PDA

View Full Version : LNC = Top 5

OSUAggie
1/16/2007, 03:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?id=2732030

Gottlieb's favorite atmospheres

Oklahoma State: Gallagher-Iba Arena -- the rowdiest arena in the country -- gives me chills just thinking about it. Whereas many of the great venues in college hoops give away same color T-shirts in order to generate school spirit, Oklahoma State fans believe that "real fans wear orange." Period. No freebies needed here. With 13,000 fans right on top of you, the "Hey" song ends right before tip-off with, "We're gonna beat the hell out of you!" and the screaming begins. The noise is unlike any place I have ever played or broadcast, and the passion for the Pokes truly energizes the game. In fact, many players and coaches have told me that they play better at Gallagher-Iba because the building has such great energy. The horn sounds and Toby Keith's "Should have been a Cowboy" comes on. I still have chills.
Illinois: The Orange Krush at Assembly Hall is without question the undisputed king of student spirit groups. In addition to donating $50K to the Jimmy V Foundation and planning events outside of the games, they bring it like no other every game day. The Orange-clad lunatics are not only loyal, they are creative with their singing, chanting and dancing during timeouts! When the game is in progress the Krush is the will behind Bruce Weber's unreal home record. While the team may be a bit down this year, the Krush's spirit never seems to drop.

Kansas: There is no more perfect setting for college basketball than Phog Allen. Just an old-time fieldhouse, too big to be a gym, to quaint to be called an arena, and, oh yeah, maybe the most adoring, knowledgeable fans in college hoops. For it was at the Phog that I played with my shorts on backwards for the first 6 minutes or so, only to have that fact pointed out to me as the students cheered, "Shorts on backwards" until I noticed, called timeout and turned them around. Thanks.

From the Roses strewn all over the floor during Senior Night festivities to "Rock Chalk" being sung to signify a win, The Phog truly is magical.

Southern Illinois: While Carbondale is not the easiest town to get to (it is over two hours from St. Louis) and there is an early-'70s decor in the arena, make no mistake about it -- SIU's students are as loud as their team's defense is stingy. While calling a BracketBusters game that began at 11 p.m. two years ago, there was literally a party going under each basket in the student sections for the entire game. After turning down several invitations to join the party, I watched as the yelling, screaming, berating and cheering lasted from tip to finish. The best part of the Valley is the trash talk between the players and the Dawg Pound -- classic.

Oklahoma: OK, so they only pack the Lloyd Noble Center two or three times a year, but when Texas, Kansas (they come every other year) and Oklahoma State come to town, out comes the student spirit. Walking into my first ****** game (OU vs. OSU) two hours before tipoff and seeing every student seat filled, gazing up at the Gottlieb "Brick-O-Meter," and listening to the entire crowd serenading my team with Willie Nelson's "Mommas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" during the first timeout, was enough to win me over. The LNC is nothing particularly special as far as layout or proximity to the court for students, but their participation in big games makes it a great atmosphere.

OUSKINS
1/16/2007, 03:26 PM
Hey I'm an OU guy-- but to put LNC over Cameron?? Hmmmmm..... And Rupp Arena??? Yikes. And the Dean Dome????? Not seein' it. Thanks though, Doug :)

boomersooner82
1/16/2007, 03:30 PM
It's Gott-dweeb, what do you expect? The guy's clueless (can't-put-on-his-shorts-straight clueless) How that guy has a job I'll never understand.

OSUAggie
1/16/2007, 03:31 PM
haha... A guy compliments OU by putting their dismal arena in one of his top-5 favorites, and you trash him?

SleestakSooner
1/16/2007, 03:57 PM
dumb-a-dee-da, dumb-a-dee-da,
dumb-a-dee-da, dumb-a-dee-da

Happy trails to you...

Collier11
1/16/2007, 04:00 PM
I think he may have been talking about Arenas that he has played in or broadcasted in

OUSKINS
1/16/2007, 04:04 PM
FWIW, I actually really like DG-- I think he knows his stuff and is MUCH more well-rounded when it comes to the overall sports scene than many of his colleauges. I consider him BY FAR the best product the Sports Animal has produced, and I think he's getting his due.

OSUAggie
1/16/2007, 04:21 PM
I think he may have been talking about Arenas that he has played in or broadcasted in

Yah; and his favorites, not necessarily the "best."

King Crimson
1/16/2007, 04:54 PM
i think DG is pretty solid when he talks about NCAA basketball, when he talks about ANYTHING else.....I change the channel.

Boomer.....
1/16/2007, 04:58 PM
If only we could fill it out for more than 2 or 3 games a season.

soonervegas
1/16/2007, 04:59 PM
The LNC will never be a Allen Field House or a Gallagher-Iba, but it could still be a really good arena to watch a basketball game. It doesn't have a bad seat in the house. It really only has one problem....attendance. That place used to be considered one of the tougher places to play in the late 80's early 90's.

People will use the excuse of it's the arena, but less face facts it is the fans. Fans used to show up when we were running up and down the court, but now that defenses have caught up no one wants to go watch a 61-60 thriller. A shame really. Shows that there are very few knowledgeable fans when it comes to OU basketball.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/16/2007, 05:30 PM
The LNC will never be a Allen Field House or a Gallagher-Iba, but it could still be a really good arena to watch a basketball game. It doesn't have a bad seat in the house. It really only has one problem....attendance. That place used to be considered one of the tougher places to play in the late 80's early 90's.

People will use the excuse of it's the arena, but less face facts it is the fans. Fans used to show up when we were running up and down the court, but now that defenses have caught up no one wants to go watch a 61-60 thriller. A shame really. Shows that there are very few knowledgeable fans when it comes to OU basketball.

I know it is a horse that has been beat to death by now (unlike the horsepigs) but the problem with attendance is not (solely) fan apathy. It has as much to do with the ticket policy. The # of tickets sold with the exception of the rivalry games are far greater than the number of people that attend. The Colo game had an official attendance of 9336. I wasn't there but from what I heard the actual attendance wasn't 2/3 of that.

If the policy was similar to how it used to be. Say anyone that wanted to could buy SRO tickets at the door for $15 (arbitrary #) and 5 minutes after tipoff any seat in the lower section was fair game there would be big crowds most nights.

I'd go to a bunch of games myself but I live 3 1/2 hours away. I don't get it why so many people that live within an hour of the campus don't go.

Collier11
1/16/2007, 05:33 PM
If only we could fill it out for more than 2 or 3 games a season.

The problem is that the LNC is not a basketball friendly arena, it is more of a all purpose arena. Instead of spending all of that money renovating it, they should have built a new one. The fans arent close enough to the court, I dont like the way how the seating is set up, and it is dark and bland IMO.

soonervegas
1/16/2007, 05:41 PM
It has as much to do with the ticket policy. The # of tickets sold with the exception of the rivalry games are far greater than the number of people that attend.
If the policy was similar to how it used to be. Say anyone that wanted to could buy SRO tickets at the door for $15 (arbitrary #) and 5 minutes after tipoff any seat in the lower section was fair game there would be big crowds most nights.

RHCF-

I do agree with you to a point. Not letting people into the lower decks after tip off is a joke with a capital J, but I still think the overrriding issue is fan apathy. There are thousands of empty seats in the upper deck and I can tell out that most nights the students number less than 500. 500 on a 30,000 student campus. OU fans are fine as long as Football is rolling. Which is sad because we have a history of being good in both sports.

SleestakSooner
1/16/2007, 05:50 PM
I know plenty of people that would (and do) rather meet up at a local bar in Norman or OKC and watch the OU basketball games on television rather than drive 15 minutes to pay $20 to sit in the rafters while barely being heard when cheering for the players, all the while staring at the WHOLE SECTIONS of empty seats that are right near the court but they cannot move down to and sit in.

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 06:21 PM
They've encouraged people to move down to the lower bowl a few times this year.

OU fans are fine as long as Football is rolling. Which is sad because we have a history of being good in both sports.

After 1999, the LNC started to become a big-game-only arena.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2007, 06:44 PM
I cen't believe Doug didn't mention the time the student section threw fake credit cards at him. I wonder why he didn't mention that?

SleestakSooner
1/16/2007, 07:01 PM
LOL I distinctly recall the time he actually hit a free throw (giving his team the lead) and then turned to the crowd with his finger to his flappy lips. After the feeble attempt to shush the LNC crowd he and his pokes went on to lose by a lot.

I especially enjoyed when he would get the ball in three point land and we would all beg him to shoot!

OUstud
1/16/2007, 07:02 PM
Just get rid of the whole joint-thing and you'll get real fans buying the tickets. Thus, bigger crowds. I noticed while watching the KU-South Carolina game that there were no empty seats to be seen. At SC, not exactly a basketball powerhouse. So it can be done, it isn't totally the fans, it's the policy, IMO.

FWIW, if they took the Crimzone or whatever and extended it all across both sidelines, and the N baseline, plus a section or 2 where they are currently in the NW corner, that would be the best setup.

poke4christ
1/16/2007, 07:45 PM
I know it is a horse that has been beat to death by now (unlike the horsepigs) but the problem with attendance is not (solely) fan apathy. It has as much to do with the ticket policy. The # of tickets sold with the exception of the rivalry games are far greater than the number of people that attend. The Colo game had an official attendance of 9336. I wasn't there but from what I heard the actual attendance wasn't 2/3 of that.

I'd go to a bunch of games myself but I live 3 1/2 hours away. I don't get it why so many people that live within an hour of the campus don't go.

Wisdom be found in this post. Also, I think the requirement of buying bball ticks for football is a handicap to bball and not a help. Might help the money a little bit, but I think even that would be better in the long run without it.

poke4christ
1/16/2007, 07:47 PM
After 1999, the LNC started to become a big-game-only arena.

Around the time that football got good again. Coincidence?

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 07:54 PM
Not at all.

Heck, I remember back in 97 and 98, we were so ready for basketball season to start that me and my friends painted our faces for the exhibition games.

SleestakSooner
1/16/2007, 08:00 PM
Who are you talking to TopDawg? ;)

GoState
1/17/2007, 12:50 PM
I've been to 5 OSU/OU games at LNC. The last two have had an incredible atmosphere. In the '05 game, you guys rushed out to a 19-2 lead and the crowd was really rockin'. The problem with LNC is that it has decent acoustics. While it's good for concerts and campus events, it's not so great for all out 'loud'. GIA has overly bright acoustics, which works wonders for game atmosphere. But we rarely have concerts there - the music echoes in on itself and sounds horrible.

OUstud
1/17/2007, 01:20 PM
There is carpet on the walls...not sure who thought of that bright idea.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/17/2007, 02:34 PM
Not at all.

Heck, I remember back in 97 and 98, we were so ready for basketball season to start that me and my friends painted our faces for the exhibition games.

I think the football team's struggles were definitely a factor in adding excitemnt for the basketball. If you look at programs throughout the country very few have a large fan base passionate about football and hoops. You might find a few teams good at both or a team rise up and have some short term excitement but not over the long haul.

I think a big reason that a program like KU has been as basketball fanatic as they have been over the years is that by and large they have sucked or been mediocre at best in football. If you swapped their football history with Nebraksa I bet Neb would be populated with avid hoops fans.

Still we don't need the fans to be as excited about hoops. More excited would do. The real casual fans will just look at our record this year and just say we suck now. Those of us paying attention can see that the future looks pretty good.

OSUAggie
1/17/2007, 02:44 PM
I think the football team's struggles were definitely a factor in adding excitemnt for the basketball. If you look at programs throughout the country very few have a large fan base passionate about football and hoops. You might find a few teams good at both or a team rise up and have some short term excitement but not over the long haul.

The only schools that come to mind are Oregon and some Big 10 schools, namely Wisky. The SEC schools are decent, but UF wouldn't draw as well if they were, say, a top 50 program instead of what Donovan has turned them into, and Arkansas fans have shown their collective *** with their lack of support for Hog b-ball in the Heath era (I realize the lack of conistent winning contibutes greatly to that).

When a team (or program) is struggling, as is the case currently with OU, it's easy to not go to the game, and just show up for the big ones. If the LNC isn't packed and noisy for the 3 games this year, that's not a good sign.

OklahomaTuba
1/17/2007, 03:07 PM
I HATE LNC. It sucks ***. We need a better, more fan friendly environment, and we need a more fan friendly administration that has some common sense and doesn't require me to buy basketball tickets when I can hardly drive 3 hours to see a 2 hour game.

As much as I despise the aggots, They did do the right thing and expand their high school gym making what looks like a great place to watch college basketball.

I just wish they could get that idiotic HISTORIC sign off their damn arena. I mean really, how much more self promotion can one school do.

OUstud
1/17/2007, 05:19 PM
We don't need a new arena. I know it's on a watertable or whatever, but I don't think the floor needs to be lowered to make seating go up to the court. It can be done, just look at Frank Erwin, the larger version of the LNC. The risors or whatever at the end where the band is doesn't have to be only 3 rows, they could take out the wall and add seats like they did along the sides. The better seats would probably encourage more students to show up, IMO.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/17/2007, 06:13 PM
The only schools that come to mind are Oregon and some Big 10 schools, namely Wisky. The SEC schools are decent, but UF wouldn't draw as well if they were, say, a top 50 program instead of what Donovan has turned them into, and Arkansas fans have shown their collective *** with their lack of support for Hog b-ball in the Heath era (I realize the lack of conistent winning contibutes greatly to that).

When a team (or program) is struggling, as is the case currently with OU, it's easy to not go to the game, and just show up for the big ones. If the LNC isn't packed and noisy for the 3 games this year, that's not a good sign.
There was a time when tickets for Arkansas basketball games was a tough item to get, even after the Hogs moved to the spacious Bud Walton Arena. And, at that time, the football team was struggling and the basketball team was in the midst of their run as national title contenders.
I live in Arkansas, and while Heath is a pretty nice guy (from what I hear), he's in way over his head. I know he inherited a tough situation after the messy Nolan Richardson departure, but his four-plus seasons have largely been unimpressive. It took a major late-season winning streak over Florida, Alabama and Tennessee, among others, last year to save his job. Then they fell in the first round of the NCAA's to Bucknell in Dallas, practically a home away from home for the Hogs. It's kind of like OU going from the Tubbs era to the Sampson era, and Hog fans are growing tired of the games in the 60s and 70s. I'm not sure even if Heath had the team in the top 10 and winning 25 games a year, they would still receive the support they had when Nolan was riding high.

TopDawg
1/17/2007, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I think we sometimes get the wrong idea because we see a school, like Florida for instance, and we wonder how they get such great crowds for football and basketball. But what we forget is that we only see Florida's big games. We don't see Florida v. East Tennessee State. Now, of course, this year Florida probably has had great crowds the whole time, but I think we get a little distorted view of our crowds vs. other strong football schools. Those other schools are probably pretty impressed with our crowds for football and basketball when the only OU bball games they see are vs. UConn, Texas, OSU, Kansas, etc.

In fact, within the past 5 years or so, even North Carolina was struggling to get people to show up for their "smaller" games.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/18/2007, 09:34 AM
On the way home last night I was listening to 610 Sports out of KC. The guys on there, Neal and Marty were having a debate about what arenas in the Big 12 and the old Big 8 were toughest to play in. One guy is a KU guy and the other an OU alum so they had a big debate about Lloyd Noble. I actually in general tended to agree with the KU guy though he admitted to never going to LNC and said he was just repeating what he heard and from what he had seen on TV and was of the opinion that generally speaking that OU through the years has only been a tough place to play because of the team on the floor and not any home court/crowd advantage. The OU guy had covered OU from 1980-1990 so his memories were the Billy Tubbs days when there were some games where the arena was really loud. Especially that MU game where Tubbs PWNED the officials.

Both agreed (suprising since one is a KU fan) that Iowa St is actually the toughest arena to play at and that playing on the road is no longer as tough in general because the student sections by and large are now away from the court and moved into the corners or up higher. (Cheap seats). I was actually suprised to learn that KSU has the most seating available to students. OU was about the lowest, I believe they said 17%.

We aren't the only ones with attendance problems though. MU is drawing about 3K a game right now in a big new arena and they said playing in Austin is like playing at a neutral site. Said you can hear the shoes squeaking on the floor.

sooner518
1/18/2007, 09:57 AM
that damn oval around the court is the devil! the fans are 50 feet away from the court on the 2 sides!

lets play in the fieldhouse!!

OSUAggie
1/18/2007, 10:35 AM
Both agreed (suprising since one is a KU fan) that Iowa St is actually the toughest arena to play at and that playing on the road is no longer as tough in general because the student sections by and large are now away from the court and moved into the corners or up higher. (Cheap seats). I was actually suprised to learn that KSU has the most seating available to students. OU was about the lowest, I believe they said 17%.

Eh... We've won 5 out of the last 7 and you guys have split your last 8 up there... Hilton Magic seems to only work on Kansas a few times, even though KU has won 7 of the last 11 there. Anytime you have a non-winning record at home in the last decade or so against the top 3 programs in the conference, it ain't that tough. They're 3-2 vs. Texas up there, but that isn't enough to make up for their records against OSU, OU and KU.

My vote goes this way...

Basketball
1. Gallagher
1a. Phog
3. Reed
4. Big game LNC
5. Hilton
6. Big game Drum
7. USA
8. Bramledge
9. "We have to detach our new arena from the name of these people but if it were still the Hearnes Center we'd probably be #3 on this list, at worst 4" Arena
10. Coors (only b/c of the altitude)
11. D Center
12. Ferrell Center

Football, just for the hell of it...

1. Memorial Stadium (Sea of Red version)
2. Kyle Field
3. Memorial Stadium (Foker version)
4. Memorial Stadium (former Sooner version)
5. Jones SBC/AT&T/Cingular Stadium
6. Folsom Field
7. Snyder Family Stadium
8. Boone Pickens Stadium
9. Memorial Stadium (Faurot version)
10. Memorial Stadium (Still has a track version)
12. Jack Trice Stadium
12a.Floyd Casey Stadium

GoState
1/18/2007, 05:45 PM
"Especially that MU game where Tubbs PWNED the officials."

Is the game when the refs asked Billy to tell the crowd not to throw stuff? Didn't he get the mic and say something like, "Please don't throw things on the floor...no matter how bad the officiating is", and then promptly got hit with a technical? That cracked me up.

I appreciated Billy. The media would give him grief about some of the lopsided scores OU posted. "You want me to tell my bench not to play their best?!" When the shoe was on the foot (not often), he never whined about getting whipped.

Collier11
1/18/2007, 06:45 PM

Is the game when the refs asked Billy to tell the crowd not to throw stuff? Didn't he get the mic and say something like, "Please don't throw things on the floor...no matter how bad the officiating is", and then promptly got hit with a technical? That cracked me up.

I appreciated Billy. The media would give him grief about some of the lopsided scores OU posted. "You want me to tell my bench not to play their best?!" When the shoe was on the foot (not often), he never whined about getting whipped.

and then he asked where he could find a sooner ringtone!!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/19/2007, 09:25 AM

That would be the one. That was my favorite OU basketball game of all-time. I think that clip of Tubbs will still be shown 50 years from now.