PDA

View Full Version : WHY WILL OU BE SUPER IN '07?

fossil
1/16/2007, 03:30 PM
I usually just read and learn from you folks because I'm not super smart when it comes to football. I've seen several folks on this board make the statement over the last couple of weeks that the Sooners will be loaded for 2007. I love hearing that, but I'm not understanding why you think they will be so good? Isn't the offensive line awfully young? Don't we have to find a new starting quartetback? Don't we lose a great player at linebackers? Are the guys waiting their turn really that talented and is the the next recruiting class gonna be that good?

I really want to hear your reasoning as to why the sooners will be super good this coming season. No sunshine pumping please, only legitimate, thought out analysis as to why the SOONERS will rock in 2007.

TexasSooner01
1/16/2007, 03:39 PM
Dude, Sooners Always Rock.

mxATVracer10
1/16/2007, 03:43 PM
Because Blues1 said we will keep rockin :D

sooner518
1/16/2007, 03:45 PM
O-line, we lose one starter. All the other returning starters are either going to be soph. or juniors
WR - they are all back
RB - We have AP, Chris Brown, Murray and Madu coming back.
TE - JoeJon and Gresham coming back
QB is a huge question mark

D-line, we lose both DE's and Im not sure who is going to play that next year. DT, there is alot of talent although we didnt get a whole lot of productivity out of these guys this year. But they are very young
LB - we lose Ruu and Latimer but the other guys have had significant playing time in the past
CB - We have Walker and Holmes coming back
Safeties - Reggie Smith and Darrien WIlliams will both be back. Nic Harris will also be back in the nickelback position.

I think our weaknesses will be at D-line and of course QB. Other than that, we have alot of talented guys who got some good experience this past year.

josh09
1/16/2007, 04:15 PM
O-line, we lose one starter. All the other returning starters are either going to be soph. or juniors
WR - they are all back
RB - We have AP, Chris Brown, Murray and Madu coming back.
TE - JoeJon and Gresham coming back
QB is a huge question mark

D-line, we lose both DE's and Im not sure who is going to play that next year. DT, there is alot of talent although we didnt get a whole lot of productivity out of these guys this year. But they are very young
LB - we lose Ruu and Latimer but the other guys have had significant playing time in the past
CB - We have Walker and Holmes coming back
Safeties - Reggie Smith and Darrien WIlliams will both be back. Nic Harris will also be back in the nickelback position.

I think our weaknesses will be at D-line and of course QB. Other than that, we have alot of talented guys who got some good experience this past year.

I thought Joe Jon was a senior? Anyways, the only area that needs to be made up for is QB. If Sam Bradford or Halzle come through this year, then we'll be really freakin good.

sooner518
1/16/2007, 04:20 PM
I thought Joe Jon was a senior? Anyways, the only area that needs to be made up for is QB. If Sam Bradford or Halzle come through this year, then we'll be really freakin good.
according to the depth chart on soonersports.com, he was a JR this year

Desert Sapper
1/16/2007, 04:26 PM
Losing Ruuu and Zach could hurt a little, but Reynolds, Lofton, and Pleasant look promising...plus with Mike Reed (who is supposed to be the greatest JUCO LB in the universe) and Austin Box (who is supposed to be the best player in the Sooner State), we look good there.

The DE position won't be any stronger, but I don't think it will drop off much. John Williams and Alonzo Dotson are proven, and we have other guys waiting in the wings for the rotation. The DTs could be the most improved going into the fall (depending on Spring/Summer) with G-Mac and DeMarcus Granger potentially stepping up big (which is what we all hope).

The secondary should be very good for next year with everybody returning (but much depends on the D-Line).

The offense will be excellent...dependent on the QB.

QB is the only real question mark. If we get that answered in the spring (and don't have a meltdown a la last summer), this team could be very, very special.

snp
1/16/2007, 04:44 PM
OL will return 5 guys with starting playing time. There will also finally have some depth at OL for next season which will be nice as well. Although, they were pretty bad/terrible the last 3 games of the year.

LB will be fine. Reynolds, Lofton, and Reed could be the most talented LB trio Stoops will have. Nic Harris will get a lot of time at Nickle and he's great.

Hopefully the losses at DE will be able to be masked by improved secondary and DT. Might be able to overlook their short comings. Unfortunately there were no JUCO DEs that OU wanted to go after. Will be the weakest spot.

QB will be the big question mark once again.

soonervegas
1/16/2007, 04:49 PM
Let's not forget the schedule. That is a big factor in why some around here think OU will be really good in 2007.

Spray
1/16/2007, 04:57 PM
Generally speaking, no matter who you are, breaking in a new QB is good for 2 losses.

setem
1/16/2007, 05:08 PM
Our O-line should be outstanding! Part of the reason ole Colt from SAXET had a good season was because of his O-line. They fell off at the end due to injuries and but they still did decent.

If they can stay healthy there is no reason why the new kid at the helm should get us back in a BCS game.

The D is going to be key though. LB's are going to need to step in and fill the big shoes Ruu and Lat left. I am sure they will be fine though. We are pretty much set at all the other spots other than DE, but I the think John Williams if he stays healthy could be a super and I am sure will pull in some great recruits.

MiccoMacey
1/16/2007, 05:18 PM
On the DLine, I think losing Ah You will hurt us more than most are letting on.

He was our do-everything lineman. DE, NG, and DT, he could play them all (I think I saw him as a free safety once as well :smile:). But hopefully, as with our departing star LBs, we are usually able to replace them with good solid kids who develop into stars themselves.

1/16/2007, 05:32 PM
What TexasSooner01 said.

A-FREAKING-men.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/16/2007, 05:53 PM
Don't underestimate what a a big talented, deep offensive line can do for a team. Just like how much Troy Smith struggled for Ohio St when their O-line couldn't block Florida up front. A big reason, no probably THE BIG REASON why Colt McCoy had the success he had this year was he had 3 NFL quality, 3 year starter O-lineman blocking for him. I think he is OK, but they were the difference maker.

We look to be at least 8-9 deep next year on the line, possibly 10. Probably are going to have at least 1 lineman that is good enough to start for us 3 out of 4 years coming off the bench. Add to that our starting 5 next year might be our same starting 5 in 2008.

QB is definitely the question mark. QB was a question mark in 2003, a big one, and the QB won the Heisman Trophy.

I don't know how deep we will be at DT but I bet McCoy makes an immediate impact. If you saw any of him in the Army AA game a couple years ago I swear he was the best player on the field.

DE, definitely the second biggest concern to QB. I can't say for a fact that we will be great there but I've seen nothing to suggest that we will suck there. At LB I wouldn't be suprised if with Reed and Reynolds we aren't better overall from day 1 (and yes I think highly of Rufus).

Finally we have some depth at DB. We can always use more but the situation looks as good as it has in several years.

We are flat out loaded at RB and WR.

Our toughest road game next year will be at TT. We get the Canes at home as well as A&M,OSU and MU. The Whorns will still be real good but they lose 60% of arguably the best O-line they have ever had and I think at every position other than QB and DE we look to probably be better.

I'm not saying we will go undefeated necessarily but I don't see a game on the schedule next year where we shouldn't be favored.

DustySooner
1/16/2007, 07:06 PM
LB will be fine. Reynolds, Lofton, and Reed could be the most talented LB trio Stoops will have. Nic Harris will get a lot of time at Nickle and he's great.

I'm so pumped to finally see Reynolds play. I was so excited when we landed this guy. I hope he stays healthy.

What about Lewis Baker? Is he still in the LB mix, or they gonna move him back to DB? He may be a undersized for a LB but the kid can still pack a wallop.

SouthFortySooner
1/16/2007, 08:22 PM
Our clock of greatness was whacked as soon as we were Bomared.

AzianSooner
1/16/2007, 08:40 PM
I learned from the great wisdom wizzard and he said you should not hold your hope high.

snp
1/16/2007, 09:23 PM
What about Lewis Baker? Is he still in the LB mix, or they gonna move him back to DB? He may be a undersized for a LB but the kid can still pack a wallop.

Still doesn't have the size or smarts to be a full time LB. Looks like he's going to get swallowed up in the depth chart unless there's some injuries.

kevpks
1/16/2007, 09:28 PM
Our clock of greatness was whacked as soon as we were Bomared.

I'd say the defending Big XII champs are over Bomar, although his 1:1 TD:INT ratio was real tough to duplicate.

starrca23
1/16/2007, 09:32 PM
don't forget about DeMarco Murray, i really he will be a star.

goingoneight
1/17/2007, 12:28 AM
I'll give Brent Venables one thing... I'm not worried about OUr situation at Linebacker. Dude always provides studs at LB.

Desert Sapper
1/17/2007, 09:07 AM
On the DLine, I think losing Ah You will hurt us more than most are letting on.

He was our do-everything lineman. DE, NG, and DT, he could play them all (I think I saw him as a free safety once as well :smile:). But hopefully, as with our departing star LBs, we are usually able to replace them with good solid kids who develop into stars themselves.

Possibly. I think he was pressed into playing all those positions because he was more experienced than our DTs and had great technique (and intensity). We always try to get the best players on the field at the same time. Having him sitting out plays wasn't helping us. The question is if McCoy is ready to step up and play, if Granger is as good as he looked at times last year, and if our other DTs can avoid getting blown off the ball (like they did early on). If the answer to all of those questions (or even two of the three) is yes, our front four will be dominant, ergo our front seven will be dominant, ergo more turnovers and better defense. It all starts up front. I certainly hope we can address losing three of the five in the DE rotation. John Williams and Alonzo Dotson should be a good starting point. They looked as good as Thibs, Bird, and Ah You when they played. I think our DTs, with another year of experience, should be good, possibly very good (again, if McCoy is as good as he looked in the Army AA Bowl, we could be great at DT). I think some of the youngsters step up and play in the DE rotation, which could be good. Overall, our D looks to be better than last season, which might amount to greatness. The Spring will be a first look (against a potentially very good offense). Time will tell.

soonerspudman
1/17/2007, 01:31 PM
Of special note on D-line, Venables and Stoops need to call out both McCoy and Granger, these guys were both the #1 D-Line prospects in the country out of high school, we need some Switzer-era heat on both of these guys to step up and assume greatness by dominating opposing lines. I think the "eat nails" mentality has been missing from the interior D-line without Dusty, his leaving created a huge hole in attitude up-front on D that has yet to be filled IMO. We need that back again...

MiccoMacey
1/17/2007, 04:08 PM
Sapper,

We also lose Pendleton from the DLine. We really really really really need Granger and McCoy to step up next year.

Desert Sapper
1/17/2007, 04:26 PM
Sapper,

We also lose Pendleton from the DLine. We really really really really need Granger and McCoy to step up next year.

I agree, but Coleman and Bennett were technically the starters. So we have 3/4 from the 4 deep back at DT.

OklahomaTuba
1/17/2007, 04:33 PM
Imagine if Bomar had panned out.

We would be coasting to #8 without a doubt this next year IMO.

Desert Sapper
1/17/2007, 04:36 PM
Imagine if Bomar had panned out.

Imagine if we had taken Darren Sproles seriously in '03.
Imagine if SUC was as bad as we thought they were in '04.
Imagine all the people...:rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
1/17/2007, 05:25 PM
Imagine if we had taken Darren Sproles seriously in '03.
Imagine if SUC was as bad as we thought they were in '04.
Imagine all the people...:rolleyes:

True, its all hindsight, I just can't help thinking what a lurch that dumbass put us in.

If he was half as good as he was billed to have been, and he had a brain, the next two years would be very fun me thinks.

Hopefully they still will be.

TXBOOMER
1/17/2007, 10:45 PM
I read some of these post sometimes and it really makes me think the world would have been much better off if more people used birth control.

Boomer Sooner

Blues1
1/17/2007, 11:06 PM
Here's What I see.....

Lots of New Wrinkles in the Offfense ---- Why ..? -- "It's Time"....!! (Ala West Virgina)
Very Strong Defense ..... Why - ? - Lots of Youngsters have already played and will encouage the new Recruits beyond their raw talent....
Coach Stoops has already said We will Fine at QB Position next Year - I Believe Him....!!!
Much Improved Return and Kicking Game .. Why...?? - (The Vegas Kid - "TVK" It's the new ENA for 2007 -- "TVK") -- :)
Other Info.....
I see this 2007 team Very Hungry and Motivated - Why - ? - Just 2 points away from a Very Great Year..... Very Good is Nice - Very Great much Better.
The Coaches and Players All know Now Anything can be overcome....
The New Stars of Sooner Football is a Wide Open Race......
Get Ready for alot of New Names to Claim their Fame as Sooner Greats......
This IS Oklahoma Football......!!!
Get Ready to Rock ----- :)

O'yea One Last Reason we will be Super in 2007......
Gut Feeling.......(A&M will Beat Texas......:)

FrostySooner
1/18/2007, 03:49 AM
The Defensive End unit could be interesting this off season. Here are the DE's on the roster as of now:

Jeremy Beal
Ben Weyand
Tola Jimoh
John Williams
Alonzo Dotson
Auston English
Pryce Macon
Tim Johnson
Jontae Bumpus

Of course, we know that Williams and Dotson will more than likely be the starters. I have heard some things about Beal and Johnson, but what about English and Macon? Could Cordero Moore or Adrian Taylor possibly get a look as well even though they have gotten bigger to play DT? How about trying Cory Bennett out at DE? Just some things I have thought about.

sooneron
1/18/2007, 08:41 AM
How about trying Cory Bennett out at DE? Just some things I have thought about.
We need DTs with experience just as bad. He's more of a run stuffer.

BIG_IKE
1/18/2007, 09:36 AM
I'm not saying we will go undefeated necessarily but I don't see a game on the schedule next year where we shouldn't be favored.

Why would we be favored against the Whorns? They will be just as loaded as us next year. sure they lose those 3 linemen, but the people behind them were pretty darn good. We return all our DB's and ,WR's, Texas returns all their LB's, WR's,QB's, DT's..

It's hard to pick who will be favored in the RRS

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/18/2007, 09:56 AM
Why would we be favored against the Whorns? They will be just as loaded as us next year. sure they lose those 3 linemen, but the people behind them were pretty darn good. We return all our DB's and ,WR's, Texas returns all their LB's, WR's,QB's, DT's..

It's hard to pick who will be favored in the RRS

I'll amend by comment to say in every other game we will be favored. We might be a slight underdog against the Whorns ( a couple points maybe) but I feel good about our chances against them.

Not to turn this into a thread about the Whorns but they obviously didn't finish the season on a roll. First of all their D-coordinator is now at ISU. They lose 3 NFL quality starters on the o-line. After they beat us last year (or arguably we beat ourselves) they looked pretty average the second half of the year.

They should have lost @Neb but for a late fumble
They beat TT 35-31, TT had the ball late with a chance to win
They lose to KSU and A&M
They rallied to beat the Big 10's 8th place team 6-7 Iowa 26-24

Not saying that we couldn't have lost a couple more games too but Texas was real close to being 8-5 this year.

IMO I don't know that Texas doesn't need to not just remain as good but actually get better in order to beat us next year.

For arguments sake I'll call the game what it looks to be next year, a toss-up.

The rest of the schedule looks real good though.

BIG_IKE
1/18/2007, 12:49 PM
OH, No doubt we can beat the Whorns, it's just a matter of us gelling early. If their secondary does not step up and our QB is solid we will blow them out.

FaninAma
1/18/2007, 12:54 PM
I read some of these post sometimes and it really makes me think the world would have been much better off if more people used birth control.

Boomer Sooner

Talk about your random posts.

I really don't think Stoops has had as much returning talent on both sides of the ball as he will have next year since he's been here at OU. 2003 was close.

Jason White had played in all of 6 games(4 as a starter) before his breakout season of 2003. In 2 of the games he started he played less than a half. So I'm not too worried about the QB situation...especially with Josh as the QB coach.

MojoRisen
1/18/2007, 01:18 PM
Talk about your random posts.

I really don't think Stoops has had as much returning talent on both sides of the ball as he will have next year since he's been here at OU. 2003 was close.

Jason White had played in all of 6 games(4 as a starter) before his breakout season of 2003. In 2 of the games he started he played less than a half. So I'm not too worried about the QB situation...especially with Josh as the QB coach.

Dividing our QB snaps early by 1/3 has hurt us in the past... Curious if we can decide who 1 & 2 are at minimum early on in conditioning and drills and understanding of the offense and how too read defense...

None have enough experience to be solid out of the gate dividing snaps in third...

Maybe it is just me- but we should be able too determine this in a shorter period of time as apposed to game day or just after spring....
Any suggestions??