PDA

View Full Version : Calling all computer smartasses

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 01:37 PM
Im fed up with dial up . But My only option is Hughes satellite ,
What say ye ?
Cause ya see I dont know jack about that kinda stuff . But I can Jump start a car :D

SoonerTerry
1/16/2007, 01:40 PM
Anything is better than dial up, or SicEm workin on a car...

SoonerTerry
1/16/2007, 01:41 PM
they got a website?, I'll look it over

SoonerTerry
1/16/2007, 01:47 PM
found their site, holy crap they are EXPENSIVE!! NOT A GOOD DEAL!!

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 01:50 PM
I'm sure you've already seen the pricing. If it's your only option, and you really want high speed internet, go for it.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 01:51 PM
AT&T says i might be able to get Wildblue or some thing like that .

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 01:56 PM
Wildblue appears about $10 per month cheaper, with a less expensive equipment charge.
So I amend my other post. Go for it.

SoonerTerry
1/16/2007, 01:57 PM
ATT looks like they have MUCH better deals.

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 01:59 PM
I always hear about dish network tv folks losing the signal when it rains. Will this satellite innerweb thing have the same problem?

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 02:04 PM
The thing I got in the mail said the att thing was "UP TO : 10 times faster ,than dial up , Not 10 times faster but UP To , My ? is the increased speed gonna be enough to justify the expense ?

skycat
1/16/2007, 02:04 PM
I always hear about dish network tv folks losing the signal when it rains. Will this satellite innerweb thing have the same problem?

Yes. But I think the problem is a little overblown.

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 02:06 PM
Just start drinking cheaper beer. Oh, wait...

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 02:08 PM
Yes. But I think the problem is a little overblown.
Yea the TV thing happens everynow and then but not often . I lose dial up conection a lot more often
Any one have any experience with this stuff or Know some one who has it ?

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 02:09 PM
Just start drinking cheaper beer. Oh, wait...
:P :D

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 02:13 PM
http://slaphog.com/hogblog/?p=250

Wildblue has a monthly limit of 2.3gigs upload and 7.5gigs download, HughesNet is similar, and StarBand has a rolling 7-day limit of 976megs. Those numbers sound fairly high, but the problem is that if you somehow exceed them your access speed is reduced to dial-up. I think I would prefer the StarBand rolling 7-day limit to the monthly limits, but it still seems misleading to sell a high-speed internet connection and then say: “But don’t use it!”.
I have no idea if this is enough.

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 02:14 PM
You sure wouldn't want to spend forever on youtube.

Rocker
1/16/2007, 02:18 PM
try this

http://powervision.sprint.com/mobilebroadband/devices/linksysrouter.html

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 02:19 PM
Sprint aircards don't work outside major metropolitan areas.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 02:49 PM
That was gonna be a ? I dont have a clue how any of this crap works , All I want to be able to do Is open the stuff that Yall post here , 1/2 the time I can , Hell all the time I can start Homeys History posts , get up make a pot of coffee , go to the Bathroom come back , and still be waiting for the pics to load :mad: .
Thanks for the help , But is the the sat. Thing gonna speed this POS up enough to be noticeable ?

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 02:54 PM
You might check this out.
http://www.wildblue.cc/wbforums/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Read what other users have to say.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 02:57 PM
move to civilization ;)
Oh hell NO !:eek:
Id be in jail in 24 hrs , cause ya see I aint civilised :D

Vaevictis
1/16/2007, 04:50 PM
The problem with satellite internet is that while it's high speed, it's very high latency.

That basically means that if you're downloading large files (video or audio streams, programs, etc), you'll see a difference. If you're downloading many small files -- like say, on a message board -- you might not. It's *terrible* for most online video games.

If you think your usage pattern will benefit from that, then by all means do it.

You *might* call your local telco and ask what it would take to get ISDN in your house. ISDN is only 64kbit or 128kbit, but that can still be faster than dialup by a goodly chunk -- especially if your telephone line quality is crap -- and it's low latency. Back in '99, we were only paying about $80/mo for 128kbit, everything included, so I expect the pricing has gone down a little bit.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 04:58 PM
The problem with satellite internet is that while it's high speed, it's very high latency.

That basically means that if you're downloading large files (video or audio streams, programs, etc), you'll see a difference. If you're downloading many small files -- like say, on a message board -- you might not. It's *terrible* for most online video games.

If you think your usage pattern will benefit from that, then by all means do it.

You *might* call your local telco and ask what it would take to get ISDN in your house. ISDN is only 64kbit or 128kbit, but that can still be faster than dialup by a goodly chunk -- especially if your telephone line quality is crap -- and it's low latency. Back in '99, we were only paying about $80/mo for 128kbit, everything included, so I expect the pricing has gone down a little bit.

Thanks for the the response , But can you put that in english ?:D
I talked to Alltel today , they said just keep calling every month bitching , I also just Peemed Booger he has Wildblue and seems happy with it .

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 05:01 PM
Booger is such a bastard for helping you out without posting in this thread, so as we'd all benefit from his knowledge.

Vaevictis
1/16/2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the the response , But can you put that in english ?:D

Basically, if your usage is primarily stuff that involves downloading large files -- like video, audio or programs -- then the satellite will be great for you.

If your usage is primarily stuff that involves downloading small files, then it might not be so good for you. This includes stuff like online video games and often times, message boards (say, soonerfans.com).

An alternative to satellite you might ask your local telco about is ISDN. It's an all digital telephone service that generally has speeds of 64k or 128k, and is often available in rural or out of the way areas. ISDN is beneficial because it's low latency, and unlike a modem, you'll always get the advertised speeds.

One of the problems people using modems out in rural areas have is that the telephone line quality is often crap -- even if you have a 56k modem, you might only get 28.8k or 14.4k speeds out of your lines because of their low quality. ISDN won't have this problem.

Another advantage of ISDN is that at the higher speed -- 128k -- it's really two digital telephone lines rolled into one. You can set it up so that when you receive a call or make one, it preempts one of the lines, dropping you to 64k... but the advantage there is that if you're on the phone, you probably don't care, *and* it saves you some money in the form of not having to have a third telephone line for voice.

I'm just giving you another option here. I've used ISDN in the past, and I liked it a lot. It's going to be slower in throughput than satellite, but most of what I do is small file stuff and highly impacted by latency, so ISDN ended up being the better deal for me.

bluedogok
1/16/2007, 05:15 PM
In the past there have been some HughesNet/DirecTV discount packages, you might check into that. I know there have been some rural fixed microwave services in some smaller towns like the Sprint Broadband Direct that I had in OKC. You might see if any of those are available.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 05:19 PM
Basically, if your usage is primarily stuff that involves downloading large files -- like video, audio or programs -- then the satellite will be great for you.

If your usage is primarily stuff that involves downloading small files, then it might not be so good for you. This includes stuff like online video games and often times, message boards (say, soonerfans.com).

An alternative to satellite you might ask your local telco about is ISDN. It's an all digital telephone service that generally has speeds of 64k or 128k, and is often available in rural or out of the way areas. ISDN is beneficial because it's low latency, and unlike a modem, you'll always get the advertised speeds.

One of the problems people using modems out in rural areas have is that the telephone line quality is often crap -- even if you have a 56k modem, you might only get 28.8k or 14.4k speeds out of your lines because of their low quality. ISDN won't have this problem.

Another advantage of ISDN is that at the higher speed -- 128k -- it's really two digital telephone lines rolled into one. You can set it up so that when you receive a call or make one, it preempts one of the lines, dropping you to 64k... but the advantage there is that if you're on the phone, you probably don't care, *and* it saves you some money in the form of not having to have a third telephone line for voice.

I'm just giving you another option here. I've used ISDN in the past, and I liked it a lot. It's going to be slower in throughput than satellite, but most of what I do is small file stuff and highly impacted by latency, so ISDN ended up being the better deal for me.

So I call My phone company and ask for ISDn ?
Booger said the wild blue thing was ok . But I just called the bastages and they say Its ****ing full .:mad: till at least march .
Oh and what in hell is ISDN ? :confused:

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 05:26 PM
Hope this helps :)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISDN

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 05:27 PM
oops. My bad. Try this one.
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISDN

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 05:29 PM
Hope this helps :)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISDN
Wait I gotta go catch a chicken . Oh **** never mind dogs just killed the last one :eek:

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 05:31 PM
oops. My bad. Try this one.
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISDN
and Here I thot I was booku dinkidoa !:eek:

Vaevictis
1/16/2007, 05:35 PM
So I call My phone company and ask for ISDn ?

I'm saying to look into it. I'm not certain it would be best for you. But yeah, basically call them up and ask about it.

Oh and what in hell is ISDN ? :confused:

It's a telephone service that runs digital telephone lines out to your location. These lines run at 64k, and because they're digital, they don't suffer from signal quality degredation like a lot of the analog options do -- especially in rural areas.

You can "trunk" two ISDN lines together into one line passing data at 128k, and use it for internet service. And when you need to split them and use one for voice, you can do that on demand, and when you're done with your call, they'll automatically go back to one combined line at 128k.

ISDN is the slowest of all the "high speed" options, but it's also one of the oldest and is available all over the place.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 05:42 PM
I'm saying to look into it. I'm not certain it would be best for you. But yeah, basically call them up and ask about it.

It's a telephone service that runs digital telephone lines out to your location. These lines run at 64k, and because they're digital, they don't suffer from signal quality degredation like a lot of the analog options do -- especially in rural areas.

You can "trunk" two ISDN lines together into one line passing data at 128k, and use it for internet service. And when you need to split them and use one for voice, you can do that on demand, and when you're done with your call, they'll automatically go back to one combined line at 128k.

ISDN is the slowest of all the "high speed" options, but it's also one of the oldest and is available all over the place.
Thanks Bro
Im on ignore with alltel now !
when I 1st moved to the boonies , there were very few out here . I lived here for 2 an a 1/2 yrs with out lectric . then the damn :texan: s started moving in around me and made lectric affordable . Now those bastages have dsl , but Im still 2000 ft to far out for em :mad:

OUHOMER
1/16/2007, 06:19 PM
I am in the same boat 28.8k is all i can get. my son has a friend who claims to get dish service for about $60.00 thru AT &T. I talked to AT &T before but they claim they dont have it. So I dont know.

It sucks, i dont even bother trying to download a youtube.

SleestakSooner
1/16/2007, 06:33 PM
One thing that also causes latency is your own machine or the server that your machine is trying to connect to. I have the very high speed cox connection and at times it rocks. But there are times when downloading threads on SF or other forums that it takes a really long time. This could be due to my video card being 4 years old or the fact that I am only running with a 1 gig processor.

So in other words, if you are running windows 98 on a system that was built before the turn of the century it would be a good time to upgrade that first. If not all the high speed internet access in the world won't help you.

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 07:14 PM
this Pos is a yr old
The IDNS folks are possed to call me tommorow ?
It looks like hughes may be My only option , That or More patience than Job .:eek:
Homer that is why I want a faster thingy , Cause I miss out on so much of the fun here On SF. Com :mad:

OUinFLA
1/16/2007, 07:36 PM
That was gonna be a ? I dont have a clue how any of this crap works , All I want to be able to do Is open the stuff that Yall post here , 1/2 the time I can , Hell all the time I can start Homeys History posts , get up make a pot of coffee , go to the Bathroom come back , and still be waiting for the pics to load :mad: .
Thanks for the help , But is the the sat. Thing gonna speed this POS up enough to be noticeable ?

I just thought you were...............slow.
:D

soonerboomer93
1/16/2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks Bro
Im on ignore with alltel now !
when I 1st moved to the boonies , there were very few out here . I lived here for 2 an a 1/2 yrs with out lectric . then the damn :texan: s started moving in around me and made lectric affordable . Now those bastages have dsl , but Im still 2000 ft to far out for em :mad:

Tell them to install a bigger flux capacitor in their dsl whosamajigger broadcasting location

soonerboomer93
1/16/2007, 08:02 PM

Signal loss during rain should only occur during major storms. Normally people have signal loss during rain because the dish was only peaked to get the minimum signal required and not to get the best possible signal for the dishes location.

I generally treated signal loss during light rain as an indication that there was some other problem and the rain only aggrivated it. Sometimes the dish may not be mounted correctly or something may have knocked the dish out of alignment (many times roofers would do this).

olevetonahill
1/16/2007, 08:11 PM
I just thought you were...............slow.
It takes a slow hand :D

OUHOMER
1/21/2007, 07:23 PM
talked to wildblue, it will be march before they have any room. they have to launch another satilite. First is full....

olevetonahill
1/21/2007, 07:26 PM
talked to wildblue, it will be march before they have any room. they have to launch another satilite. First is full....
What they told me , its either wait a coupla mo months or go with Hughes .
Hell Ive waited years so a few Mo months aint gonna kill me :(

GottaHavePride
1/22/2007, 12:21 AM
One thing that also causes latency is your own machine or the server that your machine is trying to connect to. I have the very high speed cox connection and at times it rocks. But there are times when downloading threads on SF or other forums that it takes a really long time. This could be due to my video card being 4 years old or the fact that I am only running with a 1 gig processor.

Memory. Upgrading the memory in your computer will actually help your interwebs run faster. I'm not sure why, but it made a noticeable difference when I added an extra half-gig to my computer.

1stTimeCaller
1/22/2007, 01:40 AM
Vet, quite a few of us in the oil patch have Hughes. I don't have it yet. Going to get it in March or April. Everyone loves it. I've piggybacked off of their signal through a wireless router they had setup and the internet was just as fast if not faster than my Cingular air card.

Most of the guys paid about $900 for the equipment and setup but I found a satellite place in Durant that has the same stuff for $500. I can't remember the name but they also sell Wildblue. Call DishNetwork and ask them for a DishNetwork retailer in Durant. That's how I found them.

They said that hitting the satellite for DirecTV and DishNetwork is like aiming at a pie plate in space and aiming the Hughes Net was like trying to hit a thimble. You'll probably never touch yours once it gets professionally installed so you won't have to worry about that.

soonerhubs
6/13/2007, 02:27 PM
I'm just curious to see if anyone got hughes net yet and what they think of it. I'm looking for that option for my folks on Lake Tenkiller. BTW I think the prices have dropped significantly.

slickdawg
6/13/2007, 02:33 PM
Find someone doing wireless internet using the Motorola Canopy system in your area, it RAWKS!

SoonerBorn68
6/13/2007, 02:39 PM
Lots of wireless broadband coverage for the smaller towns is becoming available.

http://www.onelasvegas.com/wireless/OK.html

I've got Wavelinx & it's better than satellite innerweb--which was my only option before.

Scott D
6/13/2007, 03:13 PM
Google is your friend

soonerhubs
6/13/2007, 07:04 PM
:( None for Braggs/Paradise Hill area. Oh well.