It was all carefully planned of course...

Everything goes great and we retire into the living room for the hot chocolate. I get the fireplace started up and before too long the entire apartment is full of a thick smoke. Apparently...I forgot to open some kind of vent or valve to release the smoke up the chimney and instead filled the room. So, I had to open all the doors and windows with it freezing out to get rid of all the smoke.

We did end up huddling under a blanket together but under totally different circumstances....

Pretty good story. I'll one up you though. Sunday morning I get up and decide I am going to be a good husband and get the house cleaned up before the wife gets up. I decide to clean out the fire place while I am at it. I get to the back of the ashes and notice that two small embers are still lit. I clean up all the ashes and throw them in my "empty" big blue outside. Problem is big blue wasn't exactly empty. There were some old baby clothes that had just been thrown away the night before. Long story short, 9 hours later my dogs alert me to my two big blues and the side of my house engulfed in flames. My quick thinking and amatuer hose work save the house, but now I am in the process of fixing charred electrical lines and cleaning charred brick.

As a few of you may know, I have long been on the cat side of the dog vs. cat agrument that goes on from time to time up here. Needless to say, dog stock is at an all time high at my house.

GottaHavePride
1/17/2007, 06:46 PM

OK, I have to ask... Did you parent's just not ever teach you names of stuff? I mean "some kind of vent"? A "V8, whatever that means"? Dude. ;)

Oh, and it's called a "flue".

olevetonahill
1/17/2007, 06:59 PM
I nominate Sicem for the all time Poster boy
For Birth control :D

Penguin
1/17/2007, 07:19 PM
Sometime during the evening, I decided that it would be a stupendous idea to throw newspaper on the fire.

Now, I got a ****load of ash to clean up. :mad:

sooner_born_1960
1/17/2007, 07:27 PM
Sometime during the evening, I decided that it would be a stupendous idea to throw newspaper on the fire.

Now, I got a ****load of ash to clean up. :mad:
Bourbon will do that. God bless it.

LoyalFan
1/18/2007, 02:37 AM
Oh, and it's called a "flue".

Which reminds me...

A Flea and a Fly in a flue, were imprisoned,
so what could they do?
Said the Flea, "Let us fly!" Said the Fly, "Let us flee!"
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.

Well, it COULD happen! Really.

LF

landrun
1/18/2007, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor

I did the same thing when I was first married. I had so much smoke in the house that the fire place mantel had smoke damage to it. It stayed there till we left the apartment 2 years later.

My wife thought I was an idiot. And over the last 15 years, I have done nothing to prove her wrong. :D